• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK set to trigger Brexit on March 29

When should the UK celebrate Independence Day?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkyJoe

If they did it directly in one fell swoop, sure. But that's why they're slowly chipping away at it instead, by forcing more services on them and not providing enough money for them, among other things.

They might offload contractors and suppliers etc, but it won't go as far as medicine is a business like the US. The NHS always polls top in priorities, with the general public. It's as British as a cup of tea.

They might offload contractors and suppliers etc, but it won't go as far as medicine is a business like the US. The NHS always polls top in priorities, with the general public. It's as British as a cup of tea.

If agree... But the public keep voting conservatives in. They're deliberately trying to leave the NHS with as little as they can manage with the ultimate goal being it becoming a business. They barely even try and hide it any more.

Jackpot

Banned
From the recent FBI hearings:

Congressman Schiff: "Would they [Russia] like to see more Brexits?"

Comey: "Yes."

When both Russia and Trump are in favour of something, and the rest of the world is against, it should be screaming fucking alarm bells that this is the worst thing you could do.

Micael

Any government would be out on their arse in the next election, if this were to happen.

Maybe I am misinformed since I am not even from the UK, but to the best of my knowledge it is already happening, obviously you won't go from NHS to private health care by next week, but between giving out more and more contracts to private firms, having someone that is wildly incompetent for health secretary (assuming you want it to work), and more importantly not increasing funding enough to keep up with the increasing demand caused by an aging population, the NHS is being propped to fail, at which point I would assume a private health care system will be politically viable.

Brexit is going to be great to pull these kinds of moves too, they will be able to bury a lot of shady stuff in the middle of brexit negotiation news and so on, which should help to expedite the transition.

Coxy100

Banned
From the recent FBI hearings:

When both Russia and Trump are in favour of something, and the rest of the world is against, it should be screaming fucking alarm bells that this is the worst thing you could do.

Welcome to the new world! People who vote leave don't think like that sadly (in general).

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'm definitely in the "make the most of it" camp now.

At this point I'm finding the snide comments from some who hope it fails just to say "told you so" as irritating as the nonsensical ranting from the ardent leavers.

I really hope we do succeed.

MilkyJoe

If agree... But the public keep voting conservatives in. They're deliberately trying to leave the NHS with as little as they can manage with the ultimate goal being it becoming a business. They barely even try and hide it any more.

They keep voting conservatives because the opposition is in the worst state that I can remember. But if the Conservatives embarked on a full on NHS closure of the NHS, or a complete off hand, then I could run for PM and would stand more chance of getting the job than them keeping their seats. It's political suicide to even suggest it. You'll probably see a fair few departments offloaded for back handers, but you're not going to see a day when people are organizing their own health insurance, paying different premiums. Touch wood...

Maybe I am misinformed since I am not even from the UK, but to the best of my knowledge it is already happening, obviously you won't go from NHS to private health care by next week, but between giving out more and more contracts to private firms, having someone that is wildly incompetent for health secretary (assuming you want it to work), and more importantly not increasing funding enough to keep up with the increasing demand caused by an aging population, the NHS is being propped to fail, at which point I would assume a private health care system will be politically viable.

Brexit is going to be great to pull these kinds of moves too, they will be able to bury a lot of shady stuff in the middle of brexit negotiation news and so on, which should help to expedite the transition.

As above. There's no conspiracy that it's being sabotaged, what you have here is a government of complete fuckwits that were never publicly voted in. Cameron fucked off, after betting the farm on a no vote, and these muppets moved in to stamp on the pieces.

Flintty

At this point I'm finding the snide comments from some who hope it fails just to say "told you so" as irritating as the nonsensical ranting from the ardent leavers.

That's more like it, this is refreshing to see, rather than spitting vitriol and hatred 👍

Dear UK:

1avjuz.jpg

Miles X

Noticed ASDA is getting a lot more expensive lately aswell, don't think the actual price has been hiked but their sales are worse and not as often as they used to be on certain things (beans, etc)

Everything is always getting more expensive. Is literally everything bad that happens in this country now going to be blamed on Brexit? As if, if we voted to remain we'd be living in some paradise ...

Also the self pity/self hate by brits is nauseating and pathetic, as if all the great that our country has done/is doing has vanished and we're just a big pile of shit worth nothing now. Really, get a perspective.

cartesian

Brilliant. Typifies exactly what I saying earlier. Total uninformed optimism in the face of mounting irrefutable evidence to the contrary. Tell me, what exactly would it take for a bit of introspection and to admit "maybe I made a poor choice"? So far, the tanking currency, 92% decrease in EU nationals applying to become nurses in the NHS, 40% spike in hate crimes or the Leave campaigns promises tumbling like a house of cards within days of the result haven't been enough to sway you,

But still, not to worry, at least we won't be dead! Every cloud, eh?
I understand that you're angry and you want someone to blame, but in my defence, I'm not as obstinate, naive, or deluded as you think I am. My reasoning on Brexit is fairly considered and complex; a large part of me wanted to vote remain and I hesitated in the polling booth. In the end, after many months of what you would call extensive 'introspection', I gradually shifted from a strongly pro-EU position towards favouring leaving the EU. All that introspection and reasoning doesn't mean that I can't still be wrong, of course; I constantly question whether I've misjudged the evidence in front of me and I can't be certain that I haven't. But I'm a long way from an uninformed optimist; indeed, I don't know it for sure, but I have a hunch that I'd comfortably fall within the 75th percentile or higher of what you might call 'informed pessimists' on NeoGAF, at least when it comes to the study and review of public policy in the British and European context.

What would it take to make me think that Brexit is/was a disaster for Britain? Clear, substantial and permanent declines in economic output ('clear' meaning a consensus of accumulated and decisive evidence, not isolated data points or changes within margins of error; 'substantial' meaning severe decline relative to previous UK growth rates and European comparators; 'permanent' meaning declines across a 5-10 year period and beyond as I think we need to measure Brexit beyond the transition years, which are not likely to reveal the real long-term impacts on UK growth and productivity). I would also accept serious, substantial and long-term declines in public services (operating costs, quality of outcomes, efficiency, and so on - as much as such things can be measured and linked to Brexit), sharp and sustained rises in inflation and the cost of living, declines in skilled immigration, declines in start-up growth, declines in foreign direct investment, declines in national productivity, sharp and permanent declines in imports and export industries, and so on, as supporting evidence.

I also recognise that there have already been some negative consequences of Brexit; the depreciation of GBP, the mutilation of Toblerone, etc. And there are worrying indicators of discontent in financial services, among doctors and nurses, and high-skilled European professionals, and in other sectors. But so far I don't think any of these things can reasonably be said to amount to, or have yet materialised as, full-blown national disasters at the present moment in time. In other words, I think that if Brexit is to be a disaster, I don't think that disaster has directly impacted us yet. None of this is good but we have yet to see how these things will play out in the long term. It's theoretically possible that arrangements may be made to mitigate damage in this sectors and areas; that the banks will offshore some Euro clearing jobs but keep the bulk of the work in London; that Hunt's mismanagement of the NHS is a seperate issue from Brexit and that conflating the two will not help us fix the problems arising from either; that new systems will be able to attract high-skilled talent from other continents to offset losses from Europe.

I'm not a naive optimist. If Brexit is a clear disaster I will need to accept it. But I can't yet say that I was wrong about Brexit because it hasn't happened yet; it's a vast, complex and entirely novel piece of public policy and it'll be some time before I'm able to say whether it has, on balance, succeeded or failed. I'm not going to explain why I voted the way I did, because I don't think anyone here (including myself) is going to change their mind on this, so it's a pointless argument. But I did want to chip in from a leave perspective.

Noticed ASDA is getting a lot more expensive lately aswell, don't think the actual price has been hiked but their sales are worse and not as often as they used to be on certain things (beans, etc)

Yeah this is whats screwing me over. We usually only buy stuff on roll back but the choice is thinning out and what is there isn't as much of a discount anymore. We've always lived close to the pay cheque so it's easy for those little additions to make all the difference. I mean no doubt we'll get by, but things were better than this and it makes me almost depressed to think its something I'll not have again in my lifetime.

Then we have PIP and I'm not even sure if my gf will be qualified under their new terms despite experts thinking otherwise. Just a lot of rough times coming.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I can't wait to buy genuine British Mom and Pop pillows now that the jackboot of Big Europe isn't holding down pillowmakers with their onerous regulations. Rule Britannia.

TimmmV

I understand that you're angry and you want someone to blame, but in my defence, I'm not as obstinate, naive, or deluded as you think I am. My reasoning on Brexit is fairly considered and complex; a large part of me wanted to vote remain and I hesitated in the polling booth. In the end, after many months of what you would call extensive 'introspection', I gradually shifted from a strongly pro-EU position towards favouring leaving the EU. All that introspection and reasoning doesn't mean that I can't still be wrong, of course; I constantly question whether I've misjudged the evidence in front of me and I can't be certain that I haven't. But I'm a long way from an uninformed optimist; I don't know it for sure, but I have a hunch that I'd comfortably fall within the 75th percentile or higher of what you might call 'informed pessimists' on NeoGAF, at least when it comes to public policy in the British and European context.

And what exactly were your reasons to change from Remain to Leave?

I see posts like this a lot, where someone insists they did a lot of research, and put a lot of thought into their vote, but then never actually reveal the arguments/evidence that convinced them. It's always a bit suspect to me tbh.

Other paragraphs

This reads to me that you will only really be willing to accept that Brexit was a bad idea if in 10 years time the country is in a much worse state, but that doesn't explain what good you think will happen or is happening since the referendum.

The problem is that undoing Brexit will be really hard, so its not just a matter of trying something out for a decade and then choosing whether to keep it or not, you have to make an decision about what you believe will happen - and so far pretty much all of the impact of voting to leave has been negative.

So yeah, you kind of dodged the question, he asked what evidence there is that this was a good decision, and your reply was basically that you'll only know whether you made the correct decision in 10 years time. That doesn't answer why you made it in the first place

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I can't wait to buy genuine British Mom and Pop pillows now that the jackboot of Big Europe isn't holding down pillowmakers with their onerous regulations. Rule Britannia.

To be fair, the best pillows I've ever had were made by a tiny company in North Wales.

The problem is that undoing Brexit will be really hard, so its not just a matter of trying something out for a decade and then choosing whether to keep it or not, you have to make an decision about what you believe will happen - and so far pretty much all of the impact of voting to leave has been negative.

Undoing it is functionally impossible, not just hard. We will never, ever get the same good membership deal we have now if and when we leave the EU.

theaface

I don't want to see this country fail either, but that doesn't make a dent in my pessimistic outlook. I see a lot of "make the most of it" and "we need to unite and make this a success" posts in various places online, but every time they just read like meaningless vague words.

For instance what should I, as a very ordinary citizen, be doing to make Brexit a success? I go to work and pay my taxes and NI contributions. Is there some other Brexit duty I'm not fulfilling? It seems to me like those kinds of comments are essentially shorthand for "stop complaining now, it's making me uncomfortable / spoiling the party".

Since June 24th, not one person who's espoused coming together to make a success of Brexit, or to make the most of it, has followed that up with the slightest suggestion as to how. Perhaps you could tell me, an average Joe, how I could/should make the most of Brexit? I don't mean that in a snide way, I genuinely want to know.

Ac30

Good luck, UK. The much weaker pound has made studying there next year much more palatable, I must admit. Then again no more EU tuition for me in 2 years :(

Micael

I don't want to see this country fail either, but that doesn't make a dent in my pessimistic outlook. I see a lot of "make the most of it" and "we need to unite and make this a success" posts in various places online, but every time they just read like meaningless vague words.

For instance what should I, as a very ordinary citizen, be doing to make Brexit a success? I go to work and pay my taxes and NI contributions. Is there some other Brexit duty I'm not fulfilling? It seems to me like those kinds of comments are essentially shorthand for "stop complaining now, it's making me uncomfortable / spoiling the party".

Since June 24th, not one person who's espoused coming together to make a success of Brexit, or to make the most of it, has followed that up with the slightest suggestion as to how. Perhaps you could tell me, an average Joe, how I could/should make the most of Brexit? I don't mean that in a snide way, I genuinely want to know.

If you are in the financial sector becoming a nurse or a doctor is a potential way to help with Brexit.

As above. There's no conspiracy that it's being sabotaged, what you have here is a government of complete fuckwits that were never publicly voted in. Cameron fucked off, after betting the farm on a no vote, and these muppets moved in to stamp on the pieces.

Don't think what is happening with the NHS only started to happen recently, Jeremy Hunt has been Health Secretary for a few years now, but yes we ofc cannot know with absolute certainty if what is happening is just pure intent to privatize health care, or if its just sheer incompetence, and ofc we certainly do not know how far it will go.
Either way one should not underestimate the ability of fuckwits that weren't voted in to mess things up, I mean US currently has a fuckwit that wasn't voted in for their president, we are in a very topic whose subject wouldn't exist if it wasn't for a bunch of fuckwits being utterly bad at their job, both from the remain side (which was terrible) to the leave side (which was horrendous).

MadeULook

Good luck UKGaf. It's unfortunate that fear and xenophobia is what resulted in this mess you have got to live in. Hope those people who voted yes get hit by this the hardest.

Make the most of what? How does this benefit me in any way, shape or form? It's all very well and good preaching the unity thing, but there's no making the most of something when that something doesn't even exist!

Good luck UKGaf! Hope everything works out for you all in the end.

My sister is gonna be moving to the UK this year so I REALLY hope things remain stable.

Sarek

Crazy to think that for the next 20-30 years at least UK will not be part of the EU. Most of us will be close to retirement age by the time there is any real chance of UK rejoining. It is a sad future in a time when we need European unity more than in decades.

Seems in keeping with the general level of planning. Fuck all

Going to get my holiday currency this week as I expect the pound to tank some more when the UK pulls the trigger on the gun it jammed against it's own temple.

Trump is a disaster, but a disaster that will last for 4 or 8 years at most. Climate change aside, he can be recovered from relatively quickly, potentially.

Brexit will ruin things for millions of people for a generation at least.

Saying that Brexit is somehow less recoverable than Trump is rediculous...They are both disasters and many arguments can be made that Trump has further reaching effects than Brexit. Brexit in the long term is also 'recoverable'...the UK could of course re-join the EU in the future...

Burai

shitonmychest57

That's the problem in a nutshell. We have a globalised society that's longing for a nationalist future without really quite understanding what that means. Posting about how globalisation failed on their Chinese-made tablets sold to them by US and Korean companies, running on electricity supplied by the French before popping down to the German supermarket in their Japanese cars running on petrol from the Gulf states so they can buy food from mainland Europe

The way we make a success of Brexit is by leaving all that behind and that fact is that none of these morons are willing to make any level of personal sacrifice to make that happen. We see it time and time again. "How dare these people buy up our Cadbury's and move production abroad and reduce the quality! I'm outraged! So outraged I'll tell everyone I'm never buying from Cadbury's again! But I won't actually do it. Cos Tesco's have a 2 for £5 on big Easter eggs and I don't like Nestle or Mars chocolate."

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Make the most of what? How does this benefit me in any way, shape or form? It's all very well and good preaching the unity thing, but there's no making the most of something when that something doesn't even exist!

Listen, if wallowing in the negative pleases you, then that's fine, I'd just rather not be fucking miserable every time I hear the word "Brexit".

Fine by me, as long as they have a general election the day after (which of course they won't).

If they had a snap election they would win more votes.

Labour are finished and the people who voted Brexit would vote Conservative because they listened to them.

We need to hold on and see what happens.

It may in the end be good. May be crap. May be the same as always... We are in for a wild ride...

This is purely anecdotal and I wish I could provide more details than just a vague post, but I was attending a dinner recently and there were two acquittance's of my fathers there who surprisingly upbeat about Brexit and they were talking about it being a good thing in terms of investments and opportunities.

I'm not entirely what they were alluding to nor did I have the chance to listen into the conversation further, but they did seem very pleased. I should add these were people who work in the city and hold relatively high up positions in their respective companies.

border

This is purely anecdotal and I wish I could provide more details than just a vague post, but I was attending a dinner recently and there were two acquittance's of my fathers there who surprisingly upbeat about Brexit and they were talking about it being a good thing in terms of investments and opportunities.

There are plenty of investments and opportunities if you know a company or currency is going to collapse. Just because someone can make money from Brexit doesn't mean it will be a good thing.

Rodelero

I understand that you're angry and you want someone to blame, but in my defence, I'm not as obstinate, naive, or deluded as you think I am. My reasoning on Brexit is fairly considered and complex; a large part of me wanted to vote remain and I hesitated in the polling booth. In the end, after many months of what you would call extensive 'introspection', I gradually shifted from a strongly pro-EU position towards favouring leaving the EU. All that introspection and reasoning doesn't mean that I can't still be wrong, of course; I constantly question whether I've misjudged the evidence in front of me and I can't be certain that I haven't. But I'm a long way from an uninformed optimist; indeed, I don't know it for sure, but I have a hunch that I'd comfortably fall within the 75th percentile or higher of what you might call 'informed pessimists' on NeoGAF, at least when it comes to the study and review of public policy in the British and European context.

What would it take to make me think that Brexit is/was a disaster for Britain? Clear, substantial and permanent declines in economic output ('clear' meaning a consensus of accumulated and decisive evidence, not isolated data points or changes within margins of error; 'substantial' meaning severe decline relative to previous UK growth rates and European comparators; 'permanent' meaning declines across a 5-10 year period and beyond as I think we need to measure Brexit beyond the transition years, which are not likely to reveal the real long-term impacts on UK growth and productivity). I would also accept serious, substantial and long-term declines in public services (operating costs, quality of outcomes, efficiency, and so on - as much as such things can be measured and linked to Brexit), sharp and sustained rises in inflation and the cost of living, declines in skilled immigration, declines in start-up growth, declines in foreign direct investment, declines in national productivity, sharp and permanent declines in imports and export industries, and so on, as supporting evidence.

I also recognise that there have already been some negative consequences of Brexit; the depreciation of GBP, the mutilation of Toblerone, etc. And there are worrying indicators of discontent in financial services, among doctors and nurses, and high-skilled European professionals, and in other sectors. But so far I don't think any of these things can reasonably be said to amount to, or have yet materialised as, full-blown national disasters at the present moment in time. In other words, I think that if Brexit is to be a disaster, I don't think that disaster has directly impacted us yet. None of this is good but we have yet to see how these things will play out in the long term. It's theoretically possible that arrangements may be made to mitigate damage in this sectors and areas; that the banks will offshore some Euro clearing jobs but keep the bulk of the work in London; that Hunt's mismanagement of the NHS is a seperate issue from Brexit and that conflating the two will not help us fix the problems arising from either; that new systems will be able to attract high-skilled talent from other continents to offset losses from Europe.

I'm not a naive optimist. If Brexit is a clear disaster I will need to accept it. But I can't yet say that I was wrong about Brexit because it hasn't happened yet; it's a vast, complex and entirely novel piece of public policy and it'll be some time before I'm able to say whether it has, on balance, succeeded or failed. I'm not going to explain why I voted the way I did, because I don't think anyone here (including myself) is going to change their mind on this, so it's a pointless argument. But I did want to chip in from a leave perspective.

Time will tell whether you are a naive optimist or not, but what you certainly must be is an optimist, for you have voted for total chaos despite clearly understanding the myriad risks and potential downsides. I have to slightly wonder at what massive upside you foresaw from Brexit that made the risk worth it.

Did I make it in this thread before "I voted for Brexit but there's no reason to explain my vote to you all!" or are we still see the phenomena of people refusing to explain why they voted to leave?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Did I make it in this thread before "I voted for Brexit but there's no reason to explain my vote to you all!" or are we still waiting on the phenomena of people refusing to explain why they voted to leave?

Very intrigued to see how it plays out. It's going to be a turbulent time for sure, but I'm bullish about our future.

And I say this as a left-leaning 26-year-old who voted to remain.

I'm with you . I was torn on June 23rd but voted reluctantly to remain mainly because I didn't really think things are all that bad .
If things do turn out as terrible as the majority of gaffers who post in these threads believe then it's the youngins who I fear for.
It will be one lost generation at least, who leave education in this next 5 years into a wasteland as far as a decent career is concerned . Still at least without free movement there will be plenty of opportunities in the fields of Lincolnshire or coffee shops throughout the country .
What chance will anyone have who isn't currently a homeowner of getting a foot on the property ladder?
Banks will not approve mortgage applications as freely in a tanking economy. A loss of tax revenues from business that has relocated to remaining EU countries will ensure no money available for social or affordable housing schemes, so prices will sky rocket in the rental market .
Public services will suffer and the poor and disabled will see benefits cut to the bone .
University funding from the EU will all but disappear ensuring difficult times for academic graduates looking for a career in research and the gutting of financial sectors will undoubtedly restrict opportunities there.
For once I'm seeing the benefit of being one of Thatchers children who did as she told us and bought a house , embraced the self employment culture in a low tax , low NICS culture and made hay while the sun shone .
Good luck young GAF you will need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom