• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could only buy one: A Hat in Time vs Yooka Laylee

A.J.

Banned
A Hat in Time is the better game by a wide margin. It's a shame how they handled the Jontron situation though and they deserve any lost success because of it.

Opa-Pa

Even without the Jontron controversy theres still enough stuff about Gears for Breakfast thats rubbed me the wrong way between the lead dev doxxing someone back in the day, apparent poor treatment of artists, and a weird tweet they deleted this morning where they antagonized Gamespot for listing the voice acting as a negative in their review (not really a major thing but still something that left a bad taste in my mouth about devs who keep leaving a bad taste in my mouth)

I regret being in a position where I cant refund what I spent on the game a few years back because I wouldnt pay for the game today.

Jesus Christ, what's the deal with this game's devs, yikes. I was planning on waiting to play YL on Switch and get AHIT eventually if they ever removed that piece of garbage's line, but seeing this... Yeah, no thanks.

Also props to the dev speaking up against the game despite having worked in it. As a brown man I totally feel your disdain for the message it sends, and I'm sorry you had to get involved in a project like that...

Cyanity

Banned
A Hat in Time is a great game. Just because they didn't remove JonTron's voice acting doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it. Tbh I couldn't even tell which character was his (unless I missed it?).

edit - There's actually a patch you can buy that turns all the voice acting into gibberish. Most of the voice acting is garbage anyway, so yea.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Really now?

Is the rest of your team aware of this controversy going on?

They're aware, they just don't give a shit, such is why they don't deserve my money. I might buy the soundtrack at some point, as I've been floored by some of the tracks that I've heard on youtube, but I'm not buying this game without the developers at the very least making a statement about why they chose to allow a white supremacist to remain as a credited VO role and at least commenting on Mecha the Slag's past and his propensity for theft.

And yes, buying the game means you condone white supremacy, or at the very least it doesn't perturb you enough to deter your financial support of a product that engenders the employment of white supremacists and thieves.

BigEmil

A Hat in Time is better than Yooka Laylee in many aspects of gameplay

Controls, levels design, music, characters etc is much better in A Hat in Time

A Hat in Time is a great game. Just because they didn't remove JonTron's voice acting doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it. Tbh I couldn't even tell which character was his (unless I missed it?).
→
edit - There's actually a patch you can buy that turns all the voice acting into gibberish. Most of the voice acting is garbage anyway, so yea.
But it's super expensive. I think the most user-friendly way would be that someone makes a mod that specifically disables that NPC's voice.

Yeah its so stupid that people dont buy the game because of 2 or 3 lines of dialogue.

You wouldnt even notice if it wouldnt be here such a big deal that he is in it.

mas8705

Haven't played either, but judging from gameplay, A Hat in Time looks to be the better game.

Yeah its so stupid that people dont buy the game because of 2 or 3 lines of dialogue.

From what I was able to find, it is barely 20 seconds...

pakkit

Banned
i think it was on reddit where someone articulated that hat in time has more soul. the levels and world seem to be doing their own thing, even as the game cherrypicks from plenty of beloved franchises. yooka-laylee on the other hand, just wants you to know it is a spiritual successor to banjo.

TheYanger

OOOOOR, I could not buy the game, and especially not buy their 'racist removal' dlc you're trying to sell me on. They can do that themselves thanks.

poodaddy

Gold Member

Yeah man it's so stupid that some people don't like to give their money to alt righters, eugenics supporters, nazi sympathizers, and thieves right? What a bunch of weirdos.

Yooka Laylee is probably the more inferior in terms of overall game play and appeal, but the controversy surrounding A Hat In Time leads me to side with Y-L every day of the week. This comes from so one who loves both Banjos, dislikes DK64 and thoroughly enjoyed Mario 64 & Sunshine but hates almost everything Y-L had to offer.

Still glad I supported Playtonic over Gears for Breakfast though, so at least there's that.

Flux

One is from the people who created a game that many enjoyed in their youth/childhood, the other gives a voice to a misogynist and white supremacist.

Yeah man it's so stupid that some people don't like to give their money to alt righters, eugenics supporters, nazi sympathizers, and thieves right? What a bunch of weirdos.

Are you calling the devs what you'd call JonTron? Or are you calling out JonTron supporters directly?

Z..

Hat is probably the better game, but I'd buy the one that had the balls to remove JonTron.
As someone who is usually considered a bit too liberal and has no love for JonTron whatsoever, fuck this noise. Enough with this shit already. I shouldn't matter who is affiliated with the game if the end product stands by itself and isn't tainted.

Cyanity

Banned
OOOOOR, I could not buy the game, and especially not buy their 'racist removal' dlc you're trying to sell me on. They can do that themselves thanks.

Or you could just not buy the game. Fine. You're totally justified. I just think the game's worth playing, at the least.

Man, I wasn't interested in YL at all but if I had to buy it or AHiT, I'd buy Yooka-Laylee twice. Fuck JonTron and his enablers.

A Hat in Time. JonTron's situation means nothing to me. I play games, not politics.

No, JonTron's situation means everything to you.

MxWGEaP.png

NIHDBsz.png

QKI3dlW.png

And Let's forget the cherry on top:

KAXK376.png

Good on you for supporting your own, though.

Lijik

the reason people arent supporting this game over jontron isnt simply because they dont want to hear his voice acting.

TheYanger

Man, I wasn't interested in YL at all but if I had to buy it or AHiT, I'd buy Yooka-Laylee twice. Fuck JonTron and his enablers.

MxWGEaP.png

NIHDBsz.png

QKI3dlW.png

KAXK376.png

God damn

Opa-Pa

Do people really believe that the possibility of hearing his voice while playing is the issue or is that just a desperate argument? Lol.

MxWGEaP.png

NIHDBsz.png

QKI3dlW.png

KAXK376.png

Damn.

Yeah I'm definitely going with Yooka Laylee. Especially considering all the flack they got for removing the role.

Plus the lead dev is something special. AHiT looks interesting but not buying it for now.

MxWGEaP.png

NIHDBsz.png

QKI3dlW.png

KAXK376.png

The heck Soren? So much for politics eh?

I really enjoyed AHiT. I've never watched JonTron so I don't recognize his voice, but if it bothers you
There's a mumble badge for your hat, to turn all the voices into Banjo Kazooie style mumbling.

[IG]https://i.imgur.com/MxWGEaP.png[/IMG]

[IG]https://i.imgur.com/NIHDBsz.png[/IMG]

[IG]https://i.imgur.com/QKI3dlW.png[/IMG]

[IG]https://i.imgur.com/KAXK376.png[/IMG]

Wow lol

A hat in time looks the much better game but their refusal to condemn Jontron troubles me. Given that it's such a busy year I've just spent my time and money on other things instead. I'm sure I'll pick it up in a humble bundle some day with the slider all the way to charity.

ToonLink

MxWGEaP.png

NIHDBsz.png

QKI3dlW.png

KAXK376.png

Jesus.

PaulloDEC

I'm finding AHiT to be a much more enjoyable game than YL. The question the OP asked is about purchasing rather than playing though, so that'll be very much a personal decision.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Are you calling the devs what you'd call JonTron? Or are you calling out JonTron supporters directly?
I'm calling out both, and I'm calling out you if you're either of them. If you think the devs are any better than JonTron then google Mecha the Slag's history of theft and abuse; this whole project is funded by, and continues to enable, horrifically disgusting human beings.

MxWGEaP.png

NIHDBsz.png

QKI3dlW.png

KAXK376.png

Gat damn.... Soren, you got got. What's your view on eugenics there Soren?

Kudo

As someone who is usually considered a bit too liberal and has no love for JonTron whatsoever, fuck this noise. Enough with this shit already. I shouldn't matter who is affiliated with the game if the end product stands by itself and isn't tainted.

Everyone is entitled to buy and not buy for their reasons whatsoever, but what bums me even in this thread people claim that A Hat in Time is somehow sending racist messages for not speaking up to what JonTron have said. Maybe if things were different they could spare pissing off either side, but for low budget small indie dev taking a open political side is indeed very risky and being silent is the best course of action.
Some people claimed they have "no balls" for not speaking up, but I'd assume they got mouths to feed and bills to pay.
I'm sure many people here have started to realize if you look back the past year that NeoGAF is very special kind of bubble, and if here taking a side in this seems like the best idea ever, that is so not true in the real world. If even NeoGAF gets its fair share of toxic users, you can only imagine what it is like outside here.
I dunno.. It just really bums me people are using this game as their political shield here when it's one of the best platformers I've played in many years. Such a shame people are willing to miss it, but I guess everyone should do what they feel is right and me crying about it most likely wont change a thing.

Seems like most responses are ”buy A Hat In Time, its great" and ”dont buy A Hat In Time"

At least nobody has the shame to actually recommend Yooka Laylee.

Lol damn, Soren that post history..

I helped kickstart YL (PS4 version), so that's my "pick" by default (but wasn't a huge fan of the game in the end.)

AHiT... is out of the question regardless. They made a choice that I can't support.

Sponge

Banned
At least nobody has the shame to actually recommend Yooka Laylee.

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. I'd say if you like the Banjo games, you'll find something in Yooka-Laylee to enjoy. It is a shame it wasn't the mindblowing experience we hoped it would be though.

Sentenza

I can't imagine the reactions on this forum the day we'll get an insight on the political views of, say, Shigeru Miyamoto.

MUnited83

For you.
If 2-3 lines of dialogue are so minimal, then what's the difficulty of removing it?

I'd say that having your family's addresses exposed online and death threats sent to your family is quite difficult.
Some people seemingly will call you a coward for that though, which is very reasonable statement oh yes

I can't imagine the reactions on this forum the day we'll get an insight on the political views of, say, Shigeru Miyamoto.

We found out Sugiyama is a horrible right-wing nationalist that denies things like the rape of nanking and people bring it up in Dragon Quest threads while others cry about it not being relevant.

Do you think it would be like that

With Odyssey impending, neither.

This.

I’m trying not to get caught up in the hype but I think Odyssey will place the flaws in these games in stark relief.

If that isn’t an option I’d go with Yooka Laylee, it’s a mediocre title but at least it isn’t sullied by the voice acting of a piece of human garbage.

taking a open political side is indeed very risky and being silent is the best course of action.

They took a side when they refused to remove a white supremacist from their game.

There is no "apolitical" route they can take here. They are either against racism, or they are okay with it.

Playtonic understood this and did the right thing. They received a lot of flack in the short-term but came out alive from it in the end. Yooka sold well. They proved that you CAN stand up to these alt-right shitheads and still be successful.

A Hat in Time on the other hand proved you can hire and work with white supremacists and experience zero consequences. Heck, they proved that you get praise and applause for it.

Top Bottom