• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zealand general Election 2017 thread - If you don't vote then zip it, sweetie

medrew

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to see gaf voters appear to be labour/greens.

Did my part - double vote ACT

Arondight

Just voted and opposite against last time which was my first time voting. Not quite sure why I voted National first time. I'm surprised Botany seems to have more candidates this time around as well.

Don't even follow politics and not sure how much my vote counts but still vote anyway regardless.

Arondight

Something I forgot to ask but does anyone know any steaming sites or apps to follow the election tonight and news in general as I only got internet and not broadcasting as an option.

Damn this is all quite dark :p Fingers crossed for some good news in 8 hours? time.

Well if National wins then New Zealand joins the distinguished list of countries where candidates can win elections based on blatant lies, lies widely fact-checked and discredited by the media. Yet people will still suck it up. It's sad.

Radio New Zealand is doing a special edition of Checkpoint from 7 onwards, which usually streams on their Youtube channel. You know, if you want to hear actual journalists and not Mediaworks pundits.

I second this. John Campbell and the RNZ team do a fantastic job.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
havent been home in last 3 years, cant help you out dudes.

i hear homelessness is bad and child poverty is bad. anyone got facts and figures on that?

And now it begins

giphy.gif

Although, the bigger cities (Auckland and Christchurch Central) seem to be indicating strong Labour support, so we'll see.

If Chch central swings back to Labour I'll be happy. If we manage to shove Gerry out I'll be ecstatic.

edit - yuss looks like Labour's gonna storm Chch central.

the_id

Hamilton here. Both wife and myself voted LABOUR.

Being doctors working in a rapidly growing region where National's policies on health have made things worse for our patients, a Labour government is needed.

mo60

So were has labour been getting votes from even though National has not been losing many seats so far overall?

Shaneus

Watching this intently. Hopefully it's a sign of what will happen in the next Australian election in a few years.

It will be a National-NZ First government.

National will get the most seats.
Winston does not want a three way government with the Greens.

The only way there'll be Labour government will be if they reach some sort of abstention agreement on confidence and supply votes with Winston. But they'd need to negotiate on every piece of legislation.
Winston may lose his seat right now.
Doesn't need it though.

mo60

Winston may lose his seat right now. He doesn't need the seat but it's still embrassing for him to lose his seat.

It will be a National-NZ First government.

National will get the most seats.
Winston does not want a three way government with the Greens.

The only way there'll be Labour government will be if they reach some sort of abstention agreement on confidence and supply votes with Winston. But they'd need to negotiate on every piece of legislation.

Doesn't need it though.

If a Nat-NZ first doesn't cross the 61 but a Nat-NZfirst-ACT government does will Winston go for it?

Moonkid

Well if National wins then New Zealand joins the distinguished list of countries where candidates can win elections based on blatant lies, lies widely fact-checked and discredited by the media. Yet people will still suck it up. It's sad.
mjcry1.png

How long before we can call it, if not already? I've read that a third of votes have been counted thus far.

Alienfan

Watching the coverage on TV, the ACT party are exactly how you'd imagine. White, smug men who are pretending to be the Wolf of Wall Street.

The Maori party are done, disappointing, but it will help Labour out. Looks like Winston will be deputy Prime Minister, he holds so much power right now

BanGy.nz

Banned
TV3 are talking about a National-Green coalition, it might be the dumbest thing I've seen on TV in quite some time.

TV3 are talking about a National-Green coalition, it might be the dumbest thing I've seen on TV in quite some time.
It's true though that none of these parties understand MMP from a practical pragmatic standpoint.

Except Winston. MMP is his natural element.

A National Green government should be preferable to Green voters to a National NZ First government.

Labour and the Greens should be acting strategically to remove Act. And ensure seats like Ohariu aren't close.

medrew

That's Hooten who is squarely on national's side. He's making the not so subtle point that if the Green party cared about the environment they should be open to the idea. The counterpoint is that the greens have been hijacked by extreme leftists and the environment is now not the primary objective, and arguably not even the secondary.

Top Bottom