• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/the-4-big-myths-of-profile-pictures/

Things to do:
male_photo_contexts2.png
female_photo_contexts2.png

::points to muscles bar::

girls profiles always say they dont like seeing shirtless pictures, i knew they were lying.

i have no muscles, no animals to take pictures with, and i never do anything interesting. guess that's why i get no responses!

lupin23rd

For those of us with no pets, will a stuffed animal suffice? lol

Maybe I should start responding to dog-sitting requests on Facebook...

Jhoan

Finally found the thread that this thread's subtitle is a reference to in another thread (might throw into the OP): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805077

In other news, I too have signed up for CoffeeMeetsBagel for the hell of it. Haven't really hit up anyone since I'm still editing my profile. Also the OKC messaging grind has been slow since I don't have much money to blow on dates.

On the topic of taking pictures with cute things, I wonder if taking a picture with my 2.5 year old niece would fly (I would indicate in the caption that it's my niece). My brother has a crazy good portrait lens that has a strong amount of depth of field so I might ask him to take a few pictures.

Halcyon

I'm a girl who has tried online dating, and what I look for is--

1. A picture of the guy by himself, but not a selfie.
2. A picture of the guy with friends.
3. A picture of the guy doing something he likes. Even a picture of him with headphones in front of a computer screen is fine.

Prefer clearer pictures, grainy stuff is a no-no.

I don't care much for pictures with kids or family. Pets, maybe, if you really love your pet.

1. Because a situation where you say to someone "hey take a picture of me for no reason by myself" is sexier than a selfie?

I mean I get that people like pictures that make you seem super interesting, but what kind of asshole is constantly asking people to take pictures of them while they are doing said interesting things.

Last weekend I went kayaking, to the beach, to an amusement park, and golfing but there wasn't a point where I said to my friend "hey bro take a picture of me so I can post it on a dating app, this will look way more interesting if you do it"

If anything, people with pictures that aren't selfies seem like the bigger assholes.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
1. Because a situation where you say to someone "hey take a picture of me for no reason by myself" is sexier than a selfie?

If anything, people with pictures that aren't selfies seem like the bigger assholes.

If a girl likes you and likes to take photos she will snap photos of you. Showing those is a form of validation.

Halcyon

Well, I'm assuming that someone will have taken photos of you doing something? Could be an ex, a friend, etc.

Maybe it's just me, but most of my friends and I (male and female mixed), all have photos of of the above.

I guess I'm just saying, I'm probably weeding out the completely socially inept, since I am assuming that in this day and age, photos are not rare?

I don't think that most people would have a problem would have a picture with weeding out people that don't have friends.

A selfie only makes sense when you are showing something off- a shirt, a haircut, an outfit, a tattoo, etc. Something on your body. At least, to me. I once had a selfie of an outfit, but that's about it. Otherwise, even I can manage to not be so repulsive that I can still see people once a year :).

I can see the ex taking pictures, but I guess I prefer up to date photos. Guys I don't think stand around taking pictures of each other. You go to any club and you will see all kinds of #girlsnightout group shots(which i think are ridiculous).

I just don't associate selfie=nofriends I guess.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Random story. I used OkCupid for 2 years and even tried Match and eHarmony for a time before swinging back to OkCupid again. I got desperate and sent a message (a well thought out one) to a cute girl that seemed to have a great personality and matched all of my wants, and to my surprise, got a reply back. In my few years on the sites I had gotten replies, but only ever 3 dates or so. So I was even more surprised when she agreed to a coffee date (tip #1, do a coffee date first, pay for your own and see if the other person is a match or is crazy). While on the date we realized that we both went to the same high school (in a town of 16,000) and she was two years ahead of me.

We ended up going on a few nice but subdued dates (takes a bit to get to know me well) before drifting apart and she dated someone else for a bit (we still chatted and joked a lot on Facebook chat during this time). Her relationship ended and I was frustrated one night by another OKC thing not working out after a week and randomly messaged her again and she agreed to another date.

Fast forward to now, we've been dating for 7.5 months and we're pretty sure that this will end in getting married. Moral of the story? Online dating does work, and even if it takes a while don't lose that drive, you could find the right person when you least expect it. Also keep some tabs on people you dated a bit and lost track of, they may be ready again.

If you would have told me a year ago that the half Filipino/half Pakistani girl I went on a few dinner dates with in January would want to give it a go again and she'd end up being the most amazing person I'd ever met and we'd likely end up getting married I'd have laughed and called you crazy, I was set with being the single guy in the family even, but look now, I landed my dream girl who is also my best friend all because of not giving up on online dating after years and persistence. :)

TL;DR Online dating works, even if it takes a long time.

Random story. I used OkCupid for 2 years and even tried Match and eHarmony for a time before swinging back to OkCupid again. I got desperate and sent a message (a well thought out one) to a cute girl that seemed to have a great personality and matched all of my wants, and to my surprise, got a reply back. In my few years on the sites I had gotten replies, but only ever 3 dates or so. So I was even more surprised when she agreed to a coffee date (tip #1, do a coffee date first, pay for your own and see if the other person is a match or is crazy). While on the date we realized that we both went to the same high school (in a town of 16,000) and she was two years ahead of me.

We ended up going on a few nice but subdued dates (takes a bit to get to know me well) before drifting apart and she dated someone else for a bit (we still chatted and joked a lot on Facebook chat during this time). Her relationship ended and I was frustrated one night by another OKC thing not working out after a week and randomly messaged her again and she agreed to another date.

Fast forward to now, we've been dating for 7.5 months and we're pretty sure that this will end in getting married. Moral of the story? Online dating does work, and even if it takes a while don't lose that drive, you could find the right person when you least expect it. Also keep some tabs on people you dated a bit and lost track of, they may be ready again.

If you would have told me a year ago that the half Filipino/half Pakistani girl I went on a few dinner dates with in January would want to give it a go again and she'd end up being the most amazing person I'd ever met and we'd likely end up getting married I'd have laughed and called you crazy, I was set with being the single guy in the family even, but look now, I landed my dream girl who is also my best friend all because of not giving up on online dating after years and persistence. :)

Awesome story man, glad things are working out for you two.

i poked around on okcupid last week and noticed that virtually all of the women's photos on there were "selfies." so i'm not sure why it would be a big deal for a dude to have a selfie. as for me, i hate having my photo taken and always have. it's the reason i don't have a bunch of pics of me doing stuff with friends and/or family. i did have pics that my ex took of us together, but obviously i wouldn't use that on a dating site and i deleted all of them after we split.

anyway, i don't think the online dating thing is for me. i like meeting someone in person and getting a "vibe" from them. i'm cynical, so i believe virtually everyone on those sites is full of shit to one degree or another when writing their profile. just wanted to chime in on the selfie thing haha

roxyd43

Neo Member

This guy =D
Thanks for giving me another shot after I Irish goodbyed you and then tried to pawn you off on my quirky (but lovable) friend.

freshair

i poked around on okcupid last week and noticed that virtually all of the women's photos on there were "selfies." so i'm not sure why it would be a big deal for a dude to have a selfie.

It's a double standard thing and just how it works. Women have the upper hand on these type of sites, so they can get away with a lot more while being more selective.

There's two ways you can approach it. You can either stick to your convictions and play by your own rules, or play the game a little and you might see better results.

I guess this might just belong in the Tinder thread, but I've found much greater success when I message girls on the first day we connect rather than waiting a while and then hitting them up.

Maybe it's because you're fresh in their mind, maybe it's because they think you're more interested, but I set up 3 dates this week with girls that I met within 12 hours, including one on Monday where she asked me out that very night.

i poked around on okcupid last week and noticed that virtually all of the women's photos on there were "selfies." so i'm not sure why it would be a big deal for a dude to have a selfie. as for me, i hate having my photo taken and always have. it's the reason i don't have a bunch of pics of me doing stuff with friends and/or family. i did have pics that my ex took of us together, but obviously i wouldn't use that on a dating site and i deleted all of them after we split.

anyway, i don't think the online dating thing is for me. i like meeting someone in person and getting a "vibe" from them. i'm cynical, so i believe virtually everyone on those sites is full of shit to one degree or another when writing their profile. just wanted to chime in on the selfie thing haha

I'm going on a "IRL" date as well this week in between my tinder dates. I must say that our text conversations do flow much better because we already got that awkward face to face meeting out of the way, and then made the decision to exchange numbers/date. Much less misunderstanding about intentions, no bait and switch on appearance, we already have a few inside jokes, etc.

Karkador

Banned
It's a double standard thing and just how it works. Women have the upper hand on these type of sites, so they can get away with a lot more while being more selective.

This might be counterbalanced by the sheer number of messages (dumb and okay) that women get, making the sites nearly unusable for many of them.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Congrats, dude!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This guy =D
Thanks for giving me another shot after I Irish goodbyed you and then tried to pawn you off on my quirky (but lovable) friend.

Oh hey, it's her! (No I didn't make her sign up for Gaf, she did that on her own a while ago to look a cute animal threads). :p

I could post the pic we took recently. :p

freshair

This might be counterbalanced by the sheer number of messages (dumb and okay) that women get, making the sites nearly unusable for many of them.

Absolutely. Looking through my connected matches, it's amazing to see how many have deactivated their profile, which I can only assume is due to the sheer overwhelming messages they get. It gets exhausting.

I guess this might just belong in the Tinder thread, but I've found much greater success when I message girls on the first day we connect rather than waiting a while and then hitting them up.

I agree with this. Tinder seems to be about immediacy for me. Few messages back and forth before exchanging numbers/making plans.

For OKC, I use the same method, but put in a little more substance since there's more to go on.

There's two ways you can approach it. You can either stick to your convictions and play by your own rules, or play the game a little and you might see better results.

well, women have the upper hand in all of dating whether online or in person :p

and yeah, you're right about the choices for approaching. i've always been the type to play by my own rules. like i said though, i don't see myself participating in online dating any time soon. now, if a year or two from now i'm still single and feel lonely then i may change my mind. at this point i've only been single for like 2 months and have noticed and been shown enough interest from women in public that i feel confident i can succeed in that arena once i'm ready to get back out there.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Okok here's the recent photo of us, despite me hiding a bit. :p

Maddocks

If you have the drive and determination then online dating will work. You get what you put in, if you half ass your profile, add 4 year old pictures and then send 4 word messages, you are not going to be successful.

y2dvd

This is definitely true. Never assume what they are doing makes it ok for you to also do lol.

I find it weird how polarizing selifes are. Say you want to immediately want to put up a recent pic of yourself. What's more odd, asking a friend to take it for you or doing it yourself? Imagine a friend taking myspace angles of you lol.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It's not that I have a problem with selfies? I think I was responding to what is "ideal" on a profile to "catch" someone's attention, and I wrote my own opinion on what I like to see in guys, ideally.

Besides, yeah, ideally, you're fun and you do things with friends recently. Not everyday, but a photo from a month or two ago doesn't seem that weird or "non-recent." I assume most people have friends they see once every couple months, right?

This is GAF.

I agree though, from most girls I've talked to, selfies are a big no-no and even if you don't agree are perceived as having "no friends". so ask your friends to take pics of you, who cares if they don't normally do it? If you have a friend who'll refuse to take a pic of you because of whatever reason that's a weird friend. I have 3 pics that my exes took and 1 that my mom took, no shame. But it's me with a kitten/on vacation/outside/outside doing things.

stn

My main OKC photo is a selfie, albeit one where I'm making a deliberate pose. I get messaged about 3 times a day and often get compliments centered around the pic. Its fine if you can pull it off, which applies to pretty much everything in online dating. FWIW, my pic is not artistic at all and is just a VERY plain pose. Don't listen to girls, do what you're most confident in doing.

EDIT: A question about Tinder. Once you link it to Facebook, can you choose which pic to use and which ones not to use? Some of my pics on there are more personal. I recently got the app and am wondering. Thanks.

EDIT: I just remembered that that same selfie got me accepted to Beautiful People. So enough people voted on it. Again, pic type doesn't matter. Just do what you want and be confident.

freshair

EDIT: A question about Tinder. Once you link it to Facebook, can you choose which pic to use and which ones not to use? Some of my pics on there are more personal. I recently got the app and am wondering. Thanks.

Yes, you get to pick and choose from your albums.

What I do sometimes is make a private album that only I can see, and upload pics there that I don't want public with my friends, and then pick those for my profile pics.

y2dvd

It's not that I have a problem with selfies? I think I was responding to what is "ideal" on a profile to "catch" someone's attention, and I wrote my own opinion on what I like to see in guys, ideally.

Besides, yeah, ideally, you're fun and you do things with friends recently. Not everyday, but a photo from a month or two ago doesn't seem that weird or "non-recent." I assume most people have friends they see once every couple months, right?

Oh, I'm not calling you out specifically. I've read several profiles that are against selfies when some would have selfies themselves. In a generation where even celebrities are having fun with selfies, I'm surprised the amount of negativity it can get. I try to be cute with my own selfie in my profile and I have the caption "I get one selfie, right?" lol.

SELFIE!

gugi40

I so badly want to use OKCupid again but every time I used it I got a stream full of 'nice guys' and some seriously insulting messages. That site to me made me think that I was going to meet people like me (likes video games, liberal, not traditional, ect.) but it was really slow and the guys I had a slight interest in had horrible answers to some questions that OKC asked.

POF always gives me luck in terms of dates but there are TONS of really dudebro guys on it, but I like it better in terms of sifting through potential dates and I don't get as many 'nice guy' types on there. For a free site though you would have to expect some issues lol.

Tried Tinder but like a lot of people have said it is used by many as a hook up app, I met one awesome guy but he was still interested in his ex so I left that one alone. Other than that it was ok, its nice and casual.

Also tried EHarmony and it was ok but I noticed some serious ....like christian undertones in the questions, so that in itself was kind of creepy to me, a little bit of success on there so it isn't all bad.

Tried some other obscure ones but they sucked so they went nowhere lol.

Has anyone had luck with Match?

turtle553

Has anyone had luck with Match?

Used it in the past and have had some success. A pay site is a double edged sword. If someone pays they are serious about meeting someone and not just inflating their ego. The downside is you don't always know if the person you message is paying and will be able to respond.

You can pay a little extra to see if someone read your message and it will show you as a premium member that can respond to messages.

freshair

*reads "weed out the completely socially inept"*

I can already tell this thread isn't for me :c

I highly suggest meetup.com if you're looking to improve your social skills and not just strictly looking to date. The more you're around people and see familiar faces, the better your social skills will develop.

It's not going to change overnight and by itself. There's even some meetup for social anxiety to help as well.

gugi40

Used it in the past and have had some success. A pay site is a double edged sword. If someone pays they are serious about meeting someone and not just inflating their ego. The downside is you don't always know if the person you message is paying and will be able to respond.

You can pay a little extra to see if someone read your message and it will show you as a premium member that can respond to messages.

Is it worth the money? I was always a little hesitant with their matching system because I tried a trial and it literally matched me with complete opposites, and opposite for things I will not tolerate.

turtle553

Is it worth the money? I was always a little hesitant with their matching system because I tried a trial and it literally matched me with complete opposites, and opposite for things I will not tolerate.

Both times I paid to use it, I was able to meet people in real life. I just haven't gone back because I'm mainly just using OKC and Tinder right now and they do all right. If you sign up for free, they will eventually send you a deal for less money.

It can definitely be worth it, but they do a bad job of weeding out people that haven't been on the site in months/years.

stn

Leeness - I think you should avoid online dating completely. Take it from me but most people on there don't care to make friends. Try meetup.com instead, I hear that's a legitimate tool for just making friends. But stop torturing yourself with online dating, I really think its futile at this point. May I also suggest volunteering? Great way to meet people. With stuff like online dating you're catering to the horny male demographic. That's not what you want.

Minus_Me

Leeness - I think you should avoid online dating completely. Take it from me but most people on there don't care to make friends. Try meetup.com instead, I hear that's a legitimate tool for just making friends. But stop torturing yourself with online dating, I really think its futile at this point. May I also suggest volunteering? Great way to meet people. With stuff like online dating you're catering to the horny male demographic. That's not what you want.

listen to this guy! Volunteering is such a great way to make new friend.

stn

I volunteered with one society for a few years, as one example. All the friends I made I talk to frequently, hang out with, and greatly respect. They're smart, opinionated, and just fantastic people with values. Oh, and a handful of them are attractive ladies. :)

I recommend volunteering to anyone who is lacking friends. You do something productive and positive for society, meet some great people, AND work on your social skills. Its a no-brainer.

Leeness

Too many people with meetup. :/ it would be like going to a party -- which means I'm not going.

I'll look into volunteering though I never really have time. Sigh. Maybe on the weekends.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Speaking of volunteering, does anyone know a good website to find local places to volunteer at?

Yrael

It's not really futile to make friends through OkCupid - that's all I did, without dating. I guess it does depend though on where you live and the social circles in place...in my case, the first person I connected with online turned out to have at least one mutual friend with me already (someone who'd been in one my courses at university was also in his choir group), though we'd never met before.

Jhoan

Speaking of volunteering, does anyone know a good website to find local places to volunteer at?
Go to nyc.gov and search for volunteering. Eventually you'll find a page that has a list of all the volunteer organizations in the city. I used to volunteer at a place called the All Stars Project so that might be a place of interest for you. Stopped volunteering for personal reasons but plan on looking for another organization. One obvious place you can volunteer at is at a park picking up litter.

And again, even though I have it in the OP, I highly recommend meetup.com as a means of new people. Although your mileage may vary in terms of finding groups that you gel with as they can feel clique-ish. Or organize/go to a GAF meet up.

I mean if you still in college it's still the best route to foster friendships if that's indeed what you looking for.. Otherwise it's pretty hard. Me personally I make friends quick cause shit you never know when you might need help or that person could be your boss In the future.

Best way to make friends.. Alcohol xD

I'm beginning to basically not message anyone that's in grad school on OKC. It's a waste of both of our times. I've had no problem going on dates with people. I would say that I've gone on dates with 15-20 different girls over the past 18 months.

The frustrating cycle for me:

• They're usually very pretty/charming, but because of school, they don't have the same amount of time to have a social life.
  • I hit it off with them messaging, and the first few dates go very well, sometimes to the point of sex.
  • I go out with them for a couple of months, things go well, but they immediately back off when any talk of exclusivity comes up. "Well, I'm just too busy with school to commit to anything like that," she will say.
  • Which leads to me asking why she was looking to date if she was so preoccupied with school, she gets defensive, and so it goes.

I've basically narrowed spending any sort of time messaging people to those who already have a job and aren't worried about what they're going to do in their career. I'm 25 for reference.

Does anyone else have a similar experience to this, or am I just a loser here?

Prologue

Go to nyc.gov and search for volunteering. Eventually you'll find a page that has a list of all the volunteer organizations in the city. I used to volunteer at a place called the All Stars Project so that might be a place of interest for you. Stopped volunteering for personal reasons but plan on looking for another organization. One obvious place you can volunteer at is at a park picking up litter.

And again, even though I have it in the OP, I highly recommend meetup.com as a means of new people. Although your mileage may vary in terms of finding groups that you gel with as they can feel clique-ish. Or organize/go to a GAF meet up.

You could try habitat for humanity. Very social event

I started putting time into http://foodbanknyc.force.com . Very simple, just sign up and show up. No paperwork or interviews.

I run around the Harlem gig btw.

I'm beginning to basically not message anyone that's in grad school on OKC. It's a waste of both of our times. I've had no problem going on dates with people. I would say that I've gone on dates with 15-20 different girls over the past 18 months.

The frustrating cycle for me:

• They're usually very pretty/charming, but because of school, they don't have the same amount of time to have a social life.
  • I hit it off with them messaging, and the first few dates go very well, sometimes to the point of sex.
  • I go out with them for a couple of months, things go well, but they immediately back off when any talk of exclusivity comes up. "Well, I'm just too busy with school to commit to anything like that," she will say.
  • Which leads to me asking why she was looking to date if she was so preoccupied with school, she gets defensive, and so it goes.

I've basically narrowed spending any sort of time messaging people to those who already have a job and aren't worried about what they're going to do in their career. I'm 25 for reference.

Does anyone else have a similar experience to this, or am I just a loser here?

A lot of people are just looking for long term fwb type of situations. They're not ready for marriage but they don't want to go trolling for ass every weekend at the club. And making a commitment while you're on school and you might not even stay in the state afterward is kinda hard.

Leeness

Will look into volunteering sometime, but I have zero interest in meetup and being social of any kind except one on one, I guess I'm done with this topic then.

Peace out y'all and good luck.

Top Bottom