• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Cross Play with Sony- "[Sony] should talk about what their view is"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rellik

Argh these corporate apologist are harming progress. There isnt a convincing argument you can make against this unless you feel threatened that Sony arent the ones pushing this initiative . Which means its irrational and your stake in this is based on Sony's dominance not on whats good for gamiing, seriously need to blast your interests into orbit, you're not at all here for gaming, but are simply a fanatic. Its so obvious in some of these posts.

As someone who owns a PlayStation and doesn't own an Xbox, I'm really sick and tired of people defending Sony for every bullshit decision they make. But the moment it's an Xbox decision then it's nothing but LOLXBOX

It's people like that which allow Sony to act like this.

If cross play happens , it'll be fine.

But , as a console user myself , well it ain't high on my list of priorities

I do see how it would hep some games to stay alive , especially online ... but that's not what i'm looking for when i'm gaming currently

There was a time when microsoft was against it and sony was for it. now the wheel has turned. I can't help but think that wheel will turn again

Mubrik

Fundamentally, yes, there is a lot of business sense to be made in profiteering through moves directly antagonistic to consumers, but I can assure you they're in no need of forum warrior defenses of those moves.

I can't really fathom why the preferable stance here is "Sit down" and shut up because Papa Sony has made up his mind. Even if you don't care, especially if you acknowledge it doesn't detract from anything you want, what do you get by actively antagonizing someone for socially pushing a feature a lot of us want WHEN YOU'RE ACTUALLY ASKED ABOUT IT IN AN INTERVIEW AND YOU CAN'T ANSWER FOR THE OPPOSING PARTY!

why do some of you just jump into 'warrior defending'?
sure the sit down was rude(to you all, it's a joking phrase where i'm from), i admitted that and apologised and it's in the same quote??
to the bold:
and is also a good reason to be vocal on forums,
i can see that now and i agree with you.

i just felt there was zero chance at this,
hopefully it happens i guess.

and sony did talk about their view/response in some way (maybe not officially)
they gave a bullish pr response which included 'for the children' which we all know is rubbish and makes their stance on this very obvious.
i mean he did start the phrase with 'we talk to sony all the time' you think he doesn't know their views?. sure

i'm not antagonising phil or anyone man (or at least trying to), if xbox was market leader shu would probably be the one asking for cross play and mattrick wouldn't even respond...
but people want it so it's okay to be vocal and hopefully it actually comes, wouldnt mind owning some xbox players in RL tbh. lol

I do wonder if Microsoft would be pushing for this if they were the market leader. Microsoft introduced the online paywall to consoles in the first place, and mostly ignored PC gamers for a full decade. But, it could be that a change in approach reflects the new management and these things would have happened regardless of their market position, so it's pointless to go down the path of alternative timelines.

It's very clear that cross platform play is a great thing for consumers, and I hope it happens.

Floody

But isn't it impossible to play with your friends with crossplay anyway, just with randoms? How would you send an invite from psn to xbl? And wouldn't the (remote) possibility of having identical usernames cause a problem?

I'm pretty sure you can play with friends on other platforms with the way Minecraft does it. Just have to know what server they're on.

The way Rocket League (and most others I'd assume) do it, is just randomly. Which I couldn't really care about, bigger playerpools would be nice, but I've never had trouble finding people to play with, so just can't bring myself to care either way, with that.

The Minecraft way is great though.

Edit: Hmm, just learnt Rocket League is adding a cross platforms group system, so bad example now.

Rocket League's way is great too!

This again?...

Phil's getting more mileage talking down about Sony than he is talking up his own product. That's winning the battle in a war already lost...

EdgeXL

I mean the whole reason I purchased a PS4 was to avoid interacting with MS users and Xbox.

I'm a Microsoft user and Xbox owner. I also have a PS4. How do you know you haven't interacted with me or other Xbox owners?

As for Phil "huffing his chest", he was asked a direct question. Was he not supposed to answer it?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm a Microsoft user and Xbox owner. I also have a PS4. How do you know you haven't interacted with me or other Xbox owners?

As for Phil "huffing his chest", he was asked a direct question. Was he not supposed to answer it?
You're about to blow his mind. I hope he'll be okay.

I'm pretty sure you can play with friends on other platforms with the way Minecraft does it. Just have to know what server they're on.

The way Rocket League (and most others I'd assume) do it, is just randomly. Which I couldn't really care about, bigger playerpools would be nice, but I've never had trouble finding people to play with, so just can't bring myself to care either way, with that.

The Minecraft way is great though.

Can you explain how the minecraft system works?

Toki767

Sadly it's just not as big of a deal as most people want it to be.

That isn't to say Sony will never change their stance, but they would need some serious blowback in the way people got Microsoft to pull a 180 on always online and Kinect. I don't really think that blowback will come this generation though.

EdgeXL

Sadly it's just not as big of a deal as most people want it to be.

That isn't to say Sony will never change their stance, but they would need some serious blowback in the way people got Microsoft to pull a 180 on always online and Kinect. I don't really think that blowback will come this generation though.

Sony will never get that blowback if people don't criticize their decision. That is exactly what we are doing.

I do wonder if Microsoft would be pushing for this if they were the market leader.

They wouldn't.

But I don't think it matters anyway, they are and I don't see how this will realistically impact Sony's position as market leader. In fact, I'd argue it's equally as risky for Microsoft, considering it gives millions of people even less reason to use their service over PlayStation Network, which is currently more popular. I can see why Sony is being cautious, which I don't think enough people understand, but their PR on this has been pretty atrocious. They need to respond to this properly as it's not going away.

DerpHause

Doesn’t make it any less pointless, MS could just as easily share the terms they layout as well.

That assumes they've reached that point. If Sony said no before MS got talking specifics we're not in a position for MS to have anything to present.

Again, MS is trying here, Sony isn't and isn't saying why. They know from that position they have the advantage and they're pressing it. Even in the case that MS is being secretly unreasonable, Sony doesn't profit from staying quiet.

They know that. We should know that. So it certainly doesn't justify the doubt when they follow the same path they would if they were guilty here.

This again?...

Phil's getting more mileage talking down about Sony than he is talking up his own product. That's winning the battle in a war already lost...

yes indeed. atm its the only selling point xbox has over playstation.

sony only needs to focus on what the masses truly care about (top quality games).

DerpHause

why do some of you just jump into 'warrior defending'?
sure the sit down was rude(to you all, it's a joking phrase where i'm from), i admitted that and apologised and it's in the same quote??
to the bold:

and sony did talk about their view/response in some way (maybe not officially)
they gave a bullish pr response which included 'for the children' which we all know is rubbish and makes their stance on this very obvious.
i mean he did start the phrase with 'we talk to sony all the time' you think he doesn't know their views?. sure

i'm not antagonising phil or anyone man (or at least trying to), if xbox was market leader shu would probably be the one asking for cross play and mattrick wouldn't even respond...
but people want it so it's okay to be vocal and hopefully it actually comes, wouldnt mind owning some xbox players in RL tbh. lol

Because that's what it was generally speaking. But beyond that I don't get corporate evangelism. PSN is my gaming system of choice right now despite having a PC and switch sure, but it seems odd to me to come from a point of defensive rationalization of why the question shouldn't be asked or to openly oppose the discussion.

Yes, you took it back and apologized, but I still don't get where it came from to begin with.

Sony will never get that blowback if people don't criticize their decision. That is exactly what we are doing.

Bro, it's obviously going to happen. You don't keep talking to someone after they say no, unless you're a salesman. They could be planning on announcing it on their own terms.

Or could just have em on the hook and really not want to do it or waiting on stuff to be in place for such a task, and do it right. I dunno

Don't get this misconstrued in any way, nobody in here actually knows what the deal is. All you can really say is that the current cross-platform games doesn't include PS4.

Sony is talking to MS about this, apparently everyday according to Phil. I think it'll happen..

Edit: or talk with them all the time, he said.

bitbydeath

That assumes they've reached that point. If Sony said no before MS got talking specifics we're not in a position for MS to have anything to present.

Again, MS is trying here, Sony isn't and isn't saying why. They know from that position they have the advantage and they're pressing it. Even in the case that MS is being secretly unreasonable, Sony doesn't profit from staying quiet.

They know that. We should know that. So it certainly doesn't justify the doubt when they follow the same path they would if they were guilty here.

It’s all assumptions, we don’t even know if MS are trying, they’ve already been caught saying no to cross-play with PC previously.

Without the information on what’s going on it’s just old man yelling at cloud talk.

I've always thought that crossplay across all systems is a gamers dream and damn any company that would be against it. Nintendo/Sega as a kid, MS last gen AND Sony this gen. Benefits gamers and developers. What does Sony have to lose? Power is what matters...wait...no...exclusive games is what matters...wait...no...player base is what matters...F the excuses. We have PC, Nintendo, and Xbox on board so it's as close as ever. Stop defending this corporate garbage. There are people here that think more of their corperate overloards than their fellow gamers. And did I see someone actually say they want to avoid MS and Xbox customers? Why? Are you better than others because of the label on your gaming device? Come on, gamers. This is the holy grail for some of us. Let us make a difference instead if squabble over brand preferences.

smurfx

get some go again
Their stance is that they want you to buy a PS4 to play with PS4 players. That's really all it comes down to.

It's money thing.
thing is the popular console is the one that wins in this scenario. people wont have a need to get a second console if they can play their friends that own other consoles in the same game. sony does not lose here.

DerpHause

It’s all assumptions, we don’t even know if MS are trying, they’ve already been caught saying no to cross-play with PC previously.

Without the information on what’s going on it’s just old man yelling at cloud talk.

Well, no, again Sony could defend itself. And fundamentally that's what they were asked to do. But they aren't and are allowing their competition to do the talking.

Fortnite Battle Royale was literally working with crossplay because Epic "made a mistake" and disabled it. Letting players connect seems pretty trivial at this point especially if UE4 already has major support for it.

Wait, like between Xbox and PS4, as "a mistake"? Interesting.

At that point, there's no reason to not enable it.

GLAMr

While I don't agree with it, from a short-sighted business perspective, I understand Sony's "We have the biggest pool, why share it to enrich your platform?" behaviour. I'm one of those people who leaned towards PS4 after being a 360 owner because I had more friends on PS4 (plus I liked the exclusives). Again, I understand it, but I don't like nor agree with it.

I think crossplay is good for the industry, in that the industry benefits from multiple companies competing and doing well. It would also be nice to have a multiplayer jam in Rocket League with my Xbowner friends, and might encourage me to buy more games if I can play with more friends.

I think Sony will eventually cave. As others have said, I think it will be on their terms. Maybe early next year after one more holiday season of "hey we got the biggest party, come join".

While I don't agree with it, from a short-sighted business perspective, I understand Sony's "We have the biggest pool, why share it to enrich your platform?" behaviour. I'm one of those people who leaned towards PS4 after being a 360 owner because I had more friends on PS4 (plus I liked the exclusives). Again, I understand it, but I don't like nor agree with it.

I think crossplay is good for the industry, in that the industry benefits from multiple companies competing and doing well. It would also be nice to have a multiplayer jam in Rocket League with my Xbowner friends, and might encourage me to buy more games if I can play with more friends.

I think Sony will eventually cave. As others have said, I think it will be on their terms. Maybe early next year after one more holiday season of "hey we got the biggest party, come join".

I dont think MS will cave on anything relating to the engine. Maybe how purchases are handled in terms of the money divided up between the platform and publisher.

Also they have the smallest pool of Minecraft players by default now. The Minecraft pocket edition is larger by a good amount.

As someone who owns a PlayStation and doesn't own an Xbox, I'm really sick and tired of people defending Sony for every bullshit decision they make. But the moment it's an Xbox decision then it's nothing but LOLXBOX

It's people like that which allow Sony to act like this.

Yep, couldn't agree more. The amount of shilling for papa Sony's behalf here is mind-blowing.

Crossplay is good for gamers.

All of the personalities and the companies don't matter.

We should be able to play with each other regardless of the box we're on.

I hope they can make it work.

tsundoku

They have, they said if it requires an xbox live account to play on a PS4 then they are noping the fuck out of it.

How bout this guy does his job and actually opens some new first party studios, rather than moaning that they are not letting the trojan horse into their fort.

perfect first post

Bsigg12

Wait, like between Xbox and PS4, as "a mistake"? Interesting.

At that point, there's no reason to not enable it.

Yea it was crazy. Some people noticed their friend in a game and realized their friend didn't have an Xbox or something along those lines then more people started testing and found Epic left it enabled.

Toki767

Holy shit, cringe levels are reaching a breaking point. People trying so hard to "explain" this complex stuff to us lowly consumers who just want better games instead of Sony's bullshit excuses.

Is it that horrible to explain that while people want cross platform play, they still understand why Sony wouldn't want to do it?

Iced Arcade

They have, they said if it requires an xbox live account to play on a PS4 then they are noping the fuck out of it.

How bout this guy does his job and actually opens some new first party studios, rather than moaning that they are not letting the trojan horse into their fort.
First post nai... wait what was That?

Toki767

I'll step in and answer this as well. Yes. It's called enabling.

End of the day, people vote with their wallet. It doesn't really matter what people on a message board type. It's how people choose to spend their money that sends a message to companies.

Sony's reasons are still shit!

I don't disagree. I don't think they can really come up with any reason at all that would satisfy most people.

It's so weird to have this kind of response juxtaposed against all the foaming at the mouth over loot boxes. Crossplay would have an immediate positive effect on some of the biggest multiplayer games out right now, and people are losing their minds over the possibility that loot boxes could make a game worse.

Maybe Microsoft should bring back some of the greatest hits since its apparently ok now. Put Netflix back in the Live subscription, make Xbox One always online and do away with used game reselling everywhere but Gamestop, bring back the requirements for indie developers. They're just doing it to make more money, so all the people siding with Sony in this thread should be fine with it.

Yup

perfect first post

I mean it's been ripped to shreds, but it's a perfect match for the other shitty fan boy drive posts.

Sony doesn't need to do shit, but allow publishers to do this. They don't have to make their games, developed or published, have cross play, but not allowing the other publishers/developers the option is shitty.

Yes, PS4 has a 60M user base, but some games might only sell 10s of thousands per platform, so allowing them to enable cross play would be a huge benefit to PLAYERS

But keep fucking that chicken console warriors.

Yup

I mean it's been ripped to shreds, but it's a perfect match for the other shitty fan boy drive posts.

Sony doesn't need to do shit, but allow publishers to do this. They don't have to make their games, developed or published, have cross play, but not allowing the other publishers/developers the option is shitty.

Yes, PS4 has a 60M user base, but some games might only sell 10s of thousands per platform, so allowing them to enable cross play would be a huge benefit to PLAYERS

But keep fucking that chicken console warriors.

Why would sony first party games have cross play?

smurfx

get some go again
Yep, couldn't agree more. The amount of shilling for papa Sony's behalf here is mind-blowing.
anybody that enjoys playing games are in favor of crossplay. nothing bad can come of playing with a bigger pool of players. fighting games fans that own games with low sales would have a much bigger pool of players to play with. same goes for fps games. fanboys would rather screw themselves over as long as their team wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom