• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT IW: Marcus Beer strikes out at Jon Blow/Phil Fish over XB1 indie GI coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHaveIce

Banned
http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/roj70m/invisible-walls-everything-and-the-kitchen-sink

First few minutes in. Lock if old.

I didn't hear about this story, wow both Blow and Fish come across like total arseholes here if this is true, and I didn't think Phil Fish was as much of a dick as everyone else said but damn they're acting just like fucking divas now.
You didn't think Fish is a dick?
He is one of the worst and most vocal in the industry if something pisses him off

AHA-Lambda

You didn't think Fish is a dick?
He is one of the worst and most vocal in the industry if something pisses him off

I just didn't think he was as much a dick as everyone else seemed to think (some people on gaf won't even buy fez cos they don't like him).

I was always willing to give him some benefit of the doubt, like in Indie Game The Movie he comes across as whiny but at the same time it was a very emotional and stressful time for him, and as for the Japan comments other people have said as much before the difference is those that have said it have been Japanese themselves and put it much more constructively.

Nevertheless, I totally understand why some people don't like him. But that's not the same now with this story cos both Blow and Fish are acting like spoilt divas here.

Can you summarise what's been said?

Blow and Fish were asked by GI on their opinions about the XB1 change in policy for indie games and self publishing. Apparently, both Blow and Fish said they were sick of being asked about their opinion on this due to their position in the indie scene.

Marcus then calls them out for acting snippy and also calls them out for the inevitable promoting they'll both be doing over time for their new games through these same publications they don't want to talk to cos they feel above them.

The first I've heard of this is through IW just now though, I haven't seen the original quotes/articles in context.

mishakoz

Can you summarise what's been said?

Watched it a few hours ago, so its a bit hazy.

Basically Jonathon Blow and Phil Fish were asked to comment about the Xbox Indie 180, and they then complained about being asked questions and "why are they always questioned about Indie stuff". Marcus is criticizing the fact then when they want coverage on their indie game they want the attention of the press, but act insulted when its something else other than the promotion of their own games.

Summarizing what was said on Invisible Walls, never saw the article in question.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
What Jonathan Blow said on twitter which Markus must be referring to as GameInformer doesn't have any quotes by him:
(twitter, so bottom to top)
afee8ij.png

Seems to me they're tired of people running to them every time there's a rumor on the net.

Just because they or note their games doesn't mean they owe it to sites to comment on every little story that pops up.

They are both tool bags with overrated games. Plenty of quality indie teams to support that are accessible at shows like PAX. Most indies are very humble and fun to talk to.

These two should stop talking.

Anyone else see the irony about starring in and having a movie made about your life, but then turning around and being upset that you're popular?

Plus, screw Phil Fish. Isn't he one of those guys that advocates indies be given equal footing with AAAs, but then when his game generated millions in revenue he refused to patch it because he already had everyone's money and claimed it was MS's fault that he made a broken game and you shouldn't expect him to spend any of fat stack he was sitting on to fix his game because he's indie, with the implication I suppose being that indies don't fix problems with their games, especially games that generated millions in revenue.

Haunted

What Jonathan Blow said on twitter which Markus must be referring to as GameInformer doesn't have any quotes by him:
afee8ij.png
Most game journalists are shit and are looking for some easily exploitable soundbites to put in their headlines. Fish and Blow have a tendency to be honest and are not afraid to speak their mind, so they're perfect targets for that. Gametrailer guy in the OP seems butthurt he didn't get his soundbite he could put in an inflammatory headline. What do you do if they refuse to be part of the shit show and don't give you ammo? The video in the OP is the answer.

Embarrassing.

benny_a

Phil Fish's comment on the matter. Same deal. Only found something on twitter, not on GameInformer's website.
Anything on the topic that I could find. Phil Fish posts on twitter a lot so maybe I missed something, but I don't think I did.

Top to bottom because I edited it so it includes the reply:
W2TwVYt.png

unedited bottom-to-top posts later:
TJdUrO4.png

next day (bottom to top again):
lMfooAh.png

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Now they dont want to talk about MS? heh. Blow loved talking about MS during E3.

Of course Blow don't want to talk now since it will involve him saying that what Microsoft did with their indie change is actually a good thing. That would go against all his MS trashtalk he has been doing for years, he can't suddenly say nice things about them, it would be too hard for his ego.

Both Blow and Phil Fish are total douchebags, but what else is new.

Most game journalists are shit and are looking for some easily exploitable soundbites to put in their headlines. Fish and Blow have a tendency to be honest and are not afraid to speak their mind, so they're perfect targets for that. Gametrailer guy in the OP seems butthurt he didn't get his soundbite he could put in an inflammatory headline. What do you do if they refuse to be part of the shit show and don't give you ammo? The video in the OP is the answer.

Embarrassing.

Pretty much.

Games journalists thinking they matter, which they don't, especially since all they do is regurgitate PR bullshit, and apparently they expect favors in return for that as they pointed out themselves in the OP video.

benny_a

So now that we all have the proper context for Marcus Beer's posts I'm commenting on my own.

What is he annoyed about?

Phil Fish and Jonathan Blow are calling out how gaming journalism works and I fully agree with it. Instead of independently verifying any of the stories like for example Patrick Klepek did, they just asked for comment on twitter so they could re-package someone else's story so it barely skirts by the definition of blogspam.

And if they waited a day in the case of Phil Fish they even got his real opinion on the issue.

Bittercup

Wasn't this before anything was even official and they were just asked to comment on rumours? I thought this was what annoyed them.
At least this is how I read the twitter posts and I understand it as a criticism on how many news are written, just fishing for some twitter posts to use them as news instead of doing journalism.

Really kind of said they don't want to be seen giving MS any kind of props after all the shit-talking they've done, but it is much easier for a corporation to do a 180 then an individual.

Maztorre

Hey indies give us clickbait consolewar bullshit comments on demand, or else we'll publicly insult you on video. Meanwhile we'll throw softball questions at any developer working at a major 3rd party because we can't lose access to that previous ad revenue and review copies.

What a fucking joke.

Wasn't this before anything was even official and they were just asked to comment on rumours? I thought this was what annoyed them.
At least this is how I read the twitter posts and I understand it as a criticism on how many news are written, just fishing for some twitter posts to use them as news instead of doing journalism.

It all depends on what you call official. We broke the story after we had multiple sources confirm the facts. We didn't run a rumor. We ran fact.

Just because Microsoft didn't want to comment on it when we asked doesn't make our reporting any less valid.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/roj70m/invisible-walls-everything-and-the-kitchen-sink

First few minutes in. Lock if old.

I didn't hear about this story, wow both Blow and Fish come across like total arseholes here if this is true, and I didn't think Phil Fish was as much of a dick as everyone else said but damn they're acting just like fucking divas now.

Have not watched. Saw the twitters pasted before this post. All over-blown bollocks. These guys are bitching about legitimate things.

Much as their characters come into question based on past comments made, and perhaps even tone in writing / voice, there's truth to their assertions.

Yes - MS switching suddenly is a reactionary move. Do we know all facts / truth? No.

Yes, journos looking for credible comments do so because it lends a piece more weight to be clickable.

Another question comes up, which seems to be why people are bitching - "why" aren't these guys just thankful and grateful that they are being approached by journos?

Easy to form an opinion on it, but why care?

.la1n

I usually enjoy watching Beer rant, and although this was entertaining it also reminds me of how entitled game journalist are. They seem to be under some misguided perception that a game cannot sale without them.

Zemm

afee8ij.png

Don't see anything wrong with what he's said here. Must be annoying being the "go to" guy whenever some big indie news comes up. Comparing it to them having to promote their games later is dumb, is this Marcus beer always this bad?

These two should stop talking.

That's what they are trying to do, but you get shitrags like game informer and kotaku pestering them for quotes on any indie rumours/news.

benny_a

I usually enjoy watching Beer rant, and although this was entertaining it also reminds me of how entitled game journalist are. They seem to be under some misguided perception that a game cannot sale without them.
That's why I wish every game journalist took Beer's advice and not cover their games.

Assuming the quality of the games of both Blow and Fish match or surpasses their last game, we could see how well indie games do without promotion by game journalists.

PC, PS4 and Xbox One all have sharing and streaming. Blow's game will be pushed directly from PlayStation while Fish's next game might get a spot on Steam's page or Nintendo puts them under their wing.

Would certainly be interesting to see how it works by just talking directly to the consumer and grassroots. It worked for Demon's Souls which traditional game journalists didn't really cover.

Their dicks because they didn't want to talk to the media? Uh okay.
Exactly how I feel. The media can be just as entitled as everyone else. And the often are. Just because you have a twitter account doesn't mean you have to talk to every reporter who comes knocking. That's really the root of this. Journalists in general are frustrated with way the Internet has castrated their once-exclusive powers.

qazqaNii

Game reviews/reviewers are overrated pos, I rather listen to some GAF members and their recommendations although Spec Ops sucked!

Zemm

Hey indies give us clickbait consolewar bullshit comments on demand, or else we'll publicly insult you on video. Meanwhile we'll throw softball questions at any developer working at a major 3rd party because we can't lose access to that previous ad revenue and review copies.

What a fucking joke.

Exactly, fucking shitty journalism at its finest. This Marcus Beer should be embarrassed.

What a fucking joke.

Really well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom