• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durango/XBox720 devkit on eBay by DAE

Would be hilarious if the top bidder was someone at Microsoft headquarters and then when they get whatever the kit is, they see if it's one of theirs.

That would most likely be the only way the listing goes full-term in hopes of monitoring where payment is received, regardless of any potential seller disinfo. (not accusing anyone of anything). Assuming Microsoft is a VeRO (Verified Rights Owner) account holder, the listing would quickly disappear simply because they submitted a request. At that point the seller is notified and has a chance to confront their accuser outside of ebay.

StuBurns

Banned
What I don't understand about this is who would buy it? MS is never going approve some random developer seeking release approval who obtained a dev kit in this manner. Any major developer would be able to get the kits from MS for a lot cheaper too. Seems like a waste of money.

Herb

Banned
What I don't understand about this, is who would buy it? MS is never going approve some random developer seeking release approval who obtained a dev kit in this manner. Any major developer would be able to get the kits from MS for a lot cheaper too. Seems like a waste of money.

If legit, probably either a media/gaming site, or... a collector? I really doubt anyone is buying it with the hopes to be a launch game or whatever.

Desty

Banned
What I don't understand about this is who would buy it? MS is never going approve some random developer seeking release approval who obtained a dev kit in this manner. Any major developer would be able to get the kits from MS for a lot cheaper too. Seems like a waste of money.

Sony!

Sean

Banned

Probably a major gaming publication trying to get an exclusive scoop. Gizmodo paid like $10,000 for the stolen iPhone 4 prototype I believe.

A dev kit doesn't really seem worth it though in terms of information. The specs usually aren't the same, you can't get an idea of the final design of the console, etc..

They are not buying it to develop games with. If you buy a devkit like this you are doing it to get a early "taste" of next gen (if it has any playabled content with it or because its a rare item to own

Is 20K fairly decent for a devkit console? What does the rarest of the rare usually bring at auction?
Xbox 360 Dev kits currently seel for $400 to $800 depending on what comes with them. This is such an exceptional situation that even 20,000 seems a steal.

I wonder if whoever bought it will upload videos of it?

1 of 3 types of people bought this

Collector, These people dont show off ANYTHING they keep it all hidden and safe until they die

Media Outlet, Tech Blog site mainly they get a few "experts" to knock up a few renders of good looking graphics and say "this is what next gen looks like" they detail all the specs and the "limits" of the consoles and glean any and all info from it.

Rich member of the hacking "undeground". Its going to be used for testing purposes but nothing big will come from it really.

Its a nice piece to own i suppose but really pointless for the vast majority. Its not like a 360 Devkit for example which people can use to get prerelease content from partnerNet and for active hacking purposes.

Not sure how it even got out there, but the kit will be shut down because it'll need to be connected online and activated.

Won't stop someone shady from doing crazy things to it if it is real.

Not sure how it even got out there, but the kit will be shut down because it'll need to be connected online and activated.

Won't stop someone shady from doing crazy things to it if it is real.

What do you mean "shut down". Its obviously not going to be connection to ANY type of network its not a network kit its just a plain old alpha kit for development purposes it has at least 1 Directx11 Game on its HDD and a 50GB bluray drive. Its strictly a offline unit.

Microsoft are by far the most likely to buy it, just so they can stamp on some faces when they work out who it originally belonged to.

Microsoft are by far the most likely to buy it, just so they can stamp on some faces when they work out who it originally belonged to.

I think it was someone who has since left MS. The guy seems like he could of been part of the Durango Network development team. They must already know who the guy is. That team cant be giant and a devkit is missing from some department and someone is now no longer employed. 2+2 is usually how it goes in this type of situation.

Unless it was physically stolen by someone who didnt work at MS.

Dug

Banned
I'm surprised MS didn't stop this.
Who's to say a MSoft employee didn't win the bidding....

wWW9n.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
I think it was someone who has since left MS. The guy seems like he could of been part of the Durango Network development team. They must already know who the guy is. That team cant be giant and a devkit is missing from some department and someone is now no longer employed. 2+2 is usually how it goes in this type of situation.

Unless it was physically stolen by someone who didnt work at MS.
Publishers have had dev kits for ages, there must be thousands of these things. It could be from anywhere couldn't it?

Who's to say a MSoft employee didn't win the bidding....

wWW9n.jpg

I reackon it went like this.

How big is the potential leak from this?
Big!
BUY IT NOW

How big is the potential leak from this?
nothing really
eh leave it

Option 2 is what i think happened.
Option 1 i want to happen for "drama"

cakefoo

Winner is probably a joke account. He has 0 feedback and his account was created yesterday...
You can't see when the winner's account was created or any real info on winners. You're probably talking about the seller. The actual winner has 377 feedback.

Source: I've sold stuff on ebay

Paypal is gonna lock the dudes account and freeze his funds until the buyer gives the OK that everything is copacetic, so I guess the buyer isn't that crazy. Still seems shady as hell tho. I would have demanded actual pics of it working and everything.

fritolay

If someone had this from Microsoft, all they would have to do is make a deal with a friend, give it to him, then call the police and report it stolen.

The original owner then would have no ties to the thing and MS would know someone out there has it.

It's not that hard to imagine.

onQ123

kaz3.jpg

Top Bottom