• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Here's the difference between BvS and Civil War:

Civil War is about a hero being framed by bad people, and an international government convention is blown up to propel the plot forward. It doesn't linger on anything but serves as an impetus motivating another hero to take a step towards change.

BvS is about a slow mo moment of dozens of people in a room dying in an instant of act of terrorism, lingering on the fact that Superman is in the room as it happens, emphasizing his sense of hopelessness, failure, and loss. It serves as an impetus for him losing faith in himself and in humanity, and questioning all that is good in this world.

It's not about being dark, it's about being negative. Lots of people watch films, especially superhero blockbusters, for fun and escapism. Emphasizing on suffering makes it weird. Civil War also has elements of that, but it was certainly not in the blowing up of government officials. :p

is it cause for concern that Justice League's budget is rumored to be like, half of BvS?

No. Where'd you get that from?

Worst case, they roll costs from Miller's JL and other failed attempts into it. Regardless it's looking like over $200mil, which is expected. Might come under BvS' $250mil, but it'll be up there.

Ninjimbo

It's not even about death or assassinations or any kind of litmus test. It's about how stuff like that is framed narratively. Like, that whole scene you're talking about isn't about inspiring action or heroics or even vengeance or anger. It's just about taking a massive dump on Superman as he realizes he's gonna get blamed for that shit. It's not meant to be sorrowful, it's meant to be depressing.
Yeah, that's why I said that BvS handles it with some dignity. I know there are a lot of films that use those plot points, but they don't lend them any weight beyond inciting heroes to action like you said. It's something that eventually gets pushed on the backburner because there's other things to be addressed in the audience's mind.

But man, the way it's framed in BvS hits me hard. That shot of the house tattered in smoke and the police officer reigning in the horse because of the shock of the explosion, it looks real. And then the scene of Supes helping the victims...

It's not Watchmen but I'm still feeling bad.

LionPride

Banned
Like, a bunch of yall cared about the plot of BvS. I, as you can most certainly tell, absolutely did not.

I didn't care about any event that happened. I had nothing to make me even want to care beyond the first 5 minutes of 9/11 imagery.

No. Where'd you get that from?

Worst case, they roll costs from Miller's JL and other failed attempts into it. Regardless it's looking like over $200mil, which is expected. Might come under BvS' $250mil, but it'll be up there.

I get JL needing to be 200+ but I'm kinda hoping the next Batman movie ends up costing under 150 million.

all you really need for action sequences is some good choreography like the warehouse scene. and perhaps one batmobile car chase. and lean more towards a detective thriller.

IconGrist

Like, a bunch of yall cared about the plot of BvS. I, as you can most certainly tell, absolutely did not.

I didn't care about any event that happened. I had nothing to make me even want to care beyond the first 5 minutes of 9/11 imagery.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything we were talking about.

duckroll

I get JL needing to be 200+ but I'm kinda hoping the next Batman movie ends up costing under 150 million.

all you really need for action sequences is some good choreography like the warehouse scene. and perhaps one batmobile car chase. and lean more towards a detective thriller.

The problem is that it's a Batman movie. It's a massively successful franchise with a proven track record. This makes it expensive based on expectations of returns alone. It can be easy to make a cheap film in Hollywood if you can convince everyone that it's a smaller film with lower potential, even if you're a big director. You can't do that with Batman.

Look at how the budget has blown up over the years from Batman -> Returns -> Forever -> Robin -> Begins -> Dark Knight -> Rises -> BvS. Realistically it's not going to go down to sub 150 million ever because everyone who works on the film will want to be paid. They know they're working on a Batman movie. It means you pay more for actors and everything else. Everyone knows a Batman film can afford it since it'll make it back.

Budgets inflate based on potential, there's no fixed cost in the business. You can't just make a "smaller" movie with a big franchise just because you want to, unfortunately.

The problem is that it's a Batman movie. It's a massively successful franchise with a proven track record. This makes it expensive based on expectations of returns alone. It can be easy to make a cheap film in Hollywood if you can convince everyone that it's a smaller film with lower potential, even if you're a big director. You can't do that with Batman.

Look at how the budget has blown up over the years from Batman -> Returns -> Forever -> Robin -> Begins -> Dark Knight -> Rises -> BvS. Realistically it's not going to go down to sub 150 million ever because everyone who works on the film will want to be paid. They know they're working on a Batman movie. It means you pay more for actors and everything else. Everyone knows a Batman film can afford it since it'll make it back.

Budgets inflate based on potential, there's no fixed cost in the business. You can't just make a "smaller" movie with a big franchise just because you want to, unfortunately.

yeah, the last few movies threw the prospect of that out the window but it's a shame. it's cool that Deadpool 2 is still sticking with a lower scale despite the mega success of the first. Fox is killing it right now with some of their properties by choosing to subvert the norm.

and say what you will about Gotham but the production design is very cool. Anachronistic style that reminds me a lot of the burton movies and the animated series.

Nah fam, BvS is bleak as hell. And I like it for that, it is refreshing, but it certainly isn't what the masses want. MoS wasn't as bleak, but it sure wasn't sunny, so I get the DCEU reputation for being "grimdark". Do I want it to do a full 180? No, but they do need to lighten up a tad.

And I'm going to need to see the receipts on this JL budget talk.

IconGrist

Oh hell no, don't tell me you like that piece of shit too?

It's awful, I tried...but it had no redeeming qualities beyond the young women who play Selina and Silver as well as Gordon.

Season 1 is trash and then in Season 2 they realized they can just do whatever they want and it became one of the best CBM related things on TV.

guek

Banned
I gave season 2 a chance yo

It's shit
7nPIzZg.jpg

LionPride

Banned
lol You remind me of The Critic. I'm just going to start randomly throwing out things I love at you to see what finally beats "It's shit".
I could go in depth about how I just did not like anything about it, characters(Except for Gordon and Bruce when he was a savage), story(This shit with Barbara is fucking absurd and not in the good way), just everything

I liked season 1 as well towards the tail end. When they finally dropped the Montoya shit and also fully got comfortable in the campy nature of the show.

and its always great when Gordon goes full John Woo and just starts shooting everybody. the real hero Gotham deserves.

Blader

I dropped it after the first season, but I thought Gotham looked kind of shitty. Not unusually shitty, but more or less par for a network network tv drama kind of shitty. Best looking show on TV?! Discover your cable channels, please.

J_Viper

Settle down.

It's a rumour at the moment and not even a credible one at that.

If, and that's a sizeable IF, Affleck has stepped away from the role it'll be this time next year before we hear anything at the earliest and that's assuming that he isn't doing The Batman but I highly doubt that

I want to believe, but there's so much smoke surrounding the DCEU that it's hard to have hope.

It's impossible for Batman to hit in 2018, right? It just kinda crazy that WB is entering that year with Aquaman alone.

Regardless of opinions of the actual show(I take it over all other cape shows combined) the city and the aesthetic is incredible.

yeah the sets are pretty cool.

i think its the best looking show on network tv easily. when you go to cable you start dealing with shit like The Knick and Mr. Robot among others which raises the competition.

love how they have old fashioned type writers at the police station too haha. And yeah I'd take Gotham over the other comic book shows pretty easily. Although Legion by the end of the season will likely take the crown.

what should we like Senpai?
a lot of people online always have positive impressions of the show, season one is the weakest and that still has many good episodes. season two improved even more.

Yeah S1 was bad till way late with a few good sprinkled in.
S2 was much better and the highs of 3 are the best around.
(that mirror image I posted is from probably my favorite episode of a superhero tv series by far)

Affleck not doing a script unless he feels it's right doesn't in the slightest would mean he's out. We should applaud him for wanting to give the fans what they deserve.
Problem is WB and DC have a perfect followup for BvS Batman just sitting there.
script, storyboarding and all.
Affleck and Johns could just punch it up a bit.

LionPride

Banned
(that mirror image I posted is from probably my favorite episode of a superhero tv series by far)
That's when I tapped the fuck out officially.

what should we like Senpai?
a lot of people online always have positive impressions of the show, season one is the weakest and that still has many good episodes. season two improved even more.
A lot of Online reviews tell me a lot of shitty shows, movies, and albums are good...

Ross61

Problem is WB and DC have a perfect followup for BvS Batman just sitting there.
script, storyboarding and all.
Affleck and Johns could just punch it up a bit.

What perfect followup?

What perfect followup?
Under the Red Hood.
Start there and edit what they want about it.

1. BvS set it up with the costume.
2. A new movie villain for Batman.
3. Joker is in it helps for marketing reasons.
4. Nightwing is in it if they want.
5. Flashbacks already there, help flesh out this older Batman in the DCEU.

Under the Red Hood.

5. Flashbacks already there, help fleshout this older Batman in the DCEU.

As much as I want this, and I have never wanted anything more, I don't think they have any interest in going that direction. They seem to be wanting to keep Batman's past a mystery, and honestly it works for most people since we all know the Batman mythos by now.

Ross61

Under the Red Hood.

5. Flashbacks already there, help fleshout this older Batman in the DCEU.

Meh, not much of a Red Hood/Jason fan at all.

And with the way Batman is right now, the story wouldn't mean nearly as much.

guek

Banned
I feel like I'm in fucking crazy town

Dude, no one cares about your opinion as much as you do. Just agree you disagree and move on. You're not going to convince anyone of anything by acting incredulous that not everyone in this thread aligns with your opinions. I say that as someone who doesn't care for Gotham too much either.

LionPride

Banned
Dude, no one cares about your opinion as much as you do. Just agree you disagree and move on. You're not going to convince anyone of anything by acting incredulous that not everyone in this thread aligns with your opinions. I say that as someone who doesn't care for Gotham too much either.
Gotham tho? Like I thought people here were better than that. I'm not angry, just disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom