• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony partnership with Shanghai Oriental Pearl (Group) to launch PlayStation in China

wapplew

I hope something like this will happen again

73440475907.jpg

Sentenza

India, population of 1.2+ billion. BRIC. Growth economy. No console ban unlike China. English is widely spoken as a language. Low language barrier to games availability.

How does the most popular console in the world fare there after 10+ years in the market?

Well, I didn't say consoles will be a sure hit in that market. Nor I care about it, frankly.
To say it all, as a PC gaming enthusiast my ideal scenario would be one where manufacturer-exclusive platforms would flop everywhere and open platforms would finally dominate completely as the industry standard.

I just pointed that even a very limited market penetration could still count as a success, given the mere size of the potential audience.

Ennoia

Banned
7f3d3dd972ec544523d28eaa3c95eefb61029f16_full.jpg

I'm interested in what this can lead to, there's a lot of money to be made on gaming in China. Perhaps in 10 - 20 years time the Chinese could be making their own mainstream console?

The subsidiaries' share value will rise and fall, and smart investors could amass fabulous wealth during this period, that's all.

Meanwhile hundreds of Chinese companies are making thousands of Android Set-Top Boxes in China, and most of them were build with controller support, it's basically like OUYA except that it begins about one or two years before OUYA's kickstarter.

And these Set-Top Boxes already became the "mainstream console" in China, you won't be surprised many kids and their parents are content with playing phone games on their TV, because they are already satisfied with many cheap and free phone games.

RyoonZ

Banned
Sony has been pushing hard by assisting a lot of Japanese-Chinese localization, I don't know how releasing PS console officially in China will help any since grey market already exist but at least they now have to release game in Simplified Chinese which is a good thing for me.

Majmun

Sony should release a few Chinese f2p MMO's for tthe Ps4 and the country will be theirs.

You still need Gold to play f2p games on the X1

Flintty

The subsidiaries' share value will rise and fall, and smart investors could amass fabulous wealth during this period, that's all.

Meanwhile hundreds of Chinese companies are making thousands of Android Set-Top Boxes in China, and most of them were build with controller support, it's basically like OUYA except that it begins about one or two years before OUYA's kickstarter.

And these Set-Top Boxes already became the "mainstream console" in China, you won't be surprised many kids and their parents are content with playing phone games on their TV, because they are already satisfied with many cheap and free phone games.

That's cool, thanks for the insight :) The growth of China over the past few decades amazes me - I'll be watching their/your space program with great interest.

wapplew

Sony should release a few Chinese f2p MMO's for tthe Ps4 and the country will be theirs.

You still need Gold to play f2p games on the X1

They have some, Warframe even come with Chinese localize. Planetside 2 is coming, but Chinese PC version of the game is pretty dead there.
FF14 Chinese PC version is coming to China, don't know they will make a PS4 version for that.
They need to make a F2P Moba console game.

iceatcs

PS4 might have chance because full free to play. But no idea how is China market, and what PS4 will have future F2Ps that Chinese like.

They have some, Warframe even come with Chinese localize. Planetside 2 is coming, but Chinese PC version of the game is pretty dead there.
FF14 Chinese PC version is coming to China, don't know they will make a PS4 version for that.
They need to make a F2P Moba console game.

Seriously i doubt "F2P strategy" will work,because chinese gamers mostly will stay with PC since most of F2P game in china doesn't come with high spec requirement

So for real,i don't think both MS&Sony will expect high for Chinese market

Kimppis

India, population of 1.2+ billion. BRIC. Growth economy. No console ban unlike China. English is widely spoken as a language. Low language barrier to games availability.

How does the most popular console in the world fare there after 10+ years in the market?

I don't think China and India are directly comparable. China is still a lot richer and the middle class is bigger, for instance. However, I do agree that it's very likely that consoles won't be that much more popular in China than they've been in India, atleast not in a short-term. They just don't give a shit about consoles.

I still think it's going to be interesting to see how influential Chinese games and the gaming industry are going to be in the future, globally. And not only games of course, but everything China and India related. We are living interesting times.

wapplew

Seriously i doubt "F2P strategy" will work,because chinese gamers mostly will stay with PC since most of F2P game in china doesn't come with high spec requirement

So for real,i don't think both MS&Sony will expect high for Chinese market

I agree. Those who choose console over PC are those who despise F2P rubbish.
They don't want console turn into another F2P machine.
What they want for a console is local server network, none censor localize content, low price game, and region free. Give them that and your console will sell well.

I am more interested in seeing what kind of developing games will come from.China.

Here.

Some examples for your reference.

QQ Speed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtVedESHrVQ
御龙在天
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtOLeQN3yy8
斗战神:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuJwKA0qsdg

I don't think China and India are directly comparable. China is still a lot richer and the middle class is bigger, for instance. However, I do agree that it's very likely that consoles won't be that much more popular in China than they've been in India, atleast not in a short-term. They just don't give a shit about consoles.

You're right, it's not directly comparable.

My main point was that just because the market is extremely large and there's a growing middle class there, there's not correlative actually being able to take hold even 0.1% of the market there.

Consoles fail in India because the gaming market isn't very strong there yet. If consoles fail in China, it won't be because there isn't a vibrant gaming community/market.

It will be because the market is 99.99999% F2P and mobile.

http://static.sse.com.cn/disclosure/listedinfo/announcement/c/2014-05-25/600832_20140526_1.pdf
Google translate(i'm lazy,sorry)

Well just like what i thought,they team up with Shanghai Oriental Pearl.
Though the announcement just said "Playstation",but pretty sure it will be PS4,and maybe PSV

I guess the release date won't be later than early next year

After MS and Sony,let's see when will Nintendo move
1) Sony, in 2011, started a software development company in China to develop homegrown PS3 software for the China market.
2) The Shanghai market is also home to the state sponsored/mandated next generation Cable TV. Microsoft already announced a similar arrangement for the XB1 with BestTV for Shanhai but in that case, BestTV is a IPTV company.
3) The PS3 is being refreshed this year and the registered in Indonesia model number has the second digit increasing by 2 which indicates two major hardware changes in the refresh likely cell to 22nm and something(s) else.
4) To succeed in the Shanghai market the game console also needs to be a Next generation Cable TV STB.

Registering the PS3 in Indonesia first might mean it's targeted at the Asia market first.

SephiZack

Sony will have a harder time than Microsoft, probably because of the Japan-China relations.

I'm Chinese and this statement is so wrong. Everytime there is a chinese related topic I read comments like these and I think about how much you people are wrong

I haven't been in China for a long time but I remember that years ago I was in a subway and EVERY DAMN KID had a PSP. In my city, every electronic store had NDS,PSP,PS3,WII. (and actually I've never seen an Xbox)

Even my parents who don't know anything about electronics know the Playstation brand and even though they dislike Japan, every electronic thing in our house and in my grandparents house is japanese.

Even my grandfather who fought in World War II doesn't give a damn

I haven't been in China for a long time but I remember that years ago I was in a subway and EVERY DAMN KID had a PSP. In my city, every electronic store had NDS,PSP,PS3,WII. (and actually I've never seen an Xbox)

Well, nobody carries a PSP anymore, but I've been in Taiwan/China recently and le gasp! there's at least one Vita per subway ride.

Kikujiro

To the people who are saying the China - Japan relationship is so bad that Japanese companies have a problem to sell their products in China, I have a simple question: Are you Chinese? Do you live in China?

I'm Chinese and I can assure you that the dispute between China and Japan is completely overblown by the media. China is in fact one of the few countries where people still think Sony's TVs are some of the best, not counting the people who play with their PSPs (I've seen more people in China with PSPs than in Italy, where I live).

Yes, in some rural areas you will probably find hardcore nationalists who hate Japan, but the middle class and the people who have money don't care about politics, they just want to live a peaceful life, buy what they like and so on, which is not different than any other part of the world.

ColiBreh1

Banned
I'm Chinese and this statement is so wrong. Everytime there is a chinese related topic I read comments like these and I think about how much you people are wrong

Even my parents who don't know anything about electronics know the Playstation brand and even though they dislike Japan, every electronic thing in our house and in my grandparents house is japanese.

Even my grandfather who fought in World War II doesn't give a damn

This!

nightever

To the people who are saying the China - Japan relationship is so bad that Japanese companies have a problem to sell their products in China, I have a simple question: Are you Chinese? Do you live in China?

I'm Chinese and I can assure you that the dispute between China and Japan is completely overblown by the media. China is in fact one of the few countries where people still think Sony's TVs are some of the best, not counting the people who play with their PSPs (I've seen more people in China with PSPs than in Italy, where I live).

Yes, in some rural areas you will probably find hardcore nationalists who hate Japan, but the middle class and the people who have money don't care about politics, they just want to live a peaceful life, buy what they like and so on, which is not different than any other part of the world.
It's entertaining to read people knowing nothing about China to talk Chinese market with confidence. It's hard to argue though, since it's what western media tell people.

Ennoia

Banned
Wow this is the first time I know NeoGAF have so many Chinese members.

1) Sony, in 2011, started a software development company in China to develop homegrown PS3 software for the China market.
2) The Shanghai market is also home to the state sponsored/mandated next generation Cable TV. Microsoft already announced a similar arrangement for the XB1 with BestTV for Shanhai but in that case, BestTV is a IPTV company.
3) The PS3 is being refreshed this year and the registered in Indonesia model number has the second digit increasing by 2 which indicates two major hardware changes in the refresh likely cell to 22nm and something(s) else.
4) To succeed in the Shanghai market the game console also needs to be a Next generation Cable TV STB.

Registering the PS3 in Indonesia first might mean it's targeted at the Asia market first.

Wait what? Where do you get the information about the first one? After PS2 failed in China Sony have to abandon the mainland market until today. For what purpose they build "homegrown PS3 software for the China market" when there's no PS3 hardware officially happened here?

Ennoia

Banned
Maybe... Maybe not

The news here in Australia last week said the the Chinese Government has banned the use of Windows 8 on all governement computers.

Re: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/latest/china-bans-windows-8/story-e6frg90f-1226928220284

So hard to say who has the worse relationship atm.

Why you guys always understanding these nonsense in such awkward way?
"Oh Chinese Communists stop buying our Win 8, they must be hostile to us again!"
SERIOUSLY? Is this how human society working in your world view? People consider buying or not buying any product should consult their supervisors in government "The native country of this console/game is our friend or not" first?

Go_Ly_Dow

Have a lot of Chinese international friends at College and console gaming just seems strange to them.

Adoption will be tough.

pubba

I don't live in an A-tier city like Beijing or Shanghai, but even my city has an electronics mall with a handful of gaming stores. You can buy a Hong Kong PS4 there for $435 right now with games costing between $30 to $60 USD.

They even have Wii-U systems, but it seems that the cracked ps3 and Xbox 360 get most of the sales.

Untapped by consoles?

More like ignored by gamers.

Not really.

There's a lot of consoles being sold there. The problem is they'll only buy one once they know the games can be pirated.

How Sony will solve this is the problem they need to look at. Offer something like steam sales and it may gather interest.

P.S. I'm Chinese.

Mario007

Not really.

There's a lot of consoles being sold there. The problem is they'll only buy one once they know the games can be pirated.

How Sony will solve this is the problem they need to look at. Offer something like steam sales and it may gather interest.

P.S. I'm Chinese.

PS Plus kinda works towards this plus the fact that PS4 has lots of F2P games. I think Vita TV would be the obvious console to launch here, cheap, has streaming services, Vita games are mostly cheap indie games etc.

Also I think the online infrastructure is gonna be a huge selling point for not pirating games. Will it be big enough? Who's to say. I suppose the problem there is the fact that you have to pay to play online.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Sony prioritised PS3 over PS4 at first, launching it at a much lower price and with PS3 essentials that are all like 10 euro each. Paying 120 kuai for a game isn't actually that much. Plus PS3 has already got the necessary certification.

Dhuie

Neo Member
Why you guys always understanding these nonsense in such awkward way?
"Oh Chinese Communists stop buying our Win 8, they must be hostile to us again!"
SERIOUSLY? Is this how human society working in your world view? People consider buying or not buying any product should consult their supervisors in government "The native country of this console/game is our friend or not" first?

We were just mentioning which governments have the better or worse relationships which can affect sales.

Are you saying that the article i linked is also my "world view" ? because that's a bit of a stretch i didn't write it or endorse it I Linked it to show how sales for microsoft can be hurt in China.

I hope you don't think I bought my console based on what country my government has the better history with otherwise i would have never bought a PS4...cough Japan
WWII.

It's my belief that open internet including consoles can break down borders and let like minded people communicate through gaming whatever brand you own.

Mario007

Gosh...
Should I open a thread to talk about the market in China?

I'd say go for it. But I only say it cause I'm doing a dissertation on the possibility of entering the chinese video gaming market and the potential of it and wanna compare resources :p

Wow this is the first time I know NeoGAF have so many Chinese members.

Wait what? Where do you get the information about the first one? After PS2 failed in China Sony have to abandon the mainland market until today. For what purpose they build "homegrown PS3 software for the China market" when there's no PS3 hardware officially happened here?
Jan 2011 article....
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-01-14-sony-targeting-chinese-mainland said:
Sony Computer Entertainment's Asian wing has confirmed plans to enter and invest in the Chinese market.

The firm will embark on training and R&D programmes in the Guangdong province, reports China Daily, ultimately leading to homegrown game development projects.

Sony is apparently seeking to launch PlayStation hardware in China, a country whose government is notoriously resistant to consoles. Hardware-makers have also been traditionally deterred by China's spectacularly high piracy rates.

While there is no timetable for a Chinese launch, projections for the planned new PlayStation business (with the contribution of other developers) have it turning over around $15 billion within the next five years.
They have 2 years left of the 5 year projection.

nightever

The newly established joint-venture company and SCE Shanghai announce they will attend CCG EXPO 2014 (China International Cartoon & Game Expo) in July. More than 30 PS4 and PSV games will be playable there and there will be big announcements on the show (most likely launch date, I'd guess).

It will be worth the effort if they carve out a market that is super small compared to Chinese population/games market but essentially as big as a medium sized european country.

I hope something like this will happen again

73440475907.jpg

It would be very welcome if you also said what that is you want to happen again.

It would be very welcome if you also said what that is you want to happen again.

Sachou Eiyuden : The Eagle Shooting Heroes.

A PSOne RPG, adapting the classic novel by renowned wuxia author Jin Yong, "The Legend of Condor Heroes", published and developed by SCEI back in the day, catered to the Chinese/Taiwanese market.

Sachou Eiyuden : The Eagle Shooting Heroes.

A PSOne RPG, adapting the classic novel by renowned wuxia author Jin Yong, "The Legend of Condor Heroes", published and developed by SCEI back in the day, catered to the Chinese/Taiwanese market.

Also the few voiced Chinese RPG for it's time.

Tsundere

Banned
Sony will have a harder time than Microsoft, probably because of the Japan-China relations.
They honestly don't care when it comes to consumer products. If anything, the Chinese like to buy high quality brand name products; something not really associated with the Microsoft brand.

Top Bottom