• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS4 GPU based on AMD's GCN 2.0 architecture?

Reiko

Banned
That is kind've wierd.

Allegedly an insider on gaf has MS document(s), and decided to share it with one of the most staunch Durango fans knowing he would evangelise further with said information? Theres nothing wrong per se I guess, but it feels like it straddles a line.

You think I'm really a 100% Durango fan? lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
if PS4 has those additional ACEs, is it possible it may be more efficient than durango?

Not criticising MS' slides, they were talking about comparisons with 360 and general increased efficiency (just that us as an audience took it out of context and then started making jizz jokes)

Reiko

Banned
if PS4 has those additional ACEs, is it possible it may be more efficient than durango?

Not criticising MS' slides, they were talking about comparisons with 360 and general increased efficiency (just that us as an audience took it out of context and then started making jizz jokes)

Yeah.

Striek

You think I'm really a 100% Durango fan? lol
Yeah.

Well actually I don't know what a "100%" fan is, but you're definitely a pretty big one, and as far as I can tell the most active in the speculation threads. Theres nothing wrong with that, I'm pretty surprised you would consider yourself otherwise though.

Reiko

Banned
Yeah.

Well actually I don't know what a "100%" fan is, but you're definitely a pretty big one, and as far as I can tell the most active in the speculation threads. Theres nothing wrong with that, I'm pretty surprised you would consider yourself otherwise though.

I want both consoles to do well. The better the competition, the better it is for all gamers.

But if MS wants to give the core to Sony, then they deserve what's coming to them if all the negative rumors outside specs are true.

StevieP

Banned
I want both consoles to do well. The better the competition, the better it is for all gamers.

But if MS wants to give the core to Sony, then they deserve what's coming to them if all the negative rumors outside specs are true.

If you're talking about stuff like locking out used games and all that jazz, it's not going to be an uncommon thing in anyone's future. Microsoft is just the first one to have it omnipresent in the console space, in terms of what's leaked.

ALAN ULTIMATE

Neo Member
If used games get blocked.....

This technically means everytime your machine breaksdown and is replaced under warranty, all of your exsisting games immediately become very expensive coasters.

But don't worry... there's plenty more at your local game store.

Just saying.

Hana-Bi

If used games get blocked.....

This technically means everytime your machine breaksdown and is replaced under warranty, all of your exsisting games immediately become very expensive coasters.

Just saying.

You think MS would be this dumb? All games will be tied to your online account.

ZaCH3000

Why are people suggesting Durango is more efficient than PS4? eSRAM + 8GB DDR3 is inefficient in comparison to a unified pool of 8GB GDDR5, no?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I saw it just now, and I even searched for '10' through the whole thread and couldn't find any discussion about this. This is what led me to think that I just misinterpreted it, and that the 10/8 thing was really something else, but I still don't understand what it refers to.

The 10 pipelines are not the same as the compute units (CUs). Look at the flow chart. All pipelines flow down to the CUs, this just means they can kick off more compute only commands in parallel. More efficient use of the CUs.

artist

Banned
I saw it just now, and I even searched for '10' through the whole thread and couldn't find any discussion about this. This is what led me to think that I just misinterpreted it, and that the 10/8 thing was really something else, but I still don't understand what it refers to.
See;
In simpler terms, the CPU is dividing the calls based on the type (graphics vs compute) and feeding the GPU accordingly. The compute tasks get further funneled to the units that are idle and get better utilization. 8x8 granularity is a lot better versus 2x2 approach of GCN.

The graphics pipeline is obviously higher priority and doesnt need the scheduling of ACEs to distribute the load.

edit: It also looks like each ACE can also interface with the DMA directly.

There is no split because the CUs are still a unified pool. Both the graphics pipeline as well 8 ACE or compute pipelines can use the 18 CUs.

McHuj

Why are people suggesting Durango is more efficient than PS4? eSRAM + 8GB DDR3 is inefficient in comparison to a unified pool of 8GB GDDR5, no?

Because the latency from the ESRAM to the GPU's L2 cache should be much, much lower than from any ram (GDDR5 or DDR3) to the L2 cache. The L2 is small ( 768 KB in Tahiti for example), so in theory the GPU could blow through that quickly and if you do, the GPU just sits idle and waits until new data arrives.

Obviously, if you prefetch all your data you can hide the latency, but that isn't always possible. Depends on what you're computing and how you're computing it. My guess is that the ESRAM really helps performance when you can't prefetch into the L2 cache. But that's just my speculation.

Top Bottom