• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead out September 29th for $19.99 (XB1/Windows 10 and Steam)

Zenner

20 bux sounds good to me! :0

Has anyone played the newer platforming sections of the game? All the previous shows I've seen have been doing the original boss rush fights.

Teeth

Really glad we're at a release date

How is the mood at the studio going? You guys are about to release your dream project right!?!

Very excited, a little scared, and working crazy hours to jam as much in as we can.

Are you working with anyone to get a physical release ?

We've had it in the back of our minds for a while, but I don't think we have anything definitive yet. If it happens, it'll be after release.

glow

Banned
This really need a muted color or black and white graphic option. The colors are too vivid, it clashes with the classic animation art style. I'll buy it nevertheless.

gfxtwin

This really need a muted color or black and white graphic option. The colors are too vivid, it clashes with the classic animation art style. I'll buy it nevertheless.

If nothing else, you can turn the color on your TV all the way down :p

gfxtwin

Very excited, a little scared, and working crazy hours to jam as much in as we can.

We've had it in the back of our minds for a while, but I don't think we have anything definitive yet. If it happens, it'll be after release.

Question if you are up to answering it: What was the art direction process of capturing the essence of those 30's cartoons? What was done to get the art style to look and feel exactly like that style of animation that might not be obvious to anyone who sees footage or reads articles about it?

Risero

Banned
SszMe3D.jpg

Just gonna leave this here

Can you disable the vaseline filter?

I know it's part of the style but it makes me feel like my eyes aren't working. I would rather have the cool art with a sharp look.

Teeth

Question if you are up to answering it: What was the art direction process of capturing the essence of those 30's cartoons? What was done to get the art style to look and feel exactly like that style of animation that might not be obvious to anyone who sees footage or reads articles about it?

It's mostly animating everything on "ones", which means there's a uniquely drawn frame for all 24fps of animation. Pretty much all Other animation is done on "twos" or "threes" to reduce the work load. Additionally, every frame is hand drawn and inked to maintain a sufficient level of roughness that gets polished out of modern animation.

You also have to do ridiculous stuff like animating every single frame of a rotating object, rather than relying on a single frame and rotating it in engine.

For the actual characters, we mimic the "rubber hose" look of the era, which is all the noodley arms and legs. The characters also generally bounce to an unheard beat instead of standing still.

Hand painting the backgrounds helps too.

It's mostly animating everything on "ones", which means there's a uniquely drawn frame for all 24fps of animation. Pretty much all Other animation is done on "twos" or "threes" to reduce the work load. Additionally, every frame is hand drawn and inked to maintain a sufficient level of roughness that gets polished out of modern animation.

You also have to do ridiculous stuff like animating every single frame of a rotating object, rather than relying on a single frame and rotating it in engine.

For the actual characters, we mimic the "rubber hose" look of the era, which is all the noodley arms and legs. The characters also generally bounce to an unheard beat instead of standing still.

Hand painting the backgrounds helps too.

So if Rotoscoping is the technique used to make the traditional hand drawn cartoons, what would you name what you guys do if you could? Or is there already an official name for it?

I'm still bitter and heartbroken over you not liking my OT title btw. Cuphead |OT| Rotoscope Blend... Maybe I need to explain it better? It suggests that the cup is full of rotoscope blend tea... Your game is emulating Rotoscoped animation... Rotoscope animation is old and timeless, just like tea... Tea is good for you and everyone should do it... Just like your game.

Teeth

So if Rotoscoping is the technique used to make the traditional hand drawn cartoons, what would you name what you guys do if you could? Or is there already an official name for it?

I'm still bitter and heartbroken over you not liking my OT title btw. Cuphead |OT| Rotoscope Blend... Maybe I need to explain it better? It suggests that the cup is full of rotoscope blend tea... Your game is emulating Rotoscoped animation... Rotoscope animation is old and timeless, just like tea... Tea is good for you and everyone should do it... Just like your game.

Rotoscoping is tracing over filmed motion. We are just hand animating straight out of imagination. I don't believe there's any rotoscoping in Cuphead, though there are some sequences that use filmed miniatures in the background (which was another traditional technique ). For instance, the rotating spire in the background of the dragon boss is a hand made model (about 4 feet tall) that was photographed at every rotational angle and spooled into an animation set. But that's not really rotoscoping either, as it's the actual filmed object, not a paint over or trace.

Rotoscoping is tracing over filmed motion. We are just hand animating straight out of imagination. I don't believe there's any rotoscoping in Cuphead, though there are some sequences that use filmed miniatures in the background (which was another traditional technique ). For instance, the rotating spire in the background of the dragon boss is a hand made model (about 4 feet tall) that was photographed at every rotational angle and spooled into an animation set. But that's not really rotoscoping either, as it's the actual filmed object, not a paint over or trace.

I get that, I just meant that the game looks almost exactly like the old rotoscoped cartoons and is what pretty much everyone is going to relate it to. I wasn't implying that you actually used it.

Zenner

there are some sequences that use filmed miniatures in the background (which was another traditional technique ). For instance, the rotating spire in the background of the dragon boss is a hand made model (about 4 feet tall) that was photographed at every rotational angle and spooled into an animation set

Do you plan on releasing any BTS videos, or "How We Made Cuphead" vids (the Studio MDHR YouTube channel is quite spartan). All of these details are fascinating, and would make for an amazing documentary for animation fans. :D

Lol. Seriously? Its Just $19,99. And its such a fresh looking game. Its Day One for me.

$20 for a glorified rental is too much, even for a great game like Cuphead. I'm pretty much done buying digital-only games at this point unless it's some ridiculous Steam sale.

I'm kinda surprised it's only $20. I hope the developers can make a profit off this game considering the extended development time.

$20 for a glorified rental is too much, even for a great game like Cuphead. I'm pretty much done buying digital-only games at this point unless it's some ridiculous Steam sale.

I have digital games on my XB1 that I purchased back in 2006. I have Steam games I purchased back in 2004. "Glorified rental", my ass.

Teeth

Hey, you know what? I totally get that point of view, it's cool.

But what if I could tempt you with a DRM free version on GoG? You could burn it to a disc and play it forever, license free!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

But what if I could tempt you with a DRM free version on GoG? You could burn it to a disc and play it forever, license free!

...are ... are you saying Cuphead is coming to GOG? O_O

So excited for the game, good luck during these final months!

Glassboy

The art direction is mind boggingly good. It brings me back to when we watched VHS copies of the old Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck cartoons. It sucks the game is coming out on the day I leave for a weekend wedding. I cannot wait for this. Congrats on a firm date!

Excelsior

sounds like a cup half full to me :')

would love this!

I'm really happy for these guys to finally be coming out and to make it through everything.

Be a long time before I get to play it, depending on whether I get an X1X or a consolized PC at some point finally, but idgaf... best wishes.

Top Bottom