• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Mozilla CTO: "Chrome won."

I use Firefox on my PC and Android but the OS X and iOS versions are pretty dire.

I have to use Chrome for work and it has grown on me but I still prefer Firefox on Windows by a wide margin.

jelly

Still use Firefox, honestly haven't noticed the performance issues, although I don't tend to have many tabs open and close the browser. Have the add ons I like, just what I'm use to.

Call me tin foil hat wearing but I don't like going all in with Google.

Have tried Edge but go back Firefox for familiarity and add ons. Might go back to it, don't have much of an opinion on it, haven't used it enough.

Erheller

I switched from Firefox to Palemoon (basically Firefox copycat that discards the newst changes) because performance became terrible. It doesn't even matter if Firefox addons don't work as well on Palemoon if Firefox generally plays worse than it did 5 years ago.

Chrome isn't perfect either. The Dire fox team needs to stop screwing up basic functionality.

Oh hey, another Pale Moon user. I like Pale Moon because it's fast, keeps the old familiar layout, and is a relatively unknown browser so it's less likely to be targeted.

I have Chrome installed to watch youtube videos (although I'm starting to just stream them to mpv) and anything that requires Flash, but that's about it.

I switched from official Firefox to a custom branch called Cyberfox about a year ago. This week I started using Vivaldi on the side for professional purposes, and it's very nice.

On mobile, Safari is pretty great. Though I don't see what it offers that Chrome already doesn't. Think web rendering in general is better on Safari?
apple does not allow 3rd party browsers to use their own rendering engine on ios, in fact i believe they have to use one that is inferior to mobile safari but im not 100% sure on that

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Stock browser on mobile, Firefox on PC. Not a big fan of Chrome on either.

jett

D-Member
Speaking about Chrome, I'm currently suffering from memory leaks (I guess?) Been going on for a few weeks.

khYc0qc.jpg

Seriously, what the fuck. That's five tabs being open.

Used to be an Opera user ages ago. It unfortunately turned to shit. It doesn't even have bookmarks anymore. I don't know why it even exists still.

Someone once said to me "Come to Opera, it's nice." First thing I noticed was that they had no bookmarks at that time, uninstalled immediately. Can't live without bookmarks.

Speaking about Chrome, I'm currently suffering from memory leaks (I guess?) Been going on for a few weeks.

khYc0qc.jpg

Do you have any / many addons? Because mine had problems with that.

khYc0qc.jpg

open the chrome task manager, it should you give a better idea of what using all the memory

smisk

Still using Firefox, it's a shame it's gone down so much. Tried Chrome a couple times but didn't really care for it. I don't really have that good a reason to use Firefox - don't use as many extensions and stuff anymore - but I'm just used to it. It's nice that it's open-source too.

Yeah, that makes sense, I pretty much use Chrome in all circumstances on all machines (other than my iPhone, because I believe Safari is still superior in that capacity).

I'll always be thankful to Firefox for saving me from Internet Explorer though. I was in awe when I realized what a true web browser is capable of.

ldar247

Banned
FF always felt slow to me and I don't use any extensions other than ublock and a video downloader, no reason to use it in 2017.

Someone once said to me "Come to Opera, it's nice." First thing I noticed was that they had no bookmarks at that time, uninstalled immediately. Can't live without bookmarks.

It's not really a "problem" addons live in their own process in chrome by design. So if they crash it doesn't take your entire browser with it.

Somnid

The graph overwhelmingly shows that mobile is the driver and that mobile users don't change their defaults (and iOS users literally can't). Going straight in this is unlikely to change, but there maybe be opportunity building decentralized web projects or perhaps a new paradigm like voice UI for assistant type devices could bolster market share.

Pokemaniac

The problem is that Chrome is the new IE6.

IE6 wasn't bad because it was a bad browser. IE6 was bad because web development started targeting it specifically.

I use both Edge and Firefox, but the writing has been on the wall for quite a long time. Chrome came at a time when FF was struggling with the 3.0 version, Safari all but left the Windows market, and Microsoft kept its slow as molasses pace with IE (and still is with Edge and its dependency on Windows). The fact that Google also controls Android just makes it a simple matter of convenience to people.

I only hope that Google refrains from making Blink-exclusive implementations as Microsoft did back then with Internet Explorer.

Dhx

Firefox had too many memory issues. It is ridiculous that it only lasts a certain amount of time before it inevitably crashes. I used it for a very long time and indeed there are some plugins/ add ons that keep me using it irregularly but Chrome has indeed become my main browser.

And I welcome my google overlords.

Sadly, this. I used Firefox for a decade and loved everything about it. The awesome bar was nothing short of amazing. Over time, the memory issues for my use case (tabs and windows all over the place) just kept causing crashes that came more and more often. Using memory dump and restart addons would help but it was annoying and not foolproof. Finally about a year ago, I gave up and installed Chrome.

Firefox is "the backup browser" for me. Used if a webpage is fucked up and I need to find out if it's Chrome or the website itself.

I use Waterfox with the FT Deep dark theme. I have used this combination for so long I just couldn't leave it.

I also use Firefox on android. Chrome just doesn't feel as good to me as Waterfox.

jett

D-Member

Opera was nice and snappy once. If I've ever been a fanboy of an internet browser, it was Opera.

Anyway, nah, I have like two or three add-ons.

open the chrome task manager, it should you give a better idea of what using all the memory

I restarted Chrome but I'll keep that in mind now. Seems just an empty tab is over 50MB. A YouTube tab swells up to over 200K. Welp.

Obi

Neo Member
Fun story by the way. Talk to kids about smartphones and homework. I have seen first hand kids doing homework on a phone, resting their elbows on a brand new MBP. Kids grow up with touch. Laptops are unfamiliar to them. Maybe tablets will fill this gap, but keyboards are definitely not something that is intuitive to you if you had a smartphone by age 3 or 4.

This is kinda funny because trying to use Firefox on a windows tablet is what made me finally switch away from it after years of use. The dpi scaling support is terrible. The UI needs a lot of work for touch. The touch screen keyboard randomly just wont popup. It uses a ton of ram and power. I'm actually using Edge now of all things.

Accoun

I still remember how much of a disaster the Webkit thing was for Opera and how much they pissed off their userbase.

Went to Firefox, then Pale Moon and have Vivaldi on the side (for YT/Twitch since I like to have them in a separate window and PM had problems with them in the beginning, which are of course now fixed).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

khYc0qc.jpg

That seems normal. Chrome has a new task for every tab (plus I think one or two extra tasks for central code), and that memory usage is not out of ordinary - if some of the tabs are playing high res youtube videos or gaf pages with many gifs going.

Mithos

Chrome always (for me) download files broken, so I use Firefox mainly, I use Chrome for the builtin translation though, since that have worked way better then any kind of plugin/addon I've tried for Firefox so far.

Falchion

I switched to Firefox back in the day but when Chrome came out and was blazing fast, I switched and never went back.

Pokemaniac

ie6 was bad because it was a bad browser, that also took 5 years to replaced with ie7

It was also a bad browser, but that's not why it became toxic to web design.

Web development needs multiple competing browsers with their own rendering engines to stay healthy. Otherwise people start focusing too much on targeting the browser rather than the standards. IE6 focused everyone around Trident, and now Chrome is doing the same with Blink/WebKit.

I use Edge for work and Chrome for personal stuff, usually have both open side by side so I can switch back and forth.

Stopped using Firefox yeeeeaaarrrssss ago for whatever reason.

nemesun

If it wasn't for the fact that one of my online business bank accounts only works on IE, I would consider IE already obsolete.

NandoGip

How many people read the article? The point wasn't that Chrome won, the point was that Chrome might be the most popular browser, but browsers aren't pretty much irrelevant now. The next thing is the structure that gives access to the internet to IoT's and other devices

I changed from Firefox to Chrome because I couldn't stop myself from having over 1,000 tabs open on Firefox, whereas you can't really have more tabs than will fit on a screen width with Chrome.

Top Bottom