• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Michigan, Trump voters still have the president's back

Magwik

Banned
By far one of the most embarrassing things I've seen locally here is the support for Trump for a jobs perspective. The largest union in the greater Detroit area endorsed Clinton through and through, yet these people in the UAW vote outside of their own interests.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Don't see much discussion about Michigan's problems in this thread. Mostly just people calling their voters idiots and racists.

I lived there for 15 years before (thankfully) getting out. Here are some problems:

1) Brain drain--Skilled graduates leaving the state in droves because of better paying jobs elsehwere.

2) Governmental failures--not just republicans, either, as Granholm was not a great governor. Rural areas are getting more rural and the state is basically under permanent republican control, and money isn't going where it needs to.

3) Public education--Schools in Michigan aren't that great. Republicans changed the tenure policy as well as the health plan, and there are no real incentives for intelligent, qualified teachers to join the workforce in Michigan like there used to be. As a result, schools are declining in quality.

4) Ignorance--As I said earlier, anywhere north of Grand Rapids other than Traverse City is a rural wasteland. Yet, for some reason, these people blame democrats for their struggles and, as others mentioned, even the ones on welfare want to make sure that other welfare recipients are punished. It is a bizarre stupidity.

Astral Dog

To be fair they are right,there are powerful and not so powerful people blocking him from realizing some of his idiotic promises

Don't see much discussion about Michigan's problems in this thread. Mostly just people calling their voters idiots and racists.

If someone burns his hand on a hot stove, knowing the stove is hot and causes pain and a burn. And you call him an idiot, and that makes him so mad, he doubles down and puts his face on the stove...what kind of people are we talking about exactly?

Because that would equal voting for Donald again in 2020.

I lived there for 15 years before (thankfully) getting out. Here are some problems:

1) Brain drain--Skilled graduates leaving the state in droves because of better paying jobs elsehwere.

2) Governmental failures--not just republicans, either, as Granholm was not a great governor. Rural areas are getting more rural and the state is basically under permanent republican control, and money isn't going where it needs to.

3) Public education--Schools in Michigan aren't that great. Republicans changed the tenure policy as well as the health plan, and there are no real incentives for intelligent, qualified teachers to join the workforce in Michigan like there used to be. As a result, schools are declining in quality.

4) Ignorance--As I said earlier, anywhere north of Grand Rapids other than Traverse City is a rural wasteland. Yet, for some reason, these people blame democrats for their struggles and, as others mentioned, even the ones on welfare want to make sure that other welfare recipients are punished. It is a bizarre stupidity.

Well I moved back after 4 years away in the military, found a high paying job in weeks and built a new home in a rapidly growing community full of intelligent and successful people. Many of them moved here from out of state. My neighbor is from the UK for example. Property values are skyrocketing and the Ann Arbor, Saline, Dexter school districts are great. Similar successful areas in Michigan include Plymouth, Canton, Novi, Northville, Troy, Sterling Heights, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, and I can go on for days.

But Michigan sucks and we should all leave....

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well I moved back after 4 years away in the military, found a high paying job in weeks and built a new home in a rapidly growing community full of intelligent and successful people. Many of them moved here from out of state. My neighbor is from the UK for example. Property values are skyrocketing and the Ann Arbor, Saline, Dexter school districts are great. Similar successful areas in Michigan include Plymouth, Canton, Novi, Northville, Troy, Sterling Heights, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, and I can go on for days.

1. Nowhere did I say the state sucks and you should leave. Nowhere. Stop being so defensive.

2. What is the geographic location of all the cities you listed? What areas was I actually talking about in my post? Hint: They aren't the same.

The very poll cited in this thread shows he is doing poorly with all voters in Michigan and is weak with even Republicans but they found some die-hards to report anecdotes on?

What the fuck is the point of any of this? That you can scour the state of Michigan and find some people to quote positive things about Trump?

The very poll cited in this thread shows he is doing poorly with all voters in Michigan and is weak with even Republicans but they found some die-hards to report anecdotes on?

What the fuck is the point of any of this? That you can scour the state of Michigan and find some people to quote positive things about Trump?

Agreed. Trump diehards are gonna be Trump diehards. Nothing new there. I'm more interested in the thoughts of those that only voted for Trump as an antiHillary vote.

Michigan native who has lived here my whole life. It's accurate. Absolutely ridiculous the idiots I run into when visiting family in the rural communities. Trump could come and burn their crop fields and they'd support him.

WedgeX

Banned

Its great to have pride in your community. And to point out the "nice suburbs" + Ann Arbor. But the reality in numbers is vastly different. The state's unemployment rate is down...but most of that is due to a hemorrhaging of population during and following the Great Recession with the state having less population now than in 2007.

From my links above:

kWhtjH3.png

A poll of LIKELY VOTERS gives him a 35% approval rating in a pivotal swing state he BARELY managed to win. But reporters found some people with some cool quotes so he's gonna cruise to victory in 2020.

If this were anyone else, the story would be how the President needs to reach out to voters who disapprove, turn things around, is in danger of losing Michigan. But it's Trump so the story is what his ultra hardcore fan base think.

Siyou

Living in Michigan, I can attest that Trump is indeed "doing a good job" to the thoughts of my coworkers. I get a free weekly paper and they tell good things of Trump, the radios talked of Trumps claim for "fake news". They'll come around though once the news here in Michigan changes its tone. It's a world of eager listeners here, and few question what the others are so eager to understand.

*puts down weekly paper telling of the harms and effects of marijuana, stating "Colorado wishes they had the data they have now before legalizing it..."*

Our problem is we have a significant population of idiots willing to harm themselves because they hate minorities. People can pretend this is about economics or whatever, but as somebody who spent over 20 years in rural Michigan that is absolutely not the case. These morons won't accept "government handouts" because they feel it below them. They'd rather they and their children suffer because "taking money is what the blacks do". They hate education because it's "the left trying to destroy our life". They think universal healthcare is bad because "why should someone who doesn't work have the same rights as me", despite the fact their only contribution was turning a screw in a plant or driving a tractor.

R0ckman

there is so much noise in this age of information that people have shut down

hell my head is spinning from Neogaf Topics

Its insufferable that ignorance has gripped people so tightly that they cant let go. Something crazy is happening in this country and its like nothing i have ever seen before

This isnt ignorance though, this is people WILLINGLY being stupid, because they have the ability to access countless amounts of info more freely than before. I've never read anything like this happening in history before.

Its like people doubled down on being stupid as a hard response to the information age. People need something they believe in, something they can die for, more than they need accuracy or truth.

Most people don't care about the truth. They care about whether something feels right.

Remember, NeoGAF, along with every other person, left or right, isn't exempt from this problem.

Lots of self awareness is needed these days, it isn't easy. I fall into the trap too.

Our problem is we have a significant population of idiots willing to harm themselves because they hate minorities. People can pretend this is about economics or whatever, but as somebody who spent over 20 years in rural Michigan that is absolutely not the case. These morons won't accept "government handouts" because they feel it below them. They'd rather they and their children suffer because "taking money is what the blacks do". They hate education because it's "the left trying to destroy our life". They think universal healthcare is bad because "why should someone who doesn't work have the same rights as me", despite the fact their only contribution was turning a screw in a plant or driving a tractor

Hey! My uncle pushed a button! 😡
Fuck that guy

I got a neighbor who proudly waves the "Confederate Flag" and I'm pretty sure most of my other relatives (who are poorly educated idiots) around here almost certainly voted for Trump if they voted at all and weren't incarcerated.

I'm pretty sure Trump overwhelmingly got the 50+ year old, I know for sure he won the white retiree vote with all those people who have nothing to do so going to vote on a Tuesday isn't a big deal to them.

Damaniel

Banned
The things I don't understand are this:
1. WHAT has he done such a good job at? He hasn't actually done anything. His biggest move was his executive order that got shot down and a health care bill that won't make it out of the Senate.
2. Democrats control NO branch of government! They can't obstruct you! The GOP could pass a law tomorrow that says all black people have to bow when a white person walks near them and that shit ain't getting struck down until it gets to the supreme court. Like the fact they think the minority party in all branches of government is obstructing means they have no clue how incompetent and weak Trump really is.

Which is good. If they had a person in office who wasn't a moron there could be even worse issues.

He's not black and he hates Muslims and Mexicans. That's all they need.

Sunster

He's not black and he hates Muslims and Mexicans. That's all they need.

well he says he does. I don't the he personally feels strongly about anything. sure, he's racist. but hates them? I think that's a show for his voters who really hate them.

Ac30

Hey! My uncle pushed a button! 😡
Fuck that guy

I got a neighbor who proudly waves the "Confederate Flag" and I'm pretty sure most of my other relatives (who are poorly educated idiots) around here almost certainly voted for Trump if they voted at all and weren't incarcerated.

I'm pretty sure Trump overwhelmingly got the 50+ year old, I know for sure he won the white retiree vote with all those people who have nothing to do so going to vote on a Tuesday isn't a big deal to them.

Those Medicare cuts are going to bite them so hard

Tenumi

Banned
Over the past ten years, Michigan has been taken over by Tea Party right-wingers. The state is flooded with them. Most places in the state north of Grand Rapids are rural, and Detroit's population has continued to fall, so the state turning into a red state isn't surprising in the least.

Michigan is facing serious brain drain. The economy wasn't great for years and a LOT of skilled graduates took off for greener pastures.

Sitting here in West Michigan (Holland area pretty much), I've totally seen it. Besides a few Facebook friends and surprisingly my formerly-Republican parents, pretty much everyone I know is right-wing.

Unfortunately for me, I'm pretty much stuck in this state. Strong anxiety, depression, etc. is keeping me from being able to work (long story), and without any money, I can't just up and leave the state for hope and dreams.

kingocfs

I know we all wish that the folks who voted for him would just wake the fuck up already, but it's still worth pointing out that dude's only been President for four months. Yeah, it's felt like a lifetime to all of us, but a lot of his constituents are still very much in the "give him a chance" phase or are of the mind that he's not being treated fairly and none of his constant fuck-ups are his fault. Also, four months isn't nearly enough time for his supporters to become affected by his terrible policies.

They'll probably continue to feel this way for a couple of years, so strap in.

Yeah, it's far too early for this kind of stuff.

Lifelong Michigan resident here and this is so sad but accurate. My dad will defend anything this man does and I highly doubt will ever come around to saying he made a mistake voting for him. The amount of Trump signs I still see around lawns makes me sigh.

KingV

My thoughts exactly. In a state where you won by 10K votes, losing like 5-10% of any demographic is a huge fucking problem in 2020.

Magwik

Banned
The brainwashed fools.
Trump could drop a nuke in Michigan and his base would find a way to blame democrats.

The state Republicans and Congrss came close and just let one of the largest cities in the state suffer with unhumane water conditions for over two years

Like I've been saying since forever. Trump could piss, shit, and cum in the mouths of his supporters and they'll give him a pass as long as liberals have to see/smell it.

G-Unit

Dear America, you are no longer our big brother who would bully us at times but also protect us from ourselves. But these days I almost want to yell to you "go fuck yourself"

You literally listed a bunch of white suburbs in a collective south east bubble of the state. You comments remind me of all my friends still living back home in Ann Arbor where I'm from that think everything is ok. Once you step across city lines back home, everywhere else is pretty much a shit show..My Best friend works for Flint PD and the water is still shit brown. Head north or west and its a wasteland of people who don't have money or jobs.

I was in the Detroit area Spring 2016 for a work-related seminar, and it was really eye opening seeing the swaths of abandoned neighbourhoods with ransacked houses.

I remember when the movie Don't Breathe came out it received a bit of criticism for setting the story in an abandoned neighbourhood, and that it was a little too convenient the kids got trapped in that house with no neighbours or witnesses anywhere in sight. But lots of areas of Michigan are still really like that. It's sad.

You literally listed a bunch of white suburbs in a collective south east bubble of the state. You comments remind me of all my friends still living back home in Ann Arbor where I'm from that think everything is ok. Once you step across city lines back home, everywhere else is pretty much a shit show..My Best friend works for Flint PD and the water is still shit brown. Head north or west and its a wasteland of people who don't have money or jobs.

I work all over the state of Michigan. From K-Zoo to Port Huron, Monroe to Traverse City. If there is a hospital, I've spent some time there. I have family in Saginaw, Taylor, Midland, Holland, Commerce Twp, Howell.

Michigan is no different than most states. Some rural, racist areas. Some "hoods" with abandoned buildings. Then some rich white areas etc. I work in North Carolina a lot, lived in Mississippi, Georgia, Texas. I have friends I visit in Arizona, Nevada, upstate New York, Ohio. Michigan is by far the place I want to live in the most.

Yes, the situation is Flint is awful. No one should be subject to that sort of treatment and mismanagement from their local government. But that's hardly representative of the state as a whole.

wildfire

Banned

That's because support for Trump objectively makes you an idiot.

If you look at the threads about Michigin's problems such as the water crisis or the newest report about car manufacturing then there is a more focused discussion on what their problems on.

Invoking Trump is a poison pill to any conversation.

I work all over the state of Michigan. From K-Zoo to Port Huron, Monroe to Traverse City. If there is a hospital, I've spent some time there. I have family in Saginaw, Taylor, Midland, Holland, Commerce Twp, Howell.

Michigan is no different than most states. Some rural, racist areas. Some "hoods" with abandoned buildings. Then some rich white areas etc. I work in North Carolina a lot, lived in Mississippi, Georgia, Texas. I have friends I visit in Arizona, Nevada, upstate New York, Ohio. Michigan is by far the place I want to live in the most.

Yes, the situation is Flint is awful. No one should be subject to that sort of treatment and mismanagement from their local government. But that's hardly representative of the state as a whole.

Well...it kind of sorta really does speak to your state because Flint is...within the state of Michigan, and yet state government hasn't done anything. No one has been arrested, etc. It's been what? 4 years at this point? I would say it definitely speaks to the state that they haven't stepped in to resolve the problem.

Our problem is we have a significant population of idiots willing to harm themselves because they hate minorities. People can pretend this is about economics or whatever, but as somebody who spent over 20 years in rural Michigan that is absolutely not the case. These morons won't accept "government handouts" because they feel it below them. They'd rather they and their children suffer because "taking money is what the blacks do". They hate education because it's "the left trying to destroy our life". They think universal healthcare is bad because "why should someone who doesn't work have the same rights as me", despite the fact their only contribution was turning a screw in a plant or driving a tractor.

Ok. first of all, you can provide for children much easier with the income from a stable job then you can living off of government welfare.

Criticizing people for actually saying something that should be fairly obvious makes you come across as entitled and out of touch with the 1st world.

Second. It might be comforting to blanket label all of Trump's voters/supporters as idiot racists, but that's not reality.

There were good and bad people on both sides of the election, that isn't what decided the presidency.

You can convince anyone to do anything if you can convince them that it will benefit them in the long run. That's the principle that good business deals are built on.

And calling people stupid for falling for a politician's lies doesn't make sense when %100 of politicians lie in order to get elected.

tldr: As long as the left is focused on telling Michigan that Michiganders are stupid, rather than working with them to solve their issues, Michigan will remain a red state. And it's very obvious reading through this thread that the left has no intention of working with or actually helping Michigan.

Foffy

Banned
By far one of the most embarrassing things I've seen locally here is the support for Trump for a jobs perspective. The largest union in the greater Detroit area endorsed Clinton through and through, yet these people in the UAW vote outside of their own interests.

That's the power of jobs cult cultures.

When one thinks jobs are the objective goal of the universe, you will indeed get people wanting restoration campaigns that just roll the clock back decades.

It's a dark sign of things that are coming...

Top Bottom