• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Male Stars Are Too Buff Now

entremet

Some do, some don't. If you watch behind the scenes features, they're constantly working out before takes to have a pump; and for shirtless scenes prepare days in advance. Jackman dehydrates himself when he knows there's a shirtless scenes coming up.

Drugs themselves are for a variety reasons:

Recovery from crazy workouts.
Look at some the those transformation workouts. Try doing them and see if you recover from them adequately. Even fit twenty year olds will be destroyed by some of them from a work capacity perspective.

Accelerated muscle building.
You can build many of these physiques naturally, but it takes time. PEDs cut that time considerably for time sensitive film shoots.

Staying lean while maintaining healthy hormone levels.
Going to low BF% can affect your hormone levels negatively. If you're taking drugs, they can stabilize them so you don't feel the ill effects of a low body fat.

PEDs are complex things. It's not just about building muscle alone.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
On the surface I'd disagree but when you realize some of these actors are achieving these goals via unnatural means then you have an argument against it. Creates a false perception of what is achievable in totality and in a time frame. Eating keto everyday wont pack on twenty pounds of muscle in six months while shredding. Everyone should strive to look like Justin Theroux though gotdamn.

For sure we are at the height of insanely buff men in movies. I think the combo of Marvel + The Rock really pushed things hard in that direction. But I don't see a ton wrong with it as I don't see much wrong with many women in movies being incredible attractive.

Just try to make it look good. Zac Effron looks really bad at this point and my wife was watching Charlie Saint Cloud the other day and we both noticed how much better he looked then.

Hemsworth and Evans are the ones who are killing it. Those dudes builds are top if the line

Astral

Some do, some don't. If you watch behind the scenes features, they're constantly working out before takes to have a pump; and for shirtless scenes prepare days in advance. Jackman dehydrates himself when he knows there's a shirtless scenes coming up.

Damn that's a lot. I guess a lot of it depends on the character they're playing too. Any superhero especially pretty much has to be jacked.

What the hell did Effron do to get that body in Baywatch though? It's creepy as hell. His abs look like Vaan's from FFXII.

3ad6ff59b575745f4726a338dc6fda32.png

Christian Bale pioneered this. Think about his body in Batman Begins. Bale was literally 100 pounds lighter going into training for Batman Begins.

But how are we concerned with this?

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
In the only instance of an effective trickle-down economy, muscles today are ubiquitous to the point of pointlessness: Why does Ben Stiller have abs? Does Kevin Hart need to be so jacked? Does the depressed, alcoholic small-town police chief on The Leftovers need an eight-pack?
Yea. It's getting ridiculous.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Damn that's a lot. I guess a lot of it depends on the character they're playing too. Any superhero especially pretty much has to be jacked.

What the hell did Effron do to get that body in Baywatch though? It's creepy as hell. His abs look like Vaan's from FFXII.

3ad6ff59b575745f4726a338dc6fda32.png

Efron swung far too hard for low bodyfat. Let us not forget Matthew Fox's ridiculous transformation...

Sub 10% bodyfat can look insane. A little cushion can be a good thing.

99Luffy

Banned
I wouldnt say marvel or any movie started it. We live in the instagram generation. Everyone even males are trying to get as photogenic as possible.

Kinyou

Zac efron just pushes it too much.

jwMYPMk.jpg

That's not just a trained dude, that's someone who's part of a bodybuilder contest and spend the last few hours dehydrating himself

Don't take Chris Evans and Henry Cavill away from me.
I need my yearly dose of shirtless jacked-up superheroes. And Hemsworth and Pratt are just disgusting pretenders.

But yeah, Zac Efron looks unreal to the point that it's kinda disturbing. I'm always afraid his muscles are going to burst out Tetsuo style.

I'm grateful that Henry Cavill doesn't shave his chest as Superman. It gives men realistic expectation for their bodies.

Drugs themselves are for a variety reasons:

Recovery from crazy workouts.
Look at some the those transformation workouts. Try doing them and see if you recover from them adequately. Even fit twenty year olds will be destroyed by some of them from a work capacity perspective.

Accelerated muscle building.
You can build many of these physiques naturally, but it takes time. PEDs cut that time considerably for time sensitive film shoots.

Staying lean while maintaining healthy hormone levels.
Going to low BF% can affect your hormone levels negatively. If you're taking drugs, they can stabilize them so you don't feel the ill effects of a low body fat.

PEDs are complex things. It's not just about building muscle alone.

Yeah. Feels like ultimately there are a number of factors to having actors look impeccable for the minutes you see them on screen.

Why is a padded suit not acceptable these days? Everything else on screen is fake, why does the body have to be real?

Because men are showing a lot of skin in these action films now days. Even dudes like Paul Rudd and Benedict Cumbetbatch are required to go shirtless in Marvel films

Like, the biggest blockbuster movie action star ever is Arnold. It´s all his fault.

Personally, i appreciate it. Yeah, they juice, but you still have to put the work in. It´s not like you can just chill and eat chips all day and get fucking shredded.

Also it gets me motivated myself. Obviously not to that extend and i know i won´t look like that cause i´m lazy but still, every time Hemsworth, Evans, Cavill and Affleck (in his BvS training montage) take their shirt off i wanna work out. Gets me pumped.

giphy.gif

entremet

Efron swung far too hard for low bodyfat. Let us not forget Matthew Fox's ridiculous transformation...

This just makes no sense lol.

Cage fighters never get that lean since it will be terrible for performance, even on drugs.

I remember reading about show ready body builders and the amount of fatigue they have due to the low BF%. Even on drugs, you will feel lightheaded and famished at that level of body fat due the havoc it wreaks on your endocrine system.

I'm always curious how I'd end up looking on one of those ridiculous routines. Y'know, assuming I'd actually have the willpower to follow through on it.

Kelsdesu

Mathew fox looking like that made sense for the character. Zac just looks plain exhausted. Trying to keep up with the Rock must suck.

Simplet

What's with the disturbing amount of posts from people that believe that "the bar has been raised" and that they promote "having a healthy physique"?

These types of body shape have absolutely zilch to do with being healthy, where have you ever seen an actual athlete with such a body? These actors' bodies are engineered from nothing to look good during five-minutes shirtless scenes, not to run marathons (some seriously look like they have trouble walking).

Matthew Fox was also playing a crazy serial killer in that role, so the transformation making him look insane was probably to the benefit of the character, even if the film was shat on by critics and didn't make any money.

Here's how Dan Stevens prepared for his shirtless scene in The Guest:

The film-makers scheduled that scene as late as possible because they wanted Stevens' body in "optimum condition." In preparation for that scene, Stevens shaved his chest and tanned his body so that all his muscle definition could be seen. In addition, Wingard said that to deepen the muscle definition even further, the trainers had Stevens do a trick where "he did not consume any food or water for a day, and then just before the shot, he drank a diet coke and did 100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups". This tightened up his muscles and made his veins stand out giving him the super-ripped appearance that the film-makers wanted. The shot was then subsequently used in all the trailers and publicity materials for the film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2980592/trivia

Women having impossible body standards is a major problem and shaming women who don't match up, but with men it's "hahaha look how insecure you are"?

Wtf GAF

I don't necessarily have a problem with the natural-ish fit looks, but all these treatments and such are not a good thing at all.

sirap

Mass isn't the problem, it's the ridiculously low levels of bodyfat and dehydration actors have to achieve to look super cut.

highrider

Banned
I don't have a problem with it, but it gets visually uninteresting. A gym body is a gym body. It would be nice to see more physiques that were resulting from different training paths.

Boem

This is what a real human strong guy looks like:

336.jpg

He's in great shape, and it actually looks like he achieved it by actually working his entire life. That didn't come out of a bottle, it didn't come from a weird hardcore Hollywood workout routine, and he'd beat the snot out of someone like Chris Pratt if it came down to it.

None of that modern vain nonsense. Just a healthy guy. And a badass. Guys going on real adventures and doing shit aren't hanging out in gyms 24/7. They're too busy being cool.

Doesn't it also take a toll on their bodies?
Chris Evans and Hemsworth always talk about how they dread having to get the marvel body back in time for shooting.

Fury451

Banned
Here's how Dan Stevens prepared for his shirtless scene in The Guest:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2980592/trivia

Yeah this is what I'm talking about. Literally impossible to look that cut all the time, but it's become some warped idea of what a healthy body is.

This is what a real human strong guy looks like:

336.jpg

He's in great shape, and it actually looks like he achieved it by actually working his entire life. That didn't come out of a bottle, it didn't come from a weird hardcore Hollywood workout routine, and he'd beat the snot out of someone like Chris Pratt if it came down to it.

None of that modern vain nonsense. Just a healthy guy. And a badass.

Ive seen many a people comment that a body like this is "nothing special". A natural, healthy in shape body is nothing special apparently.

Zac looks great.

He would look a lot LOT better if he actually upped his body fat a bit. He's clearly dehydrating the shit out of himself for these scenes which isn't super rare but he also has insanely low body fat on top of it. A little bit of softness (not much) actually helps you look fuller on your build and slightly more natural.

A lot of people have issues with Efrons build as he looks totally unnatural and it's throwing off the part of the brain that's used to how normal human bodies look

Top Bottom