• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Gaf fall in - what's your history with the system?

Zing said:
I'd have to say the opposite. Chrono Trigger has great pacing, an easy to understand story and script, and characters that grow with you. Final Fantasy III has the ever-changing party, random encounters, and is a lot longer.

I agree that Super Mario RPG is probably the best "my first RPG", but Chrono Trigger isn't far behind.

OK I will go through SMRPG first and then Chrono Trigger. The most I cont take is probably 20-25 hours with an RPG.

Linkhero1

CoachKevin said:
OK I will go through SMRPG first and then Chrono Trigger. The most I cont take is probably 20-25 hours with an RPG.
I'm not into RPGs and I really enjoyed SMRPG. I think the length is perfect for you then. Took me about 25 hours to finish.

Got it for my Birthday in '94 and it came with Donkey Kong Country.

This was when I still spent 90% of my time outside playing with my friends, so I only owned a few games and didn't really play that many.

Owned:
DKC
DKC2
Jurassic Park II: The Chaos Continues
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Rented:
Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Primal Rage
Spider-Man: Maximum Carnage
TMNT: Tournament Fighters

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Stumpokapow said:
Both are worth it at their current prices. Evermore is a very interesting game to play through once. It's got tons of character, and is really different than a lot of other RPGs. It's funny. It's brisk. There are some pretty big mechanical issues, and it is NOT Secret of Mana 2, but worth a buy and a playthrough.

Illusion of Gaia is not brisk; it's actually a pretty slow game. But besides that, it's excellent. Great looking. Emotional (HAMLET). Really cool locales, since the game features sort of twisted versions of real-world landmarks.

Very fun :)

I remember back in the day, lots of people hated Evermore, especially for not being Seiken Densetsu 3... and then in recent times, lots more people have come around on Evermore, and the game gets a ton of love. Didn't like the game much myself when it first came out (borrowed it from my brother's friend), and within the last year or so, I bought a boxed copy, and yeah, game still didn't do it for me.

Illusion of Gaia was pretty good, though the weakest of the trilogy IMO.

The thing with the SNES is I'm constantly discovering awesome games for it. Recently played through Goof Troop, and although very short, it's a blast, especially in 2 player co-op mode! SFC is also a gold-mine for obscure titles, unfortunately a lot of them are RPGs that require Japanese knowledge.

Side note: Has anybody ever played Brain Lord? I remember reading an EGM article on it and it sounded interesting back in the day... but never picked it up myself. Was from the 7th Saga team IIRC. Also anyone remember Paladin's Quest? Really bad game, one of the only RPGs that I owned from way back when that I never beat.

Kalnos

Banned
My relationship with the system? My favorite ever from my childhood, and the one system that I made the mistake of trading in a majority of my games for. I'm slowly rebuilding a small collection that's limited to what I view as 'good games' and my personal favorites/nostalgia games.

Right now I'm trying to pick up Megaman X3 and Harvest Moon at reasonable prices. Some of the only mildly expensive games that I don't own yet.

chemicals

I was a late adapter for SNES because of the Genesis being such a huge force with my friends... by the time I got a SNES it came with Mario Paint and Mario All Stars (the one without World in it).

I loved it, truly... Mario World is still my favorite Mario game of all time - Zelda ALTTP is my favorite Zelda - Final Fantasy 4 (called 2 here in the US) is my favorite FF. I could go on... Earthbound, Super Metroid, Mario RPG, the DKC franchise.... truly amazing.

izakq

I remember I was a senior in high school at the time and wanted to get it, but didn't have enough cash. I decided to sell my NES and games (to which I regretted later) at a couple of stores that bought used games before Gamestop existed. Managed to get enough money and bought the SNES with SMW pack-in along with Super Ghouls'N'Ghosts. Plugged it in, fired it up and started With SGNG. Right before Stage 1-2, I got freaked out when the water would rise up and come crashing down and washed me away on the spot. F'n hard. Took a break with SMW. Six hours straight I played and it's already midnight. Holy crap, better get some sleep, cause tomorrow is Sunday and want to get all rested up for more game time.

Been making my way through Super Mario World the last few days... I am blown away by how many of the secret exits I still remember from 20 years ago. Hands down the best Super Mario Brothers game ever.

CoachKevin said:
Been making my way through Super Mario World the last few days... I am blown away by how many of the secret exits I still remember from 20 years ago.

That's the one thing I find the most interesting about playing older games which I don't notice about newer ones. I just bought Mega Man 4 off the PSN and beat it in like 40 mins like I had just played it last week. I haven't touched the game since my NES was hooked up 20 years ago.

I don't know if it's me that changed or just the way that games have, but if I come back to a newer game after say 6 months I find I'm totally lost for a good 15 minutes.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyone played Mystic Ark (Super Famicom)? It's dirt cheap on eBay, there's a 100% translation patch, and the music I've heard on Youtube sounds great.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Such an awesome system. Definitely my favourite console along with 360. Here are my memories.

Late 1990
Saw a Super Famicom demo by a Nintendo rep in a giant 32" TV, playing Super Mario World. Was blown away by the foggy forest and the echo in the caverns.

Late 1991
Friend imported a US Super NES. Loved the futuristic design. He got Super Mario World, Final Fight, Gradius III and Populous, lucky bastard. We played the shit out of all of them. I rember being awed by the computer-like sim gameplay in Populous.

Christmas 1991
My friend got Sim City and Mario Paint. Sim City was amazing, still remember the chill winter music, the cherry blossom and Dr Wright.

April 1992
I got an Euro Super NES early from France, SCART only, along with Super Mario World.

Summer 1992
Got F-Zero. Played it all summer, until my friend lend be Zelda III. I remember the majestic palace, the rain fall, the corridors vividly.

Fall 1992
Interiewed for a job at Nintendo Hotline. They made me play UN Squadron and Super Probotector to prove my skills. I sucked in both but talked myself the join. Got Castlevania IV from UK and loved the gardens and the scaryness.

Christmas 1992
Mario Kart and Street Fighter 2. Relentless matches in both. Amazed by the system, again - an arcade at home.

Spring 1993
Played tons of Actraiser. Such an amazing game, superb music. Also got Top Gear, again superb music and memorable tracks like Black Forest

Summer 1993
The entire summer was all about Starwing and Super FX graphics. Truly a new kind of an experience.

Fall 1993
The big game was Super Mario All-Stars. Seeing that blocky castle transformed into a rounded house blew my mind, and I finally got to play Super Mario 2 JP. Lots of time spent also on Soulblazer and Another World - the former being pure fun, and the latter an incredible art film, almost like Ico today.

Winter 1994
A lot of time spent with Rock'N'Roll Racing, Zombies Ate My Neighbours, Goof Troop and Lost Vikings - my first touch to Blizzard gaming goodness.

Spring 1994
Super Metroid arrived. Got chills already from the opening movie. The game was spectacular. As summer arrived we got Illusion of Time and Super Street Fighter II EEPROMs. The former was one of the greatest adventures I had ever played.

Fall 1994
This was truly the year of Super NES. The darkening days brought us Secret of Mana, a really adorable adventure, and my most anticipated game ever, Stunt Race FX. Also, Super Punch Out arrived, one of my absolute Super NES favourites.

Christmas 1994
Nintendo hit it out of the park with Donkey Kong Country. We got it early, and I played it nonstop for days. Only matches in the sublime NHL'94 could break us away from it - we played hundreds of matches.

Spring 1995
Super NES was gearing for a great RPG year. We got early copies of Super Mario RPG, which looked really next generation, as well as Earthbound, which turned out to be a charming little gem, one of my top games ever. Also, Unirally. One of the most creative, suprising games I had seen - also gorgeous and pure fun.

Fall 1995
Out of nowhere, a fax from NCL - "new Super Mario World: Yossy Island, Super FX2 chip game release in two months". Everyone was stunned, nobody expected it. Turned out it wasn't DKC style graphically like we thought, but cartoony. Nevertheless, the game was brilliant.

Chrismas 1995
It was clear Super NES started to wind down as Star Fox 2, FX Fighter and Comanche all got axed - they were supposed to be the Christmas trio. Instead, digitized characters were all the rage in the amazing looking Killer Instinct, Ultimate Mortal Kombat and Batman Forever, none of which was a great game. Donkey Kong Country 2 provided a bit of fun, but it was mostly the same again. Thus, most of our working time was spent in endless head-to-head matches in Tetris Attack and Kirby's Avalanche / Kirby's Ghost Trap.

Spring 1996
Super NES was pretty much done. While waiting for the delayed N64 launch we discoved still some obscure forgotten gems like Hagane, Pop'N'Twinbee, Plok, Super Parodius, Castlevania Dracula X and the totally fantastic Kirby's Dream Course.

June 1996
We got our N64 and the Super NES era was officially over.

Wow, writing thus made me realize that not only was Super NES the most amazing console ever, it had the most diverse library of different types of games.

Also, it makes me miss the days of working at Nintendo Hotline, where there was always someone to play with.

oatmeal

Banned
September 1991 my parents rented it for my brother and I along with SMW. We played the shit out of it.

Then for Christmas, they got us a 13" TV for our bedroom with a SNES. When we came down on Christmas morning, the little TV was sitting on the couch with the SMW loop playing.

Amazing.

(EDIT)

ALTTP was a game that, for some reason, my dad rented for us. We played through the opening sequence, and we though that we had beaten it. But then the whole game opens up and it was mind-blowing.

For some reason, though, my dad let us keep it and just said "we'll pay the late fees and then re-rent tomorrow" so we had a chance to get really far. And then we got it for Christmas.

I fully blame this thread and GiantBomb's day long SNES video stream to purchasing over 25 SNES games in the last week. Trying to keep it limited to the best of the best.

100_0493.jpg

100_0496.jpg

Next week I have Super Mario RPG, Chrono trigger, SM: All Stars, Super Smash TV, Tetris 7 Dr. mario, and a few others. Anything major I am missing?

Linkhero1

CoachKevin said:
I fully blame this thread and GiantBomb's day long SNES video stream to purchasing over 25 SNES games in the last week. Trying to keep it limited to the best of the best.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/xbox3602/100_0493.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/xbox3602/100_0496.jpg[IMG]

Next week I have Super Mario RPG, Chrono trigger, SM: All Stars, Super Smash TV, Tetris 7 Dr. mario, and a few others. Anything major I am missing?[/QUOTE]
Awesome pickups. I have a few SNES goodies coming in the next week or so that I'll post here. How much did you get Chrono Trigger for? I've always been meaning to get a copy of that for a while. Also you need to get DKC2.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Updated my giant post above with some more forgotten memories - Unirally, Rock'N'Roll Racing, Castlevania Dracula X... Man, Super NES was such an awesome, diverse, wonderful console. And there never was a dry period - it was just season after season after season of wonderful, different new games.

mxgt

Banned
SNES was my first ever venture in video games. Got it at christmas '93 with Super Mario World

ax16P.jpg

What a great day that was. Still my favourite console of all time, so many memories.

Nyx

I had one and loved it.

Played tons of Mario Kart, SMW, MK, SF, and also games like Secret of Mana.

Later in the generation I got a copy box for it and played early FF games.
Remember that I loved to change all the chars names to names of friends, and having a laugh at the situations everyone got in.

Definitely one of the best consoles ever, so many good games.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It's crazy to think that the time from seeing the first live Super Famicom to Super NES winding down completely to make room for N64 is shorter than what Xbox 360 has now been around.

Then again, from 11 years old to 17 years old is more fundamental than from 26 to 32 years.

This might be a dumb question for this thread, but is Earthbound worth $100? Is it really that good?

I am going to start my SNES RPG playing with Super Mario RPG, then Chrono Trigger, then maybe FF3. Then Earthbound??

Sapiens

My love for the SNES revolves around SMW, Zelda, YI and Super Metroid.

I don't care for the shitty arcade ports and boring JRPGS.

Jockel

CoachKevin said:
This might be a dumb question for this thread, but is Earthbound worth $100? Is it really that good?
Well, the cheapest copy on German eBay is 120€ (That's 170$) buy it now, to put things into perspective.
So for me, 100$ is acceptable.
I didn't regret buying it for the 80$ I payed.
It's certainly a different kind of RPG.
If you don't like it, just sell it again.

Kalnos

Banned
CoachKevin said:

I am going to start my SNES RPG playing with Super Mario RPG, then Chrono Trigger, then maybe FF3. Then Earthbound??

It's dated for sure but it has a strong argument to be considered the best RPG on the system. The game isn't rare but it's instead a cult classic, thus the $100 tag. If you're a collector I would say it's well worth it but otherwise I suggest emulation and a purchase on VC if it's ever released.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
After years of pruning, here's what's left of my SNES collection:

jHW2IyUnQpXgq.png

Not pictured: Suepr Mario RPG, Zelda: ALTTP, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario World.

Actraiser, Actraiser 2, Aerobiz Supersonic, Big Sky Trooper, Cacoma Knight in Bizyland, Captain Commando, Captain Novolin, Chrono Trigger, Clue, Darius Twin, Dino City, DKC, DKC2, DKC3, Doom, Drakkhen, Earthbound, FFII, FFIII, FFMQ, F-Zero, Goof Troop, Gradius III, Hit the Ice, Joe and Mac, Killer Instinct, Kirby's Avalanche, Knights of the Round, Krusty's Super Fun House, Lagoon, Lord of the Rings, Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse, Mario Paint, Mario's Time Machine, Math Blaster, Mega Man X, Monopoly, Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II, Pac-Man 2 The Awesome Adventures, Phantom 2040, Pilotwings, Q-Bert 3, Rex Ronan Experimental Surgeon, Robotrek, Secret of Evermore, Shaq Fu, Sim City, Sim Earth, Sky Blazer, SOS, Spanky's Quest, StarFox, Star Trek SF Academy, Street Fighter II, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario All-Stars, Super Metroid, Super R-Type, Tiny Toon Adventures Buster Busts Loose, Thomas the Tank Engine, Uniracers, Widget.

You can see on the NES shelf below I have a SNES Game Genie and Yoshi's Island turned sideways. Super Famicom stack is: Marvelous, Goemon, FF4, FF5, FF6, Seiken Densetsu 3, Mario and Wario.

I'm still missing a few biggies; EVO, Illusion of Gaia (I actually thought I owned a copy before I took this picture), Soul Blazer, Secret of Mana, Terranigma, Bahamut Lagoon, Live a Live, Violinist of Hamelin, Spike McFang, Turtles IV (traded it for a PS1 game a decade ago D'OH!), Go Go Ackman, and a few others. I'm not much on sports and I've basically pruned almost every sports game I owned.

eXistor

I used to play it mostly at a friends' house, they tended to have Nintendo stuff and we'd have Sega stuff and we'd lend them out all the time. Later my dad bought me one and a game (Equinox) and after that I started collecting my own snes games. Fairly basic story I guess. I still own that same system and it's still hooked up and gets played regularly. In fact, it and other older consoles are getting their own special corner in my gaming room soon, I'll post pics of that in the gaming-setup thread when it's done.

randomkid

No Tetris Attack or Kirby Super Star, Stump? Also assuming you've got Earthworm Jim and Mickey Mania on other systems.

And if you're talking Super Famicom you've opened the floodgates. I'll just highlight Rudra's Treasure and the Dragon Quests based on your other listed games.

I still need to get myself Skyblazer. Saw it in some other thread and looks so cool.

Kalnos

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I'm still missing a few biggies; EVO, Illusion of Gaia (I actually thought I owned a copy before I took this picture), Soul Blazer, Secret of Mana, Terranigma, Bahamut Lagoon, Live a Live, Violinist of Hamelin, Spike McFang, Turtles IV (traded it for a PS1 game a decade ago D'OH!), Go Go Ackman, and a few others. I'm not much on sports and I've basically pruned almost every sports game I owned.

Just picked this up for about $50 on Ebay, it's pretty ambitious for an SNES game. Also, no Megaman 7, X2, and X3? :<

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The unidentified cart was Cacoma Knight in Bizyland, which is a pretty great game but apparently has poop spine art!

randomkid said:
No Tetris Attack or Kirby Super Star, Stump? Also assuming you've got Earthworm Jim and Mickey Mania on other systems.
Never been a Panel de Pon fan *hides*. I've got 125 DS games and I don't have PDP there either. KSS I own on DS, but it's a pretty crappy port so I'll probably buy it on SNES some day. Yes and yes.

And if you're talking Super Famicom you've opened the floodgates. I'll just highlight Rudra's Treasure and the Dragon Quests based on your other listed games.
Probably won't end up picking up any of the DQs. I own IV and V on DS and will eventually pick up VI, I own DW1 on NES. So really it's just 2/3 that I'd need to snag on SFC.

But yeah the Super Famicom stuff is mostly new. I've had M&W for a long time, but never really bought much else for a few years. so I've got a lot of omissions there. I do eventually hope to have a relatively complete set of the Square RPGs, so that would include Rudra.

randomkid said:
I still need to get myself Skyblazer. Saw it in some other thread and looks so cool.
Skyblazer is cool. It feels a lot like Sony Imagesoft's "Hook", which is by the same original Japanese developer. Another game I should pick up at some point, I remember renting it often as a kid.

Kalnos said:
Also, no Megaman 7, X2, and X3? :<
I own the two PS2 collections and don't like any of those three games enough to want to double back and get the SNES versions. I may at some point pick up Rockman & Forte. I'm not actually a huge Mega Man fan. X, though, special place in my heart for it :)

randomkid

Stumpokapow said:
Never been a Panel de Pon fan *hides*.
Haha you freaking better hide! Shameful. Well, there's also Tetris 2, which was kind of an interesting little curiosity.
I do eventually hope to have a relatively complete set of the Square RPGs, so that would include Rudra.
Reading Gamefan/EGM coverage of what we were missing back in the day was torturous. These games always occupied this kind of vaunted position in my mind.

Romancing SaGa
Final Fantasy V
Hanjuku Hero: Aa, Sekaiyo Hanjukunare...!
Romancing SaGa 2
Live A Live
Front Mission
Seiken Densetsu 3
Romancing SaGa 3
Bahamut Lagoon
Treasure of the Rudras
Treasure Hunter G

I'm still pining to this day. And those are all just from a single company. Man do I love the Super Nintendo.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
randomkid said:
Reading Gamefan/EGM coverage of what we were missing back in the day was torturous. These games always occupied this kind of vaunted position in my mind.

Romancing SaGa
Final Fantasy V
Hanjuku Hero: Aa, Sekaiyo Hanjukunare...!
Romancing SaGa 2
Live A Live
Front Mission
Seiken Densetsu 3
Romancing SaGa 3
Bahamut Lagoon
Treasure of the Rudras
Treasure Hunter G

I'm still pining to this day. And those are all just from a single company. Man do I love the Super Nintendo.

The good news is, virtually all of the SFC games by Square are pretty cheap to buy today and many of them are translated!

randomkid

Stumpokapow said:
The good news is, virtually all of the SFC games by Square are pretty cheap to buy today and many of them are translated!

I know, I know, I think I had this traumatic experience watching someone play Chrono Trigger on the computer where the music and graphics were all horribly wrong and so I've been afraid of emulation ever since. I would need to make sure everything was pitch perfect but I'm too inept to figure things out.

Edit: Also why does no one in the fan translation community care about any of the Hanjuku Hero games dammit.

Jockel

randomkid said:
I know, I know, I think I had this traumatic experience watching someone play Chrono Trigger on the computer where the music and graphics were all horribly wrong and so I've been afraid of emulation ever since. I would need to make sure everything was pitch perfect but I'm too inept to figure things out.
Try bsnes. It's the bees knees (pun intended).
It's an emulator that focuses on accuracy and is the best SNES emulator by far.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
randomkid said:

There are at least two options for playing translated SNES games on your actual SNES.

One is to buy reproduction carts. This basically involves someone buying blank EEPROM units, burning the ROM to them, and substituting them onto a matching board. These are a bit of a pain in the ass, especially covering yourself ethically, because you'd have to buy an SFC version and then rebuy the reproduction cart. Also, the reproduction carts are typically $50 or so a pop. Most of the major SFC RPGs that have fan translations are available for purchase from GameReproductions.com. I haven't personally ordered from them but they're very popular at collector sites like DigitPress.

Another option which might be easier, but has a big upfront cost, would be to buy a SNES PowerPak. This is a SNES cart that has a memory card slot. You copy downloaded or ripped ROM files onto the cart. The cart plays in a regular SNES and supports most but not all games. It will play back 100% accurately on the SNES, there are no known bugs. It's about $150. It is not any kind of emulation, everything is running natively on the SNES.

So for translated games, you would either download or rip the ROM from your original legal cart, download a translation patch, and patch the ROM.
http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?products_id=84

I wish I had the money for a PowerPak, actually, then I wouldn't need to take games off the shelf! Hahaha.

randomkid

Haha thanks Stump! Pretty pricy, but I guess you gotta pay if you want things to look and sound right. Incidentally, I'm currently trying to find a laptop that can emulate Dragon Quest V PS2 in the $500 range (I'm so very dumb when it comes to this stuff), so maybe I can bite the bullet and try out BSNES on it if I locate something.

teiresias

OMG, that SNES PowerPak is both awesome in concept and ghetto-looking in design all at once!! Haha. Kind of cool though and a good way to get translated versions of imported games into an actual console.

I'm taking my SNES back to my place this week and going to try running S-Video to my Kuro and decide whether I prefer playing with the actual console or using BSNES to play my games. Basically, I just need to see how my Kuro scales the native signal. I think it's best to bypass my AV Receiver for this since it would need to convert the S-Video to HDMI and do the scaling, and I think my Kuro has a better scaler than my AV Receiver.

Also, does anyone know the best way to play Terranigma on a US SNES, since it didn't get a US release?

Linkhero1

Stumpokapow said:
After years of pruning, here's what's left of my SNES collection:

http://k.minus.com/jHW2IyUnQpXgq.png[img]

You can see on the NES shelf below I have a SNES Game Genie and Yoshi's Island turned sideways. Super Famicom stack is: Marvelous, Goemon, FF4, FF5, FF6, Seiken Densetsu 3, Mario and Wario.

I'm still missing a few biggies; EVO, Illusion of Gaia (I actually thought I owned a copy before I took this picture), Soul Blazer, Secret of Mana, Terranigma, Bahamut Lagoon, Live a Live, Violinist of Hamelin, Spike McFang, Turtles IV (traded it for a PS1 game a decade ago D'OH!), Go Go Ackman, and a few others. I'm not much on sports and I've basically pruned almost every sports game I owned.[/QUOTE]
Nice Collection! No Mega Man X2 or X3?

It's a damn good thing I'm flat broke or this thread would be the death of me.

I had forgotten until looking at all these photos that older games used to have the small slot where the little plastic piece would lock the cartridge in when you turned on the power, but the later cartridges all had it tapered.

I always assumed this was so the cartridge would force the system off if it got pulled out forcibly, or to prevent someone breaking the locking piece if they just yanked the cartridge out while the system was on. I never found out for sure.

Linkhero1

Conrad Link said:
I've been tempted for so long to get into buying reproduction carts, they're sooooo cool.

I really want a BS Zelda one. ;(
I was going to buy the BS F-Zero 2 one. I wish they were cheaper

Been playing through Super Mario RPG and LOVING IT. Such a great game for a casual RPG fan (really never played any rpgs past SNES).

Linkhero1 said:
Some new pickups thanks to this thread.

Pl08P.jpg

Just watched a youtube video of Sparkster (after figuring out what the game in the picture was). Amazing music, I heard the stage 1 song on retronaughts and couldn't figure out what game it was from.

Top Bottom