• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Seen Recently |OT| October 2017

swoon

I would love for you to give me 3 films. Is it weird that I am specifically picking you?

tenor.gif

sounds like a plan. my ICM is the most up-to-date. I'll peer around your lists and have something tmrw

I don't have any online tracking sites, so you can't cull my tastes, but I'm pretty much open to anything. I'm also happy to give recommendations.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
A Quiet Passion: 7/10. This starts out incredibly irritating, like god who talks like this shut up. But then I nearly cried. So idk, 7.
Koyaasfniasdsqasftasti: 8/10. Holy shit. What are we doing with ourselves. Also though I think he's perfect for this, does anyone else think Phillip Glass is like the worst composer ever? Four note arpeggio for 36 minutes is not a composition, fuck off.

big ander

I don't have any online tracking sites, so you can't cull my tastes, but I'm pretty much open to anything. I'm also happy to give recommendations.
I'd go three for three with you. My sites are in the op. Do you have any like, specific blind spots I should aim for? Or all wild cards
Koyaasfniasdsqasftasti: 8/10. Holy shit. What are we doing with ourselves. Also though I think he's perfect for this, does anyone else think Phillip Glass is like the worst composer ever? Four note arpeggio for 36 minutes is not a composition, fuck off.
Not a Steve Reich fan either I take it
Glass's score for Candyman is amazing. I haven't even ever rewatched that movie but I listen to the score every so often.

Borgnine

So this game is all about trolling swoon and making him watch vile shit he would never touch right? I'm not seeing a lot of Katherine Heigl in his log, just putting that out there.

I'd go three for three with you. My sites are in the op. Do you have any like, specific blind spots I should aim for? Or all wild cards

Yeah I'm really open to anything. I've watched my fair share of foreign films lately, so maybe some golden age Hollywood movie would be rad, but I'm cool with whatever.

So this game is all about trolling swoon and making him watch vile shit he would never touch right? I'm not seeing a lot of Katherine Heigl in his log, just putting that out there.

That’s how I interpret this game as, yes. So obviously I’m in (next month).

The Mill and the Cross (4/10) - I spent the entire time trying to figure out if I even liked or hated the aesthetics of this thing, and in the end I guess I kinda hated everything. There are some shots that actually look pretty cool with the painted backgrounds, but then just as many shots are flat and ugly with obvious green screen effects, bad compositing, or what have you. It's a weird film. In the end, it felt like little more than a stub Wikipedia summary. There's a scene where Bruegel sits on a rock and explains the symbolism in his painting, as if he's lecturing to first year high school students. We understand the political context because Jonghelinck stands in a room and explains it in one sentence. The film ends with a tracking shot moving away from the painting itself, where it hangs in Vienna, as if the camera had been standing there the whole time contemplating the painting. It's shockingly literal, and a poor substitute for just staring at the painting for 90 minutes yourself. I have no idea what I was supposed to take away from this. Charlotte Rampling is the only part of the movie I unequivocally admired.

Easily my least favorite "movie that analyzes a painting" so far. Give me the whimsical interrogation of Tim's Vermeer or the cinematic labyrinth of The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting. Hell, give me The Da Vinci Code.

Icolin

Banned
Not a Steve Reich fan either I take it
Glass's score for Candyman is amazing. I haven't even ever rewatched that movie but I listen to the score every so often.

Glass also did some good stuff in Kundun, The Hours, and The Truman Show. Koyaanisqatsi is the GOAT though.

I love Philip Glass' music. It's super repetitive, but that repetitive nature is what I like about his music; it puts me in a trance. I understand why some people don't like it though.

kevin1025

Banned
Halloween 3: Season of the Witch

Short review: No.

Table 19

Anna Kendrick makes me watch some mediocre things, but she's always good in them. The writing doesn't really stand up to the pretty good premise, of the outcast table at a wedding banding together. It falls into the typical cliches, and really wants to invest us in massive relationship dramas. And everyone has an issue that we must resolve. But it also has one of the most outstanding casts for a comedy in a long time; it's just unfortunate they don't have much to play around with.

Landline

I loved this one. The humor hit me just right, the emotion hit me just right, and Jenny Slate, Abby Quinn, John Turturro, and Edie Falco hit me just right. It's a wonderful New York film about a family that's starting to bubble over with potential cheating, and the character work is fantastic as it goes through it all. The family dynamic was just perfect, and led to some fun stuff. I liked Obvious Child, but this one was much, much better for me.

For some ultimate tonal whiplash, got In The Mouth of Madness and Kurosawa's High and Low slated for movies to watch today

I didn't know that Kurosawa did noir. I had signed up for Filmstruck so I could see Cure for the 31 Days of Horror, but now I'm also definitely checking out Stray Dog as well

C4Lukins

New stuff I watched in October

The Beguiled 2017: 5
Long Shot: 7
Gerald's Game: 7
Top of the Lake China Girl: 8
Mother!: 6

I think that is all I have for October so far.

kevin1025

Banned
New stuff I watched in October

The Beguiled 2017: 5
Long Shot: 7
Gerald's Game: 7
Top of the Lake China Girl: 8
Mother!: 6

I think that is all I have this month

I think that is all I have for October so far.

Top of the Lake: China Girl is some good stuff!

Divius

The recommend 3 movies thing sounds interesting and I'll probably participate, but on the other hand I have mountains of current backlog already..Oh well, 3 more can't hurt!

For some ultimate tonal whiplash, got In The Mouth of Madness and Kurosawa's High and Low slated for movies to watch today

I didn't know that Kurosawa did noir. I had signed up for Filmstruck so I could see Cure for the 31 Days of Horror, but now I'm also definitely checking out Stray Dog as well

High and Low is my favorite Kurosawa film ever, you're in for a treat!

Demmi

Neo Member
Halloween 3: Season of the Witch

Short review: No.

Ha ha, yeah.

People say that it was betrayed by it's title, but I honestly don't think anyone would still be talking about it if it wasn't called Halloween.

It's a fun concept and a few creepy images wrapped in a mediocre 80s horror movie.

Blader

The Bad Sleep Well is another great Kurosawa noir, defintiely recommend that too.

shaneo632

Just saw The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) - 7.6/10. Holy shit what a crazy film. If you dug Dogtooth and The Lobster you won't be disappointed. Colin Farrell gives a terrific performance.

Demmi

Neo Member
Blade Runner 2049

Too many 'big' films now feel like highlight reels of a longer story. Too many 2-3 minute scenes that boil down to a bunch of exposition with some one liners thrown in. Thankfully, this is different. This is from a director that truly cares about the signicance of a scene. He fleshes out each moment and makes it matter.

Immersive in a way I'm not used to in big budgeted fare.

8/10

Nocturnal Animals

Amy Adams reads a really good book.

7/10

The Devil's Advocate

Only works if you're really into Al Pacino chewing scenery. Turns out I'm not.

5/10

The Neon Demon

Might be both the most mature and immature film I've seen from Refn. He has so much more control here than he did with Bronson or even Drive, but there's an overriding shallowness to the whole thing (beyond the obvious). It's broad to fault, but I really did enjoy the craft.

6.5/10

John Wick 2

A lot of fun for the first two thirds, but kind of plateaus after that. They're going to need to change up the action a bit if they're going for a third.

7/10

UrbanRats

War for the Planet of the Apes - These monkey have the best Cgi effects i've ever seen, goddamn.
This trilogy was just lovely, start to finish, and very unexpected, to turn out as well as it did.
This i was expecting to be full re-thread of the second movie, given the title, but it did go some new places, actually, while continuing up that story.
I really don't see how they can continue this franchise in a compelling way from here, though.

Blade Runner 2049
- Beautiful movie, i liked it better than the original.
I'm a sucker for those synth drones, i admit, and beaten puppy Gosling worked very well within the plot, but in general it just kept me thinking for longer after it was done, than the first one.
The only thing i didn't really like, was the Jared Leto guy, his dialogue seemed cut out of the Architect from that one Matrix movie, also maybe tone down the spelling-out-of-what-is-going-on, i'm not that much of a moron.
TBH after having seen the first one the other day, i was sort of dreading going to see this one, but i'm glad i did.

A little aside on the IMAX thing, i melted my ass in the car to see this in the (allegedly) best cinema in the country (they claim it's the biggest IMAX screen in Europe, but i didn't ask for receipts), so 50% of me seeing this, was just to see what this IMAX fuss was all about.

The screen was indeed massive, unfortunately this meant that, with the dumb aspect ratio, Gosling's face seemed sculpted on Easter Island.

Also, all IMAX screenings were in 3D, which meant having to watch this big ass screen, through these late-night-book-reading slits of glass.

Finally, the sound definitely had an impact, they mentioned "Laser technology precision", but after my ear drums erupted on the first Justice League trailer, i really couldn't attest.
No really, i think the sound was transferred more through my seats' vibrations, that my ear drums'.

3D aside though, this certainly beats the dusty, badly stretched frame and cracking audio i get at my local cinema.

shaneo632

Let the Sunshine In (2017) - 5.3/10. Juliette Binoche is typically compelling but this one alternated between intriguing and boring quite a bit. The final 15 minutes are really fucking weird with a random cameo from
Gerard Depardieu
. Not for me.

The Florida Project (2017) - 8.3/10 - Just about nudges out The Shape of Water for my favourite film of LFF so far. Sean Baker has delivered a devastating, hilarious and trenchant examination of American poverty with some of the best child performances you'll ever see. Willem Dafoe is also incredible in it. Could go up to a 9/10 on a second viewing. Could be this year's indie awards darling, or could just as easily do nothing depending on marketing.

kevin1025

Banned
War for the Planet of the Apes - These monkey have the best Cgi effects i've ever seen, goddamn.
This trilogy was just lovely, start to finish, and very unexpected, to turn out as well as it did.
This i was expecting to be full re-thread of the second movie, given the title, but it did go some new places, actually, while continuing up that story.
I really don't see how they can continue this franchise in a compelling way from here, though.

Still my number one favorite of this year, I loved everything about it.

LFF #4

Fighting a psychological war, sir, fighting the "unknown".
DL4_VhjXUAAB4IW.jpg

Foxtrot (dir. Samuel Maoz) continues the trend of recent Israeli films being an interesting mix of absurdism, surrealism, and modern Israeli anxiety especially in relation to the military (Waltz with Bashir, Self-Made, Zero Motivation). The film is very structured and distinct in each act: the first act is from a dad's point-of-view (Lior Ashkenazi who is quietly intense), the second act is about the son at a surreal roadblock which featueres a graphic novel style animated sequence, and the third act is from the mother's POV (Sarah Adler who was also in Self-Made). Each act has its own style of cinematography too, from detached and top-down composition to wide shots depicting the absurdism of a camel being allowed to cross a roadblock to then more loose handheld for the mother. So many films are about grief but they're not usually this stylish and abrasive. There's plenty of allegories to be read about what each element says about Israeli culture like the foxtrot dance where you end up in the same spot, the camel, the bulldozer and the car, or the tilting container of the soldiers, but it mostly seems to be about repression (one telling line an Israeli soldier makes to the dad about the funeral "You can cry too, of course, but we are men"). One of my favourite shots is how both the father and mother embrace with their wounded hands on top of each other, the dad through self-harm by burning his hand in hot water and the mother through cutting her hand while cooking. That shared pain is how they connect. It's a great and moving film, one of the best I've seen this year.

Ha ha, yeah.

People say that it was betrayed by it's title, but I honestly don't think anyone would still be talking about it if it wasn't called Halloween.

It's a fun concept and a few creepy images wrapped in a mediocre 80s horror movie.

That the one with the creepy pumpkin mask?

Remember being 14 or 15 and was really enjoying the Halloween movies then I saw 3 and was like, wtf?

🎃

Just watched Beguiled I’ll give it a 5.

Borgnine

so 50% of me seeing this, was just to see what this IMAX fuss was all about.

So that's why you drove so far. IMAX is such trash, I'll never understand the appeal. The screen is one thing but they don't know how to do sound properly so it inevitably becomes an uncomfortable experience. It's really too bad, this modern day Cinemascope is the only thing that might pull people away from their TV sets, but they botched it.

Glad you liked the movie though!

I don't remember anyone saying Blade Runner was worth seeing for the IMAX. It wasn't even shot on IMAX, was it and the director said it was best seen in 2D in normal size?

Raw is so weird, because I have no idea what I expected from it. I had in mind some sort of disgusting, violent horror film, along the lines of Martyrs? Instead I got a film that kinda made me feel sick, made me laugh, made me feel sick again, made me really goddamn tense at times, and was just fantastic.

Great acting, magnificent music and sound effect, cinematography was near flawless, and it all just looked amazing, going between different visual styles and locations with such ease. The story and film has an odd thing going on where as it gets weirder and more gory, it gets less tense, but it so completely works, and I love it. I must confess the big themes I've seen other people talking about went right over my head, but I absolutely adored Raw and would highly recommend it.

kevin1025

Banned
Kung Fu Yoga

I had a few drinks last night and fired up Netflix. I saw this title and the image of CG Dynasty Warriors looking dudes fighting elephants, and knew I found greatness. The first few minutes are mindbending in bad CG action, and I don't mean action with CG in it, I mean everything is CG, including the characters. And then it cuts to live action where JACKIE CHAN out of nowhere is a professor that gets swept up in an ancient treasure thought lost that is part of Chinese and Indian myth. The movie comes off as a co-production deal between both countries more than a great idea, ripping off Indiana Jones and having some neat but already seen Jackie Chan action. But it also has one of the most ridiculous scenes I've seen in a while, where the baddies raid an auction and steal the maguffin, and Jackie Chan steals a car to chase them and... there's a CG lion in the backseat. So he's chasing them while dealing with a lion. I kind of loved that part.

But yeah, the movie is harmless enough, I suppose. I wouldn't call it good, though. Just super weird to find out after that the director is the director of Police Story 3 and 4, and Rumble in the Bronx. The movie is almost like a take on Hollywood blockbusters, or how that side of the world views them. It was a successful totally blind watch, though, I may do that more often.

LFF #5

The pure always act from love
The damned always act from love

DLoBGQdXUAErmT4.jpg

Good Time (dir. Safdie brothers) is a great neorealist crime drama that is an assault on the senses. Marrying Michael Mann's ground-level crime sensibilities to the self-destruction spiral of Requiem Of A Dream makes for an intense and uncomfortable experience. Much like the directors' previous Heaven Knows What, this is a very empathic film about people on the social margins but here it's also a realistic take on crime genre conventions. I wouldn't be surprised if Robert Pattinson got Oscar buzz from this, he's almost unrecognisable and totally transformed into his character. If mother!'s cinematography wasn't oppressive enough, this film goes above and beyond on intense close-ups and only ever pulling out for crucial and gorgeous aerial shots. The neon-drenched visuals are gorgeous, supported by Oneohtrix Point Never's abrasive and beautiful score. While Robert Pattinson's Connie is the vehicle for this brother duo to barely make it out from situation to situation in this midnight run, Benny Safdie's Nick is the emotional core. It's no surprise the film starts and ends with a close-up of his battered and pained face. Jennifer Jason Leigh and Barkhad Abdi round out the cast with good performances. Nick with his mental handicap and being abused and exploited for most of his life makes him innocent which makes for a gut-wrenching finale
as a zoom match cut from Robert Pattinson's to Benny Safdie's face
backed by Oneohtrix Point Never's "The Pure and the Damned" sung by Iggy Pop that just drove me to tears. Imagining myself in that socioeconomic situation and resorting to crime, going down this path to fulfil a dream of a good life just hit me. The true villain
here is Connie, destroying everyone's lives he touches
. Everyone should go see this. One of the best films of a very strong year. The last time a crime film made me cry like that was Heat.

Beauty and the Beast (2017): I love the original. It's my second-favorite Disney Animated Canon movie (after Aladdin). This movie is visually nice, like during the Be Our Guest sequence, and the castle is always nice to look at. I do like how the movie explains why everyone forgets about the castle a few miles down the road, though it doesn't explain how they suddenly know where the castle is, especially since Maurice got Gaston lost the first time. Speaking of, Gaston doesn't just toss Maurice out in the snow when Maurice comes to tell him of the castle in the first place.

On the downside, I prefer the original casting. There are two new songs that don't need to be here. There's a sequence where Belle finds out about her mother that doesn't need to be here.

It's a good movie, but not as good as the original.

UrbanRats

So that's why you drove so far. IMAX is such trash, I'll never understand the appeal. The screen is one thing but they don't know how to do sound properly so it inevitably becomes an uncomfortable experience. It's really too bad, this modern day Cinemascope is the only thing that might pull people away from their TV sets, but they botched it.

Glad you liked the movie though!
I'm gonna have to guess you build a resistance to that audio (i.e.: you lose your hearing) because some people go every week, to that torture room.
I don't want to trash on it too much, because the massive screen was cool and the picture quality was really clear and vivid, in that sense it was indeed the most beautiful screen i had seen at a cinema.

I just wish it didn't have that counter intuitive aspect ratio, it was 2D, and they didn't feel the need to numb you with shock waves.

Harrison Ford threw punches that sounded out of Riki-Oh.

I don't remember anyone saying Blade Runner was worth seeing for the IMAX. It wasn't even shot on IMAX, was it and the director said it was best seen in 2D in normal size?

My idea was, since local cinemas have such shitty quality control, i figured the newly built (this whole multiplex was built this year) taunting state of the art IMAX shenanigans, would've been more careful about offering a decent experience in general, having to show off and all.
Which was correct in theory, just some things of this IMAX thing, go too far in the opposite direction.

But i think it's gonna be harder and harder to tell people with a 50" OLED and a surround sound, to move their asses from the couch for that, in the future (not that i have either of those things).

Possession (1981) - A little too much yelling for me to make it a higher score, but this was a really good horror/drama film. Isabelle Adjani was fantastic. 4/5

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Lucky - 8/10. Lovely sendoff for the great Harry Dean Stanton. His personal life philosophy is hammered home a bit too much, but it's still a solid film.

The Square - 6.5/10. The lead was great, the movie had promise, but it's too shapeless and bloated for its own good.

Loving Vincent - 8/10. You are watching this movie for the style. The plot is very simple and formulaic, but it's comfy to watch, and the end is more poignant than I would have expected.

Killing of a Sacred Deer - 5/10. I loved the Lobster, but this was a big miss for me. Just too slow a burn, and there's no twist or any surprises. That's the point of the movie, but it's hard to watch.

The Farthest - 8/10. Excellent documentary about the Voyager missions and what the people were thinking as each objective was being met. Drags on for a bit too long, but it's a must-watch for anyone interested in space.

Blade Runner: 2049. - 9/10 A Top 5 sci-fiction film for me, right up there next to Brazil, which I adore. Solid story, great acting, excellent characters, ridiculous cinematography, confident pacing, all the while remaining true to the spirit of the original, which I'm not the hugest fan of. You can't ask for a better sequel or a more thought-provoking blockbuster. One of the few movies I will rewatch in the theatres. It's bombing, so go see it.

So I watched A Ghost Story today.
I went in completely blind, had it on my watch list cause I remember it getting lots of praise and the screenshots from the film looked great. For some reason I thought it would be a dark comedy. Boy was I wrong.

It's a very sad movie in a very good way, is all I'm gonna say. I highly recommend it. One of the best I've seen all year.

omgkitty

stuck to filmstruck, enjoy!

1. The Long Good Friday
2. What's Up Doc?
3. A Cottage on Dartmoor

*bonus*
Lusty Men

Awesome! Thank you very much.

Since you've seen more movies than anyone I've ever met, I had to go contemporary. If you've seen any of these already, let me know.

1. Still Walking
2. Right Now, Wrong Then
3. Personal Shopper

*Bonus post-Holocaust double header*
Ida / Phoenix

Top Bottom