• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List of pc games with HDR?

brau

HDR needs to be implemented on a software level? Huh I thought that was purely a hardware thing, like RGB range.

Yea. Developers have to add it. Its just not a value or postprocessing that your tv or 3rd party can add. its worth it tho. I love HDR. More games need it.

Corine

Supposedly No Mans Sky. Digital Foundry said it has it, but I've heard people having trouble getting it to work or something.

nOoblet16

HDR needs to be implemented on a software level? Huh I thought that was purely a hardware thing, like RGB range.
Yes.

What actually happens is that the game internally renders HDR lighting and then in order to display this dynamic range on TVs (which are incapable of displaying the full range) they have to tone map the image to a limited range. For normal TV this range is 0-255 and games have been doing this for years and years since Half Life 2.

However the new HDR TVs are capable of displaying range from 0-1023 for HDR10 and higher for Dolby HDR but in order to use this ability the developers now have to tone map to this range instead of tone mapping to be displayed on 0-255. This process is not automatic and this is why developers need to support HDR displays in order for the games to use them. And yes you guessed it right even HDR TVs don't really display the full range it's just that they are capable of displaying a lot more range than older non HDR TVs.

I will continue playing FH3 as soon as the update hits, should be shortly after or with the Windows update since they already have it done for XBONE.
Same with GOW4

One of the recent Hitman updates added HDR as an option in the config menu, it has DX11 and DX12 support as well so its a great title to mess around with video options in. My main monitor is a gSync 1440p but I have a 4k Samsung KS8000 attached too and I can turn on HDR for that monitor but not my gSync monitor. Its interesting playing on the 65" TV in 4k, but I prefer playing on my gSync monitor for a variety of reasons (1440p vs 4k means way better FPS for a start).

WarpathDC

Redout, Vanquish, RE7, Shadow Warrior 2, Mass Effect: A, Half Life 2, Hitman, Paragon, Witness, Obduction,.

I can't find a master list. I was demoted to Jr. a while ago not sure if it is permanent, but I will update games I'm going through right now (over 1000 games lol), not going through all of them ie bundle crap but I will check most games and post them in here.

datamage

People seem to be confused with what HDR is... I can assure you, Half-Life 2 and Vanquish do not have HDR.

Last I checked, The Witness on PC didn't have HDR either, was there a recent patch?

TheBear

How does HDR on pc work? If the game has it, is it a checkbox in the menus or something? Do you need a specific graphics card or can any do it? Is it taxing on frame rate?

scitek

How does HDR on pc work? If the game has it, is it a checkbox in the menus or something? Do you need a specific graphics card or can any do it? Is it taxing on frame rate?

Post Creator's Update on Windows 10 -- you turn it on in the windows Display options, then start the game. There's usually a box to tick in the options, too, but it'll also usually already be on.

You need a GTX 900 series or newer for Nvidia cards, not sure which for AMD, but HDMI 2.0 is the reason.

And no, it doesn't impact performance.

Q8D3vil

FUCK every developer that include HDR on console and doesnt include it in the pc version, i'm done buyign their games and Nex machina going to be my last game that does that.

Checkbox and its not performance hit afaik.

Q8D3vil

Post Creator's Update on Windows 10 -- you turn it on in the windows Display options, then start the game. There's usually a box to tick in the options, too, but it'll also usually already be on.

You need a GTX 900 series or newer for Nvidia cards, not sure which for AMD, but HDMI 2.0 is the reason.

I thinkHDR implementation are through nvidia solution and not related to windows. Would cool though if MS added hdr to Gears and Forza for current pc players.

Gitaroo

Redout, Vanquish, RE7, Shadow Warrior 2, Mass Effect: A, Half Life 2, Hitman, Paragon, Witness, Obduction,.

I can't find a master list. I was demoted to Jr. a while ago not sure if it is permanent, but I will update games I'm going through right now (over 1000 games lol), not going through all of them ie bundle crap but I will check most games and post them in here.

Vanquish, HL2 do not have HDR10 support, the HDR in the graphic setting are the old fake simulated HDR more than a decade ago.

That list has ReCore, but that's a UWP game, and earlier in the thread people said UWP doesn't currently support HDR.

EDIT - I think HDR on PC is a bit of a Wild West atm, with both MS and Nvidia offering different implementations and of course they may not get along with each other. On console it may be less confusing for devs to support. Hell, even on consoles, HDR support varies wildly in implementation from game to game even on the same hardware. For example. Horizon ZD on PS4 works well in HDR, whereas Everybody's Golf is strangely dim. Both PS4 exclusives. HDR can look very good when everything works, but varying standards and implementations mean that it is still very much in the early adopter phase.

effcol

Neo Member
So 12 lol, it's getting there though!

I added a few more that I discovered, it's now 17.

I also added Alien: Isolation, which isn't technically HDR, because it doesn't fill the full standard, but it does have 10-bit colour depth, which is like half of the HDR10 standard.
In my eyes that means it supports HDR, just not fully.

That list has ReCore, but that's a UWP game, and earlier in the thread people said UWP doesn't currently support HDR.

EDIT - I think HDR on PC is a bit of a Wild West atm, with both MS and Nvidia offering different implementations and of course they may not get along with each other. On console it may be less confusing for devs to support. Hell, even on consoles, HDR support varies wildly in implementation from game to game even on the same hardware. For example. Horizon ZD on PS4 works well in HDR, whereas Everybody's Golf is strangely dim. Both PS4 exclusives. HDR can look very good when everything works, but varying standards and implementations mean that it is still very much in the early adopter phase.
Yep. Some games with HDR on PC work like Destiny 2 (via the Beta) and RE7 but others like Agents of Mayhem and Andromeda don't. The requirements for HDR in games need to be completely nailed down by MS, Nvidia and AMD as soon as possible. So far it's been hit and miss.

VashTS

I wish the RE7 HDR implementation actually worked on PC after all of the win 10 creator updates.

I've never gotten the ingame HDR to toggle on and would like to do another playthrough utilizing HDR goodness.

I guess we're waiting on another windows 10 update, game patch and/or driver updates?

I added a few more that I discovered, it's now 17.

I also added Alien: Isolation, which isn't technically HDR, because it doesn't fill the full standard, but it does have 10-bit colour depth, which is like half of the HDR10 standard.
In my eyes that means it supports HDR, just not fully.
How does that work?

KageMaru

Wasn't Rise of the Tomb Raider suppose to get HDR? I wonder what happened.

A HDR demo was shown on the PC but it never showed up in the final release. I'm hoping all versions will be updated once the 1X release hits.

It's odd because I can enable HDR in games without the HDR option enabled in the display setting.

effcol

Neo Member
How does that work?

In the game's settings, there's a 'Deep Colour' option, if you turn that on it'll enable 10-bit colour. On an SDR screen it does nothing, but on a HDR screen, it'll start showing the expanded colours that HDR has.

The only thing it doesn't have is the extra brightness, so it won't be able to reach 1000-4000 nits like officially supported HDR games can.
Though the nature of 10-bit colour depth means that it can show a bit brighter than the the SDR 8-bit colour depth, so you do still get some advantage in brightness.

Top Bottom