• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest view of Jupiter from NASA’s Juno spacecraft

34722655902_c23275fc72_k-1.jpg

Seeing all the clouds in some kind of 3D context instead of the vague 2D squiggle lines I've grown up with is quite amazing.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Aww yeah you made it.

This is something that every human should see. Capturing this imagery is a remarkable achievement. Sadly, very few people will probably ever see it or even care. It's incredible that something so beautiful and awesome is in our solar system, and that we were able to send a tiny robot there.

GG humans. We still suck though.

It may as well be a real Eldritch Being floating around out sun for how awesome it looks. Awesome here meaning that I am actually filled with awe.

To the point that I'm always a bit creeped out by these photos. It's just so immense.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
DFSUFg5.jpg

The star-tracker camera aboard NASA’s Juno spacecraft captured this view of Jupiter’s faint rings on Aug. 27, 2016, during the probe’s first data-gathering close approach to the giant planet. It’s the first-ever view of the rings from inside of them. The bright star above the main ring is Betelgeuse, and Orion’s belt can be seen in the lower right.

Detail is amazing. So many films and games have gas giants with fuzzy atmospheres and cotton like clouds but this is so much more detailed. Breathtaking.

DFSUFg5.jpg

The star-tracker camera aboard NASA’s Juno spacecraft captured this view of Jupiter’s faint rings on Aug. 27, 2016, during the probe’s first data-gathering close approach to the giant planet. It’s the first-ever view of the rings from inside of them. The bright star above the main ring is Betelgeuse, and Orion’s belt can be seen in the lower right.

Such a bright star. This really shows how far Jupiter is from Earth... And I didn't even know that Jupiter had an asteroid ring.

pulsemyne

Detail is amazing. So many films and games have gas giants with fuzzy atmospheres and cotton like clouds but this is so much more detailed. Breathtaking.

If your far away then it will appear so. Juno got extremely close to Jupiter and no one expected the poles to have quite the level of activity they do. It's extremely dynamic.

Lach

What kind of tech can send pictures all the way from jupiter?

Radiowaves. Not a lot of bandwith though and really high pings (lightspeed). Don't know about Juno but the Voyager probes send data with 200bit/s with the signal taking over a day to travel from/to earth.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Such a bright star. This really shows how far Jupiter is from Earth... And I didn't even know that Jupiter had an asteroid ring.

Even on Earth without light pollution or the moon things are much brighter. You can see the bands of the Milky Way and even tell that not all stars are white.

With a good DSLR with a low fstop lens at 10 seconds you see how colorful the sky is.

Top Bottom