• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest view of Jupiter from NASA’s Juno spacecraft

WillyFive

I thought we had 2 moons technically.

Only our one Moon counts, but the Earth has had various other natural objects that temporarily enter orbit around Earth and then either leave or crash into Earth. But they don't last that long compared to our Moon, which has been around for billions of years.

And besides, the Moon can be traced back to Earth itself (same isotopes in rocks, unlike other planets), so it is technically a child of the Earth; any new natural satellites would be adopted.

Only our one Moon counts, but the Earth has had various other natural objects that temporarily enter orbit around Earth and then either leave or crash into Earth. But they don't last that long compared to our Moon, which has been around for billions of years.

And besides, the Moon can be traced back to Earth itself (same isotopes in rocks, unlike other planets), so it is technically a child of the Earth; any new natural satellites would be adopted.

Apparently there are quite a few, although they're not actually moons--they don't orbit Earth. They're more moon...ish.

thanks, this must be what i was thinking of.

Earth possesses one known trojan, a small Solar System body caught in the planet's gravitationally stable L4 Lagrangian point. This object, 2010 TK7 is roughly 300 metres across. Like quasi-satellites, it orbits the Sun in a 1:1 resonance with Earth, rather than Earth itself.

Back on topic, I wonder if some of the symmetrical storms were cause by breakup impacts the shoemaker-levy 9.

Welp, my day just peaked. Not sure what to do with the rest of it now. I think I'll just stare at it for a while and admire how damned impossible it is to comprehend.

cameron

isnt this what it really looks like though?
https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing?id=1276

https://d2xkkdgjnsfvb0.cloudfront.n...=960&OutputFormat=jpg&Quality=90&t=1495461558
(happy to be wrong if not)

I always get slightly bummed at the enhancements done to space photo's to make them much more colorful than they really are. Anyone that has more info on that, please correct or add to this.

EDIT: I am aware that they often use cameras that see different spectrums than the human eye

The raw combined RGB images on JunoCam still need to be processed a bit to generate "approximate true color". It's closer to this:
Nc95j9C.jpg

The raw source: https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing?id=633

I feel you. It's intense when you think of the things out there, like Jupiter, that exist without purpose nor capability of reason. Space is always such wild stuff.

The Earth exists without purpose nor capability of reason.

If it was as close to us as Sirius, it would give the moon a run for its money in the night's sky.

Am I misreading this? Sirius isn't anywhere close to us compared to Jupiter.

nkarafo

It's mind blowing to me that the universe and all celestial objects within exist. We can't comprehend how big it all is, how it started and how or why everything exists at all but we can't deny it because we see it.

Glassboy

It's mind blowing to me that the universe and all celestial objects within exist. We can't comprehend how big it all is, how it started and how or everything exists at all but we can't deny it because we see it.
Yeah my mind starts to freak out a bit when I start to think about it more. I just don't know if I have to mental capacity for any of it lol

nkarafo

Yeah my mind starts to freak out a bit when I start to think about it more. I just don't know if I have to mental capacity for any of it lol
You know what freaks me out the most? That we, as a species on this solar system, that can "see" it. I wonder if other civilizations exist/existed/will exist that also can. I mean, how meaningless or a waste all this would be if there isn't anyone to notice it and blow his mind?

-BLITZ-

Is like work of art, paint that is.

Heh, it would be interesting to find out that portion of blue is actually clouds filled with water, well I don't know much about Jupiter because I didn't read lately about it so it could be from other reasons for that blue color, but you know, hopes never dies.

qcf x2

Go nature! Jk, I dislike most of these planets, so very inhospitable and... creepy. Also don't like false color photographs, gives too many people the wrong idea.

SaviourMK2

This is one of those things I wanna just jump into the experience despite knowing i'll die, immediately, and no amount of protection will save me.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
The Earth exists without purpose nor capability of reason.

Am I misreading this? Sirius isn't anywhere close to us compared to Jupiter.

Lol my comment is in response to the poster's first sentence in regards to the star Betelgeuse. Sirius is about 8lys from us. If Betelgeuse (which is over 600lys away) was that close, it would be incredibly bright and spectacular during nights on earth. They're expecting that when it does eventually go super nova, it would be a glorious death knell. Imagine if it was only 8lys away when it goes BOOM?! We would probably be fucked.

WillyFive

I feel you. It's intense when you think of the things out there, like Jupiter, that exist without purpose nor capability of reason. Space is always such wild stuff.

Trying to assign purpose to giant balls of air robs it of its actual majesty.

nkarafo

Imagine if it was only 8lys away when it goes BOOM?! We would probably be fucked.
I doubt anything that far would have an effect on us, let alone cause us to be "fucked". I mean, the star is massive and all but come on, 8 light years is very far.

Chronoja

Every time I see images of Jupiter from these "strange" angles and false colour I keep thinking of the Eden summon animation from FF8.

It's fascinating how different things can appear based on your point of view. It'll never cease to amaze me though that we have the technologies to see the skies in ways never seen before.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I doubt anything that far would have an effect on us, let alone cause us to be "fucked". I mean, the star is massive and all but come on, 8 light years is very far.

Within 8lys would absolutely fuck us up. NASA and most astronomers state that a super nova has to be within 50lys to cause our biosphere problems. Within 8lys? Yeah, we're not surviving that.

A near-Earth supernova is an explosion resulting from the death of a star that occurs close enough to the Earth (roughly less than 10 to 300 parsecs (30 to 1000 light-years) away to have noticeable effects on its biosphere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-Earth_supernova

Astronomers estimate that, on average, about one or two supernovae explodes each century in our galaxy. But for Earth's ozone layer to experience damage from a supernova, the blast must occur less than 50 light-years away. All of the nearby stars capable of going supernova are much farther than this.

http://earthsky.org/space/will-a-nearby-supernova-harm-life-on-earth-in-2012-nah

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

We'd get TRASHED at 8ly. The energies are astonishing. Literally Alchemy levels.

Edit. Beaten like a nuclear transmutation.

Oidisco

It's a shame we probably won't ever have the tech to study the metallic hydrogen layer up close. That would be something to see given how we have only seen liquid hydrogen layer at near absolute zero.

Sevenfold

It does save us from asteroids and comets with its awesome gravity.

This can't be overstated. Jupiter hoovers up asteroids and they gather in front and behind trapped in a perfect mix of gravity from Jupiter and the Sun. Another of those ingredients that have allowed us to exist like our fucking giant moon!

These pictures are beautiful.

That looks like terrifying weather.

A storm bigger than our planet? Nope. No matter how hard I try, I'm just not equipped to comprehend it!

It still boggles my mind when I think that everything in our solar system fits between Earth and the Moon!

Herne

Not Jupiter, but...

My flatmate bought a small €200 bridge camera (with 22x zoom) a while back when his old one broke, and one night he was taking a photograph of the moon with a long exposure, set up on the tripod on our balcony. When he was looking at the images later on his pc, he saw a tiny blurry object just below the moon and zoomed in.

This is what he saw -

8u8nPtuh.jpg

He intends on pointing at Jupiter sometime.

Top Bottom