• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lines Snaked Through Entire Park for Disney's Guardians of the Galaxy Ride Debut

Oni Jazar

Yeah IOA feels a little dated now. Going two times in a row, the Marvel section doesn't really make any use of the cinematic universe. Could definitely retrofit some of those rides like Spiderman. Swap Dr Doom out for something better etc.

They even revamped the Hulk IIRC but was basically just a fresh coat of paint.

Hell no Dr Doom is my favorite ride. :p

Just following up on this, I didn't realize the contract was out in the open. Paraphrasing here; It does state that east of the Mississippi they own the rights for characters within the families they are using, however it also states that no marvel property shall be used for any marvel themed rides within a 60 mile radius of islands of adventure. This would explain why they are able to do meet and greets, but rides are never going to happen for any property. It also explicitly states that marvel simulator experiences shall not be used in this same radius. It's a bummer but it is what it is. Contract runs for perpetuity as long as Universal keeps everything in good shape and pays their fees.
I think the part of the contract you're referring to just means Disney can't brand the "under used" (by Comcast/Universal) properties like GotG as Marvel attractions which also applies to the west coast. That's why it's not called "Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Mission: BREAKOUT". The difference is that on the east coast, Disney isn't allowed to use Avengers, F4, X-men, and Spider-man families.

That's a crazy line, and I too would never stand in it, but given the choice, I'd rather stand in a unreasonably long line for a Tower of Terror reskin than I would for a Maelstrom reskin. Though that was apparently 5 hours, rather than 7 hours.

Their rules say that noone over 14 is allowed to wear costumes.

I was at Disneyland like a year or two ago, and I remember seeing a bunch of teenagers older than 14 wearing Dr. Who costumes, but I guess that's easier to slip by in.

q9fo4fD.png

The one thing that could possibly make 7 hours worth it is if any member of the cast was there in character like Depp did with Pirates of the Caribbean.
Throw Michael Rooker in the elevator with you

I still can't believe they re-branded the Tower of Terror, and GotG looks as badly shoehorned as I expected

To be fair, they only rebranded one of the Tower of Terrors out there in the world. The Paris version remains, as does the Orlando incarnation, which, let's be real here, is the one that matters the most, really.

If Hollywood Studios' TOT goes down, then heads will truly begin to roll.

Now that I think about it, it's pretty funny how we now have three different versions/themes of the same ride worldwide.

In California, we have Guardians of the Galaxy. In Orlando and Paris, we still have The Twilight Zone. Lastly, over in Japan, Tokyo DisneySea's Tower of Terror has a completely different and original storyline involving a cursed idol, complete with a gorgeous looking exterior.

the_tower_of_terror.jpg

Damn. TDS truly is a work of art.

The ride looks super fuckin' lame.

What a boring ass dark ride.

Well it's a reskin. They are shoehorning this theme onto a ride that was carefully designed. Everything came from that haunted hotel theme. The whole reason the elevator drop works is because of that. And it was designed as a "scary" ride, not a funny one.

Going by the pictures the whole atmosphere of it seems cheap. The queue looks like a futuristic Planet Hollywood. The Hotel lobby was so well designed. It was better than most hotel lobbies I've been in, minus the cobwebs and dust. And the transition to the library and then the boiler room and elevator just made sense.

It still has the same layout of a hotel, now it's some sort of museum. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm sure it's a fun ride, but this GotG ride can ever be as successful of an idea as the ToT.

Alright kids.and wife, we'll stroll to the queue at let's say after an early lunch, so 12pm and once we're done queueing and going on a 5 minute ride it'll be 7pm just in time for dinner.

What a total waste of time and money. An entire day of holiday written off for a 7 hour queue.

Sorry kids, fucking teacups for you. 7 hours seriously. I'm not meant for Disney parks clearly. 7 fucking hours!!!!!

Only thing that would make a 7hr wait for this reasonable for me is if a cast member personally gives you a hug and and selfie and congradulate you for having a will of steel when you make it to the front.

Cptkrush

I think the part of the contract you're referring to just means Disney can't brand the "under used" (by Comcast/Universal) properties like GotG as Marvel attractions which also applies to the west coast. That's why it's not called "Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Mission: BREAKOUT". The difference is that on the east coast, Disney isn't allowed to use Avengers, F4, X-men, and Spider-man families.

That's the part about outside of the east coast. The part I'm referring to clearly states that rides involving the marvel characters even not included in universals area are prohibited within 60 miles of IOA. The verbiage is such that Disney could try to remove the marvel branding, but Universal would probably challenge it and would most certainly win. Guardians are a marvel property whether they brand it as such or not, so it falls into that 60 mile rule.
Restrictions as to the geographic location of The Marvel Action Universe in areas where MCA has exclusive rights hereunder.

a. The Marvel Action Universe will not be within 60 miles of any Universal Theme Park with a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE

b. Mini-theme parks, recreation centers, game centers and the like designated with the Marvel name or the name of any Marvel characters or any major entertainment component of a Marvel Action Universe such as a motion based film ride shall not be within 60 miles of any Universal Theme Park with a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE.

The key words there being "designated with the marvel name or the name of any Marvel characters or any major component of the Marvel Action Universe"

Disney lost the right to use Guardians as soon as the first movie became a hit. It's now a major property, and therefore not usable for WDW.

Like I said before, rumors are rumors. There has been a rumored Jurassic park renovation for the last 10 or so years at IOA, never has happened or shown signs of happening. Disney cannot legally build a guardians of the galaxy themed attraction unless the move Epcot 60 miles away from IOA

Gartooth

For as long as Disney has owned Marvel they haven't done anything in the parks to make me think they should have them in Florida anyway. Spider-Man alone makes Marvel being locked down at IOA worth it. Although if Universal just rethemed the land and replaced Doom with an E ticket the place would be a hell of a lot better.

Cptkrush

For as long as Disney has owned Marvel they haven't done anything in the parks to make me think they should have them in Florida anyway. Spider-Man alone makes Marvel being locked down at IOA worth it. Although if Universal just rethemed the land and replaced Doom with an E ticket the place would be a hell of a lot better.
I'm gonna sound hypocritical when I say this based on my dismissing of the Guardians Epcot rumor, but... rumor has it they're planning a modernization of the area. Dunno if that means rides and all or just re theming it to match modern marvel characters. Again rumors are rumors, take with a tablespoon of salt.

I'll have to ask my family friend that's a pretty Important project guy there next time i see him if they have any plans. He won't be able to specify but he can confirm or deny safely at least

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Love all the negativity in here, never change GAF.

I'll be going at the end of June. As someone who grew up in California and has been to Disney many times, I don't mind waiting a while for this ride, love Guardians and the ride looks neat.

your upset at the negativity for a seven hour wait time? Fuck that.

Id be the guy riding all the other rides twice while those poor schmucks stand in line.

Gartooth

I'm gonna sound hypocritical when I say this based on my dismissing of the Guardians Epcot rumor, but... rumor has it they're planning a modernization of the area. Dunno if that means rides and all or just re theming it to match modern marvel characters. Again rumors are rumors, take with a tablespoon of salt.

I'll have to ask my family friend that's a pretty Important project guy there next time i see him if they have any plans. He won't be able to specify but he can confirm or deny safely at least

The land certainly could use it. Getting rid of the excessive cut outs and going for a well themed Marvel New York would do wonders for the area. There was also that ride patent that looked like Iron Man armor that could replace Doom with a Stark Tower facade.

Isn't it just the Tower of Terror re-branded?

Yep, and it's funny that the ride cars still look like the old elevator shaft cars, they did nothing to retheme them expect add some graffiti to the walls. But it's exact same ride just now with 80's music and random guardians footage playing.

I haven't been to Disney World in like eight years. Maybe I can talk my GF into going. It will be weird without kids or a huge group, I guess, but I wanna try this new ride and the new Star Wars and Harry Potter stuff (that's all there too, right?).
My gf and I went by ourselves a few years ago and we had a goddamned blast! You'll never enjoy it the same way when you go like as as opposed when you go with litttle kids who get hungry, get scared, need to go to the bathroom every other minute, aren't tall enough to ride or get tired early.

And yes it's entirely normal for couples to go without kids.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Am I the only one creeped out by grownups who are obsessed with Disney and Disneyworld/land?

Except my girl Leeness, of course

I know several people like that. They're all Muslims who subscribe to no-fun-allowed philosophies, though.

My gf and I went by ourselves a few years ago and we had a goddamned blast! You'll never enjoy it the same way when you go like as as opposed when you go with litttle kids who get hungry, get scared, need to go to the bathroom every other minute, aren't tall enough to ride or get tired early.

If you aren't embarrassed to go to a comic book movie or sci-fi adventure film, going to Disney or any theme park shouldn't be any different. What I appreciate it about these parks the older I get is the craftsmanship and attention to creating the atmosphere. It's like being able to actually be in a movie.

AkumaNiko

my wife and I go quite often on our own. Going to DL next week for the first time too. Been to DW about 8 times since 2009, sometimes on our own, sometimes with friends. Going again later this year

Linkura

Alright kids.and wife, we'll stroll to the queue at let's say after an early lunch, so 12pm and once we're done queueing and going on a 5 minute ride it'll be 7pm just in time for dinner.

What a total waste of time and money. An entire day of holiday written off for a 7 hour queue.

Sorry kids, fucking teacups for you. 7 hours seriously. I'm not meant for Disney parks clearly. 7 fucking hours!!!!!
Pretty sure most of the people waiting in line are fanatic locals with annual passes. It's a thing for the locals to just go there for one ride, maybe have a meal, and then leave.

She has yet to buy the admission ticket. You need that to order FP+ in advance. If she doesn't manage to grab FP+ for the Oandora rides then I'll tell her your tips. Hopefully that early hotel-guests-only magic hour might help.

What exactly is she waiting for? If she's staying onsite and not using the 60 day FP+ reservation perk, why the hell even stay at a Disney resort?

That's the part about outside of the east coast. The part I'm referring to clearly states that rides involving the marvel characters even not included in universals area are prohibited within 60 miles of IOA. The verbiage is such that Disney could try to remove the marvel branding, but Universal would probably challenge it and would most certainly win. Guardians are a marvel property whether they brand it as such or not, so it falls into that 60 mile rule.

The key words there being "designated with the marvel name or the name of any Marvel characters or any major component of the Marvel Action Universe"

Disney lost the right to use Guardians as soon as the first movie became a hit. It's now a major property, and therefore not usable for WDW.

Like I said before, rumors are rumors. There has been a rumored Jurassic park renovation for the last 10 or so years at IOA, never has happened or shown signs of happening. Disney cannot legally build a guardians of the galaxy themed attraction unless the move Epcot 60 miles away from IOA
There must be an agreement or loophole that at least explains Star-Lord and baby Groot. A meet & greet doesn't seem like it would be exempt from this contract.

Top Bottom