• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2017)

9788490626726-us-300.jpg

The Truce by Mario Benedetti (in Spanish)

Such a well written, poignant, reflective yet cynical novel. All written as diary entries from an aging man months away from retirement. He doesn't get along with his sons, his wife died years ago, and the only thing that more or less lets him get on with his day is his job.

Almost done with it, then I might move on to another novel by him.

Pepboy

9780804843935.website__13786.1470930645.jpg

It's such an enjoyable translation! I'm loving the characters, and how each chapter ends with a cliffhanger.

I had tried to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms the translation from 1925 or so and found it unbearable, but this is a totally different experience. The first few pages are a summary of the major characters, allowing for easy reference.

Is there a website or some way to be notified of when books for Kindle go on sale in Amazon? Anytime I go to the "deals" page it's just a bunch of bestsellers and contemporary novels I have no interest in. Is there a way to see when/which books are temporarily reduced in price?

Is there a website or some way to be notified of when books for Kindle go on sale in Amazon? Anytime I go to the "deals" page it's just a bunch of bestsellers and contemporary novels I have no interest in. Is there a way to see when/which books are temporarily reduced in price?
I just added as many books I could into my wish list, which sends me a notification/email whenever one of the books on that list goes on sale.

E: Wait, holy fucking shit, it's my third time reading through and I only JUST realized that Foundation might be a retelling of European history.

After the Galactic Empire falls, there is rampant barbarianism throughout the galaxy. The Foundation (the political faction based on the planet Terminus) first spreads a religion (which is actually scientific knowledge that's lost to the public). After that, nationalism slowly starts to take over. In the fourth story, a planet holds a person of the Trader faction hostage for suspicion of attempting to sell forbidden goods, and it might lead to death by gas.

arkon

I use ereaderiq.com. At the moment I have a load of authors or books added so I get notifications regularly. Handily though, you can block notifications on individual books, for example if you've already purchased it.

Works well although I have had some occasions where the book wasn't listed on the site even though it was on the kindle store.

Also has different sites for the UK, US and CAN storefronts.

Anyone read the new Phillip Pullman book?

Its been so long since I read His Dark Materials but im pretty excited to see if its good.

I have read the first hundred pages, it is very pleasant and intriguing, just as you would imagine. Seems he hasn't lost his touch.

Just finished "The Great Santini." Damn, I don't care if Pat Conroy keeps writing the same book; it was a good read.

I noticed that Robert McCammon's "A Boy's Life" is on sale for $1.99, so I picked that up. I read Swan's Song earlier this year, so looking forward to another from the same author.

duckroll

Norse Mythology (Neil Gaiman)

This wasn't very good. It's basically what it says it is - a modern rewrite of a selection of Norse myths in Gaiman's easy to read style, arranged chronologically to tell a linear sort of narrative. It's light weight, thin on content for those already familiar with the mythology, and I feel it doesn't really add much in terms of new perspective or original content. Didn't hate it or anything but definitely felt like I could have read something more interesting instead.

HotHamBoy

I've been in the mood for horror/mistery for a while. Mostly haunted house stuff. Finished a few days ago Hell House.

I don't know. It's enjoyable but it felt... underwhelming? You hear people talking about it like it's one of the most frightening books ever, and it has its moments, but not that much. I guess it's the same reason why you keep seeing The Exorcist in Scariest Movies list.

Now I'm reading The Haunting of Hill House

So far, so good. It reads like it was written yesterday, amazing.

Yup, Hell House is weak shit. I read it this year and was thoroughly disappointed as I loved I Am Legend.

The best scene is probably the one in the steam bath. That's the only one that I found truly creepy.

The Haunting of Hill House, though, is fantastic. Shirley Jackson is so good.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Started reading the Phasma book. About 60 pages in and I think I'm done. The writing is horrendous. It's so bad I can't even concentrate on or enjoy the story.

Never read a Star Wars book before and I don't think I will after this.

Wvrs

I'm reading La Belle Sauvage by Phillip Pullman whenever I get the time. Thoroughly enjoying it, HDM was one of my all-time favourites and it's a delight to jump back into the world.

Currently looking for a new historical fiction book to fuel my present obsession with ancient Rome. I really enjoyed the Cicero trilogy by Robert Harris, and of course read I Claudius and its sequel; anyone have some other suggestions? Wouldn't mind something set in the later Empire or even towards the Byzantine period, haven't really learned much about those times yet.

Jag

I'm reading La Belle Sauvage by Phillip Pullman whenever I get the time. Thoroughly enjoying it, HDM was one of my all-time favourites and it's a delight to jump back into the world.

Currently looking for a new historical fiction book to fuel my present obsession with ancient Rome. I really enjoyed the Cicero trilogy by Robert Harris, and of course read I Claudius and its sequel; anyone have some other suggestions? Wouldn't mind something set in the later Empire or even towards the Byzantine period, haven't really learned much about those times yet.

Check out Hardcore History's Rome podcast. It is fantastic. Also Rome on HBO is very entertaining as well.

Sure, weemadarthur formally requested it back (well, I did too, earlier). I guess I will try to get the others back as well (hopefully). Need to see the other book recommendations that I haven't bought so far.

I requested the previous ones, but if you have actual links to them it will be faster I'm sure. 13 years X 12 months each, possibly.

Lucumo

I requested the previous ones, but if you have actual links to them it will be faster I'm sure. 13 years X 12 months each, possibly.

Nothing beyond what is linked in the first post, unfortunately. The problem is that despite you requesting it and I requesting it twice (everything that is linked in the OP) in the official thread so far, nothing except January 2016 has shown up yet.

-hal-

Doctor Sleep (Stephen King)

I completely missed that this was a continuance of The Shining timeline.

Flaws? Sure, typical King

Good to be back? Oh yes

thomaser

Just finished Volume 3, Book 2 of Alasdair Gray's Lanark: A Life In Four Books. This volume depicts a struggling artist's descent into madness and suicide, and can be quite unpleasant to read. Now, on to the last volume (Volume 4, Book 4), which returns to the first volume's dystopian sci-fi setting and continues where that left off.

Couldn't find an image of the cover, but here's an image from the inside of the volume:
lanark-title.jpg

Fbh

Still City of Blades.

Moving along slowly (at 49% according to my Kindle) since I haven't had that much time to read but I'm enjoying it so far

This month I have been reading Murakami’s books on the recommendation of a friend. I’m reading his first 3 books, ‘Hear the Wind Sing’ , ‘Pinball 1973’ , and ‘A Wild Sheep Chase.’ Just finished the first 2 and currently on the third. To be honest, so far I’m not too impressed with Murakami but I have also heard his later books are far better.

marcincz

There wasn't any new thread in a long time.

What are you reading?

Last time I finished The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin and currently reading Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut.

CloudNull

Banned
I notice no more reading threads? Did the enthusiasm simply go away? (I'm new around here)

There wasn't any new thread in a long time.

What are you reading?

Last time I finished The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin and currently reading Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut.

There is a fairly active OT. We could always use more members. Slaughter house 5 is still on my list.

marcincz

There is a fairly active OT. We could always use more members. Slaughter house 5 is still on my list.

Great.
Thx man.

Top Bottom