• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS or android apps that do their job extremely well

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
In London (and some other cities) Citymapper is absolutely essential. Live bus and train times, fare prices, deep filtering options, ability to refresh route from current location. It’s really fantastic and I use it daily, puts all other route planning apps to shame.

Workflow - I just started using this. Basically you can create a chain of events that will be activate with one tap.

Gaia GPS - The best GPS app for hikers I have found. Want to track your mileage and elevation of a hike? This is the app.

Nike+ Run Club - With the new guided runs this app keeps getting better and better.

Spark - After trying almost every email app, this is the one I keep coming back to. That said I would use the built in iOS email app if it only had snooze. It is 2017, you have to have snooze. (that said Mailbox is still the all-time greatest, FU Dropbox for killing it).

Overcast - Still my favorite podcast app.

Awful - SA has one of the best forum reader apps. I wish NeoGAF had one, but I understand why not. I just prefer a good app over using a webpage on my phone.

Snapseed - There are several really good photo editors out there, but Snapseed might be the best. Also love the tutorials.

Mextures - While Snapseed is for your normal photo edits, Mextures is the app that does the best over edits.

NotePass - Simple app. You need to say something to someone at a loud bar or concert, just type it here and turn your phone towards them.

Pocket - A great way to save links.

I’ve been using Any.do for about 2 years. It’s a to do list that lets you add stuff to today, tomorrow or the future.

I just use one list for everything, you swipe to cross them out. It also syncs between my iPad/phone and Mac. Literally perfect for what I need.

Protome

Bargain Bytes, a simple little app for checking PC game deals (it uses the API from CheapShark) with options to add things to a wishlist and get notified if those games go on sale.

iOS - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bargain-bytes-game-deals/id1067280514?mt=8
Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rockspin.bargainbits&hl=en_GB

Disclaimer: I did a little bit of work on the iOS version of this app. But that was because I already used it a bunch and happened to know one of the guys who made it.

reKon

Banned
Sleep as Android - this is the definitive sleep app for Android. It uses your phone sensors to monitor your movement when you sleep so that the app can track when you're in REM cycles. You can set it to wake you up at the optimal time so that you're not woken up during a REM cycle and feel like shit when waking up. Yes, this actually works and there are loads of other features and options. Worth the $4 - $6 dollars EASILY.

Talon - flawless Twitter app. I know Fenix is also very popular, but I think Talon is just as good. The performance is absolutely exceptional at all times and it allows you to create a transculent or transparent widget on your home screen. I don't miss out on my great deals following Wario64 or Slickdeals on twitter just because of this app.

Nova launcher - this is the definitive customizable homescreen for Android. This effectively makes any complaint that a phone doesn't run "stock Android" useless. The performance and customization options objectively make it superior to both stock Android and iOS. The main reason for this are the easy of applying custom icon packs, custom gestures, wipeable bottom docks, and custom shortcuts. Everything is so damn easy to apply.

Textra - this was already mentioned a few times in this thread. If you want a reliable, great peforming messaging (sms/MMS)) app that also features tons of great customization, just get this one.

Event flow - calendar agenda widget that goes right on your home screen. You can customize and choose from multiple transparent dark/alpha themes. It leaves you with a very clean look and tapping it takes you right your default calendar app or weather app (if you enable the weather by day feature)

Fingertouch Pro - this app is absolutely essential for me. I've grown tired of physically pressing the home button on my S7 Edge. This app makes it so that you can tap it perform the action of the home button. It has made navigation in the OS much more faster and pleasant. There are some other customizations you apply such as setting actions if you long press. I have to say though - every once in a while the app stops working and you have to go into the app settings to start and then stop the service. This doesn't happen too often and I still use this app because it's the version of what it does on Androidd. If you get this, make sure to add this as one of the apps that Android will not force to sleep when optimizing battery life.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pocketcast = hands down the best podcast app on Android
Tweetbot = my go to twitter app for iOS
I used to swear by Tweetbot but recently, since Twitter has begun to start controlling 3rd party apps and choke them out of existence, it's become kind of a dud considering search functionality is severely neutered. I'm pretty much on the brink of switching to the default Twitter app, which I hear isn't half the mess it used to be.

Love Clear so much. Not the most functional, but definitely the most satisfying list app.

aravuus

Sleep as Android - this is the definitive sleep app for Android. It uses your phone sensors to monitor your movement when you sleep so that the app can track when you're in REM cycles. You can set it to wake you up at the optimal time so that you're not woken up during a REM cycle and feel like shit when waking up. Yes, this actually works and there are loads of other features and options. Worth the $4 - $6 dollars EASILY.I love how Nova Launcher is never considered when people complain about Android skins vs stock Android. Like seriously, shut the hell up with that shit point. I can understand the wanting of continuous support and updates, but "stock Android" is a not really a great reason to buy a phone anymore.

The random nova rant at the end there made me chuckle, but anyway - has anyone tried comparing this and the one posted earlier, Sleep Cycle? I've managed to wake up at the worst possible moment every morning this past week I think, always felt awful despite getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep, so I figured I should try one of these.

reKon

Banned
The random nova rant at the end there made me chuckle, but anyway - has anyone tried comparing this and the one posted earlier, Sleep Cycle? I've managed to wake up at the worst possible moment every morning this past week I think, always felt awful despite getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep, so I figured I should try one of these.

Oh God. That was a left over from my clipboard that somehow got posted on to this thread. That's been removed now, lol.

mackattk

Join on android. Works extremely well. Notifications, universal copy/paste, file transfers, SMS.. works on the android phone as well as my work/home computer. It is honestly one of the things that keeps me ingrained in the android ecosystem.

Reckheim

Inbox by Google - There is something extremely satisfying about clicking "done" and seeing that son appear after all my notes, reminders and e-mails are gone. Also really like the snooze functionality for e-mails, like bills (which I pay once a month on a set day).

I agree, nice and simple app for my personal emails.

Use outlook for work emails and that's a surprisingly good app as well.

pocket casts and textra are great as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Snapseed - The best photo editor on mobile i have seen and consistently improves over time. I use it on my chromebook as well. An amazing amount of tools available. I haven't had to sit at my computer to edit photos in a couple of years now. Its on android, not sure if its on IOS.

Does it let you resize photos? One of my most commonly required things if I'm sending a quick photo to someone, but oddly difficult to do

Not sure if this applies but I turned my Galaxy S8+ into a Windows Phone.

Microsoft Launcher + Edge Browser for Android + Metro 8.1 Theme (Available on Samsung Theme Store).

Looks like a legit Windows phone and acts like it too. Love it. Great integration with Office 365 and all my MS stuff.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Microsoft Launcher + Edge Browser for Android + Metro 8.1 Theme (Available on Samsung Theme Store).

Looks like a legit Windows phone and acts like it too. Love it. Great integration with Office 365 and all my MS stuff.

I personally don't see why anyone would want that, but hey.

Noema

Anyone used both AntennaPod and PocketCasts? I'm using the former but curious what the latter might offer if I forked up some cash.

I used AntennaPod for a while then switched to Pocketcasts. AntennaPod is okay for a free app for Pocketcasts is one of the best apps I've used. It's definitely worth the money.

Weather Timeline for Android. I have a weather widget screen that has everything I care about on it. Very useful and customizable.

emag

Heartfeed - This app was built by 1 guy to replace the once phenomenal Pulse News Reader after LinkedIn purchased, systematically compromised, and finally abandoned it. It’s a brilliant tablet/phone RSS reader that presents a compact, no bullshit grid of titles and thumbnails for any number of sources that you like with support for categories. This has been hands down my #1 most used daily app on my iOS devices for the last nearly 2 years (and if you count when Pulse was good, 10 years almost). The app is free with no ads, but there’s a limit on the number of feeds that you can pay $2.99 one time to remove.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/heartfeed-rss-reader/id1078754321?mt=8

+1

I've been using Heartfeed as a Pulse replacement for a while as well. It doesn't do everything as well as Pulse used to (scrolling stutters, some images thumbnails don't load, the custom Pulse feeds are missing), but it's still the best RSS aggregator for me due to the Pulse-style grid layout. I'm shocked that I haven't found another news reader with a reasonable (even non-grid) UI. Everything else either just blends everything together (mixing dry tech updates, long-form reporting, and web comics without rhyme or reason) or makes it a hassle to check all updates across sources.

Heartfeed is the only non-standard app I use on a daily (maybe twice daily) basis.

Live Tiles (standardizing the functionality of a widget within the launcher icon itself) were the whole point of the WP interface, not the giant icons on their own.

Fliesen

Does it let you resize photos? One of my most commonly required things if I'm sending a quick photo to someone, but oddly difficult to do

i just checked because i was curious. It doesn't seem to be possible on a "per image" basis, like "reduce size" or "export as..."

but you can set it to auto resize images when exporting.

BCE2INl.png

However, it doesn't seem to offer share-sheet integration, which is lame, as you can't just do "open in -> Snapseed -> "share"

reKon

Banned
Google Voice is definitely the best for visual voicemail. Screw all that carrier bullshit. That's not included as bloatware on iPhones, right?

Lothars

I'm looking for a new podcast app, Downcast has been frustrating lately. I'd like to be able to queue up podcasts and I need an app that works on iOS and Android and syncs between multiple devices. Is Pocket Casts the way to go?
Yes it is fanatastic, I use it on both IOS, android and PC and it syncs between them flawlessly. I would definitely recommend it. Best Podcast app by a mile to me.

reKon

Banned
Why am I am idiot who had never thought of using something like tiny scanner?

I'm assuming the quality is actually better than using an actual $5,000+ office printer/scanner?

McLovin

I like using Cash to send money to family, also it works with Apple Pay so I can put a set amount in for the week for vending machines. Before, I would use western union and the fees were killing me. This is free and instant, so I freaking love it. I just downloaded Venmo but havent gotten into it yet.

inner-G

Banned
Google Maps

When I'm out and about, I don't usually look up shops or restaurants on a web search, yelp app or anything because the google maps app is just better for it. More integrated, better results, and it's easy to just navigate to whatever you find.

bigkrev

Any major differences between Overcast, Pocket Casts and Downcast for iOS? I’ve always used the default podcasts app but I really don’t like the iOS 11 changes. The one thing keeping me on Podcasts was knowing that pretty much everybody posts their podcasts on iTunes (or whatever we call it these days).

Pocket Casts does not have the ability to enter a user name and password for a password-protected RSS feed, which Downcast can do

I personally don't see why anyone would want that, but hey.

Because I adore Microsoft, Windows, Xbox (even though I main PS4), and their products? They are unparalleled in the fields of productivity and functionality, though Google is trying.

Shocking, I know.

Live Tiles (standardizing the functionality of a widget within the launcher icon itself) were the whole point of the WP interface, not the giant icons on their own.

... uh?

The Microsoft Launcher on the app store doesn't use Live Tiles. It just has supreme Office 365 and Outlook integration with a nice MS/Windows feel and look.

Plus Bing and Microsoft Rewards are God-Tier.

Enco

Google Maps

When I'm out and about, I don't usually look up shops or restaurants on a web search, yelp app or anything because the google maps app is just better for it. More integrated, better results, and it's easy to just navigate to whatever you find.

Google Maps is easily one of the greatest things about smartphones.

It completely changes travel and is an amazing example of how great smartphones can be. Up there along with the web browsing ability of phones as a key feature.

Adguard: ad-blocking, whitelisting, and ability to add custom rules. has been the best one of these for me.

1Password: still using dropbox syncing. I still like the UI of this best but will probably dump it the second they start pushing people towards their subscription plans.

Reeder: I'm old school so I still use RSS. I really love the look and usability of the app.

PocketCasts: Enjoyed using it on Android and still enjoy using it on iOS. The syncing and Chromecast support is great. I don't really need a lot from a podcast app but Apple's app is just pure garbage.

Spotify: one of my most used apps. Like the UI. Like the playlists. Used Apple Music for a month and went straight back to Spotify.

Great thread. Made me buy Pocket Casts, which I like a lot.

Question to anyone who uses it though, how do you change the order of episodes that are in the "Up Next" queue? I'm on Android if it matters, thanks.

Primus

Authy all the ease of use of Google Authenticator but with cloud backups of your accounts.

This. Beats Google Authenticator hands-down with the backup feature, as I found out the last time I upgraded iPhones. Not to mention that it can handle pretty much every site's 2FA except for Blizzard, as well as those sites like Twitch and Humble Bundle that only support Authy.

Question to anyone who uses it though, how do you change the order of episodes that are in the "Up Next" queue? I'm on Android if it matters, thanks.

You can swipe to the right from where the podcast is playing and rearrange them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

What they said, also you can just tap on an episode in the queu to immediately jump it to the top of the list. And check the settings for podcasts - I have my favourites auto-download over wifi and auto-add to the up next list. Pretty much entirely hands off after that

Top Bottom