• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight |OT| Cute Insects That Just Want to Burrow Into Your Heart

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Do I lose all of my money when I die or can I pick it up back at where I died?

you can get your body like Dark Souls. If you die on the way there its gone forever...like Dark Souls.

d00d3n

You don't really pick it up, you fight your soul.

Yeah, that dark dude took me by surprise when I came to pick up my cash. Only lost one health though.

Good game, if a little aimless at times. The map(s) are huge and don't feel as tightly designed as the map in Momodora IV or Ori. I am not sure why they split the game into several maps, why I have to wander in darkness in each place until I find the map dude or even then why I can't see my position on the map. Seems to add a lot of confusion for little benefit.

The game starts super slow and I am not sure that I would have been intrigued enough to continue unless all of you people had given your glowing recommendations. I am starting to get into the lore and the world after a couple of hours and beating a couple of bosses, but the game would have had an easier path to mainstream success if it started stronger imo.

Sarcasm

Yeah, that dark dude took me by surprise when I came to pick up my cash. Only lost one health though.

Good game, if a little aimless at times. The map(s) are huge and don't feel as tightly designed as the map in Momodora IV or Ori. I am not sure why they split the game into several maps, why I have to wander in darkness in each place until I find the map dude or even then why I can't see my position on the map. Seems to add a lot of confusion for little benefit.

The game starts super slow and I am not sure that I would have been intrigued enough to continue unless all of you people had given your glowing recommendations. I am starting to get into the lore and the world after a couple of hours and beating a couple of bosses, but the game would have had an easier path to mainstream success if it started stronger imo.

You buy items to put yourself on the map, one of the first items you can buy up @ dirt.

I like that you have to find a guy first. I also like if you get the items you update your map.

MartyStu

You buy items to put yourself on the map, one of the first items you can buy up @ dirt.

I like that you have to find a guy first. I also like if you get the items you update your map.

I did not start out liking it, am I am still not sure I do, but I respect it as a design decision.

Caved and brought ahead of the switch release, just lost all the money i earned so far in some pink area ):
edit: and theres some black barrier blocking the way i wanted to go anyway -_____-

d00d3n

S
oul
M
aster
was a really fun boss fight. Hectic, but totally manageable if you have some skills in dashing and air dashing. The surprise was fucked up! Still managed to one shot him, though

Depends on how you define tight. The map design for Ori and Momodora IV is streamlined, but ultimately felt very straight-forward in how you have little reason to ever revisit its (throw-away) areas once you overcome whatever functions as a gatekeeper for a key item or passage. While this could be perceived as cutting the fat, both these games lack the degree of enticing "oh I can go here later!" foreshadowing found in Hollow Knight, never mind wrap-arounds that connect one area to another and properly function as a shortcut, frequently without the use of the fast-travel stations. It really makes use (of the allotted space) to the fullest; the clever density is what I find "tight" about, though naturally your mileage may vary.

Whatever the case may be, I'm just rambling about semantics again.

S
oul
M
aster
was a really fun boss fight. Hectic, but totally manageable if you have some skills in dashing and air dashing. The surprise was fucked up! Still managed to one shot him, though
Hint now that you defeated it:
be sure to revisit its corpse

Hexer06

2 hours in and I'm liking it so far. At first I wasn't sure if I liked how the map system works, but I've come to terms with it. I thought it was a somewhat fresh take on it, so I give them props for that at least. :D

Is it worth buying that key that costs 900+? I'm assuming it unlocks the door to the right of the main city?

Caved and bought the pc version. I was going to wait for the switch release... but this game looked so good to me.
And I was right, five hours in and I'm loving it. Playing with the xbox dpad hurts my thumb but it's worth it.

I'll double dip when they release in on the Switch because I can totally see myself playing through this twice.

So after watching some more playthroughs I think there's something to be implied by the blue lifeblood. I honestly think
the reason it's always so nice and calming and the charms are located in sections like that, or as with Joni, is due to it being a new type of light that isn't the spoiled and diseased Radiance or the false light of the Wyrm but is a new and good one. Which is why Joni is a heretic and probably why the others are traitors as well

Yarp, ive been looking at its sales every week, game's been picking up about 15k new sales every week. Surprisingly evenly divided.

Still only 14 critic reviews on metacritic, so plenty of exposure left too.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to rant about a certain location. Feel free to ignore the below. It has got to be the most ANNOYING FUCKING THING IN THE GAME. I'm sure everyone knows where I'm talking about that has been there.

FUCK
THE WHITE PALACE
God DAMN did it feel good to get out of there. Fuck that part of the game and I will never ever be going back. That thing alone will stop me from ever wanting to achieve 100% in this game. If the challenge in the colleseum is worse than that, then fuck that.

Sorry, had to vent. I got out but damn if that wasn't shitty and frustrating.

FoxSpirit

Just wanted to rant about a certain location. Feel free to ignore the below. It has got to be the most ANNOYING FUCKING THING IN THE GAME. I'm sure everyone knows where I'm talking about that has been there.

FUCK
THE WHITE PALACE
God DAMN did it feel good to get out of there. Fuck that part of the game and I will never ever be going back. That thing alone will stop me from ever wanting to achieve 100% in this game. If the challenge in the colleseum is worse than that, then fuck that.

With the right charms you literally have infinite health for the task.

jimboton

FUCK
THE WHITE PALACE

The only thing wrong with that place is that there are no more areas like it.

gelf

With the right charms you literally have infinite health for the task.
Infinite health doesn't stop the frustration at all. I may have been hit and sent back to the same spot 50 plus times before I lucked my way through one segment of traps. I nearly gave up as I honestly thought it was beyond my ability to get through it even with infinite attempts.

Shredderi

Few hours in and I'm loving the game. It has a remarkable atmosphere for a 2D game. The friendly bugs in the game are adorable as well. I also like the custom made language they speak :D

FoxSpirit

Infinite health doesn't stop the frustration at all. I may have been hit and sent back to the same spot 50 plus times before I lucked my way through one segment of traps. I nearly gave up as I honestly thought it was beyond my ability to get through it even with infinite attempts.
I guess you mean
the corridor of bullshit? Where you have to walk between the sawblades? Because that was the one places I found a bit imbalanced, died around 40 times there.

Cels

i'm not sure how much of the game is left, probably like 60%? someone hint at it to me without spoiling me please

i've fought these bosses
false knight
dung defender
soul master
mantis lords

also after acquiring a certain weapon
dream nail
the
seer
unlocked an area for me. I went in there and
there are a bunch of graves with ghosts over them. i whacked them all with the dream nail. did i fuck up?

Hexer06

i'm not sure how much of the game is left, probably like 60%? someone hint at it to me without spoiling me please

i've fought these bosses
false knight
dung defender
soul master
mantis lords

also after acquiring a certain weapon
dream nail
the
seer
unlocked an area for me. I went in there and
there are a bunch of graves with ghosts over them. i whacked them all with the dream nail. did i fuck up?

I did the same thing in that unlocked area. Would love to know.
On a side note - I stored all my money in the banker. I then freaked the fuck out when
she went missing!
Couldn't believe that, but I got my money back (and more) so I'm okay. :D

gelf

I guess you mean
the corridor of bullshit? Where you have to walk between the sawblades? Because that was the one places I found a bit imbalanced, died around 40 times there.
Yeah sounds like the same spot I had the biggest issues with.
I think it was 3 or 4 small vertical blades with very little gap between followed by a jump between one giant floor blade and two smaller moving ones above it. I couldn't even see how to make that jump safely.
Completely fluked it in the end.

Some other spots where pretty painful too though.

Corpekata

Banned
I've been lost like the last 4 hours I've been playing. But still discovering loads of new interesting and /or optional content, which goes to show just how much there is to do.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah sounds like the same spot I had the biggest issues with.
I think it was 3 or 4 small vertical blades with very little gap between followed by a jump between one giant floor blade and two smaller moving ones above it. I couldn't even see how to make that jump safely.
Completely fluked it in the end.

Some other spots where pretty painful too though.

This was the EASILY the most frustrating part of that area.

Look I get it. If I die because I'm bad at jumping or don't have the abilities needed or I didn't learn an enemy pattern fine. That's on me. But if I die because I was .1 pixel to the left of the location I was aiming for the whole time because my thumb wasn't held down for an extra 1/50th of a second. Get out. That is some bullshit.

D
eepnest
is a hellhole.

On the brighter note: the more I'm approaching the final stretch, the more Hollow Knight solidifies its position of becoming a personal favorite not only for an already strong 2017 and the genre wholesale, but also for all-time. I admire how many little details the devs meticulously crammed into this largely for the sake of giving the world you explore more (cultural) identity, in spite of the fact it takes practically no effort at all to easily miss 'em. Bonus points for them usually having been questions I asked myself very early on and originally not expecting much of an answer, like why
the grubs are stuck in jars in the first place
, if there was anything special
about Quirrel's mask
, whether those blue butterflies / pods
had a traceable origin
and more examples. Really heightens the drive to explore while also painting a compelling picture of Hallownest previously having been lived in, as cliché of a buzz phrase that is, without the use of perpetual NPC routines bigger budget titles tend to use en masse. Small, cute personality touches too like the charm which emits "heroic odor" changing
what certain characters have to say to you
or Bretta
fidgeting more and eventually blushing if you sit next to her on the bench for a while, subsequently writing fan fiction about it
. Team Cherry stuck to a singular vision (with muted foreshadowing galore) and truly fleshed it out on various fronts, be they dedicated or superfluous to either the main story arc or core gameplay. Nothing but respect for these guys.

vdfqec.gif

Have yet to solve the mystery of
the giant tickle butt
in K
ingdom's Edge
though...

Ten hours in and so far this is a serious game of the year contender for me. It even managed to pry me away from BOTW.
It's completely nutso to me how a group of three people managed to create such a fun, charming, brutally difficult (but never unfair) and completely engaging experience.

I think this might even replace Shovel Knight as my favourite indie game.

... Bretta
fidgeting more and eventually blushing if you sit next to her on the bench for a while, subsequently writing fan fiction about it
vdfqec.gif

Wow, even after 33 hours and getting 100%, there are small things I completely miss out on that are so cool.

A couple other NPC interactions I missed out on during my playthrough that I've seen while watching BaerTaffy play:

• There's some additional dialogue with D
    ung
    D
    efender
    if you go back to his area later on.
  • There's a hidden merchant in R
    oyal
    W
    aterways
    that sells
    Rancid Eggs

Have yet to solve the mystery of
the giant tickle butt
in K
ingdom's Edge
though...

Once you have
double jump you should be able to find the owner of said butt.

Top Bottom