• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic unveils Yooka-Laylee (Banjo Kazooie successor) [Kickstarter LIVE - Funded]

Neiteio

I wonder if we'll get to unfurl the chameleon's tail and use it in some way. Hanging from tree branches, perhaps?

JazzmanZ

That bat is one shade away from being the one from Anastasia
CQf2dPT.gif

Easy_D

never left the stone age
First Kickstarter I back. The wait for the finished game will be rough though :lol.
I'm glad they put it at the end of the month so I know I'll have the money when the kickstarter ends

I like the character design, but I was hoping one of the two would be a girl like Kazooie.

This will still be the first kickstarter I back.

Laylee has a feminine ring to it. The bat could be a grill bat

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
The characters will grow on me, but Laylee's expressions are absolutely adorable.

The video looked incredible.

If I get enough cash next month I will absolutely pledge to this.

Love the design, new the bottom would be a reptile. Was not expecting a bat, but Laylee is already mad adorable. Will buy Day one. It will be coming to xbone, right?

Neiteio

A grappling hook tongue makes me think of Yoshi's tongue in Super Mario Galaxy 2. The flutter jump also seems Yoshi-esque.

That roll move, where the partner runs on your back, is straight from Retro's DK games.

Consciously or subconsciously, they're borrowing inspiration from all the right places.

This isn't even being subtle lol, they're going full on "off brand" Banjo-Kazooie.

Getting strong Mighty Number 9 vibes from the entire project. Teetering around similar designs from the IP they don't own, while being just off enough to not get in trouble.

I think Laylee is a girl. I can't imagine Laylee would be a guy's name haha.

Laylee is a guy. Their description says he lifts his partner.
Laylee can pick up his partner

Can't say I'm fond of them. Yooka reminds me too much of Chameleon Twist/Gex/Croc and all those other late 90s also-ran platformer characters, they just don't have the same spark that Banjo and Kazooie did. Might be something to do with how plain the design is, they have no clothing - which by itself isn't an issue if you look at Sonic - but they also have no real standout features, it just looks like a cartoon chameleon.

hydruxo

This isn't even being subtle lol, they're going full on "off brand" Banjo-Kazooie.

Getting strong Mighty Number 9 vibes from the entire project. Teetering around similar designs from the IP they don't own, while being just off enough to not get in trouble.

Laylee is a guy. Their description says he lifts his partner.

On IGN it says 'Laylee can pick up ITS partner'

Using their unique abilities, the two characters work together to fight enemies and traverse the world around them. Yooka, being a lizard, uses his tongue like a grappling hook, while Laylee can pick up its partner and fly for a short period of time or unleash a sonar blast. The duo have a variety of moves to draw upon. You can see the characters in action in the news video up above.

Neiteio

I don't mind them both being guys. You may recall another famous Rare duo that were bros:

donkey-kong-country-returns.jpg

edit: Although now I see the media have conflicting reports on the gender?

Footage looks hot. So having a Chameleon means stealth sections where we have to blend in with the environment to sneak by enemies?

Top Bottom