• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight |OT| Cute Insects That Just Want to Burrow Into Your Heart

Five

Banned
Is the nail your only weapon or you get more or you upgrade it?

Weapons in the game

nail, which can have its base damage upgraded on three different occasions and has different charms that can be applied which alter its range, power and stability. After the first boss you get the fireball which can have charms be applied to effect its range, damage and shape. Later there's a down-smash ability you get. Finally, some charms add area of effect damage to either your healing focus or after you get it.

You're funny :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Weapons in the game

nail, which can have its base damage upgraded on three different occasions and has different charms that can be applied which alter its range, power and stability. After the first boss you get the fireball which can have charms be applied to effect its range, damage and shape. Later there's a down-smash ability you get. Finally, some charms add area of effect damage to either your healing focus or after you get it.

You're funny :)

what are the pet / summon style things that the trailer showed then?

Five

Banned
what are the pet / summon style things that the trailer showed then?

That's a charm that modifies/replaces your fireball.

You only have a few slots for charms, and there are about fifty different charms to discover IIRC, and some charms take multiple slots, so you can't just overload on all the charms and get OP.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
watching Nabs play, he just got to some
fungal
zone, man this game looks so fucking pretty o_O

ultrazilla

Instant bought this on Steam.

Folks, this game. THIS GAME! Simply amazing atmosphere. Spot on controls, hand drawn 2D graphics, rock solid frame rates at 1080p(it's Unity so I'm always leery of frame rate hiccups).

The music is God tier and for only $15....I mean what are you waiting for?

As soon as the intro started I fell in love. This game had been on my radar for awhile. Never backed it on Kickstarter(should have damn it) but had always kept on eye on development updates here and there patiently waiting.....

So kudos to the development team, all of you! I hope they're reading this! I bought this is a birthday present for myself as I turned 45 today. :)

Into the darkness, now I go, with Hollow Knight....into the vast unknown.........

Jharp

So tempted to buy this game, but after hear hearing it's 30 hours long, I can't justify picking it up while I need to wrap up Nioh before the gauntlet of Zelda, Ghost Recon, and Mass Effect. I look forward to playing it sometime in May :p

Rhaknar

watching the Nabs stream, he went from the initial zone, then through a
fungal
zone, and then through a
grassy
zone, and they all looked very different from one another.

There is a thematic look to the overall game, sure, but Im not getting the "zones all look the same" vibe some people are getting :/

the game looks absolutely ridiculous tho, there are SO many little details everywhere, and not just in backgrounds, like little animations and shit. What the actual fuck?

I hope the Switch version hits sooner rather than later. I feel now is the time for indie games to strike and make a ton since the Switch release schedule is so empty the first few months.

Fast RMX and Shovel Knight are going to make so much money for being the first available on launch day.

DrArchon

I've put in about 100 minutes so far if Steam is to be believed. Really enjoying this so far. Just gorgeous to look at and listen to, and really fun to play as well.

Regarding maps,
I wish they made it more clear that you had to go back to town to get new maps. I went through what felt like most of Greenpath + a boss before I decided to give up on looking for a map and went back to town. I thought I'd find they guy who sold you the first map down there somewhere and kept exploring for him.

Now that I now the gist, I should have a lot easier of a time with new areas.

Stoze

I'm about 6 and a half hours in. I think it's fantastic and is so far living up to my expectations from the demo. I just got
Mantis Claw and the Dash Master charm
, traversal is on a whole other level now.

Five

Banned
I've put in about 100 minutes so far if Steam is to be believed. Really enjoying this so far. Just gorgeous to look at and listen to, and really fun to play as well.

Regarding maps,
I wish they made it more clear that you had to go back to town to get new maps. I went through what felt like most of Greenpath + a boss before I decided to give up on looking for a map and went back to town. I thought I'd find they guy who sold you the first map down there somewhere and kept exploring for him.

Now that I now the gist, I should have a lot easier of a time with new areas.

You just missed where he was on the map. Cornelius can always be found somewhere in the stage, usually on a side path in the first third or so of the area.

DrArchon

You just missed where he was on the map. Cornelius can always be found somewhere in the stage, usually on a side path in the first third or so of the area.

Really? I'll keep that in mind. It'd be nice to not have to run back when I get to a new area.

Five

Banned
Really? I'll keep that in mind. It'd be nice to not have to run back when I get to a new area.

There's actually one exception to this, which is the fungal wastes. But everywhere else yeah. There's a lot of loot to be found by exploring all the side paths strewn throughout the game, especially new charms and geo caches, so it really pays off to explore thoroughly.

Rhaknar

yeah I just saw Nabs find him in the actual zone earlier on his stream

DrArchon

There's actually one exception to this, which is the fungal wastes. But everywhere else yeah. There's a lot of loot to be found by exploring all the side paths strewn throughout the game, especially new charms and geo caches, so it really pays off to explore thoroughly.

Oh, I love exploring. I can't help but look for the trapped grubs because they're so cute and I feel bad for them. I was just getting super lost in Greenpath because I couldn't find the map guy.

I'm like 20 minutes in and I'm ADORING this game.

Metroidvania's are my favorite genre and I love the tone/lore of Souls games and this game is NAILING both so hard it's making me freak out while playing it.

It's just...so well done.

Also, the main character is A CUTE

Five

Banned
yeah I just saw Nabs find him in the actual zone earlier on his stream

Do you have a link? I don't see a Nabs in the Twitch directory.

Oh, I love exploring. I can't help but look for the trapped grubs because they're so cute and I feel bad for them. I was just getting super lost in Greenpath because I couldn't find the map guy.

Oh, great! Yeah, I was telling Jb1234 I think they intentionally made Greenpath easier to get lost in when compared to the other dozen areas. Either that or you just eventually get a hang for the way levels are laid out.

Rhaknar

Do you have a link? I don't see a Nabs in the Twitch directory.

Oh, great! Yeah, I was telling Jb I think they intentionally made Greenpath easier to get lost in. Either that or you just eventually get a hang for the way levels are laid out.

oh sorry I just use the steam thing to just watch him play directly, I dont think hes on twitch

omg this cute little mining bug that stutters

OMG THIS CUTE LITTLE WORM IN A GLASS BOTTLE THAT GETS EXCITED WHEN I JUMP NEAR IT BUT WHEN I CAN'T REACH THE LEDGE IT LETS OUT A SAD NOISE OH GOD

*hyperventilates*

PaulloDEC

After hearing the game was 9gb I decided to get up early to start downloading the game. Got up hours later to find it was only 1.5gb anyway. Doh.

Played about an hour and a half so far, and I'm really liking it. Tight controls, amazing atmosphere, really cool labyrinthine environments. Keen to play more.

AriEX2

Oh geez! Thanks dancrane212 for the OT! Super humbled. Thanks to everyone else for jumping into the game.

Looks pretty cool. Might get it on Switch later. 9GB sounds like a crazy large size though... Is it using uncompressed audio or something?

We've gotta update this FunkyDealer! I think final unpack size is more like 5gig-ish. Download is 1.2. I can't remember when we put this info on Steam. Everything's kinda a blur after the intense last month! We'll get it updated today.

Edit: Woop! Oh boy JaseC is right. I just looked myself. Wow, game size blew up! All that 2D animation. So many frames!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
We've gotta update this FunkyDealer! I think final unpack size is more like 5gig-ish. Download is 1.2. I can't remember when we put this info on Steam. Everything's kinda a blur after the intense last month! We'll get it updated today.

The 9GB requirement is correct; the install size is 8.68GB (or 9.1GB with the OST).

I am single-handedly keeping the Hallownest sign, gate and street lamp economy afloat.

OMG I love the idea of having the map be this upgradable thing.

Jobbs

Banned
AGH HOLY SHIT

I NEED GIFS

GIFS OF CUTE BUGS

Most the gifs I took are probably too spoilery, but you can have some maggots

KYFsB7q.gif

I'm afraid that the framerate on switch might not be stable 60
Hopefully, the unity port is good then it should perform decently. PC is hampered by unity and what appears to be DX9 which is funny considering the minimum requirements is a DX10 card but whatever. Unity and DX9 slowness would explain the occasional frame stutters.

DrArchon

Oh man, just did this optional section in Greenpath where I
air-dashed over boiling water onto a big bug that I pogo'd off of like Scrooge McDuck, and then I did it two more times ON MY FIRST TRY to save a grub in a jar.

Probably nothing, but it made me feel really really good to nail that on the first go.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hopefully, the unity port is good then it should perform decently. PC is hampered by unity and what appears to be DX9 which is funny considering the minimum requirements is a DX10 card but whatever. Unity and DX9 slowness would explain the occasional frame stutters.

It's DX10/11, but DX9 can be forced with the launch parameter -force-d3d9.

The design philosophy in this game is wonderful and beautiful...I could write like...a paper on the things it's doing, like how it introduces you to concepts such as certain bosses by making them look similar to enemies so you know what their moveset might entail and then it's taken to the Nth degree so you still have to learn and adjust to hitting you with cheap shit early on or at some point so that you can then be knowledgeable about it from that point forward which is okay in a game like this because the health regen system is far more forgiving yet still requires you to be active, as well as how in a game with this design it's significantly a better idea than an Estus Flask system.

Like, I'm barely in this game but the design is fucking tight as shit and smart and it makes me feel things.

That framerate stutter is a literal killer, especially during boss fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxT8npe9b9s&feature=youtu.be

Anyway, making progress. Not sure where to place this city crest, but now I can buy a key. Defeated a couple more bosses. I really do like the combat, even if it's simple. The animations and character designs are top-notch.
Yup, had some fierce freeze frame action going on too. Weird thing I didn't have this issue at all or at least with less severity in the closed beta from ages ago (not the one from the Humble Bundle) so it's rather unfortunate it popped up now. Devs apparently are working on these issues though.

lol, what did you do? (I've seen the whole game so I'm curious if it's an actual break)

Spoilering in case:

In the Greenpath I went the lower route past the Hunter and found a water pit that was just a little too out of reach but had an enemy walking back and forth in it. I thought that the way to get across was to jump on his back and he'd carry you but he just did damage instead. So I jumped on him and hit the air recovery after taking damage and boosted off him onto the ledge I couldn't make. I then proceeded into the Jellyfish area.

The titular Hollow Knight has such a simple but effective and memorable design

I hope he becomes the next big indie cameo character

Five

Banned
Spoilering in case:

In the Greenpath I went the lower route past the Hunter and found a water pit that was just a little too out of reach but had an enemy walking back and forth in it. I thought that the way to get across was to jump on his back and he'd carry you but he just did damage instead. So I jumped on him and hit the air recovery after taking damage and boosted off him onto the ledge I couldn't make. I then proceeded into the Jellyfish area.

You're supposed to down attack on his back to bounce off of him. That's part of the intended path.

Top Bottom