• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark application for Nintendo 64 controller and more

KiNolin

My completely reasonable, super-conservative, barebones guess:

Super Smash Bros.
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Paper Mario
Yoshi's Story
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
F-Zero X / Expansion Kit
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Star Fox 64
Pilotwings 64
Wave Race 64
Excitebike 64
1080 Snowboarding
Pokemon Puzzle League
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon Stadium 2
Sin & Punishment
Blast Corps
Killer Instinct Gold
Goldeneye 007
Diddy Kong Racing
Banjo-Kazooie
Jet Force Gemini
Donkey Kong 64
Banjo-Tooie
Perfect Dark
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Beetle Adventure Racing
Harvest Moon 64
Iggy's Reckin' Balls
Tetrisphere
Mischief Makers
Bomberman 64
Bomberman Hero
Bomberman 64: The Second Attack
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Goemon's Great Adventure
Space Station Silicon Valley
Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Ogre Battle 64
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Episode One Racer

I wish

Even a dream list in jest looks weak. The SNES Mini fully embodies the generation it came from, while the N64 simply doesn't. Even the NES Mini only got appealing because of the 3rd party support that N64 doesn't have. It's the point where Nintendo became the provider for secondary consoles only, while PS1 carries the most important IP for nostalgia. And even among the handful of significant N64 games, many of them rely on goodwill from Microsoft - or worse. A casual N64 fan would certainly want to boot up Goldeneye not long after OoT... which is probably going to be impossible.

They could do a Game Boy Mini.

Ideally, it would compile games across all generations of GB, from the original to Advance.

Stuff like Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, etc, all on one system.

This probably comes up every tangential thread but I think there's at least enough on the Game Boy Color to stand on its own without including Advance games. Some would argue original GB could too, but GBC had some good remasters of classic GB games already.

kromeo

GBA mini is probably the only one of these things I would buy, the GBA I had was long since thrown out and the games look horrible on a full size screen

I wonder if Microsoft would be willing to cooperate regarding licensing Rare games. A retro microconsole with lreloaded games isn't exactly competing with the Xbox.

G0523

Reposting from the N64 Classic Speculation Thread:

Wouldn't Nintendo and/or Microsoft have to put more work into making Rare's N64 games "look" like they originally did? Or would Nintendo allow those games to run as their HD remasters? I know Rare decided to use a third-party emulator for porting their games to Rare Replay on Xbox One, and Nintendo would be strongly against that. I imagine Nintendo just wants to treat the inevitable N64 Classic Edition as a big ROM dump like they did with the others. So, in that case, I can see a list like this:

-1080 Snowboarding
-Bomberman 64
-Cruisin' USA
-Donkey Kong 64
-Excitebike 64
-F-Zero X
-Harvest Moon 64
-Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
-The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
-Mario Kart 64
-Mario Party 2
-Ogre Battle 64
-Paper Mario
-Sin and Punishment
-Starfox 64
-Super Mario 64
-Super Smash Bros.
-Wave Race 64
-Yoshi's Story

Just basically see what's already on the Wii and Wii U Virtual Console and go from there. I would also be very surprised if Nintendo put 20 games on the N64 Classic Edition. I can see them doing 10 or 15.

Macka

What's even the point?

They almost definitely won't get GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Conker's Bad Fury Day or Jet Set Gemini.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask have both received truly definitive remasters on the 3DS. Star Fox 64 had that treatment to a lesser degree as well.

Msyjsm

Either way, this is cool – really hope Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is on here (GOAT platformer)

I've never seen Goemon referred to as a platformer...but I suppose it kind of is. The platforming in it is honestly very average though.

I find it has more in common with the 3D Zeldas (items, exploration, dungeons, hell even the silver/gold fortune dolls imitate the pieces of heart/heart container mechanic exactly), except zanier and with a catchier soundtrack.

PLAAAAASUMAAAAAAAAAA.

AGITΩ

This is how they'll release Mother 3. In its Glorious Development hell'd N64 version.

Time to camp out a year and a half in advance.

Nategc20

Banned
Im pretty sure whatever released on the wii for the N64 VC will instantly be on the mini. That being said, there are slim picks with the licenses from wrestling titles and rareware games. Like very slim.

(mat)

Even if they COULD include Rare titles, I wouldn't want them to. I hate those games. Rare has never made a single good game ever.

nkarafo

Even if they COULD include Rare titles, I wouldn't want them to. I hate those games. Rare has never made a single good game ever.

image.php

I've never seen Goemon referred to as a platformer...but I suppose it kind of is. The platforming in it is honestly very average though.

I find it has more in common with the 3D Zeldas (items, exploration, dungeons, hell even the silver/gold fortune dolls imitate the pieces of heart/heart container mechanic exactly), except zanier and with a catchier soundtrack.

PLAAAAASUMAAAAAAAAAA.

It's not mainly a platformer but it definitely has platforming elements which work well because the controls are so tight and responsive. It's amazing how underrated it is considering it's a better game than Ocarina of Time (better music, 4 characters with their own weapons and styles, IMPACT battles, and a larger world).

shandy706

N64 mini without Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Banjo-Kazooie?

Eh, ok.

Goldeneye is the one I' wish we could get. I've got the others on Rare Replay on X1.

Hopefully they could work something out and we could get Beetle Adventure Racing and/or Diddy Kong Racing.

kc44135

I want the Virtual Console though :( No more minis!

Yeah, I hate the idea that I'll have to buy a bunch of mini systems as a replacement for VC, and I hope that's not what Nintendo is planning to do. I hate the clutter, I hate the N64 controller, I hate that these systems are so hard to find, and above all, I hate that these systems launch with incomplete libraries and no options whatsoever for expanding them. Love playing Castlevania 1 and 2 on your NES Classic, but want to play Castlevania 3? You're out of luck there, partner. Love playing Donkey Kong Country on your SNES Classic, but want to play DKC2 and 3? Too bad, never happening.

Ugh, I just want an actual VC on my Switch. So much more convenient, and (hopefully) a larger, more complete library of games to choose from over time, not to mention portability. Nintendo pls.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Tetrisphere better be on this thing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd prefer it with Goldeneye and PD but even with no Rare games it's not hard to find 20-30 good N64 games.

It's basically what they put on the Wii and Wii U VC. Especially the Wii U one with Bomberman and Harvest Moon 64 finally making an appearance.

iMerc

Rare were a huge part of the n64, but the n64 was plenty awesome even without their input.
Don't get me wrong, this is the gen nintendo lost their hold on 3rd party support, but off the top of my head there were still some good games they could tap into:

-Beetle Adventure Racing
-Bomberman 64 & Bomberman Hero
-Castlevania LoD
-Daikatana (i'm kidding)
-Hybrid Heaven
-International Superstar Soccer
-Mischief Makers
-Mortal Kombat 4
-Mystical Ninja starring Goemon
-Quake 2
-Ridge Racer 64
-San Franscisco Rush 2
-Star Wars Rogue Squadron
-Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
-Star Wars Episode 1 racer
-Tetrisphere
-Turok 1,2,3
-Wayne Gretsky's 3d hockey

The only difference is most of those were made by western devs.
if you look at the library of the NES & SNES mini, western devs were largely ignored in the library, so i don't know if nintendo will be chatting to them or not.

Ganondolf

Yeah, I hate the idea that I'll have to buy a bunch of mini systems as a replacement for VC, and I hope that's not what Nintendo is planning to do. I hate the clutter, I hate the N64 controller, I hate that these systems are so hard to find, and above all, I hate that these systems launch with incomplete libraries and no options whatsoever for expanding them. Love playing Castlevania 1 and 2 on your NES Classic, but want to play Castlevania 3? You're out of luck there. Love playing Donkey Kong Country in your SNES Classic, but want to play DKC2 and 3? Too bad, never happening.

Ugh, I just want an actual VC on my Switch. So much more convenient, and (hopefully) a larger, more complete library of games to choose from over time, not to mention portability. Nintendo pls.

At least we know that Nintendo have a emulator for Nes and Snes ready and a n64 emulator is done or will be by next year. All they need to do is port then to the switch which should be easy considering they are both ARM based

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
An N64 mini would be the one classic I'd pay scalper prices for. N64 is my favorite console of all time, so I'd do terrible things for one.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Rogue Squadron better be on this, Shadows of the Empire hopefully makes it too.

My first thought as well, I don't know what state the rights are in though. I was certain that Super Star Wars would be on the SNES mini so this doesn't bode well.

TannerDemoz

PLAAAAASUMAAAAAAAAAA.

Yeah, fair point. Still has plenty of platforming areas though and I think a lot of them were great.

It had a huge world as far as I remember, and is literally so underrated. It's great to see so many people singing its praises!

I've got the village theme at the start of the game now looping in my head as a result...

MarioLinkSamus

not a fan of Ashley Madison. Digs her website tho
I just got off the phone with Miyamoto guys. Here's what we got for the 64 mini:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Super Mario 64
GoldenEye 007*
Perfect Dark*#
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Banjo-Kazooie*
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Banjo-Tooie*
Wave Race 64
NFL Blitz^
1080: TenEighty Snowboarding
Beetle Adventure Racing
Excitebike 64
Star Fox 64
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil#
Blast Corps
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Paper Mario
Diddy Kong Racing
F-Zero X
Pilotwings 64
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf %
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Mario Kart 64
Donkey Kong 64*#
WipeOut 64
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Tetrisphere
San Francisco Rush 2049
WWF No Mercy %
Space Station Silicon Valley
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron*
Ridge Racer 64

* Negotiations are under way. No guarantees at the moment.
^ Will not include NFLPA license
# Will include expansion pak enhancements
% Special Reggie character included

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Rare were a huge part of the n64, but the n64 was plenty awesome even without their input.
Don't get me wrong, this is the gen nintendo lost their hold on 3rd party support, but off the top of my head there were still some good games they could tap into:

-Beetle Adventure Racing
-Bomberman 64 & Bomberman Hero
-Castlevania LoD
-Daikatana (i'm kidding)
-Hybrid Heaven
-International Superstar Soccer
-Mischief Makers
-Mortal Kombat 4
-Mystical Ninja starring Goemon
-Quake 2
-Ridge Racer 64
-San Franscisco Rush 2
-Star Wars Rogue Squadron
-Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
-Star Wars Episode 1 racer
-Tetrisphere
-Turok 1,2,3
-Wayne Gretsky's 3d hockey

The only difference is most of those were made by western devs.
if you look at the library of the NES & SNES mini, western devs were largely ignored in the library, so i don't know if nintendo will be chatting to them or not.

Yep, a ton of good western (or in the case of the THQ/AKI wrestling games West/East reskinning of games) on the N64. A lot of it has to do with how much more powerful it was which attracted certain developers.

Beyond those listed there's also stuff like THPS 1 and 2, Vigilante 8, NFL Blitz, Gauntlet 64 (a great version of this game actually) Duke Nukem 64, DOOM 64, Battle for Naboo, Hexen.

kc44135

At least we know that Nintendo have a emulator for Nes and Snes ready and a n64 emulator is done or will be by next year. All they need to do is port then to the switch which should be easy considering they are both ARM based

I hope so, man. There's been a lot of speculation going around about these mini/classic systems essentially being a replacement for VC, and at first I didn't want to believe it, but I'm admittedly starting to get a bit concerned. As I outlined in my earlier post, these mini systems are a cool idea, but they have some heavy limitations, and frankly just don't appeal to me very much. I know VC implementation with past systems has been far from perfect, but I love the concept of VC and having older classic games (especially Nintendo stuff, which ages like a fine wine) available digitally on modern hardware, especially when said hardware is portable to boot. I'm aware NES emulation has already been announced for Switch, but I just really hope that's not all we're getting here (I wanna play Super Mario Sunshine and Paper Mario: TTYD on my Switch, yo).

Also, back on-topic, do people actually like the N64 controller? Are any of y'all actually looking forward to using that thing again? I'm incredibly nostalgic for the N64 (seeing as it was my first console), and even I don't want to go back to playing games with that Frankenstein's monster, lol.

I never particularly cared for third-party games on N64, so I don't know how many I'd like for this. Rare's games would be a very delightful surprise; obviously, Banjo games are top priority. Much as I love Conker, however, I highly doubt we'll see it considering the audience.

The first Mario Party would also be great since I lost it ages ago and it was always my favorite, although thanks to the control stick controversy I doubt we'll ever see it again. (They can't just change the input, right...?)

Just have Mario 64, both Zeldas, Star Fox, Paper Mario and both Banjos and I'll be fine with whatever else they throw on there.

I think all of the games I'd want on a N64 mini are probably not going to make it, so I can't get very hyped. Put Goemon on this thing though and I won't even give a fuck what else will be on there, have all of my money.

Celine

Even a dream list in jest looks weak. The SNES Mini fully embodies the generation it came from, while the N64 simply doesn't. Even the NES Mini only got appealing because of the 3rd party support that N64 doesn't have. It's the point where Nintendo became the provider for secondary consoles only, while PS1 carries the most important IP for nostalgia. And even among the handful of significant N64 games, many of them rely on goodwill from Microsoft - or worse. A casual N64 fan would certainly want to boot up Goldeneye not long after OoT... which is probably going to be impossible.
Nintendo games on N64 are among the best-sellers of the entire generation so I'm pretty sure there is definitely nostalgia for them (especially in North America).
Of course PS1 has also many iconic games.

Top Bottom