• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2017 | Providing escapism since 2008

You'll probably get some precise title recommendation from our helpful folks at iOSGAF, but you could take a glance at the OPs of the last couple of months. Usually the highlights of the previous months are well chosen by M_B. Just let me tell you, if you keep visiting this thread you will get tons of recommendations.
The OTs are great for finding good games, but it's a bit harder if you're looking for games specifically for iPhone or iPad. Not because a game might not be on one or the other, but because some games are just better suited to play portrait on iPhone or on an iPad's larger screen. Playing portrait on iPad can be a bit awkward but trying to play a game that needs the larger screen on an iPhone can give quite a bad impression.

omg_mjd

Can you guys suggest some more in-depth games on iPhone? Can be single player/multiplayer etc. but preferably something that doesn't use a ton of data as I have a limited data plan and I'd be playing this while out and about away from WiFi.

Titan Quest is on sale right now and it's as deep as it gets for a Diablo 2-like. Plays decently on an iPhone IMO but it's not the smoothest game out there and people have noted problems and bugs so keep that in mind. And it's a PC port so it'll no doubt look better on an iPad.

XCOM is also another deep game. Awesome port and plays smoothly on a 5S (though I've only played Enemy Unknown, I haven't tried the current version Enemy Within.)

Bunga

Thanks for the replies guys, really helpful.

I think my main problem has been wanting to play either ports or critically acclaimed games, e.g. XCOM: Enemy Within, the Telltale games, Bastion etc, i.e. games I want to play on PS4 but just can't get the time at home to sit and play. Because there are just SO many games out there on iOS it's really difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff and find the gems that are just as good as these games but are less 'big name games' if that makes sense?

Thanks for the replies guys, really helpful.

I think my main problem has been wanting to play either ports or critically acclaimed games, e.g. XCOM: Enemy Within, the Telltale games, Bastion etc, i.e. games I want to play on PS4 but just can't get the time at home to sit and play. Because there are just SO many games out there on iOS it's really difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff and find the gems that are just as good as these games but are less 'big name games' if that makes sense?
Most ports are either best played on iPad or only available on iPad

While there are many ports on mobile, the smaller indie games vastly outnumber them and tend to be where the platform shines brightest.

Bunga

Most ports are either best played on iPad or only available on iPad

While there are many ports on mobile, the smaller indie games vastly outnumber them and tend to be where the platform shines brightest.

Maybe I need to bust out the iPad again... we do have one, an older model (not sure which), but it's screen is a little cracked and it has a tendency to flip out on its own and start shaking/selecting stuff on its own from time to time.

Matt Frost

Dear Diary:

Today I didnt play another game either. Third day in a row since I installed Clash Royale. On the border to Arena 4 (a little too strong me for right now). Today I unlocked the Bardbarian Hut and is my new favorite card so far. Going to get that clan chest to level 10. Please someone tell God that I want a Baby Dragon. Common, is a tutorial reward!! I am going to sleep until that Gold chest unlocks.

Peace

What's Hidden Figures (assuming it has nothing to do with the movie)?
I keep getting that name mixed up

I mean, Hidden Folks
HiddenFolks-v0.7-TreetopWalk.png
HiddenFolks-v0.7-Farm.png

awp69

Thanks More_Badass!! It's been a long road fraught with laughter and peril, but we're so proud to have it officially available on iOS now! Hope you girls and guys get a chance to check it out!

Picked it up. Humorous and gory take on the GO formula. Also love the art style. Really fun!

Picked it up. Humorous and gory take on the GO formula. Also love the art style. Really fun!
It's more of a twist on the Quell/Sokoban-style game. The fact that your position is what affects the pieces on the board rather than needing push them around does change the formula in clever ways. The other elements add up quickly too, and the puzzles can get quite challenging

===

Card Thief then and now

===

Motorsports Manager is currently free
Templar Battleforce is down to $6.99
Both are great

okno

Arena 6 is horrible, damn horrible. I think I reached that too fast. But below 6 is too easy and above too hard...

I was trapped in A6 for months! Now that I've reached A7, I'm terrified to play on... When I do, I often find myself ending every match in a deadlock with each of us felling one tower and ending in a tie. Been sitting at 2024 or a while after playing several rounds :/

I dunno about the quality of the iOS port, but if it is as good as the PC version I would highly recommend this game. I was a little mean and critical about this game when it first hit steam, but it completely won me over as I progressed through it and my final conclusion is it is a wonderful and deep little puzzle game with a lovely art style.

Matt Frost

I was trapped in A6 for months! Now that I've reached A7, I'm terrified to play on... When I do, I often find myself ending every match in a deadlock with each of us felling one tower and ending in a tie. Been sitting at 2024 or a while after playing several rounds :/

Yeah I went down to 5 easily. Stuck right now, need better cards to ascend. At least a good legendary

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Got 266 in Card Crawl constructed... feels good.

using Devour, Feast, Fortify, Bounty and Mirror.

Got lucky and got a second mirror off my Devour. Mirrored a Feast I had in my bag, used Feast x 2 on a Fortify getting it to 32 and then Fortified by Bounty to a 35... Mirrored the Bounty and used them at the end for 105 a pop.

So sweet when it all comes together.

OK, I hit 299.

Want to hit 300 and start Card Thief.

chris121580

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on Card Crawl. How steep is the learning curve? I already know how to play solitaire which I see it being compared to

Jarsonot

An oldie but goodie, Space Miner, got updated to 64bit. Great to see the developers still keeping it alive.

Great asteroids-like if you haven't played it, but with a funny story line and upgrades.

awp69

The excellent Red's Kingdom is getting some new content in March:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coeLh-bt1dU

Awesome! Was annoyed at TA's 3/5 review with Carter saying it had "deep flaws". His points about movement not being fast enough was especially pointless. Yes, you have to be quick with some of those timers but to me that made those segments more fun and liked the challenge.

But whatever....

Especially annoying when he gave Slayaway Camp a 5/5! It's a great game too but they are similar in mechanics and don't see the 2 point drop for Red's Kingdom when it actually took it to another level with the open world, story based design.

An oldie but goodie, Space Miner, got updated to 64bit. Great to see the developers still keeping it alive.

Great asteroids-like if you haven't played it, but with a funny story line and upgrades.

Space Miner....That's a name I've not heard in a long time...

This Gaffer speaks truth. If you've never played Space Miner, you must give it a go

I'm currently loving Digby Forever. The card system and shop bring a really fun shakeup to the endless digging gameplay letting you set up a deck that best suited your playstyle. Plus it's just pretty addictive trying to collect many of these cards.

Quick question though, I'm going on a long plane ride tomorrow and need more of these types of games. What are some good portrait/one-handed games that aren't brought up a lot here?

I'm currently loving Digby Forever. The card system and shop bring a really fun shakeup to the endless digging gameplay letting you set up a deck that best suited your playstyle. Plus it's just pretty addictive trying to collect many of these cards.

Quick question though, I'm going on a long plane ride tomorrow and need more of these types of games. What are some good portrait/one-handed games that aren't brought up a lot here?
Most are puzzlers:

Swap Sword
Swapperoo
Touchtone
99 Bricks
Unmatch
Helsing's Fire
Dwelp
Shapist
Yankai's Triangle

Top Bottom