• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Neiteio

Guys, not to be a "buzz kill" but I really think you're doing the game a disservice lying about the number of chapters. I know how you're trying to make the experience "better" by letting the game surprise people with its scope, but in actuality you're driving people away from the game by making them think it's a third of what it is. Thus, some of them won't get a chance to be surprised since they won't even try the game. o_O

So, for those concerned and who want to know the truth, the real number of chapters is
. Don't highlight if you don't want to know; just rest assured you'll be playing this one for a long time. :)

And before the whiners weigh in: If people care enough to ask, they might as well know. I knew the number of chapters going in and the game continued to astound me regardless. Nothing was spoiled knowing the number of chapters. :)

DNF

Just something I sketched up on my free time. I just like the
female
characters in this game so much. I'll get to coloring and finishing it up eventually...

you get my vote for the "spoiler tag of the year"-award.
also wow at your drawing skills.

so far the only bad thing i can think of this game, is that there are speed run missions, but there is no in game timer.

everything else seems well-balanced. i really like
1. the fact that you can earn
feathers
so you can still beat missions that would be too hard for someone
2. you can fusion tens of weak weapons (and cheap) to create a really good one .
3. the dialogues between pit and the gods

Giolon

There are 9 chapters. Also, the best way to get used to the controls imo is to repeat Chapter 1 a few times until you get good with the ground controls.

This is false. The actual number of chapters is
. Stop lying to people. People make purchasing decisions off of this kind of information.

See what I mean? See my reply above.

Just something I sketched up on my free time. I just like the
female
characters in this game so much. I'll get to coloring and finishing it up eventually...

I love this.

ShadowNinja64

Neo Member
Alright, so what's the trick to tackling Chapter
on 9.0 Intensity? Honestly, just attempting this level has basically soured the whole game experience for me, seeing as
it's a terrible gimmick level that disposes of all the great gameplay elements from the rest of the game in favor of terrible flight portions, endlessly immediately respawning annoying ass lasers, no special attack to help clear shit away, and tons of cinematic breaks that were cute the first time but incredibly annoying now.

I've been trying to make a weapon to help me have a better shot at this chapter, but unfortunately the loot and fusion RNG has been so terribly unkind to me that I just get frustrated and try it again with my 3 Ranged, Overall Def +6, Recovery Effect +3 Laser Staff. I actually managed to get to the very last portion of the chapter, but of course I died because there's no health refill and I was battered from the previous portion.

Cynosure

I just want to add in my praise.

I started off disappointed purly because of the controls, I'm on one of the last chapters and I'm still getting used to it. But I hung on and omg is this game awesome. The story, dialog, weapons, flight scenery....mind blown, AAA title, wishing for a sequal, etc.

I've enjoyed it more than Mario Land 3D.

I don't think I'v ever laughed so much playing a videogame before.
Just on the top of head right now
- Thanatos "now approaching 3rd floor" and his bat sounds
- Hades.
- Pit alone inside Hades impersates Plautena
lmao

Neiteio

Neiteio continues to be the worst poster in this thread :(
You know, I sincerely like reading your posts, Riposte, but I don't know why you rag on me for pointing out, only twice, that I think it's wrong to give potential buyers the wrong impression about this game. There are no pleasant surprises if they skip the game thinking it's short.

How about this? We don't comment on how many chapters there are at all. Saying there's X number to surprise people is a double-edged sword. Better to just say nothing than say something that will drive people away from a game they might actually like if they try it.

Link1110

Agreed 100%

This game was made with the stylus in mind, not a controller. The way you have to move around and look, would not work with dual sticks.

This worries me then, maybe it's just me, or the screen protector I use but the 3ds touch screen doesn't seem as responsive as the Ds. I've only ever used it for Layton where it was mildly annoying, but I can see rage quitting if i attempted an action game on it. Guess I'll have to see.

Boogiepop

Grah, bows are starting to seem like they suck. I just barely beat chapter 6 on 9.0 with a really supercharged
Phosphora Bow,
but
Chapter 20
is proving impossible because even with 5 range or whatever it has it does like no damage. It just takes so long to kill anything that I end up inevitably getting hit too often myself. I really am not fond of the idea of "beat a level on 9.0 using a specific weapon type" challenges, as you get so settled into your grove that attempting them seems almost impossible.

Of course,
hard boss rush
is far more in my way of reaching 100%.

Kard8p3

Alright, so what's the trick to tackling Chapter
on 9.0 Intensity? Honestly, just attempting this level has basically soured the whole game experience for me, seeing as
it's a terrible gimmick level that disposes of all the great gameplay elements from the rest of the game in favor of terrible flight portions, endlessly immediately respawning annoying ass lasers, no special attack to help clear shit away, and tons of cinematic breaks that were cute the first time but incredibly annoying now.

I've been trying to make a weapon to help me have a better shot at this chapter, but unfortunately the loot and fusion RNG has been so terribly unkind to me that I just get frustrated and try it again with my 3 Ranged, Overall Def +6, Recovery Effect +3 Laser Staff. I actually managed to get to the very last portion of the chapter, but of course I died because there's no health refill and I was battered from the previous portion.

I did this last night.
It's intense but it's not too bad if you're always on the move. The whole time I just moved around so it would be harder to get hit. Outside of that just be quick and accurate with your shots. Also be really careful in the last bit. I had problems because I thought past hades eye lazer but I was closer to it than I thought.

muu

Grah, bows are starting to seem like they suck. I just barely beat chapter 6 on 9.0 with a really supercharged
Phosphora Bow,
but
Chapter 20
is proving impossible because even with 5 range or whatever it has it does like no damage. It just takes so long to kill anything that I end up inevitably getting hit too often myself. I really am not fond of the idea of "beat a level on 9.0 using a specific weapon type" challenges, as you get so settled into your grove that attempting them seems almost impossible.

Of course,
hard boss rush
is far more in my way of reaching 100%.

Could be because you're using the bow that does the least damage per hit (in exchange for accuracy and moving speed)? Angel bow is pretty nice if you want the mad homing along w/ damage, and you should have plenty of those to choose from if you've been doing ch.20.

Neiteio continues to be the worst poster in this thread :(

You bite your tongue. Neiteio is one of the nicest and most agreeable posters I've had the pleasure of chatting with. Don't bring him down just because he "spoiled your fun." I knew that there were
chapters before I even bought the game due to a minor spoiler in Kotaku's review, and knowing its scope actually made me want the game more.

this game just keeps on going :D thats a good thing

lol
the idiot but B^) in me thought the space invaders were gonna be star fox snes enemies and andross the end boss :O , but lol Pyro had to go in and fuse

they keep breaking the forth wall in this game :p lol "gonna go play nintendogs"

TrueBlue

What a magnificent game this is. Bought it Day 1 and haven't stopped playing since. Also beat my first chapter on Intensity 9.0 yesterday. It's not very often a game holds me for so long even after I've finished the main campaign. There's still a lot of stuff I need to do.

Boogiepop

Could be because you're using the bow that does the least damage per hit (in exchange for accuracy and moving speed)? Angel bow is pretty nice if you want the mad homing along w/ damage, and you should have plenty of those to choose from if you've been doing ch.20.

Made a nice Angel Bow and it did in fact do the trick. Thanks.

Anyone have good chapters for the
Exotank, Cherobot, and Ring boxes? Also, does it mean just running into things with the Exotank, or killing them with the boost button speed?

Korosenai

You bite your tongue. Neiteio is one of the nicest and most agreeable posters I've had the pleasure of chatting with. Don't bring him down just because he "spoiled your fun." I knew that there were
chapters before I even bought the game due to a minor spoiler in Kotaku's review, and knowing its scope actually made me want the game more.

This

Grisby

The ground stuff sorta blows so far.

But wow at some of these graphics and bosses. And if they ever release a voiced Zelda they should get the KI team to handle it because the translation and direction has been great.

Boogiepop

So, I just read that I may not need to beat
Boss Battles on hard
after all to get 100%, as it may not factor in. If so, I think I'll just call that a lost cause, as I have yet to even
get past the Great Reaper.
If so, I think I'll just complete the treasure hunt (using a feather for THAT part) and the power portrait.

Is there anyway to increase your odds of getting new powers? I'm currently at like 91% and the new powers have been coming in VERY slowly.

Made a nice Angel Bow and it did in fact do the trick. Thanks.

Anyone have good chapters for the
Exotank, Cherobot, and Ring boxes? Also, does it mean just running into things with the Exotank, or killing them with the boost button speed?

Try Chapter 9
Hewdraw's part. I did all the Ring boxes on that one and the Cherobot ones naturally on the Reset bomb factory. Sadly, I'm just as stuck as you on the Exotank boxes

The actual number is nine, get over it.

0_o at chapter
woof lol

468010-20111223231613.jpg

TrueBlue

Just my overall impressions, spoilered just in case:

Let's start off with the story. Now this is probably the most un-Nintendo story that has ever been put on a Nintendo explain. Now I'm not saying that Nintendo games have never had good and deep stories, the Paper Mario games are testament enough to that, but it's the overall "feel" of the production. I mean just look at the voice cast and the lines upon lines of spoken dialogue, have Nintendo ever really done that before? I mean, you could say that Other M was another example, but Uprising is well...good. Not just good, fantastic, in terms of story.

That's not to say the story is particularly deep, it's very much played like a Saturday morning cartoon, with plots and villains coming at you at a breakneck pace. Seriously, this game doesn't waste time on trivial matters, it gets more and more epic and involved as it progresses. I mean seriously, Medusa is really own a prelude to everything that happens next, and she was meant to be the big bad guy! The story will leave you breathless, perhaps even exhausted.

But My God, the story just soo entertaining to actually witness. I think this is mostly due to the characters. Holy hell did they get this right. Every character, and I literally mean every character is instantly memorable and well-written. This is probably one of the few games in which I can remember each character, even if they appeared for the best part of a few seconds. Not one of these characters is wasted. I would try and list all the best ones, but they're all of such a good standard that it makes it difficult.

Pit, Dark Pit, Viridi, Hades, Medua, Pyrrhon, Thanatos, Pandora, Phosphura, Arlon, Magnus...do you see show many I've listed? And I mean, that's not in any particular order, these characters are just as fanfastic as ever. But of course, if I had to pick out one standout, it would be Palutena. She's just brilliant. The way she teases and even torments Pit is hillarious to watch, but the bond that the two obviously share is heartwarming. It also helps that she has many of the best lines in the script.

That leads me to the writing. Part of what makes the characters so great is the lines they have. This game is hillarious, whether it be through Pit's corny one-liners to some nice Nintendo references, I usually had a big grin on my face whenever the characters spoke. And since the characters speak a lot, you can imagine what I was like most of the time. Again, there are far too many to list in order to give a proper scope to how funny this game is. There really is some brilliant banter here, especially between the various gods and Pit.

But the game doesn't just excel at humor. The way it's written actually gives the characters some nice nuances and hidden depths. Pit and Palutena's relationship. Viridi's hypocritical hatred of humans....these characters aren't just vehicles to spout joke after joke. They all have their own flaws, strengths and weaknesses. A lot of the time this is played for laughs, but it's never treated without care.

The writing highlight (and arguably of the entire game) is Chapter 18. This is probably one of my favourite Nintendo moments ever. It's just breathtaking, seeing Pit so helpless, having his faith in Palutena strained to the very limit. Chapter 18 also remembers to keep the humor, as well as establishing new alliances as well as reinforcing some old ones. The amazing thing is, that despite it being obvious that Palutena is being possessed at this point, the previous chapters make sure to sow that tiny little seed of doubt in your mind. In essence, you go through the same journey as Pit does through the whole chapter, both in terms of gameplay and story. Not many games do this, and to see it happen in a Kid Icarus game of all things? Just wow.

Oh, and the story was also written by Sakurai himself. Y'know, the same guy who gave us the Subspace Emissary. My mind was blown, I seriously hope this guy continues to do so. I would love to see what he could do with Smash Bros.

Voice acting also deserves a lot of credit. Y'see Nintendo, this is what you get when you hire people with a bit of talent and experience. I mean just look at the names on the cast: Ali Hillis, Troy Baker, Kari Wahlgren, Fred Tatasciore, Cree Summer, Hynden Walch....there's a lot of talent on display here, and they all do very well. Even newbies such as Anthony Del Rio (Pit) do a great job. I don't think there was one bad performance in the entire game, which says a lot considering how much these characters talk. Again, standout performance goes to HIllis for Palutena, but again she has the advantage of having so many good lines to play with.

Now enough about story, let's move on to gameplay. As we all probably know, the gameplay is split into three sections: Air, Land, Boss. The air sections are much like Star Fox, in which Pit is on-rails while you shoot and dodge. The ground sections actually have you control Pit on the ground as you make you way to the boss, defeating enemies as you go. The Boss sections is obvious: you fight a boss. Each chapter follows this pattern, but there are some mixups here and there to keep things fresh.

Let me just first say that the air sections are great. Pit controls almost flawlessly as you duck, weave and shoot the oncoming Underworld army. They'll keep you on your toes as well, these enemies don't pussyfoot around. You make mistakes, and you WILL die. Intense stuff.

The ground sections are my favourite part however. Now I know that's probably the minority, but it's probably because I attuned to the controls almost instantly. These sections are just as intense as the air sections, but have much more variety in gameplay. Whether you be storming a fortified castle, plundering a spaceship, or stealthily avoiding Reapers, no ground section is ever the same, and they're exceedingly fun. The bosses are also fantastic, with 25 (yes, you read that correctly) that all require different strategies to defeat. I believe all the bosses are unique as well, though you do fight some bosses more than once. But still, you fight Medusa, Hades, Palutena and Pit! In the same game! It's just mesmerising how many bosses there are, yet they've sacrificed nothing in terms of variety.

Speaking of variety, let me briefly go over the weapon system. Now I haven't unlocked everything yet, not even close,but my god there's a lot of things to blow shit up with in this game. There are 9 weapon types, all with varying strengths and weaknesses that can be suited to your playstyle. From clubs to bows to blades, this game gives a lot of impetus to the player to experiment with what is best to go forward. I believe there are 12 weapons for each class, which equals out to around 108 weapons (don't quote me on that though), add to the fact that you can fuse the weapons to make them stronger, and you have a surprisingly deep weapon system. Did I also mention powers? Things like super-speed, healing, mega lasers...you can kit Pit out with some pretty impressive loadouts, all tailored to how you want to play.

Another way in which the player is given room for experimentation is through the intensity system. I seriously hope future games use this as the standard, because it just works so well. Wanna have a nice gentle stroll through, appreciating the story and set pieces? Go ahead. Want a balls to the walls hardcore experience where one mistake can send Pit to his doom? You can have that too. The game never judges you for playing the way you want, which I think is great. The fact the game accommodates for what you find fun rather than making the player accommodate feels surprisingly fresh. The risk-reward system is also a great incentive to reply, as higher intensity grants you better weapons and more hearts. The highest I've successfully passed is 7. 9 completely owned me. This is the most hardcore game that Nintendo has released in a long time, and if you so choose, you don't even heve to notice it! Genius.

The multiplayer is also frantic and fun. I originally though it would be a throwaway mode, but its reliance on the weapon and powers system give the mode some fantastic depth. It's also nicely balanced in terms of gameplay, with the weapon value taken into account in Light vs Dark mode. You can have the best weapon in the game, but if you mess up, it will cost your team dearly. Like the singleplayer, there's a risk-reward element to the multiplayer, which makes it all the more engaging.

Now for presentation. At this present moment, this is the 3DS equivalent to Mario Galaxy in my eyes. The music is one of the best soundtracks produced by Nintendo. From the kicking orchestra theme, the somber notes of Chapter to 18 to the rocking guitars of the boss music, all the tunes are hugely memorable and very listenable. I especially love Dark Pit's theme and the aforementioned Boss Fight theme. They even use old NES samples to great effect. Amazing stuff. I've already mentioned the great voice acting, so I'll skip to the graphics.

Again with the Mario Galaxy comparison, I think this game is the prettiest on 3DS by far. Okay, it might not be as technically good as something like Revelations, but godamn this game is a sight to behold. The characters animate beautifully, both through their 3D models and the 2D drawn ones on the bottom screen. It helps that the design is mostly spot-on as well. Viridi is adorable. while Hades is flamboyantly macho in this animations and design. The amount of graphical variety is also staggering. From burning towns, space flotillas, azure oceans, and techno palaces, this game is just beautiful in every respect without getting repetitive.

Okay, I think I'm done gushing. Is this game perfect? No. While the controls were easy for me, there is definitely a learning curve to the "spin the globe camera" and aiming. I feel that they have a love it/hate it vibe, which is a crying shame for all those who'll dislike it. They're missing out on one hell of an experience. I didn't get hand cramps personally, but I can totally see why some would. I think a dual-analog option should have been made available, but I hope most will persevere. Other nitpicks could be that the characters talk too much, but personally that's no bother considering the quality of the script. Also, some Chapters run for what feels like forever. It's fine because the game is so fun to me, but others may get a sense of tedium.

But honestly, this game is just stunning. Pure brilliance on every level, Nintendo at its best. Sakurai, I commend you. I eagerly look forward to Smash Bros if you're in this form

Korosenai

Someone turned all of the songs in the game into mp3 form, and then put the whole zip file on youtube, so I downloaded it.

I'm going to listen to every song and I just started at the first chapter.

My ears are ready.

Someone turned all of the songs in the game into mp3 form, and then put the whole zip file on youtube, so I downloaded it.

I'm going to listen to every song and I just started at the first chapter.

My ears are ready.

Enjoy that shizzle. It's filled with joy and love and rainbows. Gets me ready for work in the morning!

muu

There's a room going if anyone is interested.

Add me to your list so I can join: 3995-6507-9912
Anyone else that's been playing and haven't looked at the friendcode list in a while, would appreciate if you can do the same. Went back and plugged people in from there but of the 80 or so I think there's like 5 people that did the same back.

Neiteio

Thanks for the kind words, ScraftyDevil. :)

I've 9.0'd the first five chapters now. I have a loooooooong ways to go to 9.0 them all!

I personally love the ground theme in Chapter

For me, it's the flight theme from
all the way, with Magnus' theme and the Chapter
flight theme coming in close second. I also love Pittoo's theme,
Rings of Chaos (the chapter 18 flight theme)
, Dark Lord Gaol's Castle,
Hades' theme
and... darn well near the rest of the soundtrack. I hopd Nintendo either releases an English OST or sells the music through a major distributor, because this game has the best soundtrack I've heard since Pokémon Black and White.

Neiteio

For me, it's the flight theme from
all the way, with Magnus' theme and the Chapter
flight theme coming in close second. I also love Pittoo's theme,
Rings of Chaos (the chapter 18 flight theme)
, Dark Lord Gaol's Castle,
Hades' theme
and... darn well near the rest of the soundtrack. I hopd Nintendo either releases an English OST or sells the music through a major distributor, because this game has the best soundtrack I've heard since Pokémon Black and White.
That reminds me, I need to finish Pokemon Black. I was super-stoked for the game and happily played it until the 3DS came out, at which point I became addicted to Pilotwings. I need to get back to it. Prior to Kid Icarus' idol collecting, filling out Pokedex 3D was my collect-a-thon obsession, lol. The new Pokemon were all awesome -- especially your namesake Scrafty, with his molted skin forming a gangsta-style hoodie and baggy pants.

...and I was about to go off on a tangent about all of my favorite Pokemon, but I'm getting off-topic, lol. Back to KIU music: In addition to my previous mention, I've developed a real fondness for the flight theme from Chapter 4, "The Reaper's Line of Sight" (especially the bit where you see the Reaper eyes, and the guitar-laden chase through the canyon). I also love the flight theme from
the Chaos Vortex
, especially the heart-wrenchingly desperate bit at the end, and the flight theme from
Chapter 23, when you're going to fight Hades
. I love all of the other themes mentioned in this thread... Heck, I love the whole soundtrack to pieces, lol. Making my car CD and being able to fit only 24 WAVs was painful.

muu

Good game, fun times.

That's my older setup bow, but it's a 5-star shot sagittarius. With energy charge it's got just enough juice to one-shot folks w/o health bonuses. Got a 6-star, DEF+5 one on the Japanese system (Yesasia was taking its sweet little time and the sale at BB convinced me to double dip. That, and
Viridii is so incredibly tsundere and a complete ロリババァ in Japanese, can't have enough of her!
) that I still need to transfer over. Turns out having two systems is awesome, since you can 'back up' a weapon as a gem before you fuse it.

Codeblue

Still using my Laser staff. Only really used for its 6 star ranged that makes short work of any target no matter what the range. PEW!

Is that what that was?

On that circular map with the floating center island, I got turned into the angel, ran until I couldn't see you anymore and I was still trying to dodge beams. I totally didn't anticipate having to deal with that sort of range when I worked on crafting the arm I was using.

abasm

So, why exactly are the chapter numbers spoiler-tagged out, again? It's pretty easy to tell when two digits are blacked out instead of one; anyone who browses this thread even casually could notice, then, that the game has at least 10 chapters.

I only bring this up because it introduces difficulties in parsing out actual spoilers. I'm most of the way through the game, but I can never tell what you guys are spoiler-tagging because you don't mark spoilers with the chapter number. This thread is totally unreadable to anyone who hasn't finished the game.

That reminds me, I need to finish Pokemon Black. I was super-stoked for the game and happily played it until the 3DS came out, at which point I became addicted to Pilotwings. I need to get back to it. Prior to Kid Icarus' idol collecting, filling out Pokedex 3D was my collect-a-thon obsession, lol. The new Pokemon were all awesome -- especially your namesake Scrafty, with his molted skin forming a gangsta-style hoodie and baggy pants.

...and I was about to go off on a tangent about all of my favorite Pokemon, but I'm getting off-topic, lol. Back to KIU music: In addition to my previous mention, I've developed a real fondness for the flight theme from Chapter 4, "The Reaper's Line of Sight" (especially the bit where you see the Reaper eyes, and the guitar-laden chase through the canyon). I also love the flight theme from
the Chaos Vortex
, especially the heart-wrenchingly desperate bit at the end, and the flight theme from
Chapter 23, when you're going to fight Hades
. I love all of the other themes mentioned in this thread... Heck, I love the whole soundtrack to pieces, lol. Making my car CD and being able to fit only 24 WAVs was painful.

I think at this point, it would be easier to list the tracks that didn't blow my mind. 8D

BTW, you should totally finish Black. They do some really clever things with both the story and the music later on in the game. Come join us in the PokéGAF community thread sometime! ;)

So... I just fused for the first time. Been using it in Light vs Dark, and it seems good, but I don't know much.

How is this?

Black Club:

Ranged: 3 stars (what does the outline of one mean?)
Melee: 4 stars.
Value: 272

Overall defense +2
Burning +3
In-peril autododge +2

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So... I just fused for the first time. Been using it in Light vs Dark, and it seems good, but I don't know much.

How is this?

Black Club:

Ranged: 3 stars (what does the outline of one mean?)
Melee: 4 stars.
Value: 272

Overall defense +2
Burning +3
In-peril autododge +2

It'll probably be okay. Clubs can be very powerful, but also pretty tough to use when people can keep their distance. Invisible Shot + Charged shots from Clubs are amazing though.

Is that what that was?

On that circular map with the floating center island, I got turned into the angel, ran until I couldn't see you anymore and I was still trying to dodge beams. I totally didn't anticipate having to anticipate having to deal with that sort of range when I worked on crafting the arm I was using.

Yeah. It can shoot clear across small stages. However its a little hard as you need to aim in advance. It's really the only weapon that can shoot that long, for tons of damage. However it doesn't have any range mods on it so it could shoot even farther!

The regular fire shoots fast enough to peck at targets if I can't wait for its long charge times.

It'll probably be okay. Clubs can be very powerful, but also pretty tough to use when people can keep their distance. Invisible Shot + Charged shots from Clubs are amazing though.

Invisible shot?

And as far as charged shots go, if you mean the giant blocks it launches when I dash forward/back, then yeah, those things destroy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Invisible shot?

And as far as charged shots go, if you mean the giant blocks it launches when I dash forward/back, then yeah, those things destroy.

It's a power that can be obtained. It's really powerful with the Club's charged shots, since most charged shots from clubs are slower, but large and powerful. Club's issues will be keeping up with things like bows and palms that can just dance around you at distance, while your only ranged attack is the charged shot. I love my Babel Club as a support weapon though, juggling people in the wind shots.

Top Bottom