• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready Player One - SDCC Teaser

XS5LK.gif

The movie

except when you don't
pJNqk.gif

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Come with me
And you'll be
In a world of pure imagination

Spielberg made his career in putting maximum effort into cheesy B movies. So he did change the game.

I think this will be pretty damn good.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
you guys should get some screens of those references I'm not seeing, like Duke Nukem and the Halo rifle.

Right after the scorpion ride there's some sort of goon holding what appears to be an AR but it could just be a similar shape.

Spielberg has me interest in this movie if since without a good director this could be a huge mess. I saw Harley Quinn and Deadshot/Deathstroke? in the nightclub looking place.

kulapik

Hey, it's this thing you know: the movie

I dunno. Haven't read the book, dunno if I will. But this is too nerd pandering for my taste.

Enjoyed the books and the Easter Egg Hunt was interesting enough without the mini-games. So I hope Spielberg focuses on the Hunt itself and not on too many action scenes like it seems in the trailer.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It'll be even worse when they do the same with his love interest and miss the whole point of that part of the book.

Well they don't have much opportunity to fuck that up. Cline undermined himself there.

Busty

Banned
Waaaay more VFX than I was expecting but given this evolves around a VR game it makes sense.

I have high hope for this and I'm looking forward to checking this out.

Yeah, I'm in.

The book is just a circle jerk of pop culture references, so expect a lot of that..

While we knew Warners were going to fill this with a lot of old IPs apparently the ones they owned were (unsurprisingly) getting special attention so they potentially use this a vehicle to 'relaunch' some of them.

Even with that in mind I was surprised to see Iron Giant in there. Less so Freddy Kruger. I thought we'd see
Gremlins
and
Thundercats
but they may be holding them back for a later reveal.

Toothless

I feel like the use of Pure Imagination would've worked a lot better if the Berg had actually got Wilder before he passed :(

Otherwise, it looks... okay? I'll see it definitely but looks kinda just like a kid playing with toys rather than a good story here. It's neat to see a bunch of the stuff in the trailer (particularly Iron Giant), but I wanna know how it all fits together

Hey, it's this thing you know: the movie

I dunno. Haven't read the book, dunno if I will. But this is too nerd pandering for my taste.

The book is so much worse when it comes to pandering. I actually liked the book, but it's definitely the book form of the Chris Farley Show. "Hey, remember the movie Ferris Buellers Day Off? That was awesome!"

krang

Right after the scorpion ride there's some sort of goon holding what appears to be an AR but it could just be a similar shape.

How can you possibly tell? Are you some kind of expert on Halo, or something?

Is that an M41 from Halo on the left of that same shot with the AR?

Oh wait, you guys didn't approve that? I figured it must have been something you guys and WB worked out to have it featured.

Cause yeah that looks like a straight up AR

Purkake4

Banned
If you literally put all pop culture together there's no way it can fail, right?

ALT: What Second Life was supposed to be.

ALT bis: Look at all the licenses we got!

krang

Oh wait, you guys didn't approve that? I figured it must have been something you guys and WB worked out to have it featured.

Cause yeah that looks like a straight up AR

Conversely, the Scorpion is such a subtle Halo reference that it might not even be one.

Vyse24

Oh god now I'm thinking about how many people will be pissed over
Aech
. It's gonna happen, I can feel it.

Maxios

I've never actually read the book and know almost nothing about it. Why do people hate it so much? Is it like, Twilight-level trash?

Top Bottom