• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Winds of Winter in 2017. Most likely 2018.

Strimei

No shit it isn't in 2017, they'd have announced a release date like months ago if that were the case.

I'm not holding my breath for 2018 either.

This is why being a Sanderson fan is so much better for your health.

"Hey guys I meant to right only one book but I wrote two instead, they'll both be out in less then half a year. Woops"

I am so glad my friend got me into his books. I mean the dude is a writing machine. And he ended up starting a whole quadrology of books (Wax & Wayne) as an exercise/break from finishing up WoT!.

Veelk

Banned
So you're just requesting that these threads not be made then.

If that's the only possible thing you can possibly think to say, then yeah, sure, no threads would probably be preferable to what we get now. In a prefect world, we'd be talking about other stuff that does get announced, like this Fire and Blood or Book of Swords.

Granted, I don't think there's much to actually say, because...well, we don't have them yet and we don't know whats in them, and any speculation will just lead to theories which is more of a ASoIaF community thread sort of thing. But still, better that than what we get now.

Loxley

I don't even care at this point, really. I'll just finish up with the show and call that an ending. Thank you, Martin.

That's pretty much where I'm at at this point. Until proven otherwise, I'm just going to assume Martin will pass on before he finishes A Dream of Spring. So I'll be looking to the show for closure.

If that's the only possible thing you can possibly think to say, then yeah, sure, no threads would probably be preferable to what we get now. In a prefect world, we'd be talking about other stuff that does get announced, like this Fire and Blood or Book of Swords.

Granted, I don't think there's much to actually say, because...well, we don't have them yet and we don't know whats in them, and any speculation will just lead to theories which is more of a ASoIaF community thread sort of thing. But still, better that than what we get now.
If you have NeoGAF gold, you get to pick which threads you read. You might want to upgrade so you're not forced to participate in threads you don't want to read.

Gnome

That's fair, but with the show just having its premier, and officially going into untouched territory, it's unavoidable I think.

Strimei

Also a reminder that Martin will only write on a WordStar 4.0 (a DOS based word processor that came out in the 80s). And he types with one finger.

So that may also explain his speed in getting these out as time goes on.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Also a reminder that Martin will only write on a WordStar 4.0 (a DOS based word processor that came out in the 80s). And he types with one finger.

So that may also explain his speed in getting these out as time goes on.

Is this really true? I mean I hear it everywhere and I know Martin has talked about this but I sometimes feel this is just something he says to fuck with fans at this point.

A-V-B

el-viaje-de-chihiro-anime-08.jpg

SGRX

People that were born the day the first book came out are a couple weeks away from being old enough to drink legally.

Strimei

Is this really true? I mean I hear it everywhere and I know Martin has talked about this but I sometimes feel this is just something he says to fuck with fans at this point.

Its real.

I actually like it. It does everything I want a word processing program to do and it doesn't do anything else. I don't want any help, you know? I hate some of these modern systems where you type a lowercase letter and it becomes a capital. I don't want a capital. If I wanted a capital I would have typed a capital. I know how to work the shift key!

And here he is confirming typing with one finger.

Gnome

Because he hates writing the main series but still has a passion for the series lore. He can write Targaryen dynastic histories just fine.

I feel like he should have done it the Tolkien way instead. Do the 20 years of world building before writing the books, not during. Especially if he's going to devote so much time to it.

Nothing he could say would fuck with fans more than "I'm totally still working on TWOW and plan on finishing the series before I die"

He's legit about to start and finish a completely different book before he ever finishes WoW. Every rumor from his friends and associates about him hating writing the series at this point has a whole lot of evidence for it and none against it.

Veelk

Banned
That's fair, but with the show just having its premier, and officially going into untouched territory, it's unavoidable I think.

Yeah. I honestly think it was a massive mistake for GRRM to outline his plot to the showrunners, even if I think they're going to deliver an incredibly different version of the story to the audience.

If you have NeoGAF gold, you get to pick which threads you read. You might want to upgrade so you're not forced to participate in threads you don't want to read.

Yeah, but see, that puts me in a conflicted position. I want to get hyped about Book of Swords and Fire and Blood. Book of Swords more for Scott Lynch, but I'm looking forward to hearing about Aegon and Maegor as well. The World of Ice and Fire gave a pretty cool summary of their conflict, even if I think that the "Historian talking about them lecture room style" is not as interesting as a full prose novel could be.

It's not the announcement that bothers me, it's the community culture. It becomes so ubiquitous that it's hard to even make other threads about stuff without this resentment sinking into it. So, I'd rather the community change a bit than ignore threads with things I'm a fan of.

Gnome

I just hope he has a dead man's switch for all the book plotlines if the worst case scenario happens

A dead man's switch that does what? Burns everything? Because that's what I think he has. It certainly isn't a dump of all his notes ready to be handed to a different author, because he doesn't want someone else to finish it.

Yeah. I honestly think it was a massive mistake for GRRM to outline his plot to the showrunners, even if I think they're going to deliver an incredibly different version of the story to the audience.

Yeah, but see, that puts me in a conflicted position. I want to get hyped about Book of Swords and Fire and Blood. Book of Swords more for Scott Lynch, but I'm looking forward to hearing about Aegon and Maegor as well. The World of Ice and Fire gave a pretty cool summary of their conflict, even if I think that the "Historian talking about them lecture room style" is not as interesting as a full prose novel could be.

It's not the announcement that bothers me, it's the community culture. It becomes so ubiquitous that it's hard to even make other threads about stuff without this resentment sinking into it. So, I'd rather the community change a bit than ignore threads with things I'm a fan of.
Asking millions of fans to stop wanting the books should be way easier than adjusting your choices. Good plan

dabig2

*Insert some Misery GIFs here*

Remember when people were optimistic that this book would take less time than A Feast for Crows or A Dance With Dragons?

Man, I was one of those. Thought 2016 would be the worst case scenario.

"But there's no more Meereenese Knot!" they said. It'll take him less time now they said.

:/

He does, it's called "burn everything I've ever written"

Seriously.
oh no
A dead man's switch that does what? Burns everything? Because that's what I think he has. It certainly isn't a dump of all his notes ready to be handed to a different author, because he doesn't want someone else to finish it.

No I don't need or want someone else to finish it but yeah I would like to see outlines/notes of the final books

HStallion

If GRRM is still typing on an ancient computer using one finger I'm not sure I'd trust his dead man switch to be any more reliable. Its probably an egg timer he has to reset every hour.

Strimei

Man, I was one of those. Thought 2016 would be the worst case scenario.

"But there's no more Meereenese Knot!" they said. It'll take him less time now they said.

:/

"He's gonna start killing off some of the POVs, that'll speed things up too!"

Hopeford

Every time I see news about Winds of Winter I just remember a shitty animation a friend made/posted on facebook for friends with RR Martin and Patric Rothfuss very, very shittily photoshopped onto an Initial D clip with some eurobeat playing the background.

I don't know, I loved both series but I'm not really waiting for them anymore - I'm gonna enjoy them when they come out, don't get me wrong, but I'm not eagerly anticipating them anymore.

Veelk

Banned
Asking millions of fans to stop wanting the books should be way easier than adjusting your choices. Good plan

Not easier, but better. Besides, I'm not asking the community to stop wanting the books. The books are awesome, they should be wanted. I just want the community to stop whining about not having them.

HStallion

Not easier, but better. Besides, I'm not asking the community to stop wanting the books. The books are awesome, they should be wanted. I just want the community to stop whining about not having them.

You must be new to this whole fandom thing.

Alright, fuck it. I've waited long enough.

Time to binge watch the show. Stopped after Season 3 hoping TWOW would be out relatively soon, how naive of me.

Dude in nearly 70. If it takes 8 years for WoW, and then another 4 or 5 for the next one, he'd be around 75.

And then if there's another, he'd be in his 80s.

No offences, but is he in good health? Doesn't he want to do other things with his life? What happens if he doesn't finish?

Hopeford

This is why being a Sanderson fan is so much better for your health.

"Hey guys I meant to right only one book but I wrote two instead, they'll both be out in less then half a year. Woops"

Sanderson is not human. Like, granted his prose is not anything to write about--Emperor's Soul aside--but the sheer consistency he puts out is insane. There's steady improvements in every corner too, it's crazy.

It's impossible to measure but I wonder how much interest The Winds of Winter has dipped now that the show has surpassed its timeline. I know I, for one, care much less. As in, I don't really care at all anymore.

This is me. The show, for better or worse, has become the real ASOIAF for me.

Top Bottom