• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Studios SDCC info roundup

Bronx-Man

Banned
Y'all know this means secret Invasion is next right?

giphy.gif

The Kree

Banned
Y'all know this means secret Invasion is next right?

They could build an entire series of solo movies around the concept leading up to an Avengers event. But they would have to undermine a lot of characters across several movies to pull it off properly. I hope they're willing to do it.

In my head, Black Widow would be the perfect Veranke.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'd still be wary about having them take place in the same time period. We don't know what Captain Marvel is about aside from the Skrulls. She could be weeding out Skrulls from the Soviet Union to end the Cold War. There has to be a story reason why they went with the early 90s.
I don't think it matters if they take place in the same time period. Wondy is the queen right now and nothing is changing that for a while but Captain Marvel looks to be bring a completely different feel which has little in common with WW except that they are both women.

I can't believe how deep the MCU is getting. Goliath of all people turning up in a movie, I never would've thought that even 5 years ago.

I guess it's the "blessing" for Marvel not having the rights to all the characters. They have to dig deep and get some of these lesser known characters out there because, well, they have no other choice.

mreddie

It's kinda funny Marvel has everyone by the balls and own everything. They made people forget the FOX shit.

"Fantastic who?"
"Who's the Y-Men?"
"Doctor Pepper?"

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't think it matters if they take place in the same time period. Wondy is the queen right now and nothing is changing that for a while but Captain Marvel looks to be bring a completely different feel which has little in common with WW except that they are both women.

Oh, it most definitely matters, these things don't exist in bubbles. Civil War got greenlit in response to Batman v Superman. DC just started on the Wonder Woman 2 script, so they're super early. These are the only two big female solo films, and they might come out in 2019 and both be late 80s/early 90s period pieces? That's just riff for stepping on each other for soundtracks and references. Who knows if the rumor is true, but I could see DC blinking on the whole 80s thing. I don't think someone would wait until a movie is halfway developed to find out the competition has something similar.

The Kree

Banned
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand they can bring back Ronan for Captain Marvel. I'd like to see him smash some Skrull heads one time.

"The last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye." ~ Fury

Carol Danvers being an asshole gonna get translated to the big screen.

jk

i think?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Thor: Ragnarok

- It has been four years since Thor 2 The Dark World.

Well, I guess I probably need to watch Thor 2 finally. GAF is obsessed with it, so it's probably entertaining...

The Kree

Banned
The way those scars sit around his eye it looks like it was yanked right out of his head by an animal or something. I doubt they'd get that graphic with it though.

Well, I guess I probably need to watch Thor 2 finally. GAF is obsessed with it, so it's probably entertaining...

You'll enjoy the final fight flying between realms, if nothing else. That part is really cool.

Skilletor

Oh, it most definitely matters, these things don't exist in bubbles. Civil War got greenlit in response to Batman v Superman. DC just started on the Wonder Woman 2 script, so they're super early. These are the only two big female solo films, and they might come out in 2019 and both be late 80s/early 90s period pieces? That's just riff for stepping on each other for soundtracks and references. Who knows if the rumor is true, but I could see DC blinking on the whole 80s thing. I don't think someone would wait until a movie is halfway developed to find out the competition has something similar.

Civil War Release Date - May 6, 2016 (United States)
Batman v. Superman Release Date - March 20, 2016 (United States)

What you talking about?

Dalek

Lots of good info. I do wonder about Captain Marvel in the 90s though. Does she not age or something? Is she well known in the MCU so that Kamala could be idolizing her right now?

Shy

Captain Marvel

- Nick Fury will appear (with both eyes intact).
- Set in the early 90s.
- The villains will be the Skrulls.

Ant-Man and the Wasp

- Michelle Pfeiffer is Janet van Dyne
- Laurence Fishburne is Dr. Bill Foster, AKA Goliath.
- Walton Goggins is Sonny Burch.
- Hannah John-Kamen is the Ghost.
- Randall Park is Agent Jimmy Woo.
- Animatic of a car chase where a car shrinks, drives under another car, and then grows, tossing the first car over.

Black Panther

- The film begins just after Civil War.
- T'Challa is mourning his father's death and trying to figure out how to be King when circumstances occur that force him to deal with a threat immediately.
- Coogler says that one of the most important aspects of T'Challa is that he be a hero who gets his power from the people around him and from his sense of history.
- Shuri, T'Challa's sister, is in charge of technological innovations in Wakanda.
- Okoye's (played by Danai Gurira) goal is to protect the secret of Wakanda as the most technologically advanced city on the planet.
- Michael B. Jordan says that Erik Killmonger has "his own opinions on Wakanda and how it should be ruled".
- Forest Whitaker says that Zuri was very close friends with T'Chaka and has known T'Challa since the kid was very little.
- W'Kabi, played by Daniel Kuluuya, is T'Challa's oldest friend and head of security. He's reponsible for stopping any threat coming into Wakanda.
- Lupita Nyong'o plays Nakia, who is a spy. She goes undercover to the rest of the world and reports back to Wakanda.
- Andy Serkis says that he's excited because Klaw gets his arm back in this one. He is a wheeler-dealer. "He can call up any government and compromise them into anything."
- Winston Duke says that M'Baku is "a big, strong, ferocious, majestic, beloved leader". He says he really loves the humanity of M'Baku. He's "deeply faith driven".

Thor: Ragnarok

- It has been four years since Thor 2 The Dark World.
- Loki has been pretending to be Odin all that time.
- Hulk is now a popular gladiator and he decides his new life is better than anything Banner could do. He's on Sakaar and refuses to become Bruce Banner.
- Tessa Thompson says Valkyrie is an "elite warrior of Asgard, who is hanging on Sakaar".

Posters
These infos please me.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Civil War Release Date - May 6, 2016 (United States)
Batman v. Superman Release Date - March 20, 2016 (United States)

What you talking about?

Movies are planned and announced before they are released...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/captain-america-civil-war-director-886842

Our pitch to them was: People will tell you they love chocolate ice cream — until you give it to them five days a week. It's time to give them some rainbow sherbet. Kevin [Feige] is a maverick and he's very sensitive to how people are responding to his content. He said he thought we might be right. And after they announced Batman v. Superman, he said, 'you guys are absolutely right.' We needed to do something challenging with the material or we were going to start to lose the audience.

Also, Batman v Superman and Civil War were originally supposed to come out on the same weekend in May. DC moved Batman v Superman up to avoid directly competing.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-moves-to-march-2016-1201277114/

Dalek

Oh shit I just realized-if Captain Marvel is in the 90s we could have Coulson there too!

Edit: And Peggy!!!

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I'm really surprised that Marvel is getting better at make by the movies that I want to see. Every single movie looks so great. Can't help but be excited.

Lots of good info. I do wonder about Captain Marvel in the 90s though. Does she not age or something? Is she well known in the MCU so that Kamala could be idolizing her right now?

As far as her age, you can just handwave it away by saying that being half-Kree slows down her aging process immensely. And someone else suggested it in the thread for the panel, but Carol could just be a fighter pilot who mysteriously goes missing, and that's who Kamala idolizes, and then it turns out she comes back to Earth as Captain Marvel.

El Topo

Rumor for Wonder Woman 2 involved it dealing with the late days of the Cold War. Even if Captain Marvel 2 is relatively close to that timeline wise, it would be a very different feel.

All modern female superhero movies have to be set in the past. It's the law.

Is she well known in the MCU so that Kamala could be idolizing her right now?

She has never been mentioned or referenced, so no. Not unless you really, really stretch logic beyond reason and go with some bullshit "Well she idolizes a pilot" thing that is completely different than the comic character.

- Michelle Pfeiffer is Janet van Dyne

Damn, now I might have to watch the sequel to that boring ass movie.

And Captain Marvel in the 90s? Interesting. I just hope that she won't be portrayed as a right wing conservative asshole but Feige wants my money so I'm not too worried.

Busty

Banned
I'm surprised this thread is so quiet. I thought GAF would have been all over this.

I'm really not feeling anything I've heard about Captain Marvel thus far. The fact it's apparently set in the 90's just sounds like a gimmick to me. Eh.

So Captain Marvel doesn't age right? Or are they just gonna age her up in The Avengers?

Nah, this is still Hollywood, you're not gonna get a Captain Marvel that looks older than 35. I don't know if she can age or not but maybe she'll go into cryo-sleep or something.

Hagi

On one hand we finally get the Skrulls but on the other hand Captain Marvel.

nsr.gif

It being set in the nineties is pretty cool.

Top Bottom