• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus: Uprising website updates and Palutena Tweets

I was a bit optimistic before, but now I am more convinced due to the fact that it has a lot of content and replay value. I will try to get the frankenstick add on as I am a leftie (also for future Monster Hunter and MGS3D) but will try the game regardless with the stand to see if it works still without it. Pre-purchasing it on Monday hopefully.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The last trailer on the Japanese site. It's too much for me. And there are too many people on other boards in other nations who just spit on this, saying it's crap.
It's too beautiful, neither I thought it could be so great! :lol

Tom_Cody

MH has been one of the biggest franchises in Japan for the last few years and Sakurai must have had it in the back of his mind when making this- both are portable multiplayer action games with fantasy settings and loot systems.

To those that play Monster Hunter- do you think this will catch on with the MH fanbase in Japan?

Neiteio

I wonder if we've seen all the bosses. We know there's -at least- eight chapters, with the pirate starship being the eighth chapter, apparently (from what I've read at Icaruspedia). Boss-wise, we know of Twinbellows, Dark Lord Gaol, Hewdraw, Big Reaper, Phantos (going off memory here; did I get the name right?), Thanatos, the space kraken (name not revealed yet), Medusa and the recurring boss battle with Dark Pit. That's assuming the Dark Pit encounters count as boss battles, which hasn't been confirmed yet.

That's an incredibly solid boss lineup. It's possible there may be more, but I'm cool with such a diverse lineup of bosses.

And I was grinning ear to ear when I saw the Tempura Wizard. Oh my god. XD

OmegaZero

Have we seen any video yet of 1 on 1 multiplayer combat? I can image how it works from understanding the game's basic controls, but I sort of wonder how interesting it will be in practice. Multiplayer seems to be much more focus on group combat vs. 1 on 1.

I'm sort of fascinated by the thought of 1 on 1 melee combat with this control scheme.

I imagine it'd work like the free-for-all mode, except with a larger health bar or something.
Then again, I doubt there'll be one-on-one fights since supposedly the game adds AI players to fill up missing slots.

zroid

Banned
And I was grinning ear to ear when I saw the Tempura Wizard. Oh my god. XD

71097_50421060903_385034_n.jpg

Same here.

Truth101

Banned
MH has been one of the biggest franchises in Japan for the last few years and Sakurai must have had it in the back of his mind when making this- both are portable multiplayer action games with fantasy settings and loot systems.

To those that play Monster Hunter- do you think this will catch on with the MH fanbase in Japan?

Kid Icarus is nothing like Monster Hunter....

BD1

Banned
This game looks to be so wonderfully insane, I can't wait.

I have high expectations, I hope it delivers and the Kid Icarus franchise can expand beyond one 3DS game.

Tom_Cody

Kid Icarus is nothing like Monster Hunter....
Eh, I guess my question is sort of vacuous in the first place but they are similar in that they are both portable multiplayer action games with fantasy settings and loot systems. I did not say that I think they are more alike than that, I'm just wondering if people think that the -large- MH audience will end up flocking to KI:U.

zroid

Banned
Eh, I guess my question is sort of vacuous in the first place but they are similar in that they are both portable multiplayer action games with fantasy settings and loot systems. I did not say that I think they are more alike than that, I'm just wondering if people think that -large- audience will end up flocking to KI:U.

I guess it's possible, although it's hard to say whether the appeal of KI:U's frenetic shooter gameplay will really transfer with the more methodical pace of MonHun. Regardless, I think KI:U does have plenty of crossover appeal, so by all rights it should be able to pull in many fanbases. If the marketing and buzz can keep aloft, that is.

Neiteio

This is by far my most wanted game at the moment, but I will say I'm concerned how left-handed players will be affected; finding out you have to buy a $20 add-on to play with your dominant hand is no fun. And then in general, I wonder how well people will take to the camera controls in the ground combat portions. It sounds like it takes some adjustment acclimating to fine movements controlling the reticule and broader movements controlling the camera. It seems some reviewers never got quite used to it. Hmm... More impressions are needed. AND A DEMO!

zroid

Banned
This is by far my most wanted game at the moment, but I will say I'm concerned how left-handed players will be affected

For me, the CPP won't help much because I'd be equally helpless attempting to stylus aim with my right hand as using a circle pad with it.

Best solution IMO for lefties? Finger stylus/thumbstrap/etc.

NeonZ

Eh, I guess my question is sort of vacuous in the first place but they are similar in that they are both portable multiplayer action games with fantasy settings and loot systems. I did not say that I think they are more alike than that, I'm just wondering if people think that the -large- MH audience will end up flocking to KI:U.

It misses MH's "co-op" element though, which is what made it explode on portables, so I don't think it'll do much for the MH fanbase even if there are some small similarities in their general concepts.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Just a quick consideration: the polycount of this game is very low compared to the highest productions we saw on 3DS (especially from Capcom), but to me is looking very good in terms of graphic because of:

60fps also in 3D
A lot of stuffs on screen especially with Leve9 difficulty
great texture and lights effects on the environments

What do you think guys?

Just a quick consideration: the polycount of this game is very low compared to the highest productions we saw on 3DS (especially from Capcom), but to me is looking very good in terms of graphic because of:

60fps also in 3D

What do you think guys?

Whoa, 60fps!? And in 3D too!?

Wow, I missed this news. That's great!

60fps also in 3D

What do you think guys?

Is 60fps in 3D confirmed? I haven't been keeping up.

I don't think it's the same kind of loot whoring that drives Monster Hunter at all. And the rest of the games couldn't be any more different. KIU is a shooter like Star Fox and MH is more like a Phantasy Star Online where you chase big dinosaurs around an area and then fight them.

Rootbeer

Banned
The 3DS is turning out to be a pretty epic little handheld... between this game and Kingdom Hearts 3D, i am going to be in gaming heaven for some time.

zroid

Banned
Has this been confirmed? Didn't know that!

... Not that I'm left handed.

Yeah it was confirmed... somewhere. I don't remember exactly. :<

Also, PSA: the recent trailer that has everyone's panties bunched is on the US eShop now (in english, 3D, etc.). Last 10 seconds are LOLOLOLOL

Kid Icarus: Uprising |OT| "Big monsters kill Pit! Grrrrrrrrr!"

Boogdud

60fps also in 3D

What do you think guys?

Is this confirmed (60fps), or just you hoping it's the case because the graphics don't look that great. I agree they look worse every time I see more gameplay, but I haven't seen anything stating the game was going to be 60fps. Unfortunately.

sfried

Why do they make it like Pit is destitute or something? Chicken being more economical, saving on laundry...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Is this confirmed (60fps), or just you hoping it's the case because the graphics don't look that great. I agree they look worse every time I see more gameplay, but I haven't seen anything stating the game was going to be 60fps. Unfortunately.

surely it seemed 60fps to me when I played it.
in addition, also the other elements I stated seem pretty sure, I think.

EDIT: here I found where it's stated that it's at 60fps:

http://www.everyeye.it/3ds/articoli/kid-icarus-uprising_hands-on_16145

Neiteio

Not sure if you've seen footage of the game, but the lighting, effects, animations, etc, all look stellar when you see the game in motion. In stills, the absence of AA and the low-poly nature of many things is evident, but in motion, when dozens of things are stretching and deforming and spinning and exploding onscreen in starburst explosions of fire and lightning and rainbows and magic, it looks amazing. It's not hyper-realistic like Revelations but it sure is delicious eye candy in its own right.

zroid

Banned
Not sure if you've seen footage of the game, but the lighting, effects, animations, etc, all look stellar when you see the game in motion. In stills, the absence of AA and the low-poly nature of many things is evident, but in motion, when dozens of things are stretching and deforming and spinning and exploding onscreen in starburst explosions of fire and lightning and rainbows and magic, it looks amazing. It's not hyper-realistic like Revelations but it sure is delicious eye candy in its own right.

Looks great to me, yeah. So deliciously vibrant. Surprised to hear that people don't like the look of it, its visuals seem like some of its strongest points.

That was some of the most painful dialogue I've ever heard. Will be turning off voices.

I think your sense of humour is broken! I'll get the wrench.

I admit: I rememebr it, but me to I can't find where.
So, I'm sorry about my previous statement.

There is footage on IGN where the guy is able to play with just one stick and buttons on the on-rails part and the ground section as well. So that is an option if people really don't want to use the touch screen or buy a CPPro.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Looks great to me, yeah. So deliciously vibrant. Surprised to hear that people don't like the look of it, its visuals seem like some of its strongest points.

I think your sense of humour is broken! I'll get the wrench.

I think that the main problem is that, from the screens, you can obtain a "poorly" perception of it, because you see polycount (that is not its strongest point) and AA issues.
then, in motion, everything is more vibrant and smooth and so on.
I tried it a couple of time at Nintendo events in Italy (but the article I posted is not mine) and I can confirm that it's quite amazing seeing it for real in 3D

Neiteio

There is footage on IGN where the guy is able to play with just one stick and buttons on the on-rails part and the ground section as well. So that is an option if people really don't want to use the touch screen or buy a CPPro.
Yeah, I'd imagine if you use the stylus to adjust the camera (or maybe the reticule to turn), that should work well when combined with the face buttons moving forward and back and strafing left and right.

Top Bottom