• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

Steroyd

I was going to pre-order because I loved the last games but I think I'll wait now and see how badly these microtransactions affect the game.

I think it's going to be hard to determine that, past EG games already has a system where you had to level up that specific character to gain access to things like the homing, rising and super backspin etc. But it was a simple 1-15 level up for using that character.

Looking at the gaffer streams I've been stalking all weekend you can level up your "beginner" level character into an "expert" level character so there is already a more grindy aspect to it if you want to max all your stats of your avatar but the pay off is that you get an avatar in the first place and the stats are catered to your playstyle rather than not picking a character because they're an intermediate character.

Snoopycat

Banned
The last few editions of the game have had micro transactions and it didn't effect the game, can't see this being any different a good player will be a good player.

I'll wait and see how these micro transactions affect the multi player before deciding whether to buy it or not. A good player is not a good player if people can buy their way to the top.

madmackem

I'll wait and see how these micro transactions affect the multi player before deciding whether to buy it or not. A good player is not a good player if people can buy their way to the top.
I promise you a bad players with the best clubs etc is still a bad player.

Snoopycat

Banned

Doesn't matter. If someone can buy clubs that can hit further, or abilities that give them the edge in an online match, then the game is fundamentally unbalanced and unfair. Many times i see people complaining about how terrible micro transactions and pre orders are, but the moment a game comes out that they like, all their words get thrown out the window. If Everybody's Golf is a fair game with a balanced multiplayer I will buy it. If it isn't I won't.

Loved playing the old hot shots golf games with my brothers.

Can anyone tell me if there is still 'pass the controller' local co-op?

Steroyd

Doesn't matter. If someone can buy clubs that can hit further, or abilities that give them the edge in an online match, then the game is fundamentally unbalanced and unfair. Many times i see people complaining about how terrible micro transactions and pre orders are, but the moment a game comes out that they like, all their words get thrown out the window. If Everybody's Golf is a fair game with a balanced multiplayer I will buy it. If it isn't I won't.

If that person with the 300yd hitting club doesn't account for wind, elevation, obstacles, how many power shots they have left that means their shot has to be perfect or bust *cough*, they're hitting the bunker, rough or water until they "git gud" with that, so I'm not to concerned for a noob trying to pay to win... However it would be a case of the rich getting richer so hopefully the best clubs aren't gated off, the last EG game left a bad taste in my mouth with pay for clubs even if they weren't noticeably better than what you could unlock in the base game.

Waiting to hear if you can straight up buy wins online. Sounding like that is a big possibility. Not interested in a game that punishes those that actually want to play the game and earn rewards. Anyone that has any insight, it's appreciated.

So does this game have 2-4 player split screen like you see in the online games?

Can the wife and I couch/ play together without taking turns?

Koren

I'm REALLY not fond of the graphics, especially the characters :/ And microtransactions are worrying as hell.

Also, boo at X being used for shots. Can someone tell me whether it's O in the japanese version? (that's big enough for me to import the game)

kdoll08

I'm REALLY not fond of the graphics, especially the characters :/ And microtransactions are worrying as hell.

Also, boo at X being used for shots. Can someone tell me whether it's O in the japanese version? (that's big enough for me to import the game)

It's always been X in the U.S. and O in Japan. You could always change you button settings in the PS4 menu if you want it to be the other way though.

Daffy Duck

So does this game have 2-4 player split screen like you see in the online games?

Can the wife and I couch/ play together without taking turns?

No split screen I believe, you just take it in turns. I played a four player local co-op game yesterday with the GF and kids and it was hilarious.

kdoll08

That OP title...

Not sure if they're up yet, but how are the trophies for this game? I remember HSG Vita being brutal concerning them...

I'm glad you liked the title. I wanted to incorporate the Hot Shots name into it somehow. Then I saw the thread recently where people liked the old name better so I thought it was fitting.

brerwolfe

Just preordered. Hot Shots World Invitational is the only game I've ever platinum'd.

So, I don't have PS+. Will I be locked out of official tournaments (assuming they have daily/weekly tournaments like World Invitational)?

Griss

What do you guys think of this?

DIR8XrqXkAISSJt.jpg:small

Source: https://twitter.com/MilkmanHero/status/901982577229221889

Can you use clubs bought/upgraded with real money in online tourneys?

Oh boy. I wish I had seen this before I pre-ordered the game...

I detest microtransactions with a passion. If shooting good scores is linked in any way to microtransactions I will freak out. If it's just a faster way to level your clubs up that will be borderline acceptable.

I already complained about the levelling system in the beta - there are par 4s that are not reachable in two shots until you level your clubs up a bit and frankly that's unacceptable. You shouldn't have to play for hours to get to a certain level where you can shoot good scores - the improvement should come from the player getting better at the game.

If that person with the 300yd hitting club doesn't account for wind, elevation, obstacles, how many power shots they have left that means their shot has to be perfect or bust *cough*, they're hitting the bunker, rough or water until they "git gud" with that, so I'm not to concerned for a noob trying to pay to win... However it would be a case of the rich getting richer so hopefully the best clubs aren't gated off, the last EG game left a bad taste in my mouth with pay for clubs even if they weren't noticeably better than what you could unlock in the base game.

It's not about bad players vs good ones. It's about equally skilled players having their matches or scores determined by whether they've paid or not. That's the issue.

I detest microtransactions with a passion. If shooting good scores is linked in any way to microtransactions I will freak out. If it's just a faster way to level your clubs up that will be borderline acceptable.

I already complained about the levelling system in the beta - there are par 4s that are not reachable in two shots until you level your clubs up a bit and frankly that's unacceptable. You shouldn't have to play for hours to get to a certain level where you can shoot good scores - the improvement should come from the player getting better at the game.

I'm with ya man. But personally if they are only shortcuts when Hot Shots has been about upgrading your clubs for a while then I won't mind. I start to get angry when it's a bunch of unique stuff that you have to buy with real money.

As others have also mentioned, due to the game's experience + levelling system affecting how well you can play, the game is already going to be unbalanced. That's why I asked earlier in the thread how grindy the game is, because I fear levels and experience are going to reward players who've been playing the game longer anyway and you're going to feel compelled to play more of the game to level up.

What would be interesting to see is what levels you end up after finishing single player, whether you can enter the online mode and it be a fair playing ground (assuming all other players did the same).

You're assuming only unskilled players buy superior clubs and gear. This is false.

This Everybody's Golf game evidently relies heavily on gamification - there's online leaderboards abound, you see other players around you taking shots, it's inherently competitive. If you're trying to do your best and one-up other players you're definitely going to be upgrading your gear.

I'm with ya man. But personally if they are only shortcuts when Hot Shots has been about upgrading your clubs for a while then I won't mind. I start to get angry when it's a bunch of unique stuff that you have to buy with real money.

I do mind, because it fundamentally changes the game's balance in an online and social-centric game, the game itself has been built around these microtransactions to lessen the grind. Their existence implies a grind to be competitive with other players (who have the same gear stats, not in terms of skill) exists in the first place.

Can someone confirm or deny there is only one shot type (traditional) in this game? I've only seen that from one source... would be very disappointing.

I'm glad I popped into this thread before pre-ordering on PSN. These microtransactions and unbalanced online gameplay/tournaments is a total downer.

I'm glad I popped into this thread before pre-ordering on PSN. These microtransactions and unbalanced online gameplay/tournaments is a total downer.

If that's all the micro transactions are then I am pleased because it's really not a big deal. Just play single player and get better gear like you would in any other hot shots game before you go play the more serious competitive online modes. I was somehow expecting worse.

If that's all the micro transactions are then I am pleased because it's really not a big deal. Just play single player and get better gear like you would in any other hot shots game before you go play the more serious competitive online modes. I was somehow expecting worse.

I've still cancelled my order until we know how balanced the game is post-single player.

I was already annoyed about EG6 adding DLC clubs months after the game came out since it made existing leaderboard entries out of step. Here's what I'm referring to (from a Eurogamer comemnts thread):

One area where they've completely undermined the quality of this game, is the introduction of the DLC pay to win bullshit.

Why should anyone need to buy level 4 clubs/balls to increase their chances of Eagles on par 4s, albatrosses on par 5s or need to buy extra courses just to be able to register a score and play each of the six days?.

It is already quite a bone of contention that on one day of the week you can't play any official tournament, as they only do one per week, but the publisher or developer meddling with the “open”-ness within competitions to distort the competition like someone Call of Duty subscription could be the beginning of the end of the Everybody's golf franchise(imo).

I still play, but certainly not impressed by the anit-consumer actions in the online open tournament now.

And I wonder when they are going to fix the ability to move the tee position on the PS3 version.

(Source http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/249676?start=30)

I do mind, because it fundamentally changes the game's balance in an online and social-centric game, the game itself has been built around these microtransactions to lessen the grind. Their existence implies a grind to be competitive with other players (who have the same gear stats, not in terms of skill) exists in the first place.

I wouldn't say it's been built around it because getting better clubs and characters has been a part of hot shots for awhile. This is the same you can just shortcut the fun of actually developing your skills and character if you want to. Believe me I wish games had no microtransactions at all, but if that's all it is then the issue you are describing would be the same as anyone starting a online MP game with RPG elements (almost all of them nowadays) after Day One. There will always be people who are further ahead of you.

I guess we'll have to see in reviews which I wish were hitting today as someone who also preordered it.

Edit: read your second post as well. All fair points. Just have to hope for the best.

w0s

How many courses are there? I already have it preloaded because I love the series but I can't seem to find a real answer. Is the OP really right about they are just interconnected 9 hole courses?

I wouldn't say it's been built around it because getting better clubs and characters has been a part of hot shots for awhile. This is the same you can just shortcut the fun of actually developing your skills and character if you want to. Believe me I wish games had no microtransactions at all, but if that's all it is then the issue you are describing would be the same as anyone starting a online MP game with RPG elements (almost all of them nowadays) after Day One. There will always be people who are further ahead of you.

I guess we'll have to see in reviews which I wish were hitting today as someone who also preordered it.

Edit: read your second post as well. All fair points. Just have to hope for the best.

Mm, that's why I mentioned it'd be interesting to see how balanced things are if one was to play through single player, and then tackle the online later. I suspect the levelling (they now show an experience bar on the HUD at the top) is much more grind-y this time around due to the heavy online/social focus.

Will be interesting to see but for now I'm out until I know this won't be a time investment for all the wrong reasons.

krae_man

Guys, with the way the new flier system works you don't want advanced shot.

Fliers are no longer random when you have the required lie. There is a specific point on the shot bar that is black. If your impact press is on that spot, you get a flier. This is a million timers better for 2 reasons.

1) If you get perfect impact, you are guaranteed to not get a flier. If you get a flier, you know why and it's because you screwed up your impact press.

2) It gives you the opportunity to get flier on purpose. Say you land in a fairway bunker 210 yards away from the pin and you have a flier lie and the longest club you can use is your 3 iron that goes 180 yards and the the percent range for power it gives you is 60%-90%. If you do a flier on purpose, you can get 115% power and land it on the green.

I don't know how you could do that with the Advanced shot system. Sure you could let people use advance shot and they would just forfeit the ability to do this, but you want the ability to do this.

Griss

Fliers are no longer random when you have the required lie. There is a specific point on the shot bar that is black. If your impact press is on that spot, you get a flier. This is a million timers better for 2 reasons.

1) If you get perfect impact, you are guaranteed to not get a flier. If you get a flier, you know why and it's because you screwed up your impact press.

2) It gives you the opportunity to get flier on purpose. Say you land in a fairway bunker 210 yards away from the pin and you have a flier lie and the longest club you can use is your 3 iron that goes 180 yards and the the percent range for power it gives you is 60%-90%. If you do a flier on purpose, you can get 115% power and land it on the green.

I don't know how you could do that with the Advanced shot system. Sure you could let people use advance shot and they would just forfeit the ability to do this, but you want the ability to do this.

I was under the impression that you never got a flier in old games if you had perfect impact.

Secondly, you shouldn't be able to get a flier on purpose. The idea that you would hit it into the rough on purpose because you that if you get the shot right you'll get extra distance... that's absurd and it's not golf. Fliers are there to punish you for going into the rough and under this new system it doesn't sound like it'll do that, rather it'll be another tool for expert players to use. Not a fan of that design choice.

madmackem

It's not about bad players vs good ones. It's about equally skilled players having their matches or scores determined by whether they've paid or not. That's the issue.
It's been confirmed you find gems on the course, this seems like people getting upset over very little at this point in time.

krae_man

I was under the impression that you never got a flier in old games if you had perfect impact.

Secondly, you shouldn't be able to get a flier on purpose. The idea that you would hit it into the rough on purpose because you that if you get the shot right you'll get extra distance... that's absurd and it's not golf. Fliers are there to punish you for going into the rough and under this new system it doesn't sound like it'll do that, rather it'll be another tool for expert players to use. Not a fan of that design choice.

Uhh, that's not how it works. If you land on the fairway, you can use your driver if you want. You'll never intentionally land it in the rough to get a flier opportunity to get extra distance. Especially since fliers don't happen ever time you miss a fairway and you wouldn't want the lack of spin control a less then ideal lie gives you.

It gives skilled players the ability to make up for their mistake. That is absolutely a good thing.

Also in my experience previously, they were in fact completely random(or some undisclosed stat triggred) and perfect impact did not make you immune to them.

It's been confirmed you find gems on the course, this seems like people getting upset over very little at this point in time.

I don't think it's very little. Yes you can find the gems over the course but you could also drop $20 and buy a bunch and upgrade your stuff then enter a tournament online. So that person is going in with an advantage against someone like me who doesn't want to drop $20+ on all the upgrades.

So yes, in the end someone more skilled at the game will beat an unskilled person. But if a person is even half decent and can drive 250 yards while my meager club only grants me 180-200, I'm already at a disadvantage against similarly skilled opponents.

I also don't recall ever hitting a flier after perfect impact. I'll take my preferred shot type on every shot over this little flier change any day. I seldom end up in the rough on the majority of courses anyhow

Top Bottom