• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 |OT| New Digs

Plum

RoqUZ19.jpg

Grab your pickaxe and dig into the sequel to the award-winning SteamWorld Dig! A platform mining adventure forged in classic Metroidvania style.

In search of her lost friend, a lone steambot and her unlikely companion must dig deep, gain riches and explore an underworld riddled with danger.

But time is running short...

bEfxiYb.jpg

• Official Website
  • Twitter
  • Developer: Image & Form Games
  • Available On: Nintendo Switch / Steam / Playstation 4 & Vita (Cross-Buy)
  • Release Date: 21st September (Switch) / 22nd September (Steam) / 26th September (US PS4/Vita) / 27th September (EU PS4 & Vita)
  • Price: $19.99 / €19.99 / £14.99
  • Genre: Platformer, Metroidvania, Action-Adventure, Sidescroller, Mining Simulator
p2prUES.jpg

Trailers & Gameplay
Reveal Trailer
PAX West Trailer
Launch Trailer
Top 6 New Things in Steamworld Dig 2
EGX Rezzed 2017 Gameplay - Nintendo Life
Nintendo @ Gamescom Gameplay
Developer Interview

Screenshots (Click for High Resolution):

Merch!

A2nrtqZ.png

nJUjilN.jpg

[url]Review Thread[/URL]

Nintendo World Report Second Opinion - 10/10
Dig 2 isn't just another SteamWorld game, but the best one in the series so far. It blows the original out of the water with such ease that it seems almost simple.

Nintendolife - 9/10
SteamWorld Dig 2 is another confident effort from Image & Form, and a worthy successor to a game that's a treasured part of many eShop collections. Stylish and good-looking, it also has the series' trademark humour and, yes, a pretty good soundtrack. It refines and expands upon the qualities of the original and hits some delicious high points, albeit some of the smartest segments and ideas appear only briefly. It sets the scene for more content and games, too, which is pleasing to see.

Cubed3 - 8/10
Anyone looking for a weekend well spent can't go wrong with SteamWorld Dig 2; it is the very definition of a great sequel.

oC32CBg.jpg

What is Steamworld Dig 2?
Steamworld Dig 2 is a Metroidvania-style platformer that has you mining deep through a Western-inspired Steampunk world in search of treasure, upgrades and your lost friend. Unlike many other games of its ilk, SD2 focuses heavily on the collection of minerals and resources for upgrades instead of finding them directly in the game world. At many points throughout the game you'll have to choose between staying in the dangerous underground to mine just a few more materials, or heading back to the surface to sell what you've collected. Despite being simple to pick up and play, Steamworld Dig 2 is a game that is much deeper than what appears on the surface.

What makes this different from the original Steamworld Dig?
Perhaps the greatest change is the complete removal of the procedural generation from the previous game, with each level and each encounter having been designed entirely by hand. SD2 is also the playable introduction of Dorothy, one of the main NPCs from the previous games. Other changes include a greatly expanded hub area, a new XP system and a greater focus on narrative and lore. The game, in everything from story, to graphics, to items, is a gold mine of ambition when compared to its already-great predecessor.

How long is the game?
"I'd say it's no shorter than 8-12 hours for a normal player." - Imageform dev here on GAF. Obviously, for those who wish to completely mine this game's contents, it will take much longer. Spoilers:
There are a set of rewards for completionists that add "many many hours" onto the game

Should I play Steamworld Dig before playing this?
Whilst not required to understand the story of 2, the original game is still worth a playthrough as it's a damn good game by itself. If you want to dig even deeper into the 'Steamworld' series then give the X-COM styled strategy title Steamworld Heist a go as well. Both games are available on PS4, Wii U, Steam, 3DS and Vita. A double pack is available for PS4 and Wii U if you want to buy both at once.

Who composed the music?
The two composers are Niklas Åkerblad aka El Huervo, a composer known primarily for his contributions to the Hotline Miami 1 & 2 soundtracks (and cover art), and Image & Form's own Pelle Cahndlerby

Xbox One? Wii U? 3DS? Vectrex?
There's been no official confirmation of the game coming to these platforms but the developers haven't dug a grave for any potential ports just yet.

What are the differences between each console?
Outside of running at a different resolution respective of what console it is (540p on Vita, 720p Switch undocked, 1080p Switch docked & PS4), each version looks the same and runs at a consistent 60fps. The Switch version has HD rumble support.

How big is the game?
A whopping 200mb!

Will my PC run this?
Despite the game asking you to mine virtual currency, this doesn't require three overpriced RX 580s to run. The official Steam page recommends a 660 and a 'Dual Core' processor.

I'm stuck, how am I gonna get out of here?
Dig your way out!

...No, no, dig up, stupid!

NG7sjuD.gif

Credit to Wozman23 for the OT subtitle!

nTd3RBw.jpg

Plum

Any idea on length?

In the OP:

How long is the game?
"I'd say it's no shorter than 8-12 hours for a normal player." - Imageform dev here on GAF. Obviously, for those who wish to completely mine this
game's contents, it will take much longer. Spoilers:
There are a set of rewards for completionists that add "many many hours" onto the game

Ravelle

Played the first one a couple of weeks back in anticipation after all the praise it got, can't wait to get to dig in again.

Backlogger

Had no idea this was even coming out until I saw the Reviews thread.

Now I need to finish the first one!

I started it on PC and am probably more than halfway through and wish I could transfer my save to my Vita because I'd be more inclined to finish it there I think.

The first one is a short play through isn't it? I guess I can just start over.

FTF

Wow this looks great. Never played the first one but the visuals and great reviews are getting me hyped to get this next week.

Jmille99

I never put as much time into the first game as it deserved, even thouvh I really enjoyed what I played. Will be picking this up day 1 on Switch.

Fireblend

Banned
Does it matter that I never finished the first game?

It's a direct sequel, but the first one was a 4-6 hour game with a super simple storyline. At most you'll need a short synopsis and you'll be ready to go.

It's free on Origin at the moment by the way (last I heard) tho, so you might want to grab it and give it a spin.

It's a direct sequel, but the first one was a 4-6 hour game with a super simple storyline. At most you'll need a short synopsis and you'll be ready to go.

It's free on Origin at the moment by the way (last I heard) tho, so you might want to grab it and give it a spin.

I have it, I just never finished it.

Oh cool this is out! Seems like a good way to have a chill weekend.. I remember playing through the original during one chill Sunday.

Arthos

Holy shit.

This is coming out tomorrow?! I'm getting this as soon as it hits the store. I loved the first one. My gosh, this month just flew by.

Meffer

One thing I love about SteamWorld was the sense of the type of technology presented. In the first game as you dug deeper and deeper the tech became more advanced but it felt "off" like there was a reason why it all but disappeared. It was genuinely creepy.

nick_b

Had no idea this was coming out tomorrow. Very tempting. The original was great. Still need to finish Heist sometime.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Getting Dig2 for sure. I'm also very much looking forward to Heist2 *nudge-wink-nudge*

I asked in the review thread, but are there any version differences? I want to pick it up a couple places; Switch is already a lock.

Also can I pre-buy / preload this?

mjc

I asked in the review thread, but are there any version differences? I want to pick it up a couple places; Switch is already a lock.

Also can I pre-buy / preload this?

They apparently developed the game primarily around the Switch, but I'm assuming whatever they could hit on there is the same on PC or PS4. (60fps, etc)

poussi

I really liked the original game and based on reviews this may be even better. I'm currently playing Samus Returns and this may be a bit too similar to play straight after, so maybe I'll finish Yakuza 0 too before buying.

bosh

Didn't play the first one, when you get the games ending is it over or are you able to explore the game world more? Reading through reviews it looks like there are many secret areas to find and explore.

If it does end, is there a new game plus that brings anything over?

Didn't play the first one, when you get the games ending is it over or are you able to explore the game world more? Reading through reviews it looks like there are many secret areas to find and explore.

If it does end, is there a new game plus that brings anything over?

You can still explore the world freely after finishing it.

What time do titles usually show up on Switch? I have to get on a plane at 9am eastern and would like to buy this before if possible...

Just finished the first one on PC, nice game. Not sure yet if I wanna pay full price for it on Switch or just wait for a Steam sale..

Top Bottom