• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 GI information (Spartan OPs, multi, etc) [Update: Campaign/More Details]

TheOddOne

From the tail of the article:
We have more Halo 4 content to share then can fit in one article. We'll be rolling out additional interviews and articles all month at gameinformer.com/halo4. Watch our detailed interview with audio director Sotaro Tojima, and learn about the suprising composer writing music for the game. Take a closer look at art from the game, and learn more abour the mysterious sphere called Requiem. And don't miss our dedicated week of multiplayer stories. All this and more is on the way in the coming weeks

Chinner

Banned
hey guys,

halo 4 is the first AAAA title it will be really good and be similar to halo but different.

*copies cod*

please buy our game it's very unique fun it has guns and stuff.

Danny 117

I really would have been happy if they just gave us Halo 3.5 with updated graphics.

Seriously. I've started playing Halo 3 again and I prefer the slow pace of this game compared to reach. Equipment > AA's for me. Bring back my bubble shield!

I don't think any more information can change my mind on this one. Sprint as standard? Instant respawn? Random weapon drops?

That's not the Halo I know.

/endrant

TheOddOne

Sprint being standard is fine by me, but I do hope they nerf that it doesn't become 2-hit-run-up-on-a-guy-and-get-kill thing it has become in Reach. I fucking hate that.

AceLegacy

I really would have been happy if they just gave us Halo 3.5 with updated graphics.
Thats not the halo I want. If you want the same old and moldy gameplay from Halo 3 then do as you have been and keep playing it. I will embrace this new Halo with open arms!

I won't pass judgement until it actually comes out. It does seem like they are trying to CoD-ize Halo and I was never a fan of CoD multiplayer. The singleplayer story seems promising though.

I do hope they really improve the graphics on Halo 5 on the Xbox 720 and go 1080p.

Lakitu

st5fu
GI's description of a concept art sounds awesome:
a giant squid inhabiting a jungle habitat with a huge ceiling for a skybox with giant pillars coming out of it.

Sojgat

The full article only mentions a slot for modifications but doesn't state specifically that it's for weapon mods, which is a relief. It could be for something like deployable items, Bubbleshield?

Elginer

Granted I only casually play MP and am.much.more drawn to the SP and this looks amazing. Spartan ops also sounds like tons of fun and unique. The additions in Mp sound interesting and im all for evolving the mp. as much as i hate to say it, it needs to.move.forward to.bring in new players. although some may really hate it. we'll see how it all shakes out soom nuff. the campaign though sounds exciting and jst wat the serie needed.

TheOddOne

Granted I only casually play MP and am.much.more drawn to the SP and this looks amazing. Spartan ops also sounds like tons of fun and unique. The additions in Mp sound interesting and im all for evolving the mp. as much as i hate to say it, it needs to.move.forward to.bring in new players. although some may really hate it. we'll see how it all shakes out soom nuff. the campaign though sounds exciting and jst wat the serie needed.
They tried that with Reach, adding Bloom and AA did nothing for the series. People left in droves.

The Spartan Ops thing does seem like an interesting way to do "episodic content." The promise of episodic games/content has been around for a while and has never really panned out. It seems like they might've finally found a way to do it.

soultron

Banned
So has Frankie done the podcast where he said he'd clarify the MP details? I'm not going to get upset about any of this. I'm not really a huge HALO fan, but I can see how these decisions might stir the nerves of hardcore enthusiasts. Waiting to hear from Frankie and to see how it plays.

TheOddOne

So has Frankie done the podcast where he said he'd clarify the MP details? I'm not going to get upset about any of this. I'm not really a huge HALO fan, but I can see how these decisions might stir the nerves of hardcore enthusiasts. Waiting to hear from Frankie and to see how it plays.
Nope, we don't have a ETA on the next podcast.

Rigest

Neo Member
Spartans Ops sounds great (but really, couldn't they have come up with a better name?). I was amazed to read that this content will be completely free and new missions each week? Wow, makes you wonder why I had to pay for all those multiplayer maps over the years, which seems like they require less work.

Izayoi

Banned
The only thing left to clarify is whether or not they're implementing ADS.

monome

Smarter ennemies is yeah!

Rightfully executed it is the vest thing.

Hioefully proletheans but i can deal with sentinels or mind crontolled things

soultron

Banned
can someone remind me what ads is?

Aim Down Sights. LT in Call of Duty brings up the gun's ironsights or scope.

Since I've been beaten like a speed bag, I'll add that ADS auto-aim lets you snap-to-target by tapping the LT when your cross hair is close to a target.

Chinner

Banned
Aim Down Sights. LT in Call of Duty brings up the gun's ironsights or scope.

Since I've been beaten like a speed bag, I'll add that ADS auto-aim lets you snap-to-target by tapping the LT when your cross hair is close to a target.

ah i wasnt off then. wouldn't be surprised if they add ads at this pace then.

TheOddOne

My early-morning memory is foggy, but I remember reading a GAF thread today about how Frankie was going to do a podcast where he'd clarify. Surprised a date wasn't mentioned.
We will have a podcast, but I guess they want to add stuff or clearify more after the reactions.

soultron

Banned
A prison term for anyone that uses that.

COD MP might not implement that, but SP does. The one thing that COD MP does have is sticky aiming that assists players track moving targets. It made sniping really difficult because anyone running by your sights would throw your cursor off. I always turned it off in MP.

def sim

COD MP might not implement that, but SP does. The one thing that COD MP does have is sticky aiming that assists players track moving targets. It made sniping really difficult because anyone running by your sights would throw your cursor off. I always turned it off in MP.

MP has it though not as strong of an effect. It's what makes quickscoping possible.

I mean in SP, at that point you're not even playing the game.

Just saw the scans
graphics are really good
better than reach

I think that's and understatement. This is how futuristic space environments are suppose to look! This has just reset the standard of environmental detail and lighting of the FPS genre. Can't wait to see what this team can do with a next gen xbox in their hands.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Here's a summary of the non-multiplayer stuff.

• Halo 4 is set in 2557 - four years, seven months and ten days since the FUD was split into two and the finale of the events of Halo 3.
  • True native 720p with FXAA
  • New HUD, features subtle paralla movement during athetic actions and additional visual cues indicating that you are actually wearing a helmet.
  • Chief, Cortana and other characters animated with the assistance of motion capture.
  • Cortana impending rampancy will be a critical theme as will be exploring Master Chief as a person.
  • Cortana has chosen a new visual identity whilst the Chief has been sleeping.
  • The Covenant, at least Elites and Grunts, return but are not the primary enemy.
  • The FUD eventually crash lands on Requiem, a planet enclosed in a massive Dyson Shell.
  • A new faction from Reqium is introduced. Like the Covenant they will have unique and different enemy types, weapons and equipment. "If anything, they're kind of elevated in terms of their intelligence and complexity relative to the Covenant."
  • Huge, alive environments - a piece of concept art depicts a floating air squid in a jungle setting.
  • The skybox is filled with massive pillars reaching down from above and the surrounding view is painted by the inside of the Dyson Shell.
  • Game is split between Campaign and Infinity - the new term of the entire multiplayer experience seperate from the Camapign.
  • Multiplier directly and in-directly ties into the Campaign.
  • Multiplayer features Spartan IV's - adult volenteers taken from the the best of special ops soliders, equippe with a new version of the Mjolnir armour (lightweight variation) and deployed onboard the UNSC Infinity.
  • The UNSC Infinity is the largest ship the UNSC has ever created. Over three kilmetres long, it was designed with cutting edge technology and features some additional technological enhancements provided by the study of Forerunner technology - including faster and more accurate slipspace travel.
  • The UNSC is deployed on a top scret mission into deep space but will cross paths with the Master Chief during the campaign.
  • The Spartan IV's onboard train in the Infinity's "combat deck" (think holodeck or Danger room). The deck and simulate any known environment and plays host the the multiplayer games players are familar with.
  • Firefight is absent and it is stated that there are no plans for it to return.
  • New Co-Op mode called Spartan Ops for up to four players in online Campaign-esque missions.
  • Spartan OPs introduces new movies sequences and missions on a weekly basis which tells the story of the UNSC Infinity's mission and battles the new Spartan IV's face.
  • Spartan Op missions are objective based and feature new content, events and locations each week. Spartan Ops missions also reward Spartan Points and feature selectable difficulty levels like Campaign.
  • Spartan Ops missions are not DLC, they are included in the overall Halo 4 package but it is unclear if the content is available on the disc or must be downloaded separately.
  • Weapons in the overal sandbox include Assault Rifle, Battle Rifle, DMR, Assault Carbine, Covenant Carbine, Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, Sniper Rifle, Magnum and Plasma Pistol. There are numerous unrevealed, new weapons.

And Multiplayer details summary.

• Loadouts are composed of a primary and secondary weapon, a grenade type, armour ability and modifications. It is unclear how the modification system works or what things it modifies or how.
  • Returning Armour Abilities include Hologram, Jet-Pack and Camo. A new ability to see through walls was shown and Sprint is now a baseline ability all players will have access to at all times.
  • FFA Variant, Regicide. Lead slayer is "King" - each of the King;s kills raises his "bounty". The bounty is claimed by whomever kills the King.
  • In Team Slayer (not confirmed for other gametypes), players can respawn instantly after death if they choose. Additionally, power weapons are introduced into a game on a random timer and appear at random drop points on the map.
  • Medals are turning including new medals for "revenge kills" and for causing a distraction.

Doffen

The Campaign and Spartan OPs sounds great! And I’m excited to check out what the multiplayer will become of as well.

Top Bottom