• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

Zemm

yup that's pretty much right with it being a playstyle, I've noticed it way more recently that people are pretty much using all their cards in every round then relying on topdecks for the rest of the match. It's a tactic that's probably more effective than it should be and works better with SK (which we're seeing a lot of) because of cards like Hjalmer, but like I said, it's not really a huge problem right now. I would like there to be a less reliance on round 1 though because that's always the longest by far, but I dunno how you go about that.

Well I dunno, I've lost too many RP this season to really want to cry and climb out. I don't think having a ranked mode that discourages people from playing is a good idea. I'm also finding that I don't like being able to play only one card per turn.

I dont feel it limited at all. Dont know what faction you playing, but im playing Monsters and feel i have a huge variety of tools that can work and i can counter multiple decks. Right now only having real trouble against NR machies as its very OP against monsters. Against other factions when i lose i just feel i could have done better and if i start losing alot i just make 1 or 2 changes in my deck to counter a situation i see its happening often, and that brings me back.

Im not a veteran player, i just started playing in the open beta. Reached yesterday rank 13 and im now overing between 2000 and 2400 mmr.

If anything this game makes me want to try build and experiment other factions and other decks. If you get too atached to the same deck you dont go far. ppl will find counters to popular decks. Right now the most popular in my rank is by far the Skelliga bears and axemans, so i just made some changes in my deck to counter them a little better, and its been working nice.

I want to play monsters but I don't have leshen, caranthir, crones. I have ge'els, succubus, and all the other silvers, bronzes to run em but I'm missing those key cards.

I shouldn't have taken premium priscilla cause it looked nice over Caranthir ;_;

Stalwart

Actually managed to beat one of those OP SK Axemen deck with Mulligan Scoia'tel...

He had CA and won the first round xD

Axemen is probably the worst deck out of the current SK options.

CDPR really takes far too long to roll out patches considering this is a beta. I see some people saying it's because of consoles but if that's the case they really need to figure out a solution, this patch is already quite stale.

I love playing that Wild Hunt avatar because his screams are just the best and he sounds like big, dumb, loveable oaf.

Who taught you to play like THIS?
RAARRGHH!

Been trying out a NR witchers machines deck. Cept instead of foltest I'm running radovid.

Yeah I loose some boost value but the 2 locks and 8 dmg is really helping out. Also instead of reinforcements I'm using ADC to draw Nenneke or Witchers. Gives me some variance with Shani and extra str points for carry over at times.

Decks been working pretty well so far, it's pretty fun really.

edit: It hard counters foltest machines as well since radovid completely shuts down siege support.

Naar

You guys need to stop your bitching and just take a small break and come back.

I recently started a movement deck and I LOVE to play it but I get demolished once weather kicks in :\

Lost over 1000 points now >< I guess I'll go back to dwarves or mulligan deck until they fix weather. But god damn if movement isn't fun!

Swapping out Foltest for Radovid is making such a big difference for me.

I was struggling with Foltest machines but I didn't expect the swap would help this much.

edit: I've already regained 400 RP that I lost.

So I've gone from around 1250 RP back to 1900 RP at rank 12 in one night.

This deck is really fun and might be a sleeper. I've been beating even tier 1 decks like mid-range SK.

What I love about it is you have the option to go for the jugular in round 2 if you won round 1. SK just can't keep up with the tempo. I've won 2nd rounds where I was down 1 in the card count and pulled it off easily. Monsters can't keep up either with the amount of lock downs and dmg.

StMeph

So I've gone from around 1250 RP back to 1900 RP at rank 12 in one night.

Your rank is completely irrelevant; MMR is how the game evaluates matchmaking. Hitting a Rank is like having reached a certain cutoff at some point, but it doesn't actually reflect MMR. You can be matched against Rank 18s if that person has tanked down to your level.

Your rank is completely irrelevant; MMR is how the game evaluates matchmaking. Hitting a Rank is like having reached a certain cutoff at some point, but it doesn't actually reflect MMR. You can be matched against Rank 18s if that person has tanked down to your level.

Well aren't you a party pooper ;_;

I've given details about how this deck works really well in the current meta and you don't comment about that at all. XD

I guess going 17-6 means nothing then :(

even though I face the same shit that people do at higher levels.

JustinBB7

7-4 today, got up to 3k mmr, dropped a little below it at the end, thanks to opponent crashing during loading screen, game saying I won, but then I lost mmr anyway. Thanks CDPR!

Oh well still at 2988 now or something so 3k tomorrow and maybe rank 16 tomorrow then!

Zemm

They really should be pushing out little hotfixes here and there, and if they don't have the capability of doing that then that's something they need to work on, because the game is fucking dead right now with the streamers. I've not seen a single one say the game isn't shit right now.

JustinBB7

They really should be pushing out little hotfixes here and there, and if they don't have the capability of doing that then that's something they need to work on, because the game is fucking dead right now with the streamers. I've not seen a single one say the game isn't shit right now.

Guess you didn't watch Lifecoach and JJ today.

This game really was never that popular on twitch. The OG big streamers were only doing a 2 or 300 tops. Just now in the Open Beta are some of them starting to do 1k consistently. Lifecoach does around 2-3k if he's on. It's a really good day if the game hits 5k at once.

frontovik

Banned
Always remember to triple-check before using epidemic/scorch... I tunnel-visioned and used Kiera Metz's epidemic which affected my side, and costed me Round 2.

Then my opponent used Revive on Keira Metz during Round 3 .. and epidemic'ed his own bear even though he was winning. Pity win? Or maybe he was as careless as I was!

Just been playing casual the last couple of days. Not a single Skellige deck in 12 games. Also no loses in those 12 games either. Makes doing dailies a lot less stressful.

Zemm

Guess you didn't watch Lifecoach and JJ today.

I've seen both saying the game is bad right now and that's why they play SK all the time. What else was there?

Streamers have been surprisingly frank with their opinion on the game, usually they're a bit more reserved and don't shit on it as much. If it wasn't their job most of them would have stopped streaming it until the next patch.

JustinBB7

I've seen both saying the game is bad right now and that's why they play SK all the time. What else was there?

Streamers have been surprisingly frank with their opinion on the game, usually they're a bit more reserved and don't shit on it as much. If it wasn't their job most of them would have stopped streaming it until the next patch.

I said today, and they made a new ST deck and were having a lot of fun.

Rank 18!
smile.gif
Man this climb has been SLOOOOOOOWW. I was definitely spoiled by the large K factor they had previously that made climbing Ranks super fast. Gone are the days where on a good day I could climb 2 Ranks. I think this might actually be better for people like me who don't play Ranked for 8 hours a day to stay in a relatively high position on the ladder, but yeah, it feels worse compared to the previous fast rate of achieving Ranks.

Also I'm relatively proud of my 119-54 Win/Loss record. A win rate of about 68% at my position on the ladder is significantly higher than most of the people around me, according to gwent.io

I've been using another Crokeyz deck to climb: http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/22867-crokeyz-kambi-axemen . I did substitute Decoy for ADC, and Crokeyz himself has made further changes which I didn't actually like (Adding a 3rd shackles and Skellige Storm, removing Donar and the First light). Playing Vanilla Geralt seems like a weird choice, but it's been working out enough for me that I didn't really feel like changing it. (Regis: Higher Vamp or Renew would probably be top choices for substituting). There's definitely a more subtlety than one would initially expect in piloting the deck; identifying what threats you can shackle in earlier rounds and what threats you can let slide; how to sequence your cards so you have the highest possible chance in drawing all of your golds for your last round while being at least on even card advantage, etc. One thing that surprised me was how often straight up passing if you lose the coinflip is actually effective in letting you go to Round 3 with even card advantage. As of right now in the meta I think there's really only 2 decks that are really bad matchups for it, 1 being Scoia'Spell, and the other being the Northern Realms Weather Witches list by Smoonay.

JustinBB7

Rank 18!
smile.gif
Man this climb has been SLOOOOOOOWW. I was definitely spoiled by the large K factor they had previously that made climbing Ranks super fast. Gone are the days where on a good day I could climb 2 Ranks. I think this might actually be better for people like me who don't play Ranked for 8 hours a day to stay in a relatively high position on the ladder, but yeah, it feels worse compared to the previous fast rate of achieving Ranks.

Also I'm relatively proud of my 119-54 Win/Loss record. A win rate of about 68% at my position on the ladder is significantly higher than most of the people around me, according to gwent.io

I've been using another Crokeyz deck to climb: http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/22867-crokeyz-kambi-axemen . I did substitute Decoy for ADC, and Crokeyz himself has made further changes which I didn't actually like (Adding a 3rd shackles and Skellige Storm, removing Donar and the First light). Playing Vanilla Geralt seems like a weird choice, but it's been working out enough for me that I didn't really feel like changing it. (Regis: Higher Vamp or Renew would probably be top choices for substituting). There's definitely a more subtlety than one would initially expect in piloting the deck; identifying what threats you can shackle in earlier rounds and what threats you can let slide; how to sequence your cards so you have the highest possible chance in drawing all of your golds for your last round while being at least on even card advantage, etc. One thing that surprised me was how often straight up passing if you lose the coinflip is actually effective in letting you go to Round 3 with even card advantage. As of right now in the meta I think there's really only 2 decks that are really bad matchups for it, 1 being Scoia'Spell, and the other being the Northern Realms Weather Witches list by Smoonay.

Congrats, I'm heading towards 16 atm, about to start. I see more people playing vanilla Geralt lately on ladder. Always a surprise. But at least he sees some play now!

Well tried Lifecoach's new deck and went 0-3. Back to SK I guess.

Well that didn't work... 3-11 in the end, sigh. One loss because Milva bugged out and didn't return my archer for some reason.

I don't understand people complaining of the SK faction. I much more would prefer playing against a SK Axemen netdeck than a ST spelldeck. SO unfun and non-interactive. Against SK I win sometimes, but it's impossible to win against ST spelldeck unless you are teching against them.

Zemm

Spelltael is way less fun to play against but some monster decks just destroy it and it makes up like 2% of the ladder instead of the 50% SK does.

JustinBB7

Rank 18!
smile.gif

Wouldn't Renew be way better than Geralt in this deck? Can use Hjallmar twice that way to pretty much guarantee him for Kambi, let alone if enemy plays him as well. And could even renew Avalach to draw it. Might try it out sometime.

Aenima

I don't understand people complaining of the SK faction. I much more would prefer playing against a SK Axemen netdeck than a ST spelldeck. SO unfun and non-interactive. Against SK I win sometimes, but it's impossible to win against ST spelldeck unless you are teching against them.

The thing is ST spell decks are tricky to play, while SK Axemen + Bears is the easiest as it has alot of OP cards. Shildmaidens is a 21 point bronze card value in round 3. Hjalmar consistent 25 point gold while Tibor and Kayran got nerfed. Axeman is just broken when used with frost and tremors, luckly they are easely countered with cards like madroeme, igni, scorches, etc.

I play monsters, and very rarely i lose against a ST spell deck, i just end with much more bodies in round 1, then round 2 i just scorch the high value bronzes ending usually in a 2-0 for me. SK is more tricky, even with the counter cards i have placed in my deck, they still have so many OP cards the games always end being close if i win.

Yep, interesting stats.

SK needs a nerf, but a slight one, they aren't as OP as some people believes. Just a slight touch to Axemen (or to Frost, that would help) and to Hjalmar, maybe with that it could be enough.

In fact, it seems ST and NG needs more a buff than SK needs a nerf.

Zemm

Axemen and bears are what make SK so unfun to play against so those two will almost certainly get nerfed, shieldmaidens are way too good so will get nerfed, hjalmer will lose 2 points or so like Tibor is my guess, and then the weather changes will hopefully even out the rest of the factions with a few buffs here and there.

Swim is very against the graveyard type of gameplay SK can get away with as well so maybe that needs looking at.

Stalwart

They aren't going to nerf axemen. It's the most easily countered card out of all of SK's options.

SK needs a touch to probably 3 of its worst offenders, Shieldmaidens being the worst of them all most likely. Anything more than that and they'll just end up like NG. Frost being changed is a great idea too since if you nerf SK too hard the entire ladder is just going to be full of Monsters.

Exentryk

Been playing some casual games while making interesting decks. The game is fun even against the AI.

I can honestly use some new cards though. Hopefully CDPR release an update soon.

Wouldn't Renew be way better than Geralt in this deck? Can use Hjallmar twice that way to pretty much guarantee him for Kambi, let alone if enemy plays him as well. And could even renew Avalach to draw it. Might try it out sometime.

Yeah like I mentioned I think Renew would be a top candidate for replacing Vanilla Geralt, I don't actually think it's an obvious improvement though. The deck wins 1 round using Axeman + Weather + Bran -> Raiders, and wins another round with Kambi + vomiting all your golds. Renew is only good with Hjalmar in your deck (but still might be great for golds your opponent runs), and when used on Hjalmar that still means you are one gold body short in that round where you make Kambi blow up.

Regis is the other replacement that seems like it'd be really good, since it helps against Scoia'Spell and Nilfgaard Reveal that I've seen be more popular on the ladder recently. Normally however it's really easy to get Geralt to 13 strength in the Kambi round, whereas Regis normally struggles to hit that amount.

JustinBB7

Yeah like I mentioned I think Renew would be a top candidate for replacing Vanilla Geralt, I don't actually think it's an obvious improvement though. The deck wins 1 round using Axeman + Weather + Bran -> Raiders, and wins another round with Kambi + vomiting all your golds. Renew is only good with Hjalmar in your deck (but still might be great for golds your opponent runs), and when used on Hjalmar that still means you are one gold body short in that round where you make Kambi blow up.

Regis is the other replacement that seems like it'd be really good, since it helps against Scoia'Spell and Nilfgaard Reveal that I've seen be more popular on the ladder recently. Normally however it's really easy to get Geralt to 13 strength in the Kambi round, whereas Regis normally struggles to hit that amount.

I crafted the deck and played 4 games, went 2-2, I lost 1 because I just had shit draws, and the other because I didn't have any golds left besides kambi so he was useless haha.

I crafted the deck and played 4 games, went 2-2, I lost 1 because I just had shit draws, and the other because I didn't have any golds left besides kambi so he was useless haha.

If you need help learning how to play the deck (like when we did with tragicstar's weather monsters list) just ping me and I'll play a few practice games with you.

Naar

So I tried different variations for Scoiatel and they really need a buff, especially for movement decks.

When it works it is extremely powerful, but it takes time to set up and I feel very exposed and a movement deck needs to have a stacked row, but then you get punished by igni or weather. So I am not sure how I am supposed to stack without getting punished?

I also made an elf only deck that was mostly about buffing braenn and it was indeed powerful, but I felt like my whole plan was buffing her and kinda fell apart if I didn't draw her. But holy god when she got buffed she MURDERED

AndersK

I came across the most hilariously weird and effective deck on reddit. Its Northern Realms with Foltest. It has 37 cards. It does not suck.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/23347-4k-mmr-63-wr-zerglings

Essentially you play a flurry of Kaedweni Sargeants, temerian infantry, blue stribes commandoes and so on, and toss back stuff with little value with field medics, and to dance around weather. You either zerg or trick your way to a r1 win (Thaler + Dun Banner light cavalry, which is at 5 or 6 power each due to sargeants and foltests.) Aretuza Adepts drown stuff and thin your deck.

Then you bleed them dry, and finish with Witchers r3. By the time you end the game you'll likely have as thin a deck as most opponents. I've had ridicoulous chains of Medics tossing back commandos, giving reaver scouts which summons more medics to throw back the scout. And temerian infantry ends up as better crones half the time. Gold are Triss:Butt, Dandelion, Roche (very replacable) and royal degree.

Handles monsters in all forms really well, Nilfgaard, Spellatael and most of skellige. Axemen are still tough, but you can really limit how many tics their frost gets. You have 3 blue stripes commandoes as well. People don't yet know what the eff your gameplan is, so you can get many wins from the element of surprise. The mulligan is occasionally troublesome, but even then, you have so many cards you want to draw, the the few you don't rarely matter.

Even if it crashes and burns, its very fun!

Just started a ranked match where I was stuck in the mulligan screen while the match started. Nothing I could do to get out of it, had to Alt+F4 out of the game. That's kind of bullshit.

I came across the most hilariously weird and effective deck on reddit. Its Northern Realms with Foltest. It has 37 cards. It does not suck.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/23347-4k-mmr-63-wr-zerglings

Yep, I tried this, it's surprisingly very decent. I was getting beat on by the creator of the deck last night and I had little idea how to play against it. That said though, after having played a few rounds of ranked with it I still feel like I prefer normal 25 card decks. The mulligan is absolutely horrible with this deck, and I've lost more than a few matches going into the last round holding 1 of the witchers and drawing another witcher as my last card :/

Been doing pretty well with this deck:
http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/23287-ignore-do-not-upvote
(I substituted Old Speartip with Igni, because I don't have Old Speartip, and because I see more Monsters than I see NR decks, and Igni being out of the meta is great when playing against Monster players who try to keep big Ekimaras). Deck is much simpler to play than the Kambi Skellige deck I was playing earlier, and I think performing better for me. (At 3.8k-ish MMR now)

Yep, I tried this, it's surprisingly very decent. I was getting beat on by the creator of the deck last night and I had little idea how to play against it. That said though, after having played a few rounds of ranked with it I still feel like I prefer normal 25 card decks. The mulligan is absolutely horrible with this deck, and I've lost more than a few matches going into the last round holding 1 of the witchers and drawing another witcher as my last card :/

Been doing pretty well with this deck:
http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/23287-ignore-do-not-upvote
(I substituted Old Speartip with Igni, because I don't have Old Speartip, and because I see more Monsters than I see NR decks, and Igni being out of the meta is great when playing against Monster players who try to keep big Ekimaras). Deck is much simpler to play than the Kambi Skellige deck I was playing earlier, and I think performing better for me. (At 3.8k-ish MMR now)

Yeah, I was playing with that NR deck a bit too. If you're up against another straight buffing deck you'll probably do pretty OK, but most forms of control will completely wreck you. All your unit's power is leveled out so GIgni, Scorch will essentially end the round, and Rain or Fog will be extra effective, and with mulligans being a nightmare you can't guarantee you'll have a Scout to clear weather or a medic to move things out. Plus your Medics might preemptively pull Temerian Infrantryman or Light Cavs.

Naar

So I played with my Braenn deck more. Holy shit is she powerful and can turn the game for me! But I noticed that I usually win if I can draw her and buff her. If I don't draw her by the time round 2 STARTS I am basically screwed.

I just adjusted the deck in a way that even if I don't draw her I can still manage somehow. I will see how it turns out.

I am still struggling with weather cards with this deck though, although I am doing better against weather than I did a few days ago with this deck.

My only real complaint is that you really need everything to be in order to use Braenn effectively. Sometimes it takes me all 3 rounds to buff her adequately. But the more I play this deck, the more I find ways to play it more effectively though!

frontovik

Banned
Been doing very well thus far with a home-made NR Foltest deck. Got to play strategically without going on auto-pilot .. and I dare say it's what Gwent should be like.

Top Bottom