• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Boat 2 [Mafia] |OT| Electric Boogalove

Verelios

I'm not going to call hypocrisy but I have a feeling when you let mind share go along for too long you'll get things like someone coming back Day 2 and calling for a lynch based on pretense.
Penny for your thoughts, Muffin? You and your partner are new this season, which means I don't have any reads on you.
Prod
I expect at least 16 pennies worth of thoughts!

No but seriously, we did have time to talk in our respective boats, so I'd hope we're not totally winging it...

... but alas it seems he is. *shrugs*
Fluffing prod
Why not, indeed.

Think I have a decent opinion of the people posting so far, at any rate.
Nothing
You're trying too hard.
Shade
God save us from the queen, then, because you're trying too hard. :p

At least your prod vote has said more than what your partner has said so far.
Second shade (which is odd, given how half the game literally hasn't checked in yet)
I mean, Dr. Worm himself has pretty much done nothing but shitpost. Unless someone thinks a couple of votes with no reason is quality discussion... :p
Again, some more shade on Dr. Worm, when Sophia hasn't done much between prod a player, throw shade and give one liners.
Vote count is working for me too.
Fluff
Votes and lynches are the biggest way for town to get information. They draw lines in the sand, so to speak, and allow us to see where everyone stood. No lynching on Day 1 takes away that advantage from us, as we get no information from vote patterns. Plus, if a game starts on an odd number of players (Like say, this game after pairs are taken into account) you take away one of town's mislynches by no lynching.

Why would you think a lynch on Day 1 reveals nothing? Surely you have some reads on people right now, yes?
Superficial fluff...this conversation happens every day 1 so eh.
I mean I'm hardly jumping only on to easy topics here, especially when you take into account the private chat me and Crimson are talking with each other.

But remind me again of how much Verelios and Dragonz have added to the game so far? Especially miss "I'm more interested in writing my terrible Game of Thrones fanfiction than actually playing the game" :p
You are really fixated on us for some reason. I joked earlier that you had some agenda but now I'm wondering if there's some reason why.
True, which is why I haven't quite considered them alignment indicative on it's own yet.

(Also I didn't say anything about Fat yet! Or at least not in public ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
Walking it back.

I mean, we're early in day 1 so I usually let this go and wait until two days or so has passed, but I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from when I say you're projecting. You've said nothing of worth all game besides trying to police the thread.

Sophia

You are really fixated on us for some reason. I joked earlier that you had some agenda but now I'm wondering if there's some reason why.

Sorry for being skeptical of you, while also following slightly different trends than what my partner is doing.

And yeah, I'm playing a bit passively aggressively with the projecting, I don't deny that.

Ty4on

I'd be a bit cautious about asking people this, since some PR's might have primarily discussed those and be forced to lie about it.
The good old "Don't force scum to lie, they could be PRs!"

If town PR just avoid talking about PR discussions?

Ughhhh i'm so tired but I read through the thread anyway. Good morning, Gafia! I smell MURDER on the horizon, which means it must be my second game. \o/

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm actually happy Vere posted that because both Sophia and Crimson have been bugging me for some reason and I couldn't really put it in words. I wanna say tryhard, but I dunno. It's like pulling at every little thread to see what sticks.

Also why the fuck am I agreeing with Vere

Ty4on

I'm actually happy Vere posted that because both Sophia and Crimson have been bugging me for some reason and I couldn't really put it in words. I wanna say tryhard, but I dunno. It's like pulling at every little thread to see what sticks.

Yeah, Vere is cool imo.

CrimSoph have been bothering me too, but kinda don't wanna put a vote down. Crimson is quite engaging and scum Crimson is a coaster master from memory so it seems odd that he'd ping scummy this early.
tbh not all that much
Rough number?

kingkitty

So I probably won't have a real read list until at least a few days into this Day Phase. But for now I suggest we aggressively tunnel SophiaCrimson.

CrimsonFist does a joke post to 'randomly' vote for Trigger. But then on the same page takes what seems like another jokey post by Ty4on a little too seriously. I think it's weird.

Sophia saying "you're trying too hard" against MahDragon's early joke post seems weird too.

The slight weird makes my neck slightly itch with slight suspicion. Enough for me to suggest we wait til they both fall asleep and then aggressively turbo. Or not, but anyways this will be my vote at the moment.

vote: CrimsonFist

We both got here at the same time...we're already in sync. Reading through as well.

I have to say - you two might be one of the most perfect pairings in this game.

lol

So I probably won't have a real read list until at least a few days into this Day Phase. But for now I suggest we aggressively tunnel SophiaCrimson.

CrimsonFist does a joke post to 'randomly' vote for Trigger. But then on the same page takes what seems like another jokey post by Ty4on a little too seriously. I think it's weird.

Sophia saying "you're trying too hard" against MahDragon's early joke post seems weird too.

The slight weird makes my neck slightly itch with slight suspicion. Enough for me to suggest we wait til they both fall asleep and then aggressively turbo. Or not, but anyways this will be my vote at the moment.

vote: CrimsonFist

Uh...

Part of me wants to say "It's day one let people joke"

but the other is like

3e3.jpg

nin1000

Banned
I am glad that my other part decided to join the game, I will try to catch up but won't be available tomorrow since I won't be in town. Daryll will be there to replace me for tomorrow. I have some small and unimportant reads but will release them as soon as I have made up my mind about these individuals.
It's my first time playing a love boat game so I don't really know how to make up my mind about the technique.

What are your thoughts on this.
If player 1 is acting suspicious, player 2 however is doing a good job in covering his tracks. Is that a good enough reason to kill both of em ?

Or rather this.

If player 1 is a pain in the ass, player 2 however is doing a great town job. Same question. Is that a good enough reason to kill both of them ?

Will go to bed now and will try to come in with some thoughts tomorrow morning and some better posts as soon as I come back.

The amount of posts will be a force to behold thought.

Ourobolus

Banned
I am glad that my other part decided to join the game, I will try to catch up but won't be available tomorrow since I won't be in town. Daryll will be there to replace me for tomorrow. I have some small and unimportant reads but will release them as soon as I have made up my mind about these individuals.
It's my first time playing a love boat game so I don't really know how to make up my mind about the technique.

If player 1 is acting suspicious, player 2 however is doing a good job in covering his tracks. Is that a good enough reason to kill both of em ?

Or rather this.

If player 1 is a pain in the ass, player 2 however is doing a great town job. Same question. Is that a good enough reason to kill both of them ?

Will go to bed now and will try to come in with some thoughts tomorrow morning and some better posts as soon as I come back.

I'll let you know if Darryl is doing a good job

It's early day 1, poking anything that moves is the best way to start to generate discussion.

I wasn't sure if Ty was joking or not, I queried it and got a decent response, and aside from that, my joke post was when there was literally nothing else to go on, so this is a pretty weak argument.

And Sophia and I are in completely different time zones, so good luck catching us both asleep.

Aren't you a newbie? How did you caught the reference?

So you caught the opening reference but you can't spot obvious troll votes? Weird.

I'm a newbie on Gafia, not Gaf.

And I was trying to make them write posts I can get something from. Shitposting and trolling isn't really a great thing to get reads.

Sorian

Banned
I think Ty was just making a joke at my ability to post a lot really really fast, especially when I have a private chat at my disposal. :p

And I'm keeping most of my opinions to mine and Crimson's private chat for now. I have a slight gut town-lean on Nomadic tho, if only because I feel if he was scum he would have asked the no lynch there instead of here.

That is so easy to fake though and does't even necessarily need to be faked depending on how new Nomadic is. The base assumption here is that people make the most use of their private chats even if we've had seasons of evidence that this isn't the case.

Or rather this.

Being a pain in the ass isn't a reason to lynch 99% of the time but to answer the first question. There is no solid answer, you take the boat as a whole which means the pros of a lynch have to outweigh the cons. Which is kind of a non-answer but your question had no substance behind it anyway.

-----

Nothing in particular I grabbed as a quote but to Verelions, Ouro, and Kitty. Nah, while I do see Crimson and Sophia as being slightly hypocritical (mostly for Crimson calling out things his partner is doing), that's not really a scum tell. They aren't the same person and obviously Crimson isn't going to analyze Sophia, he knows her alignment.

Sophia

Or rather this.

It's kind of a case by case thing, although I'm in favor of looking act the actions of a pair as a whole. In the first Mafia game I unknowingly caught Coppa/Flame because they weren't on the same track together, but neither was acting suspicious on their own.

Natiko

Banned

Or rather this.

I would say that I would focus in on the person being suspicious, regardless of how their partner is. I feel like if you see someone that is acting scummy then they have to answer for that. No free passes. Especially since some of the people in this game can do a good job of masking when they're scum.

Fat4all

Banned

Or rather this.

I think it's very much a "two sides of the same coin" situation. Both players are representing themselves in different ways, and it's up to me to take both into account when deciding whether or not to trust them. For all intents and purposes, it's one "player/role" instead of two, just with more to parse out. Personally, I like the idea of having two different reads on the same role that I'm trying to read.

Gives me more to mull over when I'm drunk.

Also, I don't think I'll find contrasting partners (ie. one helpful, one unhelpful) to be a lynchable offense most of the time. It's more about how they are avoiding things or the way in which they say things that interest me more when it comes to those pairs.

Sophia

That is so easy to fake though and does't even necessarily need to be faked depending on how new Nomadic is. The base assumption here is that people make the most use of their private chats even if we've had seasons of evidence that this isn't the case.

It is, yeah. Hence why it's just a slight gut read. It's possible they faked it, but what I know about Nomadic makes me think that isn't the case for the moment. Plus I feel a little bit confident in it because I came to that gut read in our private chat before Natiko chimed in about the status of their chat.

I think it's very much a "two sides of the same coin" situation. Both players are representing themselves in different ways, and it's up to me to take both into account when deciding whether or not to trust them. For all intents and purposes, it's one "player/role" instead of two, just with more to parse out. Personally, I like the idea of having two different reads on the same role that I'm trying to read.

Gives me more to mull over when I'm drunk.

Also, I don't think I'll find contrasting partners (ie. one helpful, one unhelpful) to be a lynchable offense most of the time. It's more about how they are avoiding things or the way in which they say things that interest me more when it comes to those pairs.

I agree

Ty4on

It is, yeah. Hence why it's just a slight gut read. It's possible they faked it, but what I know about Nomadic makes me think that isn't the case for the moment. Plus I feel a little bit confident in it because I came to that gut read in our private chat before Natiko chimed in about the status of their chat.
What's Crimson's view?
I guess he can answer himself so Crimson: what is your read of Nomad?

Ty4on

Didn't think of this right away, but why would that be townie? Wouldn't scum!Nomad also fail to check scum chat before asking it and scum!Natiko notice that Nomad doesn't check scum chat?

(I'm assuming scum chat was open for a some days pregame like the boats were)

Sophia

Didn't think of this right away, but why would that be townie? Wouldn't scum!Nomad also fail to check scum chat before asking it and scum!Natiko notice that Nomad doesn't check scum chat?

(I'm assuming scum chat was open for a some days pregame like the boats were)

I took it as a slight town tell because I figured that Nomad would be more in contact with his scummates if that were the case. Again, it is entirely possible that scum!Nomad failed to ask scum chat at all before asking it, but it just feels like the kind of thing that a scum chat would have reigned in beforehand.

Sorian

Banned
Something feels off about the way Ty is poking this but I can't quite put my finger on it. Like I agree with him and I'm happy about the digging deeper even if I've already written off Crimson/Sophia for today but it feels like too much effort to keep Nomad on the table.

franconp

I took it as a slight town tell because I figured that Nomad would be more in contact with his scummates if that were the case. Again, it is entirely possible that scum!Nomad failed to ask scum chat at all before asking it, but it just feels like the kind of thing that a scum chat would have reigned in beforehand.

So scum!Nomad would be more in contact with his partners but town!Nomad wouldn't with his lover?

That kinda doesn't make sense. To me it's tells me nothing. And I always add scum points at the one that brings up the no lynch option.

Something feels off about the way Ty is poking this but I can't quite put my finger on it. Like I agree with him and I'm happy about the digging deeper even if I've already written off Crimson/Sophia for today but it feels like too much effort to keep Nomad on the table.

Why do I agree with you on Ty?

Sorian

Banned
So scum!Nomad would be more in contact with his partners but town!Nomad wouldn't with his lover?

That kinda doesn't make sense. To me it's tells me nothing. And I always add scum points at the one that brings up the no lynch option.

I feel like scum has never been the one to bring up "no lynch" first.

If anything, I want to scum read Kark for popping in to say hi and not being here for his favorite conversation piece.

I don't know, why do you?

Ty4on

lol
That's effort?
FWIW Nat hasn't been much of an entity today and Nomad really seems like a player who can slip through the cracks by excusing himself for being a bad player. If he's able to keep a natural play as scum then making that no lynch post isn't very alignment indicative.

Ty4on

Retroid (maybe butchering his name, was the partner to Kyanrute) did it in Love Boat 1 iirc

I remember reading that scum chat and Retroid's partner - Flame_AC - commented that he had to react to it because he always reacted to no lynchers.

Sophia

If anything, I want to scum read Kark for popping in to say hi and not being here for his favorite conversation piece.

I'm pretty positive scum proposing a no lynch has happened before in a game I've played, but I don't remember what game it actually was and I think it's only happened once so...

I went back through Ty's posts and the most immediate thing that jumped at me was the fact that there were more shitposts and less reads then I expected. He's had some reads on you near the start, a few reads and questions for me and Crimson, and some questions for Nomad/Natiko (which, as Crimson pointed out, could be taken as slight role fishing)

Sophia

I mean, if you were playing scum, wouldn't you be more active with discussing strategies and stuff? If one person was just kind of inactive showing up, you'd probably be asking the mod to ping them or something, or to find out if something's wrong. In contrast, Love Boat 1 had a lot of chats that had minimal use.

I could just be projecting how I'd play it if I was scum tho, I guess. *shrugs*

Ty4on

I mean, if you were playing scum, wouldn't you be more active with discussing strategies and stuff? If one person was just kind of inactive showing up, you'd probably be asking the mod to ping them or something, or to find out if something's wrong. In contrast, Love Boat 1 had a lot of chats that had minimal use.

Not really. Plenty of chats where some players barely interact. I remember a certain bussing because someone didn't show up~

Popmafia D1 lynch

Sorian

Banned
lol

That's effort?
FWIW Nat hasn't been much of an entity today and Nomad really seems like a player who can slip through the cracks by excusing himself for being a bad player. If he's able to keep a natural play as scum then making that no lynch post isn't very alignment indicative.

Like I said, I agree. So that's not even the issue. Reading Sophia's post below, I know what it is now, it's the discrepancy between how high volume shit post you are/were and how much you suddenly went in on this. Which isn't as bad since you have to move to real play eventually but it still bothered me.

Retroid (maybe butchering his name, was the partner to Kyanrute) did it in Love Boat 1 iirc

I remember reading that scum chat and Retroid's partner - Flame_AC - commented that he had to react to it because he always reacted to no lynchers.

I'm pretty positive scum proposing a no lynch has happened before in a game I've played, but I don't remember what game it actually was and I think it's only happened once so...

I went back through Ty's posts and the most immediate thing that jumped at me was the fact that there were more shitposts and less reads then I expected. He's had some reads on you near the start, a few reads and questions for me and Crimson, and some questions for Nomad/Natiko (which, as Crimson pointed out, could be taken as slight role fishing)

And fair point to love boat 1. I shouldn't have said never, I should have more said that I doubt it's actually indicitive of alignment.

franconp

That's true in a normal game but this is a pair game. The same can be said for both town and scum. Also Nomad was pretty active during the pre game.

Top Bottom