• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect creators say technology supports only two players at a time

Boonoo

WasteLand Soldier said:
yes i've seen a wii. 4 players in my home playing a wii has never happened tho and mario kart may as well not count either. its a different experience. so ok besides something like wii tennis where all 4 players are truly up and active, name something else as thats the only fair comparison.

Mario Kart with four players on motion controls is great! There's nothing like giving the person next to you a shove and watching them completely lose control as you speed by. Stuff like that is great in all the wii multiplayer games.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wasteland Soldier uses Rapid Spin!

It's not very effective.

Statement about the nunchuck and the Wii because for some reason it was missed and people are still unsure...

The nunchuck is a dummy device with an analog stick, accelerometer, and two buttons. It does no communication on it's own and must connect to the Wii Remote, which then allows Bluetooth communication with the console. That's why you can have a 4 Wii Remote + 4 nunchuck combo.

And no way this 2-person thing for Kinect is true... Microsoft won't launch it like that. Will they?

Ignis Fatuus said:
How exactly are you deciding what is a fair comparison or not?

tennis you are actually STANDING UP AND PLAYING. (insert natal standing joke :lol ) mario kart, smash, nsmb dont do anything that cant be experienced just sitting down and playing on the couch with the wiimote/chuck as you would with a normal controller. any other stand up and play game i can think of (bowling, punch out, resort, golf etc) is either people taking turns or 2 players.

Beth Cyra

WasteLand Soldier said:
yes i've seen a wii. 4 players in my home playing a wii has never happened tho and mario kart may as well not count either. its a different experience. so ok besides something like wii tennis where all 4 players are truly up and active, name something else as thats the only fair comparison.

So you want us to completely disregard some of the most popular games on the platform and some of there biggest selling points (Wii Sports, Smash Bros, Mario Kart Wii, and NSMB WII.) all because you haven't had it happen?

And yes it does count, same with Mario Party 8 also had four people at one time. Why is this something that you are trying to ignore?

Ignis Fatuus said:
Take your pick of first person shooters. Someone else can make a comprehensive list if they feel like proving the point, I don't buy casual games and don't feel like doing research.

Wasn't aware there were any besides Red Steel and maybe the Conduit. Did the Conduit have a Goldeneye mode?

TruePrime said:
So you want us to completely disregard some of the most popular games on the platform and some of there biggest selling points (Wii Sports, Smash Bros, Mario Kart Wii, and NSMB WII.) all because you haven't had it happen?

And yes it does count, same with Mario Party 8 also had four people at one time. Why is this something that you are trying to ignore?

no. youre missing the point. do you play wii tennis on the couch? NO. you get up and play. all the others you play on the couch.

Ignis Fatuus said:
Actually I play that sitting down. Wonderful feature, chairs.

Wii Play supports 4 people. A lot of casual shit does because they're meant to be party attractions.

you play tennis and golf on the couch? bowling too amirite?

Beth Cyra

WasteLand Soldier said:
no. youre missing the point. do you play wii tennis on the couch? NO. you get up and play. all the others yoyu play on the couch.

Okay so let me get this straight, it is okay that Kinect doesn't support 4 player support because Microsoft couldnt get there software in line to allow people to play on the couch?

The point isnt that four people can't stand and play it is they can't play 4 player at all, it would be the same if they where sitting on the couch, it would still be 2 people.

WasteLand Soldier said:
oh come on. who the fuck really plays ANYTHING with 4 players at the same time? IN ONE ROOM? geez man. even as far back as the days of arcades 4 player units were a rare specialty. what wii games have 4 players playing at the same time where you are actually all active? no smash doesnt count.

My friends and family do, we play the usual 4-player games, Halo 1-3, CoD (4,WaW, MW2), Powerstone, NBA Hangtime, NFL Blitz, Goldeneye 007, Mariokart, Daf Jam: FFNY, WCW/WWF games, SmashBros (It does count), and many more.

Just because you don't play 4-player games, doesn't mean everybody else don't.

Afrikan

Ignis Fatuus said:
Actually I play that sitting down. Wonderful feature, chairs.

Wii Play supports 4 people. A lot of casual shit does because they're meant to be party attractions.

Here you go.

I agree....I think we'll see similar PS3 type games that will have 4player for sure, but not using the Move controllers and more so just the PSEye like these games..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOXohr4XE-4&feature=related

those people seem to be having alot of fun and fit on screen..lol......and that was with the EyeToy's old tech.

spiderman123 said:
so basically wii motion control is still kicking ass.

In theory, sure.

GreenBikerDude said:
My friends and family do, we play the usual 4-player games, Halo 1-3, CoD (4,WaW, MW2), Powerstone, NBA Hangtime, NFL Blitz, Goldeneye 007, Mariokart, Daf Jam: FFNY, WCW/WWF games, SmashBros (It does count), and many more.

Just because you don't play 4-player games, doesn't mean everybody else don't.

To be fair, the point he was trying to make was how many 4-player motion controlled games are there where everyone is moving around at the same time. He just decided to be completely incoherent in making it. The fact is, though, if you wanted to do that on the Wii, you can. You simply cannot with Kinect as it stands (not sits) right now.

boiled goose

good with gravy
WasteLand Soldier said:
oh come on. who the fuck really plays ANYTHING with 4 players at the same time? IN ONE ROOM? geez man. even as far back as the days of arcades 4 player units were a rare specialty. what wii games have 4 players playing at the same time where you are actually all active? no smash doesnt count.

oh come on. Only a huge portion of wiis most succesful games are 4 player coop experiences.

Wii sports
Wii sports resort
NSMBW
mario kart wii
Rockband/guitar hero band games
Smash Brothers
Rabbid party games

all feature 4 player simultaneous multi

not saying that it is a necessary feature, but another annoying restriction.

ntropy

spiderman123 said:
so basically wii motion control is still kicking ass.
reggie.jpg

Cipherr

WasteLand Soldier said:
no. youre missing the point. do you play wii tennis on the couch? NO. you get up and play. all the others yoyu play on the couch.

you play tennis and golf on the couch? bowling too amirite?

No, its you thats missing the point, what the hell? 2 players only. No sitting, how in the fuck is this about how many Wii games that you will 'allow to count' that support 4 player simultaneous play?

Its late man you need some rest.

Sentry said:
Can you give me a game that would realistically use 4 Moves + 4 Navs? Plus 4 Navs would equal 120 bucks alone, and 4 Moves is of course 200..

Seems silly to say it's a limitation because the PS3 can't detect EIGHT friggin bluetooth devices..

Wtf, I didnt know this wait. So if your using the chuck and the move there can only be two players using both? There cant be 4 people all using chuck plus the move?

JWong

Banned
Like how the backup dancers in Dance Central don't matter, your family members can pretend to play even when they are not.

It's all in the mind.

OMG i cant believe none of you are understanding this. or are you all just playing blind just to have a reason to bash kinect? lets say kinect didnt even exist. take that 4 player list that was posted and probably 80-90% of those 4 player games are played sitting on the couch like the gamecube, the n64, the snes and the nes that came before it. doesnt take much advantage of wii's control scheme besides tilt funtion and MAYBE some waggle. again something that can be replaced by the press of a button.

now take the fact that again, acting like kinect doesnt exist, the whole wii scheme and motion controls were ment to make play easier by getting people OFF the couch to make play easier. less buttons, more motion. now which of those 4 player games allow 4 people to get up and have an experience that you COULDNT have on the gamecube, 64, snes or nes? Tennis and what else now? oh thats right. eveything else makes you take turns or play 2 players.

expy

Banned
WasteLand Soldier said:
OMG i cant believe none of you are understanding this. or are you all just playing blind just to have a reason to bash kinect? lets say kinect didnt even exist. take that 4 player list that was posted and probably 80-90% of those 4 player games are played sitting on the couch like the gamecube, the n64, the snes and the nes that came before it. doesnt take much advantage of wii's control scheme besides tilt funtion and MAYBE some waggle. again something that can be replaced by the press of a button.

now take the fact that again, acting like kinect doesnt exist, the whole wii scheme and motion controls were ment to make play easier by getting people OFF the couch to make play easier. less buttons, more motion. now which of those 4 player games allow 4 people to get up and have an experience that you COULDNT have on the gamecube, 64, snes or nes? Tennis and what else now? oh thats right. eveything else makes you take turns or play 2 players.
Nothing you said changes the fact that this device is limited to 2 players.

JWong said:
Like how the backup dancers in Dance Central don't matter, your family members can pretend to play even when they are not.

It's all in the mind.

In the end, isn't it all in our minds? In the opening to the 1UP Show once, the crew handed John Davison a Wiimote connected to nothing and sat him in front of a TV playing video of some racing game. Let's just say he didn't immediately realize he was being pranked.

Ignis Fatuus said:
How exactly are you deciding what is a fair comparison or not?
it's fairly obvious that after people naming Wii Sports, Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Red Steel that "not fair" = "any Wii game with 4 player support"

However seeing all the issues with Kinect i still going to buy one. I don't what the hell is compelling me to do this...........................must ...............resist.

Bluth54

Puncture said:
Wtf, I didnt know this wait. So if your using the chuck and the move there can only be two players using both? There cant be 4 people all using chuck plus the move?
You can only connect a maximum of 7 devices with Bluetooth. It's part of the Bluetooth spec.

Cipherr

WasteLand Soldier said:

How many Wii games sport 4 player games?

How many Kinect games?

End. Everything else about sitting or standing is bullshit that I dont care about, its not my problem the shit doesnt work when people are sitting on a couch, and its not my fault if it doesnt support 4 players. And if the translation of pushing a button into waggle wasnt a big deal MS and Sony wouldnt both be pushing their own motion control addons like all HELL right now, so you can save that nonsense.

Crakatak187 said:
Not much splitscreen gaming also this generation.

In a weird way this casual kick may have a chance of reviving that. It needs to make a return so badly. We got online gaming and they just abandoned it : /

expy said:
Nothing you said changes the fact that this device is limited to 2 players.

and wii only has a handful of 4 player games where everyone is up and playing at the same time anyway so big whoop to the what .5% of games that kinect cant do? and even if it could, HONESTLY how many people...not us here at GAF,but hell even if you add gaf, how many have 4 wii control set ups and play 4 player games STANDING UP? I have 2 wii controllers. How many times have i or any of you invited 2 other people over to play wi tennis? oh whats that? and thats here. you think my elder neighbor nxt door has 4 remotes or invites 2 other people to come play wii tennis? doubt it. be real.

Puncture said:
How many Wii games sport 4 player games?

How many Kinect games?

End. Everything else about sitting or standing is bullshit that I dont care about, its not my problem the shit doesnt work when people are sitting on a couch, and its not my fault if it doesnt support 4 players. And if the translation of pushing a button into waggle wasnt a big deal MS and Sony wouldnt both be pushing their own motion control addons like all HELL right now, so you can save that nonsense.

In a weird way this casual kick may have a chance of reviving that. It needs to make a return so badly. We got online gaming and they just abandoned it : /

dude thats not the point. the point is playing on the couch with a wii controller is not much different than playing with a 360 controller. kinect is just giving 360 the motion part for standing up that it didnt have.

wii

sitting? wii control
standing? full control

sitting? 360 control
standing? nothing

kinect+reg control

sitting? reg control
standing? kinect.

MS is selling something that puts it on par with wii. its really simple.

WasteLand Soldier said:

At least the Wii give you an option of having 4 players standing and having a good time.

WasteLand Soldier said:
and wii only has a handful of 4 player games where everyone is up and playing at the same time anyway so big whoop to the what .5% of games that kinect cant do? and even if it could, HONESTLY how many people...not us here at GAF,but hell even if you add gaf, how many have 4 wii control set ups and play 4 player games STANDING UP? I have 2 wii controllers. How many times have i or any of you invited 2 other people over to play wi tennis? oh whats that? and thats here. you think my elder neighbor nxt door has 4 remotes or invites 2 other people to come play wii tennis? doubt it. be real.
I would call you incoherent but you make about as much sense as Microsoft PR these days.

freddy

Banned
So 2 players only for a game like Joyride is pretty limiting. Do any of these Kinect games support online multiplayer?

WasteLand Soldier said:

hey hey come on now i actually know some............ super smash bro anybody

Beth Cyra

WasteLand Soldier said:

You know what maybe that could be easily replaced by a button, problem is Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony believe that buttons stand in the way no matter what type of game it is so yes it is a problem that you are mapping those moves to ABXY on the X360 controller instead of having it set up for 4 people with Connect.

As it stands we don't know if Waggle or tilt helped Mario Kart Wii, but you know what? It sold better then it ever has before and wether or not you, I or Gaf like to admit it maybe it is because of the tilt, and now we know that Kinect can't replicate that. So yes I would say that is a very big problem.

Ignis Fatuus said:
I would call you incoherent but you make about as much sense as Microsoft PR these days.

I tried to help him out, but now I've decided I'd rather watch him continue to melt down because he can't form a sentence to get his point across.

expy

Banned
WasteLand Soldier said:
Dude, it doesn't matter if it's standing up or sitting down,, the fact that Kinect is limited to 2 people SITTING OR STANDING, is the issue here. You want to play a motion control game with 4 players sitting down? You can't.

WasteLand Soldier said:

Just Dance? Wii Music?

Anyway, the realization that the 4 year old Wiimote is still top of the heap has made this thread worth visiting.

WasteLand Soldier said:
but 3 of those 'handful' are top selling Wii games.

apparently, several Rayman games, both Boom Blox games, Mario Strikers Charged and Madden all have 4 player simultaneous play.

Hero

Kinect is going to be dead on arrival if all these post-reveal facts keep coming out. It's like they're trying to hide the Kinect's shitty features and hope people just buy it on hype alone. I hope this bombs.

expy said:
Dude, it doesn't matter if it's standing up or sitting down,, the fact that Kinect is limited to 2 people SITTING OR STANDING, is the issue here. You want to play a motion control game with 4 players sitting down? You can't.

but the reality is some of us is still going to buy it........yes it sucks and i don't know if even most of these issues are going to be resolved but i can say for myself that imma prob still going to buy one, and the ps3 motion

Hero said:
Kinect is going to be dead on arrival if all these post-reveal facts keep coming out. It's like they're trying to hide the Kinect's shitty features and hope people just buy it on hype alone. I hope this bombs.

I honestly have trouble believing that most people will care when it comes down to it. People buy games based on CG trailers all the time. Falling for marketing fakery is nothing new.

So motion controlled Mario Kart is 4 players on the Wii, whereas motion controlled Joyriders is limited to 2. Those games seem comparable.

Top Bottom