• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox successor codename is "Ten". Expected release Holiday 2012.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Whenever it drops its not going to be a repeat of the original xbox where they killed the system off as quickly as they could. The xbox brand is a very nice moneymaker for microsoft now and they have all the reasons in the world to continue support for their cheaper, older hardware for the mass market.

venne

The Albatross said:
Oh hi, I have made this helpful graph to help show how long they can "Reasonably expect to 'milk' this generation."

http://i.imgur.com/Fmsr7.jpg[MG][/QUOTE]
Cool. The economy sucks. Will it still suck in 2012? Will it improve in 2013? I don't know and you don't either.

Yet, somehow in a shitty economy millions of people are able to drop money on lots of things. It sure isn't stopping companies from releasing new products, in fact Nintendo is rumored to release a console about the same time. Perhaps they missed your memo, someone get Reggie on the phone!

Donnie

cyberheater said:
If the current rumours and expectations for the next gen Xbox 360 and WiiU are correct. Coupled with the fact that Nintendo don't like to lose money on console sales. It's likely that the next Xbox will blow the WiiU out of the water technically and be a similar price or cheaper. That will be a huge issue for Nintendo.

What current "rumours and expectations"?

If you think Microsoft are going to bring out a console at the same time as Nintendo that blows WiiU away and is cheaper than you're going to be massively disappointed.

theBishop

Banned
2012... fuck that's too soon for me. I'm excited for new systems, but I could easily hold off until 2014. Between my PS3/360 backlog, PC, and Vita, I just don't have time for a new console in 2012.

Shtof

royalan said:
That's why you keep selling an even cheaper version of the 360/Kinect.

The first year or two of a new console's launch is about securing your core demographic anyway. MS will be going after gamers first. Heck, even Nintendo is going that route next gen.
Well, Nintendo is trying, but I don't see them succeeding at all. The 'Wii' name is too troubled in hardcore circles to make any impact. Ah, if they'd just called the new console 'Nintendo'.

Did anyone actually read the news item?

Rumor: Next Xbox will be announced at CES 2012

- Codenamed TEN, is all about Metro, embedded Silverlight and an Apple-like integration with Windows and Windows Phone
- The dashboard preview is supposedly this week (tomorrow?) and will include the Bing search integration, Live TV hooks and more

It sounds to me like someone simply mistook a Dashboard update for a new console.

[Nintex]

AtomicShroom said:

It sounds to me like someone simply mistook a Dashboard update for a new console.
Nope, listen to the podcast itself they're talking about a new console.

AtomicShroom said:

The second point looks to be a dash update. Everything else you quoted indicates a new console announcement.

mclem

venne said:
Cool. The economy sucks. Will it still suck in 2012? Will it improve in 2013? I don't know and you don't either.

Yet, somehow in a shitty economy millions of people are able to drop money on lots of things. It sure isn't stopping companies from releasing new products, in fact Nintendo is rumored to release a console about the same time. Perhaps they missed your memo, someone get Reggie on the phone!

The Wii U has an advantage in that it appears to be the case that it can be developed for without a significant markup on development costs compared to the current environment. That is not true of a hypothetical all-conquering ultra-powerful new Xbox.

As a *business move*, I do not believe a new super-powerful console in 2012 is healthy for the industry.

I would think that even if the economy was healthy, actually. People are already objecting quite a bit to the measures publishers are taking in an attempt to retain reasonable profitability. If budgets are going to increase, *where is the money coming from?*

[Nintex] said:
More like

Teaser/viral campaign starts around Xbox 10 year anniversary(VGA's? Halo Anniversary launch?).

Ballmer drops the bomb at CES 2012, new Xbox coming part of the Windows 8 integration plan - another teaser, maybe some specs or the box.

GDC 2012 - more developers announce Xbox Ten support and plans, MS might show first 'in game' footage(Halo 4?/MGS Vancouver game?/Forza World?(rebranded at that point)/Alan Wake 2?).

E3 2012 - full blow out of Xbox Ten games, console, controller, UI and more coming to Europe and the US by the end of 2012, launch window line-up includes enhanced Call of Duty, Assassins Creed III, Need for Speed etc. along with some Microsoft Studios games including Halo 4(cross platform?). (new) IP's on the way from Crytek and Epic.

TGS 2012 - Japan launch announced for spring 2013, Resident Evil 6(Xbox Ten = lead platform) among the titles prepped for launch window.

February 2012 - Xbox 360 Star Wars Kinect Bundle(+ post holiday pricedrop?)
March/April 2012 - Kinect Nat Geo TV / Sesame Street TV
June 2012 - Unannounced Big Park/Rare Kinect title
August 2012 - Ryse
September/November 2012 - Halo 4(360/Ten) + Xbox Ten launch
December 2012 - Fable: the Journey(360/if not cancelled lol)

Very good point that I hadn't seen mentioned. November 15th will be the 10th anniversary of when Xbox was released. Maybe we start seeing/hearing something next week?

open_mouth_ said:
so, yeah, basically what I said ;)

I think we can safely assume Loop and Ten are different projects by now.

McHuj said:
I've been thinking some more about this rumor and the CES 2012 announcement to me doesn't make much sense (yes, I know the original xbox was announced at CES), unless it's a new hardware revision.

AppleTV-like to me implies that it's focused on content delivery so here's a theory there will be a new hardware revision with a 32nm die shrink, 8GB of internal flash (hard drive slot still), no optical drive, 1 USB port, HDMI only.

With the shrink and no optical drive, power dissipation could drop by 50% or so allowing for a much smaller form factor.

For this to work, MS would have to deliver all of it games digitally, but that's not in the realm of impossibility.

So now you have a sub $200 (maybe even 150) AppleTV/Roku competitor, but instead of just Angry Birds, you can play all your Xbox games on it.

I think this description fits Loop more than Ten.

DieH@rd said:
Why dont console makers just design motherboard with one/two ram expansion slots [non user replaceable], and move all those 256MB ram chips away from the motherboard? Mobo design will instantly became much more manageable, and hopefully CPU cooling system can encompass this new heat source.

I'm not quite envisioning how you are describing that, but just the thought of an expansion slot sounds like a possible bottleneck to me.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Zeal said:
So ready for this generation to be over. All the hardware is on life support at this point.

Uncharted 3 looks amazing. I think if the 360 was pumping out stuff like that, it would easily buy a couple of years.

venne said:

The economy is one of the main reasons why this videogame console generation will be one of the longest or the longest. Over the last four years, most people aren't willing to shed $600 on a new console. In 2012, 2013? Maybe. Hopefully. But expecting consumers to spend $500 or $600 four years after the release of the X-Box 360... in 2009... during the bottom of the recession? Yeah, not likely.

And the example of Nintendo proves my point, a lot of the momentum behind the Wii is from its aggressive price point and that it didn't require sinking a major load of money into something like an expensive new HDTV as well. If Nintendo were to release a new console today, I'd doubt it would be $600.

Dreaver

H_Prestige said:
What do you guys even mean by windows 8 integration? I don't see the big deal, the phrase just sounds cool on paper, like XBL on windows phone 7 (that feature isn't killing iOS and android, hardly anyone gives a shit). Nobody is going to use their gaming system as a computer, and MS sure as hell isn't going to design it for such use in the first place.
I'd think about things like:
- Chat (Skype?) between Xbox and devices that support Skype (iOS, Android, Windows etc.)
- See / chat / send messages cross-platform (which is already possible via xbox.com, but it could be intergraded into Windows 8).
- Intergraded streaming between Windows 8 Deskop and Xbox Loop.
- Using your Windows Phone as remote.

Those are the kinds of things I am thnking about.

1-D_FTW

[Nintex] said:
Nope, listen to the podcast itself they're talking about a new console.

Well, it is Leo Laporte. And while Leo's a lovable guy, he's pretty clueless about a lot. Butchering of info is the norm.

Shtof

The Albatross said:
The economy is one of the main reasons why this videogame console generation will be one of the longest or the longest. Over the last four years, most people aren't willing to shed $600 on a new console. In 2012, 2013? Maybe. Hopefully. But expecting consumers to spend $500 or $600 four years after the release of the X-Box 360... in 2009... during the bottom of the recession? Yeah, not likely.

And the example of Nintendo proves my point, a lot of the momentum behind the Wii is from its aggressive price point and that it didn't require sinking a major load of money into something like an expensive new HDTV as well. If Nintendo were to release a new console today, I'd doubt it would be $600.
I don't really think anyone will put out a $599 console next gen. Won't sell.

royalan

The economy is one of the main reasons why this videogame console generation will be the longest. Over the last four years, most people aren't willing to shed $600 on a new console. In 2012, 2013? Maybe. Hopefully.

You're crazy if you think MS or Sony are going to pull another $600 console, 2012 or otherwise.

Shtof

Dreaver said:
I'd think about things like:
- Chat (Skype?) between Xbox and devices that support Skype (iOS, Android, Windows etc.)
- See / chat / send messages cross-platform (which is already possible via xbox.com, but it could be intergraded into Windows 8).
- Intergraded streaming between Windows 8 Deskop and Xbox Loop.
- Using your Windows Phone as remote.

Those are the kinds of things I am thnking about.
But what's the point? Everyone already has smartphones/tablets/laptops/netbooks for this.

royalan said:
You're crazy if you think MS or Sony are going to pull another $600 console, 2012 or otherwise.

I don't know that people aren't expecting that. Judging by people's expectations of the power of Sony and MS' new consoles there are to be orders of magnitude greater than Wii U or what the PC is doing right now (There was a thread here with people scoffing at next gen being what Battlefield 3 is doing at max settings on PC). Of those, only the most idiotic are expecting that super box to be 300 dollars.

I've also seen posts with people expecting the next-gen to be like Samaritan video at minimum. Expectations are all over the place.

WrikaWrek said:
Uncharted 3 looks amazing. I think if the 360 was pumping out stuff like that, it would easily buy a couple of years.

Good-looking linear games that are outclassed by massive open-ended games like BF3 on PC that look jaw-dropingly stunning in 64 player servers with tons of shit going on?

...we need a new gen ASAP. 2013 is my bet.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
venne said:
Microsoft doesn't care whether someone buys a 360 or whatever else as long as it gets people investing in the Xbox walled garden. The new system is aimed at the performance crowd, the old to the mass market. In a couple years you drop the new system to mass market status and release a new performance model. People maintain all their digital purchased and get chained to the ecosystem. Rinse, repeat.

Not to sound like a marketing douche, but in order to launch a new platform you need to offer *new* experiences *only possible with that platform* or you run the risk of your opposition getting ahead of you.

People have mocked WiiU, but the way Nintendo is going about things seems much more likely to succeed to me than a 1080p 60fps version of a 360.

You need to get people talking, its especially important for MS as outside the English speaking world they have struggled to make much headway and they need to improve their performance in those territories.

More of the same will not cut it.

WrikaWrek said:

Uncharted 3 was the first time I felt like the PS3 is starting to show its age. No fault of the game, really. It's put together so well, but I'm really getting sick of aliasing in this generation's consoles. It's time for beefier hardware that can output those kind of visuals without sacrificing resolution, anti-aliasing, and framerate.

I know it's going to be a big step above and my expectations will be shattered, but if PS4 games looked like Uncharted 3 at 1080p, 60fps and some good AA, I'd be completely satisfied.

[Nintex]

Clear said:
Not to sound like a marketing douche, but in order to launch a new platform you need to offer *new* experiences *only possible with that platform* or you run the risk of your opposition getting ahead of you.

People have mocked WiiU, but the way Nintendo is going about things seems much more likely to succeed to me than a 1080p 60fps version of a 360.

You need to get people talking, its especially important for MS as outside the English speaking world they have struggled to make much headway and they need to improve their performance in those territories.

More of the same will not cut it.
Windows 8 integration.

[Nintex] said:
Windows 8 integration.

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
If MS managed to launch Windows 8, WP8 and the next Xbox next fall I'd take back every bad thing I've ever said about Ballmer.

By the way, this is actually the second week that Thurrott has mentioned that "Ten" is the codename. Last week he mentioned it briefly but wanted to do dig around for more info it seemed. He also is dismissive of the MS Nerd leak.

royalan

I don't know that people aren't expecting that. Judging by people's expectations of the power of Sony and MS' new consoles there are to be orders of magnitude greater than Wii U or what the PC is doing right now (There was a thread here with people scoffing at next gen being what Battlefield 3 is doing at max settings on PC). Of those, only the most idiotic are expecting that super box to be 300 dollars.

I've also seen posts with people expecting the next-gen to be like Samaritan video at minimum. Expectations are all over the place.

I think the reality will be somewhere in the middle. I agree what was being said earlier in this thread: MS and Sony are going to pick a price they feel is competitive ($350 - $450) and try to smartly cram as much into a console as they can while fitting that price.

I don't think either are going for everything-but-the-kitchen-sink boxes again next gen. It was near unanimously agreed that cost of entry into this gen was way too high - especially in Sony's case.

[Nintex]

royalan said:
I think the reality will be somewhere in the middle. I agree what was being said earlier in this thread: MS and Sony are going to pick a price they feel is competitive ($350 - $450) and try to smartly cram as much into a console as they can while fitting that price.

I don't think either are going for everything-but-the-kitchen-sink boxes again next gen. It was near unanimously agreed that cost of entry into this gen was way too high - especially in Sony's case.
Also if you look at the reasons for the expensive consoles like Blu-Ray.. well those aren't 'huge' costs anymore.

royalan said:

I really feel that we're getting to the point of diminishing returns - Namely, it's going to get massively expensive to increase the fidelity of the graphics even a little bit. We're seeing this already with the heat and power requirements of the latest graphics cards.

I agree with you in that expectation that MS and Sony will try to cram as much as possible into a feasible price, though that restriction alone; a sensible market price, will automatically dictate the power of the console. Sony and MS surely aren't going to kill themselves trying to create graphics monsters like last gen. Ten and PS4 will be marketing driven, not engineering driven.

Also, I think more should be made of the "Apple like" comment - namely, Apple's platforms aren't known for being computing behemoths, but instead simplify and streamline processes.

Grampasso

Shtof said:
I don't see why Sony and MS would be afraid of Nintendo getting a headstart. After all, Wii U hype is non-existant and Nintendo messed up the naming again, just like with 3DS, confusing customers. I really don't understand why Nintendo just won't call it Wii 2 to clearly indicate that it's a Wii sequel. Also, unlike Wii, Wii U actually does nothing new technology wise.
IMHO they should, especially because they saw the 3DS after 2 months and the 3DS now. Look at how the situation has changed in a few months.
That's the most impressive and quick turning tide they could accomplish, so yes, Sony and MS should at least keep an eye on what Nintendo does and not let them sail their way like they let the Wii, risking the shipwreck themselves.
Yes, I'm really proud of my semantic! :O

Grampasso said:
IMHO they should, especially because they saw the 3DS after 2 months and the 3DS now. Look at how the situation has changed in a few months.
That's the most impressive and quick turning tide they could accomplish, so yes, Sony and MS should at least keep an eye on what Nintendo does and not let them sail their way like they let the Wii, risking the shipwreck themselves.
Yes, I'm really proud of my semantic! :O
The home console market is a completely different beast. Entirely different circumstances. Nintendo doesn't have anything close to an iron grip in this market, especially not in the last 1-2 years.

And what exactly is the 3DS doing outside of Japan?

Big One

Banned
Are people really expecting the leap of tech on this thing to exceed considerably above 360? I think it's going to be a casual machine with similar specs to Wii U.

Who knows wtf Sony will do, I think they'll lean towards more power but also big prices (as usual)

Xun

Too early for me honestly.

Both the 360 and the PS3 have much to give, and I don't think moving to a new generation is worth it at the moment.

Graphically we have yet to reach that far beyond the current generation in my honest opinion.

Mrbob

Why wouldn't MS follow the same formula that worked with 360?

Start out with a $399 hardcore system. Let this ecosystem develop, and mid cycle bring out Kinect 2.0 and resposition it as a more casual device?

If Sony is a year or more away, this would work. There have been rumors of a 2012 PS4 launch, but I doubt those are substantial. Crazy though if all three systems launched next fall. I'd be all for it.

Xun said:
Too early for me honestly.

Both the 360 and the PS3 have much to give, and I don't think moving to a new generation is worth it at the moment.

Graphically we have yet to reach that far beyond the current generation in my honest opinion.

The PS3 and 360 can only do so much. They can't go any further.

Curufinwe

Big One said:
Are people really expecting the leap of tech on this thing to exceed considerably above 360? I think it's going to be a casual machine with similar specs to Wii U.

What is that belief based on?

Top Bottom