• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Policenauts English Patch finally releasing TODAY!

Today I bought the PSN version (yes, I'm aware I have to use... something else for the english patch, but the disc version would have been more expensive and nothing of that money goes to Konami anyway/letting them know there's interest in the game).

At the moment I kinda play on PC and PS3 simultaneously because it would be nice to have a savegame for the original.

AFAIK, there's no way to copy emulator savegames to the PS3, right? (maybe with a CFW PSP but mine is original 6.00 :lol ).
I would have used that to copy the save games to the PSN version later instead of playing both at the same time (I use the English one on PC more as a kind of subtitles on another monitor), though my emulator settings are not perfect anyway.
Well, if the savegames of the modified version are compatible to the original game in the first place of course.

Played the game for nearly 2 hours, good stuff.
I just think it will take me quite some time to finish it, I have this urge to click on everything and continue to do so until no new text appears :lol (x2 für the PSN version)

SolidusDave said:
At the moment I kinda play on PC and PS3 simultaneously because it would be nice to have a savegame for the original.

AFAIK, there's no way to copy emulator savegames to the PS3, right? (maybe with a CFW PSP but mine is original 6.00 :lol ).
I would have used that to copy the save games to the PSN version later instead of playing both at the same time (I use the English one on PC more as a kind of subtitles on another monitor), though my emulator settings are not perfect anyway.
Well, if the savegames of the modified version are compatible to the original game in the first place of course.
I think there is a way, actually. I know there's an app that can convert PSone-on-PS3 saves into formats, including ones that are emulator friendly. I used it a few years ago when converting my PSX games to PSP eboots. I just can't remember the name. But if you google a bit I'm sure you'll find it.

Edit: Here's something. http://togami.com/~warren/guides/ps3-psone-saved-game-to-pc-howto/

Rummy Bunnz said:
I think there is a way, actually. I know there's an app that can convert PSone-on-PS3 saves into formats, including ones that are emulator friendly. I used it a few years ago when converting my PSX games to PSP eboots. I just can't remember the name. But if you google a bit I'm sure you'll find it.

Edit: Here's something. http://togami.com/~warren/guides/ps3-psone-saved-game-to-pc-howto/

Yeah, but I want the opposite: emulator savegames to PS3. I've read it's not possible, but I'm not quite sure why (if it's the encryption, why are we able to extract the files to use in an emulator?).

Hey GAF, I've been playing this game on my PSP for over a week now and I've been stuck in ACT 2 for a couple of days.

I just got into the Astronaut Memorial Museum and I'm pretty sure I've checked everything and talked to anyone but the informant who calls himself "Nine Stars" still isn't showing up. Any help? I don't know what I'm missing here. Thanks

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hydrogen Bluebird said:
I just got into the Astronaut Memorial Museum and I'm pretty sure I've checked everything and talked to anyone but the informant who calls himself "Nine Stars" still isn't showing up. Any help? I don't know what I'm missing here. Thanks

That bit SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME at 2AM.

"He isn't here... he isn't here... goddamn it, where the fuck is--OH HOLY SHIT!"

I just finished the first disc and then I saved the game when I was asked. However, I can't seem to load my saved game when I start the 2nd disc. I don't know what the problem is. I'm playing this on my PSP BTW.

EXGN

Just beat this, it was an amazing game. I had the same gripes as everyone else - having to seach every minute object got old quick, but that's it.

The world is so wonderfully fleshed out, the characters are endearing and charming - though I do get kinda sick of the usual Kojima everyone's-related-to-everyone schtick. The dialogue and banter between Ed and Jon is hilarious, really hits that same note the Lethal Weapon movies do.

The story and writing are amazing, a bit heavy handed towards the end, but anyone doubting Kojima's prowess just needs to play this game. It really cements Kojima as a creative genius in my mind. People say Uncharted 2 was a page turner? I did Act 2 at like 11PM last night and played through the rest of the game straight, think I finished at close to 5-6 AM :lol

I also find the game interesting because it's such great example to how much video games have matured in regards to their 'PC'ness. I'm not even talking about fondling, but just little things that Jonathan says - "I look like a fag" or that quip about transexuals in the beginning.

I would love to see Kojima come back to the franchise eventually, screw Zone of the Enders and MGS.

ArjanN

EXGN said:
I also find the game interesting because it's such great example to how much video games have matured in regards to their 'PC'ness. I'm not even talking about fondling, but just little things that Jonathan says - "I look like a fag" or that quip about transexuals in the beginning.

I don't really think games have become all that more 'PC'. Especially Japanese games.

KTallguy

Banned
Just finished it finally. Great game.

As I was approaching the ending the story really got moving and there was very little down time. Just one awesome thing after another. Great stuff.

Does this game only have one ending?

Edit: I would love a text dump of the game, if it exists... both EN and JP

pje122

Those two videos were awesome, thank you for posting this. I hope someone will bump this thread again once part three becomes available.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Does this video contain spoilers? I haven't yet played (waiting to mod my PS2 so that I can play it on actual hardware)

pje122

BocoDragon said:
Does this video contain spoilers? I haven't yet played (waiting to mod my PS2 so that I can play it on actual hardware)
Yes, it really really does. This is one game you do not want spoiled, so just bookmark it or something and watch it after you're finished.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
BocoDragon said:

While it doesn't make direct references, there's a lot of visual references for key (and spoilerish) parts, so yeah, bookmark it and watch them later.

Great start, but ends up with really boring plot twists.
The combat music makes up for it though.

Snatcher suffered the same problem.
Nice detective game at first, then turns into something stupid in the last Act.

They're still both fantastic games though.

EXGN

ArjanN said:
I don't really think games have become all that more 'PC'. Especially Japanese games.

In some ways you're right. Kojima still has a lot of pervy things in his games(checking out girls, shaking sixaxis to make boobs jiggle), but he's also created some pretty bad ass homosexual/bisexual characters since then, including both Vamp Colonel Volgin.

I don't think games that are as blatantly homophobic as Policenauts would get published nowadays, but games in general still have a certain degree of testosterone laden machoistic undertones. For example, I thought Mass Effect's Asari love scene was really 1 step forward and 2 steps back in a lot of ways - sure, it has 2 humanoid females making love, but it was also a real super "Rah, rah, girls kissing!" heterosexual moment. The fact that they made the Asari so feminine in the first place undermined any statement they were trying to make, IMO.

ArjanN

EXGN said:
In some ways you're right. Kojima still has a lot of pervy things in his games(checking out girls, shaking sixaxis to make boobs jiggle), but he's also created some pretty bad ass homosexual/bisexual characters since then, including both Vamp Colonel Volgin.

I don't think games that are as blatantly homophobic as Policenauts would get published nowadays, but games in general still have a certain degree of testosterone laden machoistic undertones. For example, I thought Mass Effect's Asari love scene was really 1 step forward and 2 steps back in a lot of ways - sure, it has 2 humanoid females making love, but it was also a real super "Rah, rah, girls kissing!" heterosexual moment. The fact that they made the Asari so feminine in the first place undermined any statement they were trying to make, IMO.

I don't really think Policenauts is homophobic, it's just because the main characters are macho 80s-movie cops.

And Mass Effect wasn't trying to make a statement at all, that was just fanservice, sexy blue/green ladies for the Captain to screw is just a typical pulp sci-fi thing.

EXGN

ArjanN said:
I don't really think Policenauts is homophobic, it's just because the main characters are macho 80s-movie cops.

And Mass Effect wasn't trying to make a statement at all, that was just fanservice, sexy blue/green ladies for the Captain to screw is just a typical pulp sci-fi thing.

Just the fact that they have a 'hero' character that's got such an aversion to people of the GLBT persuasion seems tasteless and pointless. And I mean, it's not just that one line. I know in the prologue, there's like a GLBT strip club and he goes into describing new age transvestites, and Jonathan says something along the lines of 'It's unfortunate they exist', and they he would never visit one.

Nowadays, a game with an upstanding white protagonist that said "I look like a n-word" or saying that establishments with predominantly black attendees are scummy places to go just would not fly. I mean, I get that it's his personality and that he's playing into an archetype, but it just seems so pointless in the grand scheme of things. There's literally no reason for that sentiment, it doesn't 'add' character' to him at all.

I mean, I loved Policenauts, thought it was a great game, but it's definitely a relic of a time long gone.

MechaX

Pretty much blasted through the game in two days after a long hiatus. Personally, I think Kojima should do more adventure games and take a break from endlessly screwing the undead pooch that is the Metal Gear Solid mythos.

Although, like Snatcher (and I think another person in the topic touched upon this), there were some sections where you pretty much had to resort to trial-and-error by clicking on every random object or exhausting each dialogue option up to three times. This was especially a problem in Act 2 and some of Act 3. Although, Act 2 was definitely the highlight of the game regardless.

Storywise, the game might not have been too original, but it was definitely a blast to go through and was addicting (in Snatcher's case, despite it being a huge Blade Runner ripoff, was still fun to unravel from start to finish). Johnathan and Ed are definitely the duo of the millennium even if they are also some of the worst cops I have ever seen. Their dialogue was expertly handled and many hats off to the translation team for retaining the charm of their bantering. I even started to feel for the minor characters like Dave and Meryl.
I was actually moved when Dave died, despite how I had only known him for 4 hours at that point
. The story definitely had some good twists, but just like any Kojima game, it goes off the deep end into batshit stupidity towards the end.
For instance, I bought absolutely NONE of Gates verbal spiel on space and evolution and Redwood was just a missed opportunity.

The shooting sections were definitely easier to manage in this game than in Snatcher, which might be due to the cursor system as opposed to the grid system. However, some of the sections did get a little ridiculous (Tokugawa building battle made me go "WTF" at that part. You know what one I'm talking about). Moreover, the game started to involve more shooting and less investigating as the game went on.

Still, I had fun from start to finish. When Kojima is on his leash, I do have a blast with his games (Snatcher, MGS1, MGS3, Policenauts). Or perhaps it is more of an appreciation for Pre-MGS2 Kojima than anything else. I dunno.

Also,
Johnathan being able to grab the breasts of his love-interest/daughter was really... creepy in hindsight.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
MechaX said:
Also,
Johnathan being able to grab the breasts of his love-interest/daughter was really... creepy in hindsight.

He doesn't know she's his daughter until after he has the Bone Marrow of his tested IIRC?

Caj814

TheSeks said:
He doesn't know she's his daughter until after he has the Bone Marrow of his tested IIRC?

Even then
That is TOTALLY up to the player!I had my suspicions that she was his daughter after the surgery and donor questions kept popping up.:lol

I just finished it myself after putting it off for awhile due to school and other games.Even though there are loads of references from other movies
Lethal Weapon being one of the biggest ones along with the story being very predictable
I still enjoyed it from beginning to end.Especially the way the dialogue was translated.The shooting parts weren't too bad except for the WTF
area where you kill 30-50 freaken soldiers without ANY cover near the end.Now I know where Kojima got the idea for the endless amount of Tengus near the end of MGS2 :lol

Also
Did anyone else think that Meryl shouting over the radio, "Jonathan are you there?!Jonathan?!Jonathan!!!!!!!!! was the precursor to the MGS death codecs?
:lol

Dascu

On the shooting section in the Tokugawa building:
You know you can just lock on to targets with L1 and R1, right? Just move your cursor to the side (say, to the left edge of the screen) between sections and then just tap R1 and O to shoot on and off. You basically can't get through certain sections without being shot though, and that's kind of cruel.

Also, about the story:
Redwood being the son of the hospital lady (forgot her name) was such bullshit and a typical, meaningless Kojima-twist. :lol

I started to play through this game but my hard drive (which had my save game file) crashed. That was just before the fall rush of games started. I want to get back to this soon but I still have a few loose ends to tie from 2009 and Mass Effect 2 is around the corner!

I'm also considering picking up a PSP to play this because I couldn't get the mouse/keyboard to work on epsxe in windows 7, so it was pretty awkward to play it with a controller. Figure if I at least had the convenience of playing it in bed or on the couch then I wouldn't mind the lack of mouse support. I need to get a PSP anyway because Kojima has me by the balls and I HAVE to play Peace Walker since its the sequel to my favourite game of the last decade.

Vamphuntr

Finally got my copy today. Bought it from ebay for very cheap. 17$ bucks and it's complete w/ spine card, registration and the memory card stickers. I'm preparing to play it right now. Can't wait :D . Hope the fan translation is awesome.

Policenauts_vamphuntr.jpg

Hmm... Just finished this. I enjoyed it but it wasn't worth the 10+ years of wait and hype. I enjoyed Snatcher more - it has a better story and I feel the sense of danger with Snatcher made it into a better game.

Booby mechanics are fun!

I touched my daughter's boobies. :D

Vamphuntr

So I finally beat it today. To be honest I'm quite disappointed. It seems Hideo Kojima was also terrible at story telling 13 years ago.

Since it's an interactive novel (or cinema), the story is an important part of the experience. The plot doesn't pick up steam until the second disk. It does become more interesting after but I didn't like the pacing at all. Everytime something exciting happen, the pacing is broken by useless chatters.

For example, one point in the game you have to defuse a bomb. The game clearly states that there is almost no time left to escape or prepare an evacuation of the area. At that point the 2 main characters have a long chat about friendship and trusting each others for several minutes WHILE A BOMB IS ACTIVE. It's like in MGS when you want to take part in the action but you receive long codec calls. Even before actually working on defusing it you have to play the ''compare two pictures and find the differences'' 20 times in a row. The pacing is really off in some parts.

There are some really dumb scenes in the game too. When
Dave gets shots, his dying words are : Hamburgers are not really the things I like the most, it's you Meryl that I love the most
. Another one is when you confront the main villains in the game they all have an epic long speech about
how space exploration is flawed, humans are not meant to be in space. Was the philosophic point of view on space exploration really required ?

The main story is not bad. I won't discuss it since it's the core of the game but it's the classic one guy againts a big bad corporation plot. You will probably guess some of the plot twist way in advance though. The main twist is extremly farfetched and reminded me a bit of Phoenix Wright case 1-5.

The way talking/exploring is done is really annoying. When you talk with someone you have a list of topic you can choose from. Using these topics will unlock more topics and the conversation will progress until you can move one. The main problem I had is that sometimes you have to use the same topic multiple times in order for other options to appear. Otherwise you will get stuck. Controlling the pointer with the playstation mouse is recommended since it's way better and quicker than using the d-pad. For shooting sequence though I had to use the controller because fast clicking was not enough to shoot ennemies VS a good ol' button mashing.

The anime cutscenes are reallly nice and reminds me of the 80's anime. The game has quite a few of them too. A lot of the dialogue is voiced and not only important story sequence. Sometime when you examine items or talk with people you will also get voice acting which is extremly nice for a psx game. I liked the voice acting for Jonathan and Ed a lot.

Fan translation is great. I found maybe two weird sentence in the whole game. It's a very good localization.

It took me about 9-10 to finish it and I kinda regret that I bought it and invested time in it :(. Overall I think it's a bad game, it would have made a good anime movie/serie though.

Has anyone else had any trouble getting the patched version to run on their PS2?

I'm trying to get this to run on my modified Australian PS2 with little success. The Sony Computer Entertainment America screen comes up after which the screen goes black and my PS2 starts making funny noises. I know that my PS2 isn't broken because my imported copy of Dragon warrior VII runs just fine.

I'm also pretty sure that I burned it to CD correctly because when I tested it on a PS emulator on my PC and the intro movie loaded fine.

What could be the problem?

bernardobri

lucablight said:
Has anyone else had any trouble getting the patched version to run on their PS2?

I'm trying to get this to run on my modified Australian PS2 with little success. The Sony Computer Entertainment America screen comes up after which the screen goes black and my PS2 starts making funny noises. I know that my PS2 isn't broken because my imported copy of Dragon warrior VII runs just fine.

I'm also pretty sure that I burned it to CD correctly because when I tested it on a PS emulator on my PC and the intro movie loaded fine.

What could be the problem?

Have you tried CDs from other manufacturers?

bernardobri said:
Have you tried CDs from other manufacturers?

Yes I have tried both Sony and TDK. Also I'm pretty sure the image burned correctly as it works on my PC and I followed the instructions in the readme file.

How convenient this thread is, I just started it on PSP too. I am already really enjoying it - I don't know how much of it is down to the excellent translation, but I think this is the game that really shows off Kojima's talent as a writer. It was the same with the Mother 3 translation, a Japanese script faithfully converted to the English language. The JunkerHQ guys, and a lot of other dedicated translation teams, have my utmost respect for doing what publishers simply won't.

Anyway, I am hooked so far. I just started Act 1, arrived on Beyond and am meeting with Ed at the police station atm. I tell you, it's downright criminal that it didn't get here sooner. Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk are two series I really enjoyed on the DS, and this is very similar so far from a gameplay perspective. I suppose I would now call myself a 'fan' of these point-and-click conversational adventures (in fact, I would be overjoyed if a DS port was announced). You get some really immersive storytelling with this genre, and the fact that it does it all through text further emphasises the skill Kojima once wielded.

Sigh... I hope that Metal Gear Solid finishes after Rising, so that we can finally get some other games like Policenauts. I want Kojima to be a crusty old dog who winds down and starts experimenting again, maybe on handhelds or the Wii or something.

DigitalDevil said:
I'm confused... how are you guys buying import PS1 copies of this and applying a patch to it so the translation takes effect?

Probably buying it to legally own a copy and then using another method to actually play it. Or I think a modded Playstation can do it but I'm not sure.

DigitalDevil said:
I'm confused... how are you guys buying import PS1 copies of this and applying a patch to it so the translation takes effect?
Buy import copy -> rip ISO -> apply patch -> play on emulator eg. on ePSXe or on PSP. I suppose you could play it on native PS1 hardware but your console would have to be modded, as you would need to burn the patched ISO onto a new CD-R.

I finally started playing it (was having stuttering issues on my old PC when this game was first released). One-handed controls = lie on bed and play the game controls :D.

I can already see why they never wanted to bring this game to North America. Theres way too much perversion. That being said I think if they went the Yakuza route and just disabled the perverted parts, they would be able to bring it over without too much sacrificed.

I'm on Act 2 right now. Its an interesting story thus far.

CO_Andy

Anybody else had the itch to watch Lethal Weapon after finishing the game?

Its interesting to see how much was inspired from the Gibson movies.

Finished it

The Gates death sequence was ridiculous :lol .

By the way, the mouse controls are absolutely horrid in this game. Theres not enough precision due to the low resolution the game natively runs in. And right-mouse button really should have been Reload.
The Bike Chase scene was nearly impossible without using auto-aim/auto-reload with a controller. And taking the magnet out of the bomb was also pretty hard using the mouse. I got it on my first try but then continued to fail many times until it was an easy maze. Also, the last sequence with the bomb was ridiculous because the timer counts down faster than you can read what Ed is saying. First time everything blew up while I was quickly skimming through what Ed was saying. Second time around I madly clicked as soon as that sequence started and it still took me like 10 seconds to go through all that Dialog!

FortNinety said:
First off, I should admit that I've barely scratched the surface with the game, but a friend of mine is playing it, I have to wonder if he's even playing the same thing, or if you guys are, cuz apparently there's a point in the game here someone goes...

quoted for truth

and

and God said 'let there be win.'

Seriously? What is this nonsense? It's like Working Designs all over again. Is there an Obama joke anywhere? I'm also shocked that no one else has made mention of it.

I agree, those translations were brutal. Also seemed like they added swearing at times for no reason. Theres one part where someone yells someone else's name and it's translated as "fucking bastard!" which makes no sense.

I would love to see Kojima come back to the franchise eventually, screw Zone of the Enders and MGS.
I'd love to see Kojima do another Snatcher/Policenauts but make it a 3rd-person game so you actually walk around yourself both during investigations and action elements. It'd be interesting because these games have action, but I wouldn't consider them to be action heavy either. I can't think of many 3rd person games which would be like it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm looking on Ebay at copies of Policenauts and was wondering what the differences between the different versions are. I'm seeing a normal looking one with "Interative Cinema" at the bottom, another is called "Private Collection", and the last one I see is "Playstation Best". Will the translation patch work on any of these?

randomwab

Big Papa Husker said:
I'm looking on Ebay at copies of Policenauts and was wondering what the differences between the different versions are. I'm seeing a normal looking one with "Interative Cinema" at the bottom, another is called "Private Collection", and the last one I see is "Playstation Best". Will the translation patch work on any of these?

Interactive Cinema is the first release. Private Collection is an enhanced disc, think Document of MGS2. Playstation Best is like the Greatest Hits/Platinum version. Both the Interactive Cinema and Playstation Best versions should work with the patch.

Big Papa Husker said:
Interactive Cinema is the original release and Plastation Best is the "Greatest Hits/Platinum" version of the game... Private Collection features some bonus stuff that 3DO "Pilot Disc" had but doesn't contain the actually game (I could be wrong about this, I have never seen it). The patch sould work with the Interactive Cinema-one and I'd think with PB too

bernardobri

randomwab said:
Interactive Cinema is the first release. Private Collection is an enhanced disc, think Document of MGS2. Playstation Best is like the Greatest Hits/Platinum version. Both the Interactive Cinema and Playstation Best versions should work with the patch.

Yeah, Private Collection is more of a "behind the scenes" disc rather than an updated version of the game. You should go for the Interactive Cinema / Playstation Best versions.

Top Bottom