• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Gila

I have magazines in pdf format, whats the best viewing app to read them on a tablet?

If possible, any app that supports both .cbr and .pdf? If not, what's the best .cbr reading app nowadays too

If you have your comics on drive use comic cat. Perfect viewer is a great free version with Comic Rack behind it.
I know you asked for magazines, but I feel like it would be good for both either way?

I'm a big fan of Twidere, though I've never heard of the other two posted.

Edit: I bought Fenix for a test and man its slick. Bit expensive though, so I got a refund and I'm gonna stick with Twidere for now. Maybe I'll check out the other one too

reKon

Banned
I still use Falcon Widget (not even the app, just the widget). I set it to either transparent/translucent depending on my wallpaper and it's still works flawlessly me for me / it looks great.

I never miss anything on slickdeals, haha

vdlow

I'm using Tweetings here. I would rather use Fenix or Talon but they don't have push notifications for real time updates, which kills the battery on Lollipop.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I have a Moto Droid Turbo on 5.1. I was excited about the whole "trusted places" feature of lollipop because it's annoying to have to put in my password for every little thing while in my apartment. Then I find that it doesn't have a wifi mode that trusts selected wifi networks. Why in the hell was that left out? Seems my only option is going by location and I don't want my phone unsecured if I leave it in the laundry room or it falls out of my pocket outside my apartment building.

Is there an app that would let me do this, use my home wifi as a "trusted" place? I found one or two that supposedly do that but the app page on Google Play says it's not compatible with my version. And what gives on that?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have a Moto Droid Turbo on 5.1. I was excited about the whole "trusted places" feature of lollipop because it's annoying to have to put in my password for every little thing while in my apartment. Then I find that it doesn't have a wifi mode that trusts selected wifi networks. Why in the hell was that left out? Seems my only option is going by location and I don't want my phone unsecured if I leave it in the laundry room or it falls out of my pocket outside my apartment building.

Is there an app that would let me do this, use my home wifi as a "trusted" place? I found one or two that supposedly do that but the app page on Google Play says it's not compatible with my version. And what gives on that?
Because Google wants you to keep location services on so they can track you better.

I've spent some time over the past few days looking for an app to help me keep track of my crap... mainly Games and movies. Pickin's are slim, and the few that I found didn't really fit the bill for me. I don't want anything fancy, but I do have a few requirements:

• barcode scanning - This is a must with a huge collection of crud
  • manual input/editing - for when I scan some UK stuff, but only US versions show up, or simply for incorrect/incomplete/non existent info
  • Separate lists and tags - for filtering and sorting
  • Simple browsing - self explanatory
  • web interface - so I can make adjustments using a proper screen, keyboard and mouse in my spare time
  • One app to rule them all - I don't want to have to go between different apps just because I want to browse my games, books or CD's instead of/as well as movies

The only thing I found that comes close to these simple requirements is "Libib". It does almost everything I need. Simple interface, barcode scanning that works (well, from my phone. My tablet has never liked barcode scanning!), web interface, separate libraries for everything, manual input and editing... pretty much everything. My only real beef with it is that when I use it on my phone or tablet it only shows me lists of my stuff. Case/poster art is only shown when I select an entry and artwork is only a tiny little thumbnail (like, "not even worth being there" tiny).

I'd like to be able to be sitting in front of the TV with the missus, decide we're in the mood for a Sci-Fi film, and browse through my list by artwork. Like you do with Netflix, or maybe a carousel like I get when I'm flicking through my music tracks. the only way to browse through my entries anywhere near to how I want to is by using the web page.

For a free app, it hits so many of the right notes. It's simple, clean, not bogged down by tons of info I frankly don't care about, lets me add my own tags, group items together, set a completion status if I so feel inclined. Jolly good stuff.

Can anyone recommend anything similar? I don't mind shelling out some pennies if it's worth it and does what I want. If not, I'll stick with the almost perfect Libib for now.

Links, in case anyone's interested
https://www.libib.com/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.libib.app&hl=en

Darkwater

I just started using OGYouTube, a custom YouTube app that lets you play videos while the screen is off. Very nice. Looks essentialy the same as the original YouTube app. Can download videos too. Recommended.

Donos

searching a rather simple app on Android. Just an app with like 9 buttons on the whole screen which can be programmed to play a sound/soundfile from the sd card/internal.

I want that for the tablet and smartphone so that i can play with my daughter. she loves devices which make different sounds. She has a mini piano which she loves.

Also when playing poker with friends, having the possibility to play certain sounds/songs in situations would be hilarious.

Thought this would be a no brainer as app since these controllers with the white programable buttons are rather popular with producers and some dj's but i haven't found it yet. Maybe searched for wrong name?

edit: and instantly found one, smh... "drum pads 24"..
edit2:well seems like it's not possible to use own files...

mantidor

Why is this thread dead? D:

Widget locker died on me, as well as taskarou, which was actually removed from the play store, are there any replacement for these? It's basically the possibility to put widgets in your lock screen and a quick shortcut menu that can be accessed by a simple swipe.

I feel this is all the fault of marshmallow, I hope Nugat is better with the crazy customization apps, they are my life.

Top Bottom