• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

I used the AmGlass with the hinge method. Got a few small specks of dust under the bevel that I can barely see so happy with the results! Didn't think it was actually glass although it feels good so good to see it's confirmed glass.

Adamator

Was wondering something. For anyone who may of went from a plastic screen protector to an amfilm glass, is the reflectivity noticeably worse? It's because of this that I'm hesitant to open my amfilm and put it on.

MutFox

Banned
Now that amfilm and Orzly are both readily available, is there a consensus on which one is better? I'm probably going to pull the trigger on one of them tomorrow.

I went with the Orzly as it's a tiny bit thinner.
Might make a difference if you use the dock.

Though the am says it has an opacity of 99.9 and Orzly claims 94%.

Haven't seen any actual comparisons.

Not actually sure the Orzly is thinner, that's all manufacturer specs.
.24mm vs .30mm.
It's almost the same, but there have been adhesive complaints from some am users.
So that .06mm might help, but it's probably the same.

BraXzy

Okay I fully give up. That's my 3rd attempt at a perfect application.

The first time it went on great, didn't seem to have any air bubbles, but there was something up with the screen protector itself. It had weird marks so I had to bin it.

Second attempt failed pretty badly, adhesive from the previous one hadn't fully gone from the looks of things so it had air bubbles and weird splotches underneath.

I had a replacement sent out and it arrived today. Tried to do the hinge method again with various kinds of tape, all of which when I swung the protector open on the hinge and then back, would result in it flicking off the tape. Eventually just placed myself and got a damn near perfect placement. I did it in a steamy bathroom... still got 2 annoyingly noticable bits of dust.

I'm gonna settle with that for now.. I have a 4th spare I guess. I have no idea how people do this spot on with no issue.

Weevilone

I had a replacement sent out and it arrived today. Tried to do the hinge method again with various kinds of tape, all of which when I swung the protector open on the hinge and then back, would result in it flicking off the tape. Eventually just placed myself and got a damn near perfect placement. I did it in a steamy bathroom... still got 2 annoyingly noticable bits of dust.

I'm gonna settle with that for now.. I have a 4th spare I guess. I have no idea how people do this spot on with no issue.

Not sure it would matter, but I used that blue painters tape for hinge and it worked really well.

Buggy Loop

Any tips for this problem? I installed a casebase tempered glass today, no dust, BUT when i relifted the screen just to remove pesky bubbles, it looks like there's adhesive that was "moved" or damaged in the corner? And now one corner is not sitting correctly, it's letting air in. I think it's called lifting edge?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Okay I fully give up. That's my 3rd attempt at a perfect application.

The first time it went on great, didn't seem to have any air bubbles, but there was something up with the screen protector itself. It had weird marks so I had to bin it.

Second attempt failed pretty badly, adhesive from the previous one hadn't fully gone from the looks of things so it had air bubbles and weird splotches underneath.

Christ, I'd almost settle for a stay scratch or two.

Nesther

Was thinking of applying some Leukotape to the inside of my dock: anyone tried that out yet?

Finally getting my replacement unit, but all stores I check are out of stock when it comes to glass protectors.

Yes. Mine is doing it despite being great and taking extra care to not subject the unit to unnecessary heat levels or "warm dock". I'll snap a picture when I get home.
Can we get those pics? My screen protectors should arrive tomorrow, but my Switch will mostly live in the dock so I don't want to introduce potential issues.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Can we get those pics? My screen protectors should arrive tomorrow, but my Switch will mostly live in the dock so I don't want to introduce potential issues.

Sorry - I got distracted last night and didn't get around to it. I'll check it out over lunch and get you guys something to keep an eye out for!

Iced

Sorry if this has been addressed, but for anyone who owns a glass screen protector (specifically Orzly), will this bubble go away in time?

EBbOnms.jpg

I'm not so concerned about the parts around the edges of the protector that don't seem to be sticking, but that bubble has been there since I applied the protector 8 hours ago. I'd tried to push it out but it ain't moving.

alf717

Picked up the Orzly screen protector and can say they fit very nicely on the screen of the Switch. I got two air bubbles but was able to get them out with a bit of pressure from the edge of a credit card. I feel a lot better now that I can finally use it in portable mode more comfortably. All that is left is to do some dock testing but only after I left it set for around 6-8 hours. Hopefully it won't loosen up adhesive.

Quick Edit:

With the added thickness of a tempered glass screen will the dock do any damage to the screen like warp colors or anything due to pressure points? I just noticed it is more snug while docked. I know before the screen protector the Switch wiggled a bit when moving the dock around.

Sorry if this has been addressed, but for anyone who owns a glass screen protector (specifically Orzly), will this bubble go away in time?

EBbOnms.jpg

I'm not so concerned about the parts around the edges of the protector that don't seem to be sticking, but that bubble has been there since I applied the protector 8 hours ago. I'd tried to push it out but it ain't moving.

Use the edge of a credit card and you should be able to work out the bubble. Run it out to the left side. Your actually very lucky cause both of my bubbles were near the middle. I applied a good amount of force to remove the two I had.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Sorry for the delay. My iPhone is having a bitch of a time backing up to Google Photos all of a sudden...

You can see the air "line" along the edge of the protector. It's always there. It gets worse when the unit gets warm. It wasn't there for he first few days after installation.

fBiCEe4l.jpg

bobawesome

Received my replacement Switch yesterday and decided to try my luck at putting the amFilm on. It was trickier than I expected and I had to lift the lower right corner both times to adjust them. Looks like that damaged the protector and now there's like a bend where I lifted it and it won't go down completely.

MutFox

Banned
Got my Orzly on...
1st had a piece of dust,
did it again and it's perfect.

Worked out the bubbles,
now will let it sit until tomorrow night. :p

Zafir

EBbOnms.jpg

Use a credit card/gift card on the bubble and "push" the bubble towards the edge of the screen. At the edge the air should then be released.

They do include a card you can use, but generally they're cardboard and they bend, making it a little less easy.

Since it's tempered glass which is more sturdy, in theory it shouldn't mark the screen, but if you're a little worried, shove the cloth wiper the protector comes with under the credit card when you're moving the bubble. With film protectors, I always recommend doing that when moving bubbles.

Sorry for the delay. My iPhone is having a bitch of a time backing up to Google Photos all of a sudden...

You can see the air "line" along the edge of the protector. It's always there. It gets worse when the unit gets warm. It wasn't there for he first few days after installation.

fBiCEe4l.jpg
I was afraid of melting. I can live with whatever that is.

That's a good day. When it gets warm, that little line grows into the screen as a giant bubble. It's super annoying.
Looks like the adhesive just isn't sticking on that edge. I wonder if that's an application issue.

What happens if you used a card to push out the bubble when it's warm then let it cool?

After a week and a half using the Switch moderately with the Orzly protector glass applied I just want to that it has been perfect. I did let a very small dust particle get in between, but it's so small and never noticeable when the Switch is on that I just ignored it. Apart from that, no problems at all.

Got my AmFilm one on perfectly today. I'm really happy with it.

Feels great to touch too.

It was super easy to put on with the "handles" on the sides. My only complaint is screen glare

I've been using the Zelda Sheikah case and I really like it but want to get something that isn't so colorful. I bought a cheap one from Amazon that they shipped directly from china and it's too thin and I feel like anything other than the Switch itself and there's just too much pressure on the screen. Any recommendations for a good case similar to the sheikah?

With the Zelda case I can put the USB cable and joycon grips in the pouch and not feel like it's putting pressure on the screen when I close the case

Piggus

After a week and a half using the Switch moderately with the Orzly protector glass applied I just want to that it has been perfect. I did let a very small dust particle get in between, but it's so small and never noticeable when the Switch is on that I just ignored it. Apart from that, no problems at all.

Same. Zero issues with the Orzly so far, even with lots of time in the dock playing Zelda.

Davilmar

Orzly after 3 hours of Zelda (docked)...

Flawless application, overnight resting... damn.

I didn't have that "chipping," but I did have air bubbles appear at the bottom of my original amFilm screen protector.Those bubbles weren't there before. I had a replacement sent, and it worked perfectly. Even when placed in the dock for several hours. Hopefully you can get a replacement screen.

Andrea23

Did you try to push those out like air bubbles?

If it doesn't work, ask a replacement and leave it there until it arrives. :(

Yep i have tried, but it seems that the melting have created some sort of 'memory effect'. Consequently the bubbles are reformed after a few seconds : /.

I've asked for a refund and ordered a (second...) pair of amfilm.

Finger crossed : X.

Thoraxes

If it's not too big, try smudging it out with your finger. I thought I had a tiny spec too, but it was just a tiny air bubble that rubbed out on the third day.

gogogow

Yep i have tried, but it seems that the melting have created some sort of 'memory effect'. Consequently the bubbles are reformed after a few seconds : /.

I've asked for a refund and ordered a (second...) pair of amfilm.

Finger crossed : X.

But what is the point of using Amfilm again, if it melted before? I am using Orzly and I have the same "melting" effect at exactly the same area as you. Nothing on the left side, it's really only on the right side near the speaker.
The problem is the design of the dock, the hot air can't escape properly. Nintendo really should redesign that thing, just remove the front panel, two problems solved. It will not scratch screens and will not melt screenprotectors/tempered glasses.

Shouldn't you buy an USB-C extender though? That will definitely solve the problem. Personally, i'm thinking about it.

Have you tried removing the Orzly glass? I'm scared to do it lol, I hope it's not melted onto the Switch screen.

RC0101

Put electricians tape on the dock thanks for that tip! The AM film I put on about 5 days ago is still spotless with no bubbles or dust.

Finally put the Orzly protector on. Had to use the second protector and it came out perfect (I had to use my sibling for help lol). Gonna try it out tomorrow. Had to push out 3 small bubbles but as of right now, it looks 100% perfect. I play docked like 96% of the time, so hopefully the heat doesn't cause bubbles.

Andrea23

But what is the point of using Amfilm again, if it melted before? I am using Orzly and I have the same "melting" effect at exactly the same area as you. Nothing on the left side, it's really only on the right side near the speaker.
The problem is the design of the dock, the hot air can't escape properly. Nintendo really should redesign that thing, just remove the front panel, two problems solved. It will not scratch screens and will not melt screenprotectors/tempered glasses.

Because many claim that their screen protectors are perfect after days and days of use :/. Last but not least the amfilm are the best in quality terms, no doubt. I'm hopeless...

Shouldn't you buy an USB-C extender though? That will definitely solve the problem. Personally, i'm thinking about it.

Good idea, in the future (not now) i might adopt this solution.

Have you tried removing the Orzly glass? I'm scared to do it lol, I hope it's not melted onto the Switch screen.

Maybe that after months of melting the screen will be damaged? Dunno.
When I removed the melted amfilm after ~10 days of usage the screen was fine :).

I just went to put on my Orzly protector that arrived today. I treated it like a fucking medical procedure. Steamy bathroom, medical gloves, air duster, even changed into fresh dust-free clothes. None of that was the problem, though. The hinge stickers were barely sticking, and when I went to take off the protective layer, they came off altogether, leaving me to eyeball putting it on straight.

Somehow, against all odds, I put it on perfectly in one try without a single dust, hair, or bubble.

I feel much more comfortable carrying this thing around in my bag now.

Top Bottom