• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA/Origin account hacked: Is this a new thing?

pants

Some Russian guy hacked my account WTF. I can sign in via my PSN account but I cant change anything.

Scoot2005

Banned
Thank god the only thing on my Origin account is ME3 for Wii U.

Edit - Checked it and everything is fine. Changed my password just in case. Hope you all get this sorted out.

hort

Neo Member
Mine was hacked by some Russian dude a while back but a simple password change seems to have fixed it

pants

Where or how on earth are they hacking accounts? my password isnt the easiest thing to guess, neither is my email address.

Where or how on earth are they hacking accounts? my password isnt the easiest thing to guess, neither is my email address.

Easy compromisable databases. I've had accounts with unique and pretty much impossible to crack passwords that were hacked. Curiously enough, they were all from NCsoft games. It happened so frequently, and usually only after my subscription ended, that I'm convinced someone on the inside is selling these accounts to gold famers.

JKTrix

This just happened to me. Managed to change my password, but the security question is in Russian and I gotta get that sorted out. Joy.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I just discovered this happened to me a few weeks ago. A Russian person logged in to my account, played some BF3 matches and downloaded the Russian Fifa 14 demo, which is now stuck in my games list. He added a couple friends but that's it. Didn't change anything else, oddly enough. I still feel violated though. I went ahead and implemented their version of steamguard so hopefully it won't happen again.

Tenrius

This just happened to me. Managed to change my password, but the security question is in Russian and I gotta get that sorted out. Joy.

You can post it here or PM me, I can speak Russian. Dunno if that would be helpful though lol.

By the way, I have a Russian friend who got his Origin account hacked around November last year. He tried to talk to EA support, but they didn't help him.

Shaneus

I just discovered this happened to me a few weeks ago. A Russian person logged in to my account, played some BF3 matches and downloaded the Russian Fifa 14 demo, which is now stuck in my games list. He added a couple friends but that's it. Didn't change anything else, oddly enough. I still feel violated though. I went ahead and implemented their version of steamguard so hopefully it won't happen again.
I wasn't aware they had a Steamguard-equivalent. One thing I've found to be valuable though is linking either FB or PSN to your Origin account. They can change as much as they want, but AFAIK they can't remove a linked account so you can always login via that (regardless of what details they use).

Edit: Just realised this has only happened to me with my PSN account. I wonder if some of my details (enough to gain access to my accounts via phone, like DOB, email etc.) are floating around in some database and every so often, waves off attempts on mass accounts are performed across this entire database. Your friend and the dude who bumped the thread got hit on Origin, I got hit on PSN.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I wasn't aware they had a Steamguard-equivalent. One thing I've found to be valuable though is linking either FB or PSN to your Origin account. They can change as much as they want, but AFAIK they can't remove a linked account so you can always login via that (regardless of what details they use).

It's under Security

jwfXRyJ.png

Its a standard OTP setup, with backup codes. Doesn't look like there's a way to add it to say an OTP authenticator at the moment, but there's at least email or text message support.

And one can unlink at least Facebook accounts, but not Xbox Live (and maybe PSN?).
vO6fy4l.png

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Did you purchase the Humble EA bundle?

Edit- Nevermind. Just remembered we never had to enter our origin accounts for that stuff.

Lima

Hmm I just tried to setup 2AF on my Origin account but it doesn't send me a text message. How hard can it be to support Google Authenticator EA? Ah I will not bother with this until they add authenticator apps.

Fezan

so i just opened my origin after a long time to download battlefeild 1942 and there are no games under my humble origin bundle. Some nice dude gifted those games to me :(

What should i do reinstalling origin and deleting cache didn't helped

Top Bottom