• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spanish retailer lists Zelda: Majora's Mask 3DS

Why? It's been specifically mentioned for both, every time the game has been discussed (most recently on the Nintendo Direct in January, and before that with the Namco Bandai announcement last summer).

Mostly because every time it's brought up, it's about how difficult it is to make.

If they were going to cancel one version for not being up to standards, the 3DS version needs the game less than the Wii U does.

I never had the expansion pack and thus never played MM, lol.

I think I have it on one of the GCN bonus discs though. Maybe I'll try it on that.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I sympathize with people wanting an original Zelda on the 3DS, but I have never actually completed Majora's Mask and this would be the perfect way to go back. I really hope this happens.

Same. I have owned it several times but for some reason or another never made it to completion.

A 3DS remake is my most wanted game on the system.

Nosgoroth

Xtralife had better stop posting fake listings and ship me my copy of Fire Emblem already. It's supposed to be out by Friday.

What is it with European/South American online retailers pulling speculative listings out of their asses? Are there NA retailers I'm not aware of that do this?

Kallor

Fuck this shit Nintendo, just give us the damn game already. Would take you like 15 minutes and a couple of dollars.

Your second clause is obviously true, but I don't know how you conclude that either version being cancelled is a significant possibility.

Significant is a bit further than I intended my comments to go, but I would not have guessed that Nintendo would have to outsource the gruntwork to Namco until they actually did do that.

Concessions to get a product out may not number high, but they are larger than I have expected so far.

Chronos24

I actually posted about this a while back when speculating about MM. I have a friend who works at GameStop who has a friend (yes I know friend of a friend) that told me her friend works for nintendo of Japan and said they were making MM for 3ds.

Foffy

Banned
I would prefer Nintendo would go the route Falcom did with the Ys games; remake the black sheep into one of the best games in the series.

Adventure of Link remake, please!

If Majora's Mask comes out, I would also not be surprised.

They've outright mentioned the possibility before, but I suspect that is where any listing is coming from.

Oersted

This, fuck another port

Another zelda remake.....disappointing if this was the zelda 3ds.

Series producer Eiji Aonuma has confirmed that an all-new Zelda is in development for the Nintendo 3DS. Aonuma says the game will be closer to console games than to previous DS Zelda titles.

"We are already preparing a new game, a game in the series for the Nintendo 3DS, but don't think that it is a direct sequel to the Zelda titles released on DS," he told Portugese site MyGames. "We are talking about a new game, but it takes much of what has been done on previous consoles."

Shouldn´t that be known by now?

Sigh..

OoT is a port. It added a boss challenge mode and nothing to significantly enhance the gameplay or add more replay value. No matter how much you think they improved the graphics (FYI, they added polygons to the old models and didn't create new ones from scratch) or the sound (they literally did nothing but sequence the music so it sounded exactly like the original, crappy N64 music), it ultimately was the exact same game with a couple of minor tweaks to how items are equipped. Oh, and breathtaking, gameplay-enhancing 3D. Joy.

If you honestly think their aim with OoT 3D was to remake the game from the ground up and improve upon in it substantial ways, I can give you Ask Iwata quotes that show otherwise.

This is a remake:

7HZe0gy.jpg

Thought at first glance it looks the same game as the NES version of Super Mario Bros., play the game even for a few minutes and you can see that the programmers dug into the original code of the game, fixed many of its flaws, and added new gameplay features. It wasn't rebuilt from scratch, but it was improved so much that it stands on its own as a new version, not port, of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LrtclTHU4M

THAT is what Nintendo is capable of when they set out to properly remake something. OoT was kind of lazy.

The Boat

Sigh..

OoT is a port. It added a boss challenge mode and nothing to significantly enhance the gameplay or add more replay value. No matter how much you think they improved the graphics (FYI, they added polygons to the old models and didn't create new ones from scratch) or the sound (they literally did nothing but sequence the music so it sounded exactly like the original, crappy N64 music), it ultimately was the exact same game with a couple of minor tweaks to how items are equipped. Oh, and breathtaking, gameplay-enhancing 3D. Joy.

If you honestly think their aim with OoT 3D was to remake the game from the ground up and improve upon in it substantial ways, I can give you Ask Iwata quotes that show otherwise.

THAT is what Nintendo is capable of when they set out to properly remake something. OoT was kind of lazy.
Just because it wasn't a full remake doesn't make it lazy. It's an enhanced port with plenty of work put into it and it's the definitive version of OoT. Personally I have some doubts about the art style and world holding up in a remake done to today's "bleeding edge" standards. But like you said, it was never supposed to be a remake.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Oh God, Robotnick, please tell me you DID NOT use Zelda Informer as a source. :(

You're better than this, man!

Just because it wasn't a full remake doesn't make it lazy. It's an enhanced port with plenty of work put into it and it's the definitive version of OoT. Personally I have some doubts about the art style and world holding up in a remake done to today's "bleeding edge" standards. But like you said, it was never supposed to be a remake.

I just think OoT deserved better, and in some ways, has gotten better from the rom hacking community: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asgoHSzs4Vw
They wouldn't have broken the game by unlocking what was already programed into the game in 1998 (but disabled) and making it a secret move Link could learn.

Weiss

Banned
If there's one thing I hate about the 3DS it's that most of the worthwhile games are ports, or Nintendo, so I should be diametrically opposed to a port of a Nintendo games.

idontcarewantnowinjectitintomyveins

You have got to be kidding...

You're right, there's nothing cool about shooting beams from a sword. How I dare I call Nintendo out for not unscrapping a cool, non-game-breaking feature.

QqPEHkT.jpg

^ Screenshot of the move in effect just a few months before the game's release. The code for it is almost entirely functional.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I never joke, sir. Especially when it comes to OoT.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a full blown OoT remake on Wii U. I think everyone would. It's a little unfair to expect too much of Nintendo, though. I mean, we just got an enhanced port, and now we have two more - possibly three if we do end up getting Majora - Zelda games on the way.

Maybe some years down the line, but I really think asking for OoT on Wii U now is asking for too much.

AniHawk

their handheld remakes usually have new levels and extra features. with oot, they already *had* that stuff, but it was in the form of a disc that had been given away for free eight years earlier. i can understand them being lazy with that one, although they did try to change it up even for veterans of master quest.

oot 3d was also one of those things where it was sorta just a tech demo at e3 and people clearly were excited. then they went, 'oh a tech demo? well HOW ABOUT A FULL GAME?!' i don't think it was planned.

That ONE feature makes the remake crap?

No, it makes it a huge wasted opportunity on their part to add something that would have taken minimal effort. And as I said earlier, I don't consider it a remake in light of all the actual remakes Nintendo has made like Super Mario Bros. Deluxe and the Super Mario Advance series.

BY2K

Membero Americo
No, it makes it a huge wasted opportunity on their part to add something that would have taken minimal effort. And as I said earlier, I don't consider it a remake in light of all the actual remakes Nintendo has made like Super Mario Bros. Deluxe and the Super Mario Advance series.

OoT3D fits more the bill of a remake than the Super Mario Advance series does.

OoT3D IS a remake.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I take the bait and waste this post asking: how so?

Well note that I only played Yoshi's Island thanks to the Ambassador program. It didn't change graphically, OoT3D did, which already defines it more as a remake. And aren't the others just ports from the Super Mario All-Star version?

Darryl

Banned
You're right, there's nothing cool about shooting beams from a sword. How I dare I call Nintendo out for not unscrapping a cool, non-game-breaking feature.

QqPEHkT.jpg

^ Screenshot of the move in effect just a few months before the game's release. The code for it is almost entirely functional.

its a cool visual but its really only a visual. shit i rarely even used the charge attack. whats it good for outside of clearing bushes?

Darryl

Banned
Didn't they quite literally remake OoT? As in, new data, not just up res and whatnot?

from what i'm aware most of the same code is still there and you can do all of the glitches from the original OoT (which would not be the case if it was a complete remake). i think they just tore everything apart and put new textures and 3D models in.

antonz

Miyamoto strongly suggested it was going to come eventually though he made the point they would release a new Zelda 3DS game before another remake.

Well note that I only played Yoshi's Island thanks to the Ambassador program. It didn't change graphically, OoT3D did, which already defines it more as a remake. And aren't the others just ports from the Super Mario All-Star version?

They all added new gameplay features. I haven't played all of them, but from what I remember, I think most of them had a coin collecting aspect. Super Mario World had Dragon Coins to collect to unlock something, I don't know what. Super Mario Bros. 2 had a new boss added to it, Super Mario Bros. 3 had entire new stages (via the e-cards).

Top Bottom