• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

meanspartan

I'm wondering if either of these issues is considering a system defect worthy of returning my PS4.

1. When going into standby mode, when I come out of it, about 60% of the time there is no sound. I need to turn off the PS4 and back on again for the sound to return.

2. The system itself seems to get kind of hot on the right side. There is no excessive fan noise though from about 7 feet away I can hear the fans running but it's not like the jet fighter noise of the PS3.

Other than these two issues my system has been running like a champ and performing without issue. I have the PS4 warranty so I'm not necessarily worried about it, just curious how significant and/or widespread these issues are.

I have this issue too, though mine is probably more like 25% of the time on startup it has no sound. Like you said, turning it off and back on works. What also works for me is unplugging the HDMI and then plugging it back in.

My Ps4 is warm on the right matte side, but I believe that is normal. Also, mine is quiet but not silent. If my speakers on the tv are even at relatively low volume, I can't really hear the PS4 over the game. But if I go to the UI screen with the light music it plays, I can hear the hum of the system fans if I am listening for it.

So as for the audio issue, it doesn't really bother me SO LONG AS it isn't symptomatic of other problems to come. I personally think it is some sort of weird handshake issue with my TV, especially since unplugging the HDMI and putting it back in solves the problem without a PS4 reset.

But if I am wrong, or if this IS a sign of more issues to come, someone please correct me.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
No. I'm done. Two consoles two duds. I wasn't going to deal with it this gen. In fact I think I'm done in general. My hobby I love has gone to shit. Everything breaks. I'm just done. Time to find a new hobby. At least I won't have to worry about spending anything at amazon for awhile. I bought a giftcard to purchase it. Hence I'm only getting it back as credit at Amazon.

:( :( :(
Cheer up. My import console got the BLOD and I spent a lot of money to send it back to Amazon. I'll just pick one up when Infamous comes out, hopefully it will be fixed.

meanspartan

By what people is discussing here, you really believe its 1% failure rate?
I got one in my country, it have guarantee but its not the same quality as Amazon Guarantee, and how its imported, I dont have Sony guarantee. Hope I dont get a bad PS4 unit, and feel sorry for the "unluck" ones. =(

Dude you gotta remember, if it is indeed 1%, that would be about 10,000 mostly tech savvy people with busted systems who are rightly upset and want to let everyone know, be it on GAF, twitter, FB, Amazon reviews, etc. The people happy with their system are mostly just enjoying it.

And I think it may be a bit higher, not because Sony is lying but because it has only been a few days and they don't have the full picture yet you know?

So if it is more like 3%, that number instantly goes from 10,000 to 30,000 people. And so on and so on for higher rates.

Jigolo

I know orange means charging but what color light will my controller light up once it's fully charged?

How do I get to the video editing?

Is there any possible way to share your screens and videos to the "What's New" section without a Facebook or Twitter account?

Kssio_Aug

Dude you gotta remember, if it is indeed 1%, that would be about 10,000 mostly tech savvy people with busted systems who are rightly upset and want to let everyone know, be it on GAF, twitter, FB, Amazon reviews, etc. The people happy with their system are mostly just enjoying it.

And I think it may be a bit higher, not because Sony is lying but because it has only been a few days and they don't have the full picture yet you know?

So if it is more like 3%, that number instantly goes from 10,000 to 30,000 people. And so on and so on for higher rates.

I think youre right! I just hope not to be a unluck one!
Thanks!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I was talking to a friend about my whole ps4 ordeal and he said i should keep the 10 dollar psn credit on the defective unit i am returning to amazon. Told him I would feel bad, but he said the amazon returns place would just take it anyway and they only care about the ps4 unit and accessories. Should I just keep it? hmmmmm......

I know orange means charging but what color light will my controller light up once it's fully charged?

How do I get to the video editing?

Is there any possible way to share your screens and videos to the "What's New" section without a Facebook or Twitter account?

1. it turns offf.
2. press the share button then press the option button on the clip you want to edit.
3. im not sure.

Revoh

I'm using a HDMI switch to connect my PS4 and PC to my monitor which only have 1 HDMI port.
When I turn the PS4 on the device keeps looping between the two signals (PS4 & PC) and doesn't display an image
This is the device: Portta PET0301S 3x1 HDMI Switcher with 3D Support
When I connect the PS4 directly to my monitor it works fine. But it's a pain in the ass to do this manually everytime I want to play my PS4. :(
Does anybody have a similar setup?

erawsd

I was talking to a friend about my whole ps4 ordeal and he said i should keep the 10 dollar psn credit on the defective unit i am returning to amazon. Told him I would feel bad, but he said the amazon returns place would just take it anyway and they only care about the ps4 unit and accessories. Should I just keep it? hmmmmm......

Yeah, keep it for your trouble. I'm sure they assume that stuff has been redeemed anyway.

So all my friends keep on saying that my voice is cutting in and out on party chat. I am using the mic that came with my ps4 and also tried my brother's ps4's mic, and that didn't seem to help. : / Any suggestions?

fade_

So all my friends keep on saying that my voice is cutting in and out on party chat. I am using the mic that came with my ps4 and also tried my brother's ps4's mic, and that didn't seem to help. : / Any suggestions?

Is it constantly? Mine seemed to be doing it when DLing/installing in the background.

ironcreed

Banned
No. I'm done. Two consoles two duds. I wasn't going to deal with it this gen. In fact I think I'm done in general. My hobby I love has gone to shit. Everything breaks. I'm just done. Time to find a new hobby. At least I won't have to worry about spending anything at amazon for awhile. I bought a giftcard to purchase it. Hence I'm only getting it back as credit at Amazon.

Jesus, somebody else got two duds in a row? Pretty discouraging, but no need to quit gaming. Maybe just wait awhile before jumping into next gen.

pHPvJ.gif

That fucking sucks.

Shinjiru

So rumble works flawlessly in Flower but doesn't work at all in any other game. I'm thinking it's software issues.
I wonder if that's the case too. I played Knack for a couple days thinking there was no rumble. But after playing it some more I noticed rumble is there, but it rarely seems to be used.

Speevy

Banned
Hey guys, I just had a weird thing happen.

A game froze and the system rebooted itself.

I thought the system was toast at first but then it started back up and I have been playing with no problems.

I updated the new firmware and tried to play 2K14. The game booted up and was trying to install even though it was already cached. So it was stuck on 50%, the disc would spin, it would still be at 50%, the disc would spin, etc. Rinse and repeat. After 15 minutes and the game being stuck on 50% I had to do a complete delete and start all over. Bizarre.

Baliis

I'm using a HDMI switch to connect my PS4 and PC to my monitor which only have 1 HDMI port.
When I turn the PS4 on the device keeps looping between the two signals (PS4 & PC) and doesn't display an image
When I connect the PS4 directly to my monitor it works fine. But it's a pain in the ass to do this manually everytime I want to play my PS4. :(

I had a similar problem that I posted about it switching back to the ps4 periodically when its in standby, but I never really found a solution, it just kinda... stopped. My HDMI switch is powered though, if I unplug it, it freaks out like what you're describing and will keep switching back and forth. It might just not be getting enough power from the ps4 to work right without external power? Not exactly sure how switches like that work.

Ok, well fuck this shit. I got pretty far in BF4 and my gf actually watched most of it and was liking it, then I couldnt play for a couple days and I come back and it is reset and deleted all my progress... I guess this is a known bug...

Great... Your game is basically useless now. Fuck.

Revoh

I had a similar problem that I posted about it switching back to the ps4 periodically when its in standby, but I never really found a solution, it just kinda... stopped. My HDMI switch is powered though, if I unplug it, it freaks out like what you're describing and will keep switching back and forth. It might just not be getting enough power from the ps4 to work right without external power? Not exactly sure how switches like that work.

It might be that. I'm gonna try power the switch on with an ac adapter tonight after work and see what happens.

leca

PS4 arrived.

Unboxed, BLOD.

Went through and completed all the trouble shooting in this topic and the suggestions from Sony over a few hours. No luck :(

Amazon are getting a replacement out asap, hopefully they will also refund the return shipping cost. That's going to be astronomical from Australia back to the US.

Just disappointed, crushing blow. Oh well, will get sorted out in time.

Ok, well fuck this shit. I got pretty far in BF4 and my gf actually watched most of it and was liking it, then I couldnt play for a couple days and I come back and it is reset and deleted all my progress... I guess this is a known bug...

Just download your save game from the cloud

beanman25

The last 2 times I've powered my console on it started in safe mode then reset to normal. Am I on the cusp of a dead console?

WholeFnShow

Neo Member
So far my console (Amazon purchased with the latest firmware) seems to be faring better than others,but I did have a couple of questions about some issues that have come up in the past couple of days.

The first is a couple of times that I have powered on the console, I'm not receiving a picture until I either cycle back through to HDMI 3 or if I turn the TV off/on (My TV is an Insignia model #NS-42l780a12 and there doesn't seem to be a firmware update for it).

The system starts fine and the light goes white like it is supposed to, but no picture until I do the preceding things. That does not happen every time. I also have had to do that when playing a blu ray, no picture until cycling through my HDMI inputs or powering off/on the TV. Otherwise it just keeps attempting to detect the signal (Again, not every time).

The other question I have is when I place the console on standby, the screen shuts off right away, but it seems to take a good 15-20 seconds before the light turns orange and the system stops making noise. Just wondered if that is normal/to be expect?

Thanks in advance guys for any insight or help.

besada

Banned
I experienced the same issue. I use the same micro USB cable on my PS4 and it charges the DS4. I plug it into a USB port on my power conditioner and nothing.

Different ports put out different levels of electricity. Ports designed for phones, in general, aren't capable of charging things like an iPad, or maybe a DS4. Try moving the same cable to a new power source and see if it works. If so, it's the power source.

Calibus

Sigh

So first world problem time: Finally got the coffin this morning. Had to send it to my parents house because I work during the day. My plan was to get it sent in to arrive at Sony Friday morning then get the replacement console Saturday morning. Well, the return box is too big to fit into the Fed Ex drop box so my dad had to call Fed Ex and arrange for them to pick it up tomorrow and then overnight it to arrive Saturday. Assuming Sony replacement crew is even in on Saturday, it will be either Monday or Tuesday before I see the new unit.

have you tried powering up your devices in a different order?

Enectic

Banned
Sigh

So first world problem time: Finally got the coffin this morning. Had to send it to my parents house because I work during the day. My plan was to get it sent in to arrive at Sony Friday morning then get the replacement console Saturday morning. Well, the return box is too big to fit into the Fed Ex drop box so my dad had to call Fed Ex and arrange for them to pick it up tomorrow and then overnight it to arrive Saturday. Assuming Sony replacement crew is even in on Saturday, it will be either Monday or Tuesday before I see the new unit.

The shipping service Sony is using is FedEx Standard Overnight. Service days are only Monday through Friday with Saturday pick up offered as an extra service for an additional charge. I don't think Sony opted for it though. Under my handling instructions it states: Deliver Weekday.

Calibus

The shipping service Sony is using is FedEx Standard Overnight. Service days are only Monday through Friday with Saturday pick up offered as an extra service for an additional charge. I don't think Sony opted for it though. Under my handling instructions it states: Deliver Weekday.

Ugh. So it's looking like Tuesday for the replacement.

thatJohann

Just download your save game from the cloud

This also happenned to me. How do you download save game? I refuse to start campaign again.

Athreous

Got mine 5 hours ago =D

I had to import it from amazon ( I live in Brazil)

So far, so good =D

I'm just worried about how hot it gets (it's almost summer here, so it's really hot at this time of the year), but the heat behind my ps4 is really high, specially near the hdmi/power cord sockets...

Is it supposed to reach these high temps?

The cooler is working just fine btw

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Sounds like your switch is not getting enough power or your cable run is too long. Get a powered switch or thicker gauge cables if your run is over 10 feet.

npa189

Just got back from the Sony store with a brand new console. At first the manager thought I was just crazy, but he put a disc in a couple times, and sure enough it sounded like a dot matrix printer, so far so good, back to sailing the high seas in AC4. If you live close to a Sony store, just go there, it was pretty much no questions asked on the spot replacement.

Revoh

have you tried powering up your devices in a different order?
Yes. I've tried this. The problem is that the switch is a cheap POS.

Sounds like your switch is not getting enough power or your cable run is too long. Get a powered switch or thicker gauge cables if your run is over 10 feet.

I need to try using it powered. I don't know if the thing is 110 or 220 volts though. It doesn't say on its crappy manual.

Aspiring

Ok guys so after getting my Ps4 setting everything up and getting ready, it woulnt turn on. All I get is a no signal from my TV and pulsating light. So t boot in safe mode, and I tried different TVs, HDMI cables power cables everything. Thing is fucked. Chat with amazon right away, got $60 credit for a free game and a replacement due in a few days. Disappointed and upset, but at least it was sorted fast and swift. Props to amazon.

has anyone else been getting the notification: A LAN cable is unplugged message when booting up their system?

the connection works fine but I always seem to get this message when i sign in.

Bizzquik

got my amazon replacement today. everything is working so far, just updated to 1.51

Question to people that have received their Amazon replacement: What did they send you?

Did Amazon just send you a new console unit in a generic box (like Sony is doing with their "coffins")? Or did Amazon send you everything (new console with cords, controller, manual, boxing, etc)?

And what do you have to send back to Amazon? (Just the malfunctioning PS4, or the malfunctioning PS4, controller, cords, and manual, etc...?)

Thanks in advance, from a fellow Amazon BLoD sufferer.

Derrick01

Banned
Question to people that have received their Amazon replacement: What did they send you?

Did Amazon just send you a new console unit in a generic box (like Sony is doing with their "coffins")? Or did Amazon send you everything (new console with cords, controller, manual, boxing, etc)?

And what do you have to send back to Amazon? (Just the malfunctioning PS4, or the malfunctioning PS4, controller, cords, and manual, etc...?)

Thanks in advance, from a fellow Amazon BLoD sufferer.

Amazon sent me an entire new, unopened system. It was packaged one thousand times better than my original too. The new console even had another set of coupon codes I could use.

As for sending everything back I did it just in case. The rep I was talking to asked me to confirm if I was sending everything back and I said yeah I assumed I had to, but the rep never mentioned that I had to. I would do it just so there's no complications.

War Eagle

Ok guys so after getting my Ps4 setting everything up and getting ready, it woulnt turn on. All I get is a no signal from my TV and pulsating light. So t boot in safe mode, and I tried different TVs, HDMI cables power cables everything. Thing is fucked. Chat with amazon right away, got $60 credit for a free game and a replacement due in a few days. Disappointed and upset, but at least it was sorted fast and swift. Props to amazon.

WTF, how did everyone get the $60 credit but me??

Top Bottom