• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

Calibus

Just got my replacement from Sony -- so far works flawlessly save for I have not yet tried a physical disc

/knocks on wood

My God this system is so fast and powerful coming from the PS3.

Elchele

Another Gaffer wrote an excellent guide about the first few hours with your PS4 somewhere on this thread, but generally:

- Proper ventilation in your TV Stand is paramount, always make sure there's some room to breathe at the back, and no cables are blocking the vents on your PS4.
- When updating via USB, make sure your USB stick is properly formatted and do a checksum on the update file after copying it to USB.
- If you encounter flickering on your TV, make sure your HDMI cable is properly attached, make sure your TV's firmware is updated to its latest, and if you're using a 3rd party HDMI cable, make sure it's properly specced: http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/buying_guide.aspx

Other than that, don't do anything silly like putting your unit on a carpet, or putting your ADSL/Cable modem on top of your PS4.

I received a bad one from Amazon, it shut itself off after a good ten minutes, I guess just give it a good test, play for a few hours.

Thank you guys.

It's safe to update via Internet (without usb)? I would prefer to do that.

Athreous

I had to import my ps4 from Amazon ( I Live in Brazil...)

Can I get covered if I buy the +2 years warranty? I don't care if I have to pay the shipping to US, as long as It can get fixed in case of a failure (My ps4 will live forever for sure! xD)

Looking for some suggestions:

My tv appears to be rejecting my PS4. However, it has no problem with my Wii U.

The PS4 was working fine on my tv for a few weeks, but it suddently stopped working. It occassionally gets a light black, dark black alternating flicker, during which you can move the sticks and get a little menu sound (though no actual video). I've tried messing with the video output resolutions on my PS4, though both 720p and 1080p both work fine on my Wii U, I've tried moving around hdmi ports, and I've tried using a different hdmi cord. Nothing has helped. My Wii U works in all scenarios. However, pluging my PS4 into my monitor has yielded a picture and sound without issue.

So where is the fault? I'd say it's my tv, but the Wii U works fine. I'd say it's my PS4, but it outputs without issue to a monitor. Nothing changed to make it suddenly stop working as far as I can tell. What's my game plan here GAF? Really appreciate suggestions!

It's your TV in conjunction with the HDCP on PS4. My old TV has the same issue.

I'm not sure what you mean. It's a software issue? Why would it crop up now, and not before? What would be causing it to trigger hdcp all of a sudden? Why would it not occur with a monitor? Assuming this is the issue though, practically speaking, what can be done about it. You probably know better than me, so help is appreciated.

I'm not sure what you mean. It's a software issue? Why would it crop up now, and not before? What would be causing it to trigger hdcp all of a sudden? Why would it not occur with a monitor? Assuming this is the issue though, practically speaking, what can be done about it. You probably know better than me, so help is appreciated.
You can shell out for a converter box like an HDFury or whatever. I had the same problem as you. Just decided to get rid of my 55 inch tv and bought a new one. Sadly, I didn't really want to.

Sent in my system Wednesday was promised it by Friday. Did not show up and then I was promised again by Monday or Tuesday the latest. Once again it didn't show up it looks like it probably wont come even this week. Now I have to waste a couple hours trying to get in a chat with them again. Its ridiculous that I haven't received my system yet and that they haven't figured a way for people to contact them easier. The chat and phone lines have been jammed since launch. What terrible customer support

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It sounds like a typical HDMI HDCP handshake issue (no picture, but audio). My old TV used to work with PS3 HDMI just fine, then one day it just wouldn't work with HDCP sources (PS3, Directv movie channels, PS4). Non-HDCP protected sources work just fine. What I'd suggest is see if your TV (I'm guessing it's 5+ years old) has a firmware update or find a way to bypass HDCP via a splitter.

This $20 splitter apparently works http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004F9LVXC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

HDCP is terrible DRM that only affects legitimate users.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. My tv is on its 5th year, and as far as firmware goes, I've never even known it to have any, though I'll look into that. Wasn't planning on upgrading, but I don't want to buy a box to get around it either. Any idea if Sony is aware of this or if they plan on remedying it? Or is this just par for the course with new tech?

Edit: HEY! Guess what? Now none of my hdmi ports are working for my Wii U either. So maybe my TV is just going bad. FUCK. Looks like I'm looking for a new TV.

Smether

Today I noticed that despite having the correct settings, the PS4 lacks the option to use only optical for sound and only hdmi for video simultaneously. It was not like this on last gen systems. It's very annoying to have sound coming out on both the tv and the speakers. There was a separate thread for this, but it seems to have died.

Anybody hear anything about this? Hopefully a quick fix via system updates.

So the chat rep said that my ps4 is ready to ship but she doesnt have a tracking number so is not sure if it shipped or not today. My service number still says the system has only been received. People who have gotten their replacement from Sony, was the service number updated with a tracking number the day before it arrived?

zedge

For people who are experiencing your L1/R1 shoulder buttons sticking like I was, this video shows you how to fix it.

You do NOT have to take the back off the controller, simply get a small screw driver and pop the button out. It took me maybe 3 minutes, and I just wiped off the poles and put a dab of WD40 on the poles with a q-tip. No more sticky shoulder buttons :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyFqkm7oIEk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Wow, this really is a pretty big issue. Wonder if Sony will address it. Good that someone found a quick fix but it needs to be dealt with.

Ok, so after hours of playing, every now and then a really loud beep comes from my ps4. The light isn't changing color, and its really, really short. It's also not the sound of the beep when you turn it on. Generally happens, as mentioned, after a few hours and when a lot of shit is going on on-screen. I'm assuming it's an overheating warning noise or something, but it's never shutdown and just happens then goes away and doesn't do it again for awhile. Google turned up nothing on this.

Cmagus

It sounds like a typical HDMI HDCP handshake issue (no picture, but audio). My old TV used to work with PS3 HDMI just fine, then one day it just wouldn't work with HDCP sources (PS3, Directv movie channels, PS4). Non-HDCP protected sources work just fine. What I'd suggest is see if your TV (I'm guessing it's 5+ years old) has a firmware update or find a way to bypass HDCP via a splitter.

This $20 splitter apparently works http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004F9LVXC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

HDCP is terrible DRM that only affects legitimate users.

Its super annoying I still haven't been able to fix mine. Basically I have to be on the HDMI source before I turn it on or I won't get any picture at all unless I turn off my TV and turn it back on. I mean I can deal with it but still it would be nice considering I like to switch to the TV source when stuff is downloading but as soon as I come back I gotta shut the TV off again.

thatJohann

I had it on standby and I booted it up. I noticed the music on the home screen started to skip and get choppy and then I noticed some slight flickering on the screen. I freaked out and turned it off and back on again. It hasn't hapened today but I feel it's about to die. I checked the HDMI port on the back and there's no protruding pins. It was working fine. I wonder if it might be software related.

Also, ps store 99% of the time doesn't even load for me. It just shows the blue background and loads forever. I thought it was PSN being sucky, but now I wonder if it's my ps4 being defective.

Anyone encountered this?

Enectic

Banned
I have been less than pleased with Sony's technical support; hopefully it's just because of the volume of calls/returns they're receiving. I initiated the return last Monday (the 18th) after being on hold for over an hour with the CS rep assuring me that these problems were getting expedited and I would have a new PS4 within 5 days. I didn't receive a coffin on Wednesday so I gave them a call again (on hold again for over an hour) to see if there were any problems and they told me it was being shipped that day. I received it on Thursday and sent my PS4 out that same day. According to tracking it arrived at their service center on Friday. I finally received the confirmation email that they received it yesterday. I gave them another call yesterday (on hold again for over an hour) to see if I could get any more info and they told me that it might ship out in the next 2 to 3 days. I don't know why it would take so long, my impression was that this was a quick swap. So now I'm looking at around 2 weeks (if not longer) from the time I called Sony to the time I get a replacement PS4...not exactly my definition of expedited.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've encountered an interesting issue.

My PS4 is, thankfully, working great. No problems whatsoever.

However, I integrated the device directly into my system using my already properly run HDMI cables while ignoring the included cable.

Today, while fiddling with capturing from various sources, I decided to run my receiver into the capture card as well (just to check something). I had a couple cables handy from the XB1 and PS4 so I grabbed the PS4 cable and plugged it in.

Great, it worked, the image appeared on the screen and everything was fine. I'm running through this an HDCP stripper, by the way, of which I have three different types of units.

I'm using the Xbox One for capture via the receiver, by the way.

So I move cables around again and when I come back to the receiver, I can no longer get a picture. Hmmmm. Capture card reports no input.

The consoles are being fed into the receiver during this and sound is playing through the receiver while no picture is being displayed. Here's the thing, though, the sound kept dropping every few seconds (as if the receiver was losing the audio) only to pick it right back up. This happened with all HDMI devices (no video on capture card plus skipping audio).

When I plug this cable into either Xbox One or PS4 I never actually get a picture when running directly to the TV either.

So I swap in the HDMI cable from the Xbox One package and every combination works fine once again.

Next, I use the PS4 cable with a different TV and Xbox 360. 360 doesn't even boot and no picture appears. I plug original HDMI back in and the Xbox 360 bootup logo immediately shows up.

When I plug a laptop in using that cable? The image does appear but it flickers on and off.

So, between all of those steps, it's clear to me that the HDMI cable included with the system does not work properly. I've encountered this numerous times with a couple bad cables from Monoprice and even a bad DVI-HDMI cable from another shop. Same types of problems. Clearly some consoles are broken but this makes me wonder if a few people's problems are due to bad HDMI cables included in the box? A bad cable will definitely result in weird issues.

dgco86

Got mine from Amazon US today (chose the free/slow shipping). Unfortunately it's got the blue light of death. Tried multiple power points/power strips, multiple TVs and multiple HDMI and it's a no go. Can't even get into the recovery menu. Thankfully Amazon is sending me a replacement. I hope it arrives soon.

so whenever I turn on my ps4 my tv automatically switches inputs to the ps4 hdmi. thats cool but not always ideal if I want to remote play and it automatically switches the tv to ps4 on my wife. its also vise versa where if my system is off and I switch to the ps4 input, my system will automatically turn on. is this a normal function of the ps4 or some setting with my tv? my ps3 never did this on the same tv.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
so whenever I turn on my ps4 my tv automatically switches inputs to the ps4 hdmi. thats cool but not always ideal if I want to remote play and it automatically switches the tv to ps4 on my wife. its also vise versa where if my system is off and I switch to the ps4 input, my system will automatically turn on. is this a normal function of the ps4 or some setting with my tv? my ps3 never did this on the same tv.

Do you have HDMI link enabled in the menus?

juanjux

Neo Member
Hi!
I got my PS4 yesterday. I've played with the system and the games for about five hours. I'm pretty happy with the system, but I've two instances of a game going to a black screen. The first one was in COD Ghosts. I was in the waiting lobby for a multiplayer match and the screen went black. I pressed the PS button and it went correctly to the Home screen. I then went back to Ghosts and the screen was still black. I closed the application and opened it again and it worked perfectly.
The second time was this morning. I started Resogun and the screen was black (but I still had sound), and after I pressed "X" in the lower part of the screen there were some white lines, like if all the image was diplaced. I went (without problem) to the Home screen, closed the game, opened again and the same happened, several times. I rebooted the console and then Resogun worked perfectly.

As I said, this has happened two times in about 5 hours, so it's not constant. Is this normal? I don't think it is a hardware problem because going back to the home screen always work, sound like a HDCP or firmware or game issue, but if that were the case it should be common among all the PS4s. I will also try to update my TV firmware tonight. My TV is a 2011 LG 50PV350T.

Gutted. Far as I can tell my system works fine, my controller however is DOA. Boot up as normal but when it asks me to push the PS button nothing happens. The Controller lights up when connected, but thats it. Tried pressing the reset button, nothing. Anything im missing?

JoeM86

A friend of mine, who doesn't have an account here so posting on his behalf, had this happen after he updated to the new firmware:
http://instagram.com/p/hTDNGKyYf4/# (If you can't see the video, the TV screen flashes between black and white noise)

He got it from Amazon UK, connects with HDMI cable to a Samsung TV at 1080p. He tried different cables on different ports and same result.

Everything was fine until the update. Any suggestions?

Edit: It just started working again, but any explanation would be appreciated.
Took out the hard drive, plugged it in. Still wouldn't boot to safe mode. Put it back in, switched off the TV at the power. Just flipped off everything plugged into that outlet. Turned it back on again after 30 seconds and it worked

Cmagus

I think my PS4 is about to kick the bucket. I am still having the display issue on start up but now more and more even if I do the steps that worked before it isn't working. Now its starting to freeze up on my all the time I just tried now and I got to the PS logo then I lost image and even when trying to reboot it doesn't work. I restarted and got onto my account accepted a few friend request but while doing so the machine locked up twice now. Guess I'll have to contact Sony maybe get a replacement.

KeRaSh

My PS4 works like a charm but my brother's PS4 was DOA.
The blue light slowly pulsates and the system is unable to boot into the recovery mode.
I feel really sorry for him and he's really pissed. Sony support lines are unreachable...

My own PS4 thankfully works perfectly but a friends PS4 appears to be DOA :(

Amazon.de made in China
HDMI straight to TV
1080p
none
no

No matter what he does he gets a pulsing blue light along with "NO SIGNAL" on the TV
He already tried to start it without the HDD to force it into safe-mode and the "Hold PS Button on DS4" fix also doesn't seem to work. According to him the HDMI port is also fine.
Is there anything he can still try? :/

My PS4 works like a charm but my brother's PS4 was DOA.
The blue light slowly pulsates and the system is unable to boot into the recovery mode.
I feel really sorry for him and he's really pissed. Sony support lines are unreachable...

He might aswell try the "DS4 fix" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6N0ktQyI4g Best of luck to him to get it fixed or replaced fast!

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Gutted. Far as I can tell my system works fine, my controller however is DOA. Boot up as normal but when it asks me to push the PS button nothing happens. The Controller lights up when connected, but thats it. Tried pressing the reset button, nothing. Anything im missing?

Is your controller plugged in for charging when you do this? If so, unplug it.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Thanks for the suggestions guys. My tv is on its 5th year, and as far as firmware goes, I've never even known it to have any, though I'll look into that. Wasn't planning on upgrading, but I don't want to buy a box to get around it either. Any idea if Sony is aware of this or if they plan on remedying it? Or is this just par for the course with new tech?

Edit: HEY! Guess what? Now none of my hdmi ports are working for my Wii U either. So maybe my TV is just going bad. FUCK. Looks like I'm looking for a new TV.

Try turning off and unplugging your tv for a bit, then try again, but make sure you are on the HDMI input you want before you turn on the HDMI source (Wii U or PS4).

My PS4 broke last night :( It shuts down without fail about 5 minutes in to any game. It doesn't do the 3 beep and red light thing, it just glitches and shows artifacts all over the screen and then shuts down very quickly (no lights or anything).

Already contacted Sony and they are overnighting a prepaid shipping box.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
My PS4 broke last night :( It shuts down without fail about 5 minutes in to any game. It doesn't do the 3 beep and red light thing, it just glitches and shows artifacts all over the screen and then shuts down very quickly (no lights or anything).

Already contacted Sony and they are overnighting a prepaid shipping box.
How long was it working before this happened? No sign of any problem before now?

KeRaSh

My own PS4 thankfully works perfectly but a friends PS4 appears to be DOA :(

Amazon.de made in China
HDMI straight to TV
1080p
none
no

No matter what he does he gets a pulsing blue light along with "NO SIGNAL" on the TV
He already tried to start it without the HDD to force it into safe-mode and the "Hold PS Button on DS4" fix also doesn't seem to work. According to him the HDMI port is also fine.
Is there anything he can still try? :/

He might aswell try the "DS4 fix" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6N0ktQyI4g Best of luck to him to get it fixed or replaced fast!

Thanks for the hint but that didn't do anything. Not sure what he's going to do. He just wants a PS4 asap.

How long was it working before this happened? No sign of any problem before now?

Yeah, I was even one of the Taco Bell winners so I've been playing since the 14th. I've already probably logged about 40-45 hours of play since then, with no prior issues at all. The fan never got ridiculously loud, the console never felt hot, or any other warning signs.

That worries me more than a brick out of the box. I'd much rather have that than be worried my unit is a ticking time bomb, so to speak.

lifa-cobex

So I got my PS4 at midnight.

Had it on most of today. About half an hour ago it started powering off.
I turn it back on, in safe mode. Boots up OK then after a min or so it turns off again.
The light on the top stays white.

Any ideas Gaf? :(

~~Hasan~~

i am not sure if this is normal. but after couple of weeks usage. i noticed my PS4 is getting fan is getting louder as i play. it reach the maximum so far of 62db " used many of iOS apps and put the phone behind the ps4 where the fan air coming from.

this comes after like long play sessions. not 20 mins play. and usually it happen with heavy games like BF4 or Killzone.

PS4 fan noise won't get that loud when i play call of duty.

i wonder if 60 to 65 db is fine.

keep in mind its not as loud as fat xbox 360 or say umm old fat ps3. like.. i can't hear it if the tv sound is on unless i am very close to the ps4.

how is the fan noise for you guys. ?

lifa-cobex

So I got my PS4 at midnight.

Had it on most of today. About half an hour ago it started powering off.
I turn it back on, in safe mode. Boots up OK then after a min or so it turns off again.
The light on the top stays white.

Any ideas Gaf? :(

Update: took the hard drive out, checked it and seemed secure. Unplugged everything, checked them, plugged them back.
Booted it up. then tried holding the power button on for 7 seconds. Went to a blank screen. White light was still on.

Booted it up again, It stayed on for a few more mins longer than it had done but died again.
Still on solid white light.

Kvik

Update: took the hard drive out, checked it and seemed secure. Unplugged everything, checked them, plugged them back.
Booted it up. then tried holding the power button on for 7 seconds. Went to a blank screen. White light was still on.

Booted it up again, It stayed on for a few more mins longer than it had done but died again.
Still on solid white light.

Have you got another spare HDMI cable? Try replacing it. It could be a bad HDMI cable like dark10x described in his earlier post. Solid lights would indicate PS4 hardware itself was functioning normally.

lifa-cobex

Have you got another spare HDMI cable? Try replacing it. It could be a bad HDMI cable like dark10x described in his earlier post. Solid lights would indicate PS4 hardware itself was functioning normally.

I do. I'm just updating in safe mode at the mo so I will try it after.

cheers :)

edit: Will report back btw

Zapages

A friend of mine, who doesn't have an account here so posting on his behalf, had this happen after he updated to the new firmware:
http://instagram.com/p/hTDNGKyYf4/# (If you can't see the video, the TV screen flashes between black and white noise)

He got it from Amazon UK, connects with HDMI cable to a Samsung TV at 1080p. He tried different cables on different ports and same result.

Everything was fine until the update. Any suggestions?

Edit: It just started working again, but any explanation would be appreciated.

something like that happened to my HDTV (not PS4) while I was watching Cable TV. Its a HDMI issue or connector/pin issue on the PS4 (my guess).

I hope this helps a bit.

lifa-cobex

Been through a couple of rounds on Resogun and it seems to be fine.
On for about 20 mins.

Cheers dude. You have kindled my bonfire :)

Guys, I don't know where else to put this but are we supposed to get a stand with the PlayStation camera?

I ask as I have bought a megabundle with the camera included and i thought a stand shoulda been included....

Kvik

Been through a couple of rounds on Resogun and it seems to be fine.
On for about 20 mins.

Cheers dude. You have kindled my bonfire :)

No worries! Enjoy Resogun :)
I'm terrible at it

Guys, I don't know where else to put this but are we supposed to get a stand with the PlayStation camera?

I ask as I have bought a megabundle with the camera included and i thought a stand shoulda been included....

Unfortunately the clip isn't part of the bundle: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F63QTU6/ Which is in my opinion an oversight from Sony.

Top Bottom