• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Prey 2 cancelled, official statement due next week [Up: ZeniMax: No comment.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto

I remember a video of gameplay that looked really promising. And the press seemed to like it. It's a bit random to all of the sudden this rumor emerges with no preceding signs of development problems... Hope everything is OK.

Zeliard

Gemüsepizza;36293586 said:
Just speculating, but maybe they thought it would get a lot more attention if it will be a next gen launch title. If it really got cancelled, there must be something big going on at Bethesda, I mean the game was scheduled for release Q2/3 this year... Or mabye they want to publish the game under a new IP?

It could be a number of things. Stuff can look good (and things that are released to the public are meant to try and impress) but we aren't privy to the specifics of development in games.

If costs were just getting so high that the publisher didn't feel they could recoup them after release, that'd be a reason to cut development short and at least keep from sinking more money into it.

It is a fairly ambitious game. First-person open world games generally aren't cheap, and this one looked to have some good sci-fi production values and certain ambitious goals as well.

Of course nothing has been confirmed yet. It's entirely possible this is just BS. Remains to be seen.

Derrick01

Banned
I too am going to remain skeptical, but this industry is just shitty enough for it to be true.

So here's a pre-emptive fuck you to our wonderful industry!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Not believing this at all. The game was in a good looking state at the latest events, I can't imagine it would just be canned.

Will wait for actual confirmation.

Qwomo

I had serious doubts that this was (is?) going to turn out any good. Never really made me drool. I'm kinda surprised that it may have been canceled, but not super surprised.

EXGN

This would be awful, but at the same time I could see it. Seemed really ambitious, which means it was likely a resource hog.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
GOOD

I wanted a proper sequel to the first game. Not to have the storyline dropped just so they can go in a "new direction"(translation: chase after COD money by making it "uber badass")

The first game was not very good, this new direction looked more like Blade Runner meets Mirror's Edge than CoD. I dislike your comment.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What was shown/told was cool but maybe the rest of it was an unfinished mess that would take too much money to bring to par. Who knows? Can't say if it's sad or necessary without knowing its state. Oh well, you lose some you gain some (sleeping dogs etc).

Zeliard

I imagine Bethesda reps would denounce this soon enough if it really was a fake story. So if they don't, their silence would speak volumes.

Drencrom

This better not turn out to be true, seemed really good and ambitious.

Where will I get my 'cyberpunk open-world' dose elsewhere if not this or Deus ex?

zlatko

Banned
No way. The game looked up to snuff to at least sell 1-2 million units with some advertising I think.

If anything they should save it for next generation if need be. They have a good game on their hands, maybe they just need more time to make it a great one.

Is this the video game universe trying to remain balanced?

For a Dark Souls PC to be announced, another great game like Prey 2 must be sacrificed.

On one hand, a cancellation would be surprising considering all of the positive feedback it has gotten so far. On the other hand, I could see Bethesda looking at Syndicate bombing and getting cold feet over their own sci-fi/cyberpunk-themed FPS.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If this is true someone open a Kickstarter to fund the rest of development. Yeah, we can't raise $50 million, but we can sure try. :p

Deadstar

Wasn't linear enough to chase them COD dollars.

Fuck this industry.

You see the recent Double Fine press release? The point and click adventure game is going to be more "action oriented" and will now be a first person shooter so that they can make as much money as Call of Duty. That's what every game maker wants, right? To make a ton of money? They should all create military first person shooters. Now that's entertainment!

Empty

really hard to believe a random dutch site would have inside information about a game developed and published in america.

Valhelm

contribute something
Oh god, I really hope this isn't true...

This was one of the three games coming out in 2012 that I was most excited for.

Corto

If this is true someone open a Kickstarter to fund the rest of development. Yeah, we can't raise $50 million, but we can sure try. :p

Maybe Bethesda will keep hold of the assets of the game and IP? Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case and they keep it forgotten in an HDD somewhere.

i-Lo

Is this the video game universe trying to remain balanced?

For a Dark Souls PC to be announced, another great game like Prey 2 must be sacrificed.

Enlighten me, since when it great concept or a vertical slice of a alpha/beta build ensure its "great"ness?

I am not saying that Prey 2 is bad but it is an unknown. Of course, as a concept it has been shown as more than the formulaic mundane stuff currently available in abundance. It kind of reminded me Deus Ex HR.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I recently started up again Fallout New Vegas, it has a Prey 2 leaflet insert, I was like when was this game due, I mean a game from Nov. 2010 have an insert of a game still not released or any info is really strange

Go figure... Funny I see a thread regarding my thinking about it last night

525xR.gif

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The hell? ..NO NO NO

I refuse to believe,It was like hottest thing ever when it got revealed last year,come one PR department at Zenimax..deny this stupid story and nuke it to oblivion.

Please don't be true.

:(

stonedwal

Not really believing the story, but Bethesda did publish Rogue Warrior, so they are capable of unbelievable stupidity.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
For all Prey 2 looked well executed and promising, I felt it was doomed. It seemed to labor with the typical "shoehorn a semi-sequel into the events of the first game because we have no ideas" scenario. Kind of like why I'm unenthused about Prototype 2.

And of all the games to pick for that treatment... Prey? Essentially a cult classic but nothing most people would remember or care about. (I'm not dissing Prey.)

Ricker

Someone else will pick it up.
Personally I had no interest.

That's what I was thinking...maybe something like Square Enix did and picked up the open world Tokyo Third person shooter game,damn forgetting the name now,but it's Sleeping Dogs now...

DTJAAAAM

This was actually an FPS I was looking forward to since I enjoyed the first Prey. Sucks if it's true, but I guess we'll see next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom