• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kids on the Slope (Sakamichi no Apollon) |OT| Jazz was always there between us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic episode. I was smiling throughout the fight, the live session was like an anime Treme music break, and everything at the beach was well done. Great looking show too. Count me in as another one surprised by the Christianity subplot.

Branduil

There was a visual sequence early on in the second episode that I really liked:

iPZ4OVMRFKfTU.jpg

ibt77OE8Sa8ktR.jpg

ibbEHRNjvcPIXe.jpg

These shots are all spaced several shots apart, but I really enjoyed how they illustrated Kaoru's cousin's idle curiosity without drawing attention to it. A less confident director would have cut to a closeup of her watching him at some point, but here they just leave her unobtrusively small and unfocused within the frame. It's a good decision because his cousin really isn't an important part of this scene, but it's a nice little touch to add some visual fun to the scene and a little bit of characterization for a minor character.

There was a visual sequence early on in the second episode that I really liked:

These shots are all spaced several shots apart, but I really enjoyed how they illustrated Kaoru's cousin's idle curiosity without drawing attention to it. A less confident director would have cut to a closeup of her watching him at some point, but here they just leave her unobtrusively small and unfocused within the frame. It's a good decision because his cousin really isn't an important part of this scene, but it's a nice little touch to add some visual fun to the scene and a little bit of characterization for a minor character.

Wow... I didn't even notice that at all! The intro with Kaoru running up and down the stairs feverishly trying to nail the "swing" of Moanin' got a few chuckles out of me. Really enjoying this so far, and will be looking forward to it every week. The intro even grew on me once I got over that it doesn't sound like a typical Kanno track, Yuki's vocals make it really catchy.

Probably not. If the subject matter doesn't interest you, the quality of the production probably won't either.

Even if you aren't interested in the subject matter, you can still enjoy watching a quality show with engaging characters, a unique atmosphere, and all around great writing. It is just a flat out great show.

Mumei

Even if you aren't interested in the subject matter, you can still enjoy watching a quality show with engaging characters, a unique atmosphere, and all around great writing. It is just a flat out great show.

I agree. I wasn't too enamored by the subject matter (I like jazz, but the concept didn't sound especially interesting), but I am loving the show.

The first one is the actual anime soundtrack. The second one you linked is an image album created to tie-in with the manga years ago, made up entirely of jazz standards featured in the manga. It has nothing to do with the anime whatsoever.

Oh, ok.

Wasn't sure what the second one was.

Just listened to some of the samples, Someday My Prince Will Come is unsurprisingly lovely.

Ahh so is Apollon Blue.

Any legal streams other than Crunchyroll? I don't even mind the ads, but the specific ads this site has are just grating.

Great show so far - gorgeous art and so much atmosphere. One thing Watanabe does so well is give all the set pieces a sense of history and "lived-in-ness" - so many anime (and TV shows and movies in general) out there seem like they take place in static, sub-one dimensional cut outs.

EDIT: "My neck feels better" is the first time in weeks that I've laughed at something.

It will be available on The Anime Network and Hulu eventually I think, but right now Crunchy has the exclusive for at least a month.
Thanks! My CR free trial is ending soon anyway, so I might just wait until the show is over and take it in all at once. Ten weeks will just fly by, right? ;_;

Jubern

It's the same for the drums, actually.

I suppose it's a lot easier for what they are trying to achieve (hands animation actually matching the music being played).

CiSTM

Banned
It's the same for the drums, actually.

I suppose it's a lot easier for what they are trying to achieve (hands animation actually matching the music being played).
Did they use CG in Beck? They did great job with matching the animation with the instruments in it, best work I have seen so far... I won't start this show until all episodes have aired ;)

So I'm not very well-versed with anime. I've seen the complete Cowboy Bebop and a bit of Rurouni Kenshin, but that's about it. I've looked at more recent anime and there's something weird about the characters but I'm not sure how to explain it. It's like they're lighter, less detailed and don't exactly mesh with the backgrounds as well as they did in older anime show.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

So I'm not very well-versed with anime. I've seen the complete Cowboy Bebop and a bit of Rurouni Kenshin, but that's about it. I've looked at more recent anime and there's something weird about the characters but I'm not sure how to explain it. It's like they're lighter, less detailed and don't exactly mesh with the backgrounds as well as they did in older anime show.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Could be a heavier use of CG these days, but your complaint seems to be a case by case thing. I mean other than digital era anime looking shinier, there isn't much difference between now and then, especially with how many different art styles are used.

7Th

K-ON!(!) has the best drumming animation to ever grace anime; no CG, no rotoscope, all key-frame. KyoAni stylin' all over the industry as usual.

duckroll

I don't even think any of the animation in K-On is actually accurately keyed to the actual music performances. They just play some music, and the animation is just whatever looks "good" casually. Total failure, as expected of Kyoto Animation. 7th hyping up style over substance as usual.

----

Episode 3

It's amazing how much content they manage to pack into each episode. The dilution of time is really interesting considering how each episode is less than 20 minutes of actual footage. It's like a mini-movie every week. So good. The development of characters and the pacing of events are fantastic. The show really doesn't waste any time at all.

K-ON!(!) has the best drumming animation to ever grace anime; no CG, no rotoscope, all key-frame. KyoAni stylin' all over the industry as usual.

And as duckroll says, it's totally inaccurate and shows how little the show actually cares about music. It's a far cry from Kids on the Slope, which goes to great lengths to get its portrayal of music right visually, aurally, and even philosophically.

Branduil

Kids on the Slope 3

iNTUeTn5cfxTK.jpg

I-it's not like I want to play jazz with you, idiot!

Another solid episode. The
love quadrangle
is pretty standard stuff in of itself, but it works here because we've had two episodes to establish the characters, so we can identify with them as people and not just as shipping tools.

So much of this episode was based around the idea of characters watching other people, so it was really interesting to see how they worked with facial expressions and the framing of shots. I liked the scenes early on where Kaoru visited Sentaro's home, the contrast between their families really hit home due to Kaoru's reactions; you could sense the sad feelings of envy in his eyes. And Kaoru taking the lead in their plan, and Sentaro's tentativeness, was a nice reversal of the usual roles.

The performance scenes in this sure are awesome. This one even had a couple of shots where the piano-playing wasn't CGI!

Anyway, that was a smooth move, Kaoru. Chicks love Disney songs.
It's nice to see the confession come this early.
I haven't read the manga, but this compressed adaptation has been really impressive so far; this show has such nice pacing.

I don't watch anime, but loved Cowboy Bebop. Giving this a try! Two episodes in and it's really great! I love the idea that it's a self-contained story so I know it won't go on forever. Even by the end of the second episode I really love the melancholic tones and the coming-of-age (as cliche as that sounds) vibe.

Cool stuff!

Ultimadrago

Kids on the Slope 3

N0z3C.jpg

"Narf!"

The ask-out
was lulz for my day!

Them bus wheels!

Also delicious
NTR and confession
!

I'm not crowning it best of the season yet, but I will be here for more of this.

Also, more happens in one episode of Kids on the Slope than 50 episodes of K-On!(!)

Jubern

Episode 3

It's amazing how much content they manage to pack into each episode. The dilution of time is really interesting considering how each episode is less than 20 minutes of actual footage. It's like a mini-movie every week. So good. The development of characters and the pacing of events are fantastic. The show really doesn't waste any time at all.

Yes
My impressions exactly. It's really incredible what they are able to do with such a simple story.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Thanks guys, guess I missed the link in the OP

Watching first episode...damn the animation is good, feels good to watch good anime again.

-Stranger-

Episode 3

Wow what a great episode, the pacing is still superb.
They fit so much detail into 22 minutes and it never feels rushed.
The band scenes are fun, it truly captures the spirit of the music.
Animation is excellent and the story while fairly simple is hooking me in.

I haven't enjoyed a new series this much in awhile.

wonzo

Banned
Kids on the Slope 3

Wow, three episodes in and not once has this show failed to put a great big smile on my face. The musical sequences in particular are especially amazing to watch.
A confession in episode 3!? Slowjo really is dead!

zeroshiki

Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 3

I don't know, It could be because I watch a lot of dorama but the main conflict in this episode just didn't click with me. I got the whole youth in love thing but the pacing was just too breakneck so much so that I had a hard time buying into how much their relationships have developed that they'd feel love.

This does have one of my most favorite confession scenes ever though. I'll give it massive props for that. I think what would have been better was if:

Kaoru says nothing and Ricchan figures it out just from the song and the performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom