• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not only english voice act in game - do you have your favorite game in your language?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
So Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus is having voice acting in brazilian portuguese, and this is cool. Bethesda also did in Doom (2016), and a lot of past games have it.

I remember playing in the 90's Grim Fandango, Worms and a game called Knights Chase, all in cheesy portuguese. Maybe the best of all was Grim Fandango because of the jokes.

Then it came Max Payne and oh boy, it was awesome. The voice of Max in portuguese really does justice for the character. The only problem was the edit. It's weird how they cut one sentence to another. It's kinda rushed.

Max Payne 3 was another level. The game is based on Brazil, so a few characters were brazilian and they speak brazilian portuguese (duh). Rockstar did a fine job to get our culture, but a bad decision to hire voice actors from Rio de Janeiro while the game is on São Paulo - very different accents.

So Gaf, let's show trivia and stuff about our not english voice acting a little.

mnemonicj

This is pretty awesome, Portuguese is beautiful.
I always game in English, despite Spanish being my native language and I have never looked into games featuring Spanish audio.
I actually didn't think it was that commonplace and always thought that the Language selection in games was meant for subtitles.

Freddo

Very few games have support for the Swedish language. And if they do, I quickly change it to English.

Back when Black & White was released in 2001, the game released here was only in Swedish. There was a huge outcry about it, so eventually EA ended up releasing a Swedish->English patch for the game, heh.

The only times I've felt that the Swedish dub was noticeably better than the original, was with the original Power Puff Girls cartoon in the late 90s, and the Cobra anime series in the early 80s.

Rellik

I'd like every game from now on to come with multiple patches for British. I want every single British accent fully voiced.

Imagine Geralt with a scouse accent. Or Nathan Drake with a geordie accent. It would be glorious.

Reki

There aren't many games dubbed to my language (to the specific regional variant of it, that is) but it was SO refreshing to find it in BoTW.

They hired pretty competent actors too, so for me the VO of the game is a 10/10, as opposed to the general consensus in english-speaking places.

Grim Fandango did have a legitimately great german dub as well. When I played the english version years later, when my language skills were up to par, it basically felt like I was playing the exact same version, the german dub was really close in tone and quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37VNUd_ph1o

Other than that, there were Gothic 1 and 2, but I don't know if they count as they are German games to begin with. The first game's german voice acting isn't all that great to be honest, but it's a masterpiece compared to what I've heard of the US dub. The second game however has legit great voice acting.

German video game dubs and translations in general are pretty horrible though.

Opa-Pa

Not many games out there get latin american dubs, although it's getting kind of commonplace lately, but the recent Breath of The Wild one was superb, and I did a Bloodborne playthrough with LA voices after beating the game too and those were pretty good as well.

Metal Gear Solid also had a wonderful made in Spain dub. So good in fact that many latin@ players love it, which is super rare to say the least.

Z6E1Z9O

Neo Member
just cause 3 was hilarious in arabic because they used lebanon's arabic accent even tho the voice acting was bad

Very few games have support for the Swedish language. And if they do, I quickly change it to English.

Back when Black & White was released in 2001, the game released here was only in Swedish. There was a huge outcry about it, so eventually EA ended up releasing a Swedish->English patch for the game, heh.

The Swedish voice actors for the Ratchet & Clank games are amazing though. I've definitely heard their voices in high budget Disney films too. 99% of the time I prefer English voices, but Sony did a hell of a good job with Ratchet.

Surfside

Banned
I play most releases in english these days.
But Breath of the Wild was the exception, as i played that in german.

And now i can say, without irony, that it has excellent voice acting.

MCD250

Even though English is not my native language, I usually play American games in English with English subtitles, mostly out of a desire to absorb the writing as it was originally intended. The only game I haven't played in English in recent years is The Witcher III, which I played in Polish with subtitles set for my native language. It was a pretty cool experience, and Geralt's Polish voice sounds cool as hell too. The English voice (from what little I've heard of it) seems kinda goofy by comparison.

Sentenza

Italian here.
Even some of the best Italian adaptations have often felt competent at best.

I.e. A lot of people in my country praised the italian voice over for the Batman Arkham games.
Truth is that while they sound "professional" (it's the same people dubbing the italian version of the '90s cartoon), none of them comes anywhere near to listening to brilliant performances like Mark Hamill in original.

And that's one of the best case scenarios.

In short, I always tend to stick to English, despise not being my native language.

I think the only exception to this rule has been Grim Fandango. The Italian voice over for that game was (for the most part) absolutely phenomenal. Maybe not "better" than the original, but at least on par in most cases.

Top Bottom