• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Campaign live on Fig

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Aside from a few companions, wasn't Abell one's work mostly scrapped? I seem to recall that being a big reason why he left.

The lead writer wasn't Avellone, it was Eric Fenstermaker who left Obsidian to spend more time with his family or something.

Altazor

Aside from a few companions, wasn't Abell one's work mostly scrapped? I seem to recall that being a big reason why he left.

IIRC it was the Grieving Mother and he wanted to take her character arc down a weirder path, including a "mental dungeon" or labyrinth of sorts and then yeah, a lot of the character ended up re-written. It was still one of the most interesting companions, IMHO - if not the most.

EDIT: also, yeah - Avellone wasn't lead writer.

Stevey

Looks great and I wish them well in the funding campaign, but I'll have to wait til release for this one.

sleepnaught

Wow, that looks incredible. Totally in for the $199 Collectors edition. Haven't gotten around to finishing the two expansions for PoE 1. Will we have to wait for release date to get the PoE 1+ expansions that are included in some of the tiers?

peakish

This looks great. Funny that what I was hoping for in the other thread is here with the more dynamic scenery and improved lighting!

splashouxu2.gif

I'm looking forward to what they're planning with game systems and what not. I'll back it soon.

-NeoTB1-

Backer #82. First game I have backed (on any platform) since Divinity: Original Sin 2. PoE was a great experience. Looking forward to this, even without contributions from Chris Avellone.

Herla

Aside from a few companions, wasn't Avellone's work mostly scrapped? I seem to recall that being a big reason why he left.

I meant Eric Fenstermaker, who also seemed to have some good ideas about a potential Pillars sequel according to a codex interview.

PnCIa

Cant watch the trailer at work, but i will back this once i am at home.
The gifs show some greatly improved magic effects, i hope that melee-combat gets more effects as well. Blood, dust, sparks etc...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I hope they tone down the spell and ability effects. It got the point in PoE, and Tyranny as well, where it became really hard to differentiate characters and enemies and other important details with all sorts of lights and stuff being on screen all the time.

Feeroper

I'm in at $44. I went all digital with the first one back when that KS campaign started, so I went all digital this time, but made sure to grab the digital Guidebook as well - I loved the first one so glad that I can get a digital version here. I'm backer # 290.

In for $29.

Absolutely adored Pillars and the Druid class. Easily the most time I've put into a game that wasn't an MMO or Minecraft in the last 10 years.

Dsyndrome

Didn't see it until I clicked a link in my email, if you've backed a Fig campaign before, you should get $5 off your pledge if you went with $29 or higher. Brought the Premium Digital down to $40 for me.

Dineren

Banned
I posted this in another thread, but Josh Sawyer and Aarik Dorobiala have been streaming for the past couple of months on Twitch with Aarik playing Pillars while Josh answers chat questions (many of which are related to gameplay changes he would make in a sequel).

You can watch the four they've done so far here:

Gonna repost from the other leak thread since that will be locked shortly I imagine.

I'm not sure I'm going to be interested because of how much I soured on the plot/direction of the first game's story changing so dramatically to [MAJOR END GAME STORY SPOILER]
being driven entirely by "atheism is the secret truth" while simultaneously keeping souls as being actually real. It just didn't feel self-coherent within the game's own narrative unless you look at it purely through a Judaeo-Christian context for God(s) (with a capital 'G'). Most religions throughout history have had a much more fluid concept regarding the nature and being of god(s) (with a lowercase 'g'). Ascension to godhood, old gods dying and new ones being born, these are not uncommon themes throughout history, but POE treats it like the non-eternal origin of the gods fundamentally invalidates the very real and godlike powers/eschatology that these beings exerted over the millennia.

It just didn't seem that theologically destructive to me in the context of their universe, particularly given that the 'ascension and death' of Waidwen didn't fundamentally upend their theological culture in the first place. Hell, even in our universe I think those beings would clearly be worshiped as gods even if you knew they used to be human. That plus it's not clear how they square away the incredibly hand-wavey explanation for the god's creation with the soul cycle theology which apparently was of eternal origin.

It wouldn't be that much of a problem if it wasn't for the fact that they seem to be focusing on continuing that narrative. I never played the expansion, but the descriptions of it and this second game make it sound like you're
basically just going through the gods one by one
. Tyranny had the same problem where the scope of the problems your character is dealing with keeps expanding to absurd world-changing levels and your character obviously becomes the most important person to ever live. I just don't find those kinds of power-fantasy stories very interesting, same problem spoiled Tyranny for me too.

I had problems with interiors AND exteriors, lol. Travelling from the Dyrwood to the White March took me like 3 minutes of loading.

In any case, I'll definitely have a better PC when Deadfire arrives, so it won't be as bad as PoE1... I hope so 😅

Right but now they are using streaming to try to completely eliminate any loading for interiors.

So no Avellone and no Fenstermaker... This is probably going to mostly Josh Sawyer's show?

Narrative lead is Carrie Patel who I believe worked on the first game as well.

Gahhh it looks so good! And the nice thing is they aren't splitting up the backer copies in terms of "one price if you're early, one other price if you're not" so it's okay to wait for a bit and be sure. Going to have to back this - PoE was too good and knowing Obsidian it will be a very good game that comes out...

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Easily in for $45.

Gotta wonder if they plan on doing Expansions the same way they did with White March for PoE (as that stuff isn't in their funding levels anywhere). So either no pre-plans for DLC or DLC plans are contingent on sales. I hope they choose to skip the DLC altogether.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm in the first 2,000 pledges, hooray me.

Really digging the new lightning effects on spells in that gif.

Arulan

Congratulations! You are officially the 56th backer of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire by Obsidian Entertainment.

I decided to go with the Elite Collector's Edition again, I may consider changing it to the signed version later.

Lets hope they have enough time/money to make a good game. I felt the game fell apart once act 3 shows up.

I didn't buy any of the expansions because of this. I don't know if it got better with them.

Easily in for $45.

Gotta wonder if they plan on doing Expansions the same way they did with White March for PoE (as that stuff isn't in their funding levels anywhere). So either no pre-plans for DLC or DLC plans are contingent on sales. I hope they choose to skip the DLC altogether.

No stretch goals yet but might announce there.

It will be interesting- with PoE1, I feel like the expansions were instrumental in keeping the team focused on updates in the year after release. I doubt it would have had the same level of post-release support if they had moved right on to PoE2.

Maybe with PoE2 they feel more confident that they won't need that same refinement period so are going to take a wait and see approach?

[MAJOR END GAME STORY SPOILER]
... but POE treats it like the non-eternal origin of the gods fundamentally invalidates the very real and godlike powers/eschatology that these beings exerted over the millennia.

I agree with you here. It is a very interesting twist from a personal perspective, of 'artificial gods', but ultimately I don't think it would really throw the whole world for a loop. Their personalities, powers and influence is very real and would not go away even if everyone knew they were constructs. If this secret is the main crux of the game, I will be disappointed.

However, judging by all the 'questions' you supposedly have, I imagine we're going to learn a lot more about the divine soul process that throws things for a bit more of a loop.

I never played the expansion though, but from descriptions of it and this second game it sounds like you're
basically just going through the gods one by one
. ....

To spoil it a bit, you basically learn that something happened in the past and the gods were going to destroy the world. One of the gods stepped in and saved us, but was 'killed' in the process. He came back, but he lost some of his memory, power and portfolio. One of the other gods repaired him a bit, took some of his stuff, and is generally trying to look out for him because she may or may not have a thing for him. One of the endings has you restore the god to his old self (doesn't even say thanks)

I'm pretty curious where all we're going to go with this. I imagine as the watcher, we'll be learning more about our own soul personally since our previous self was pretty important back in the day. Maybe they'll be a party member/major NPC?

Top Bottom